Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Volume Training

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Legits

Hanley wrote: »
    Incidentally, my plan for the next while;

1) Lots of 3-5x3-5 on big lifts, combined with morning KB workouts for the next 3 weeks in preparation for SFG L1, and getting shredded

2) Smolov Jr for the deadlift (just to see what happens) pair with some bench intensive westside style max effort work for 4 weeks, and attempting to continue to lean out

Why is it a good idea to do Smolov during a cut I thought that would be harder on the body than GVT?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Legits wrote: »
    Why is it a good idea to do Smolov during a cut I thought that would be harder on the body than GVT?

Depends on how you approach it really.

Smolov Jr is more neurologically taxing than GVT would be, so less structural adaptation means lower kcal requirements.

Plus because I've an extensive training background, I'd be trying to relearn/regain lost strength, "muscle memory" for lack of a better term I guess.

On top of that, I won't be doing much else other than trying to recover from benching and DLs, so not too bad. I also know my limits and how to structure my own training and not just mindlessly bury myself with volume and intensity.

So are you right, ish. Smolov Jr will be hard without those qualifications and above. And GVT is disgusting on a kcal deficit because it's only goal is to break your muscle down for regrowth, which requires kcals.

Have I made ANY sense there?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Legits

Hanley wrote: »
    Depends on how you approach it really.

Smolov Jr is more neurologically taxing than GVT would be, so less structural adaptation means lower kcal requirements.

Plus because I've an extensive training background, I'd be trying to relearn/regain lost strength, "muscle memory" for lack of a better term I guess.

On top of that, I won't be doing much else other than trying to recover from benching and DLs, so not too bad. I also know my limits and how to structure my own training and not just mindlessly bury myself with volume and intensity.

So are you right, ish. Smolov Jr will be hard without those qualifications and above. And GVT is disgusting on a kcal deficit because it's only goal is to break your muscle down for regrowth, which requires kcals.

Have I made ANY sense there?

Yeah makes sense to me especially the "muscle memory" and common sense know your limits approach, but I suppose its not an optimal Smolov program as it will be done without a calorie surplus?

I was doing a b*stardised gvt for upper body mostly cause i liked the results versus conventional strenght training. Does High BF give you any insurance(for want of a better word)with regard to recovery and Kcals required?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Legits wrote: »
    Does High BF give you any insurance(for want of a better word)with regard to recovery and Kcals required?

Every kg of bodyfat can contribute about 40cals of energy a day so the fatter you are the higher a deficit you can run.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

First session of GVT last night and it was quite hard.

Did Bench and Chin ups/One arm DB row.

I failed on rep 9 of fifth set of chins so did One arm DB rows for next 5 sets. Ill stick with that idea and go as far as I can with chin ups and finish the sets/reps in Db rows until I can do 10x10 chins.

I have to say, I like it. Just get stuck in a get it done.

I felt awful for about an hour after. Got pretty lightheaded and quesy. Felt ill. Figure this is due to hydration and eating as opposed programme though. Will be mindful.

Legs tonight. Should be funny.

• Advertisement

I failed on rep 9 of fifth set of chins so did One arm DB rows for next 5 sets. Ill stick with that idea and go as far as I can with chin ups and finish the sets/reps in Db rows until I can do 10x10 chins.

Bad idea, the whole point is to overload one movement/ group of fibers. You should be failing to reach ten reps about set 5-6 then continuing on with the ten sets. When you can do 10x10 not missing a rep then you up the weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

You should be failing to reach ten reps about set 5-6 then continuing on with the ten sets.

For as many reps as possible each set is it??

Bad idea, the whole point is to overload one movement/ group of fibers. You should be failing to reach ten reps about set 5-6 then continuing on with the ten sets. When you can do 10x10 not missing a rep then you up the weight.

Thats cool. Sound for that. Makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Is it just me or is the single arm dumbell row not a total waste of time designed to strain your back.......would a lat pulldown machine not be a better alternative assuming there is not assisted pull-up or bands available?

When I have failed, it have tried rest pause to complete the reps, but sometimes your fried, sign you started too heavy. The first few sets should be easy enough...the aim is to get the volume in where by set 6,7,8,9 and 10 the last few reps are having to be shaken out.

The pull-ups are the ones that get me too....I don't know many people even serious workout people with 10x10 strict form pull-ups in a 45 minute timeframe with another exercise being supersetted, maybe if you can kip them out but not strict form with lockouts.....i

Some tips for the pull ups:

Use straps, seriously your grip will shut down before anything else.

Focus on feeling the lats pull the arms, this is where straps help as you can be locked in and ignore the grip a bit.

The point is to start hitting failure as you get fatigued that's the point of this program so there's no shame in doing sets 1-5 10 reps then 8, 6, 6, 4 , 2 etc for the last few sets, it shows the program is doing its job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I would imagine people aren't very strict on their rest periods between sets while doing GVT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

JJayoo wrote: »
    I would imagine people aren't very strict on their rest periods between sets while doing GVT.

Mine are stopwatch timed the last week or so. Ensures no deviation

Did legs tonight. I am following the program that poloquin outlines for beginners as best as possible but a busy gym makes it pretty difficult.

He says this:

"One, and only one, exercise per body part should be performed. Therefore, select exercises that recruit a lot of muscle mass. Triceps kickbacks and leg extensions are definitely out; squats and bench presses are definitely in."

And then goes and programs leg curls and hammer curls and seated calf raises. Whats that about?

I dont want to go messing with the program as I realise people so that all too often and bastardise mose program but if one was to only have a squat rack, a bench, a barbell and dumbells could this program be done?

Would be indebted to any suggestions of exercise selection?

tldr I dont wanna change the program but I do.

He says this:

"One, and only one, exercise per body part should be performed. Therefore, select exercises that recruit a lot of muscle mass. Triceps kickbacks and leg extensions are definitely out; squats and bench presses are definitely in."

And then goes and programs leg curls and hammer curls and seated calf raises. Whats that about?

Poliquin advocates a narrowish stance high bar back squat going atg with this type of squat its beneficial to program in leg curls as hamstrings aren't hit as much as glutes and quads.The leg curls are a not necessary but a good addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,390 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Starting this today here in Canada, just recently moved here and have been out of training for a few weeks, this should be fun!

Gintonious wrote: »
    Starting this today here in Canada, just recently moved here and have been out of training for a few weeks, this should be fun!

Given youve been out for a while, the days after leg day will be spent walking like a duck.

Luckily Canadians are so damn polite they wont laugh at your gimpiness.

Did the chest and back yesterday with my canadian buddy, explained to him what we would be doing and the look on this face said it all.

As for me, got through the bench with 70kg and chins were done as best as they can be, a few slow eccentrics to keep the volume up. Happy with the bench considering I have been out of practise now for a while, strength should come back up soon enough cause I had good numbers before I left.

Also as a side note, gyms in Vancouver really are something, its $120 for 3 month unlimited membership to community centres, and they are very well equipped, hammer strength racks and even an oly platform in the one I am in, the others all have other things, like one up near Queen Elizabeth park as an olympic pool. Very impressive stuff.

Just finished the first week of this, I am ruined.

After legs I was walking like John Wayne after a term at a christian brothers school!

Arms are nicely sore and so was the chest and back.

Love it.

Finished the first 7 day cycle today.

Second legs session last night was a little easier than the first. I have been eating an unholy amount of food though. Eating relatively clean too. Lots of peanut butter though.

Im taking a pic each morning and gonna do a slideshow for myself at the end of the 9 weeks to see the difference.

Not worrying about calories at the min just eating lots every few hours so looking forward to seeing the results when finished.

Looking forward to that slideshow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

Finished the first 7 day cycle today.

Second legs session last night was a little easier than the first. I have been eating an unholy amount of food though. Eating relatively clean too. Lots of peanut butter though.

Im taking a pic each morning and gonna do a slideshow for myself at the end of the 9 weeks to see the difference.

Not worrying about calories at the min just eating lots every few hours so looking forward to seeing the results when finished.

So your going to ignore the single most important part of any transformation ? Calories and macros.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

dor843088 wrote: »
    So your going to ignore the single most important part of any transformation ? Calories and macros.

Thousand upon thousands of body composition transformations take place without ever counting a calorie or a macro, Your way works for you, and other ways work for others....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

xgtdec wrote: »
    Thousand upon thousands of body composition transformations take place without ever counting a calorie or a macro, Your way works for you, and other ways work for others....

just cos you dont count them doesnt mean they arent playing their part.

I suppose if you have a million stabs in the dark a few will hit the target I accept that . Im not religious so eating and praying it will work doesnt suit me .

My way works for everyone.

I suppose if you have a million stabs in the dark a few will hit the target I accept that . Im not religious so eating and praying it will work doesnt suit me .

and if you have a million calorie & macro counters a few will stick to its tedious boredom enough to see the same results

and if you have a million calorie & macro counters a few will stick to its tedious boredom enough to see the same results

Not going to argue with you . You know quite well diet is the most important aspect of bodycomp and taking w wild guess is not a good idea and someone could potentially waste hours and hours in the gym if its out by enough(easily done) . Im not saying anyone should or shouldnt do anything but there is an optimal way to change body comp and ignoring your diet (which is what was said ) is in my opinion a terrible idea.

Not going to argue with you . You know quite well diet is the most important aspect of bodycomp and taking w wild guess is not a good idea and someone could potentially waste hours and hours in the gym if its out by enough(easily done) . Im not saying anyone should or shouldnt do anything but there is an optimal way to change body comp and ignoring your diet (which is what was said ) is in my opinion a terrible idea.

I couldnt be more aware of the role of diet, i dont wild guess anything and i dont tell others to either..theres a big difference between eating a solid healthy balanced diet and just eating with disregard or ignoring your nutrition. In no way shape or form did i say to ignore your diet, i said calorie and macro counting was not a definite requirement for successfull body recomposition.

I couldnt be more aware of the role of diet, i dont wild guess anything and i dont tell others to either..theres a big difference between eating a solid healthy balanced diet and just eating with disregard or ignoring your nutrition. In no way shape or form did i say to ignore your diet, i said calorie and macro counting was not a definite requirement for successfull body recomposition.

I told the guy not to ignore his calories cos he said he wasnt worried about them. Solid advice doesnt go down well around here does it. You said you dont wild guess anythin? So you do count your cals just badly is that it? Your aguing with me for the sake of it mate look at my original post you jumped on .

• Advertisement

I told the guy not to ignore his calories cos he said he wasnt worried about them. Solid advice doesnt go down well around here does it. You said you dont wild guess anythin? So you do count your cals just badly is that it? Your aguing with me for the sake of it mate look at my original post you jumped on .

The OP isnt worried about his calories...im not worried about mine, you maintain the single most important part of any transformation is calories and macros....and i think your wrong. Im not arguing with you, im just discussing it.

Advertisement