Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Never liked Romaleos; opinion unchanged.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,261 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Who gives a **** what they look like? What's the advantages / feel / design of either?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,536 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Got some free protein powder samples and gave them a try this morning. Had Nutristrength goat and sheep whey. Combined with milk, I ended up drinking the whey of 3 different animals at once. New PR.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Who gives a **** what they look like? What's the advantages / feel / design of either?

Isn't that the only real reason people get new lifting shoes? Otherwise the things last for years! With the amount you wear them wear and tear is slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

They need to match the hoodie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Respectful to Boards and how great and active the fitness forum has become.......
    Is there any other health/fitness forums you guys visit and post in? just out of interest....asking for a friend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Respectful to Boards and how great and active the fitness forum has become.......
    Is there any other health/fitness forums you guys visit and post in? just out of interest....asking for a friend

r/powerlifting and r/weightlifting are good subs. I avoid r/fitness like the plague though, /fit/ is also kinda the same.

Never liked Romaleos; opinion unchanged.

I love adidas but if I could get my hands on a pair of the varsity red Romaleo's I might have a shoegasm.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Fitness and xxfitness

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

bluewolf wrote: »
    xxfitness
    I understand what they were getting at, but they really didn't think it through.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Ah I like it though

Anyway here's baby warm ups for extra gainz

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPJqZzRBOol/

Omar Isuf said his old weightlifting coach has had to move....but that he has a big announcement that his new one is a wizard.

Clarence?

He does comment on certain tweaks he made that are like what Clarence does...

Clarence with a 200kg raw bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

2 questions.

I do seated OHP and having issues getting bar off/on the rack as is sore on the rotator cuff reaching back to get bar off and on. Any suggestions?

When doing dips have been getting a pain right between my pecs. Normal or doing something wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

TRS30 wrote: »
    2 questions.

I do seated OHP and having issues getting bar off/on the rack as is sore on the rotator cuff reaching back to get bar off and on. Any suggestions?

When doing dips have been getting a pain right between my pecs. Normal or doing something wrong?

One, neither can I. Can you use DB's?. Or do you shoulder press on a machine or Smith machine?. Or have someone spot you and start the initial lift?.

I've never experienced pain between my pecs on dips so I can't help you with that one I'm afraid.

Are dips a relatively new exercise for you?

2 questions.

Unrack at the front/address your shoulder mobility.

If you're leaning forward into the dips, you're working your chest. I used to do this as a main chest exercise (with a 3-4 second negative) and it was really beneficial for chest size. Try keep more vertical to keep the chest less engaged and the triceps more engaged.

One, neither can I. Can you use DB's?. Or do you shoulder press on a machine or Smith machine?. Or have someone spot you and start the initial lift?.

I've never experienced pain between my pecs on dips so I can't help you with that one I'm afraid.

I work out at home in a shed so too low to do standing version. DB's are only 15kg and doing 50kg at the minute.
    Are dips a relatively new exercise for you?

Yep, new rack I got has dip handles on it.
    Unrack at the front/address your shoulder mobility.

If you're leaning forward into the dips, you're working your chest. I used to do this as a main chest exercise (with a 3-4 second negative) and it was really beneficial for chest size. Try keep more vertical to keep the chest less engaged and the triceps more engaged.

Not sure can unrack at the front as bench will not go far enough forward in rack. Any good exercises for shoulder mobility?

Thanks for tip on the dips could be that I'm leaning forward a bit, will try to stay more vertical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Not sure can unrack at the front as bench will not go far enough forward in rack.

Do it standing. Problem solved.

JayRoc wrote: »

Shed roof not high enough.

• Advertisement

JayRoc wrote: »

Do you mean unrack it standing and then sit down?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Clarence with a 200kg raw bench.

I love watching this guys videos despite knowing nothing about lifting.

I take it he competes, does he do well in competition? The depth he gets in squats with that weight is class, would he still go that low in a comp where he dosent need to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Do you mean unrack it standing and then sit down?
    No, but tbf you said you haven't the clearance for a proper press so fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I've recently been introduced to blending up foods which I really like. It saves me a lot of time and effort while being able to take in a nice chunk of calories at once without having to go through the process of eating it all (currently on a surplus). I only do this for a post workout meal where I will blend up 3 eggs. banana, 20g oats, 10-20g peanut butter, ~150ml milk and a scoop of protein powder. Nice quick way to get in around 800+ cals.

My question is; am I missing out on anything by doing this or disadvantaging myself in any way? e.g. missing out on any nutrients, minerals, vitamins? I'm guessing no as none (apart from the eggs) involve cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 compeatingpear

Cake Man wrote: »
    Sorry if this is a stupid question but I've recently been introduced to blending up foods which I really like. It saves me a lot of time and effort while being able to take in a nice chunk of calories at once without having to go through the process of eating it all (currently on a surplus). I only do this for a post workout meal where I will blend up 3 eggs. banana, 20g oats, 10-20g peanut butter, ~150ml milk and a scoop of protein powder. Nice quick way to get in around 800+ cals.

My question is; am I missing out on anything by doing this or disadvantaging myself in any way? e.g. missing out on any nutrients, minerals, vitamins? I'm guessing no as none (apart from the eggs) involve cooking.
    Add a fist full of spinach, you wont taste it and you get a load of good nutrients.

IvoryTower wrote: »
    I love watching this guys videos despite knowing nothing about lifting.

I take it he competes, does he do well in competition? The depth he gets in squats with that weight is class, would he still go that low in a comp where he dosent need to?

He hasn't competed since 2013 cause of injury and subsequent decision to not compete, presumably possibly cause he's on dat dere supplements.

He's not a powerlifter, he's a weightlifter so there is no 'competition depth' for him, there's just squat how low you can.

Cake Man wrote: »

You are probably losing a little protein from the eggs as raw egg protein isn't as bioavailability as a cooked egg protein. But you are talking about 50% of the 20g in 3 eggs.

If you are ok with that keep doing it I guess. But if you are adding eggs mostly for extra protein then you might as well just add 10g of whey*. And maybe 10g coconut oil or fish oil to replace the fats in the eggs.

*or cook then :p

Not sure can unrack at the front as bench will not go far enough forward in rack. Any good exercises for shoulder mobility?

Thanks for tip on the dips could be that I'm leaning forward a bit, will try to stay more vertical.

Just search "shoulder mobility exercises" on YouTube and you'll find something!

Just search "shoulder mobility exercises" on YouTube and you'll find something!
    @TRS30
    Shoulder dislocates and scap push ups will go a long way here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Doing some perusing on Bulkpowders this afternoon - anybody tried any of their stuff other than protein? Like COQ10 for inflammation, the AM:PM multivits etc.

I'm taking gainer atm with a scoop of L glutamine and creatine, multivit, omega 3/6/9, Chlorella & Spirulina and ZMAs

All seems to be working fine but interested to hear what you fine folks might be supplementing your efforts in the gym with.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement