Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It's insane that he even came up with the idea to do that! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    His instagram generally is just crazy. Sick athlete - lots of crazy jumps and unbridled explosiveness on show.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BNx0yx_gj6c/?taken-by=armenian_strength

This is just incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Is this guy our new Clarence?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Is this guy our new Clarence?

Nah Clarence is just Clarence.

Dan Weierich isn't a weightlifter, though it's in his blood (he's Simon Martirosyan's cousin I saw him post once). He does athletics but I only ever see him do crazy squats, deadlifts and jumps.

Turns out he didn't make too many friends at a powerlifting comp by dumping his opening squat (~267kg) like this:

https://www.instagram.com/p/52wnoHL7ba/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Stupid spotters, they are on the platform to protect the lifter not the fecking floor

Stupid spotters, they are on the platform to protect the lifter not the fecking floor

• Registered Users Posts: 36,261 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Yeah, pretty perfect bail out. I guess someone like him who trains with bumpers probably never has spotters on max attempts and has learned how to bail without them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭b_mac2

I've always wondered why they don't use bumber plates for PL competitions?

b_mac2 wrote: »

Imagine trying to put 700+ pounds on a bar with bumper plates, the bar would want to be 10 foot long.

• Advertisement

Here's a thought given that I saw someone get injured when a lifter dumped 400kg 2 weeks ago...... why not just makes spotters optional and put padding, crash mats or whatever beside them so that if they dump, the lads don't end up with hundreds of kilos suddenly in their hands?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

JJayoo wrote: »

Don't see how it's the spotters fault. 99% of the time lifters at comps don't dump a bar like that.
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Yeah, pretty perfect bail out. I guess someone like him who trains with bumpers probably never has spotters on max attempts and has learned how to bail without them.

That's all well and good but it looks like the spotters weren't anticipating that at all. He should have told them how he is likely to bail on a lift.
    b_mac2 wrote: »

They're not needed. The spotters aren't there to stop the bar being damaged by landing on the floor. They are there to protect the lifter. The majority of people in PL squat low bar which doesn't lend itself to an easy bail out the same way the high bar squat does, due to greater forward inclination and how bar is held on the back. A lot of powerlifters are considerably less flexible as well which adds to the difficulty of bailing out.
    Imagine trying to put 700+ pounds on a bar with bumper plates, the bar would want to be 10 foot long.

Depends on what manufacture you are talking about. You can load about 305kg with Eleiko bumpers and collars. Whereas with ZhangKong you could probably get about 350kg. Paralympic powerlifting use 50kg bumpers which are about the same width as the 25kg plates.

What powerlifting really needs to do is adopt the spotting straps that some of the monolift feds use (if there's one thing they've done properly it's this). For me that's the best solution. It would also negate the need for spotters on the squat which would make for a better spectacle.

The spotters are there to help the lifter get the bar back up. They're there to lighten the load by 40kg (for example) and also provide a bit of support so that the lifter gets back up.

They have a duty of care to the lifter but so does the lifter for them. Dumping a load like that means a risk of injuring spotters. If you're not going to make it, indicate you're not.

That's not going to cover all incidents but it certainly means you don get something like that kind of a dump, which is a dick move because while he got out safely, he potentially risked injuring spotters.

I agree that it looked like a text book dump. I agree that he should have informed the spotters that he would behave in such a manner if he missed the lift. I agree that there has to be caution on common sense on all sides basically.

Text book dump......

Chris Duffin posted his opinion on it, he did not agree with me :(

Text book dump......

Chris Duffin posted his opinion on it, he did not agree with me :(

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Christmas has officially started- Strongman is on the telly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Can't make the lift? Dump the bar. Gotta dump the bar? Do it like that.

If you can telegraph the bail out to your spotters, you absolutely should. If you can't, you can't. The spotters have a duty to the lifter, sure, but as with everything, their first responsibility is to themselves. If they don't know how to get outta dodge, they shouldn't be on the platform.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

We dumped the bar in oly because it's safer but rhe spotters are there to help you lift up a failed lift, not to have 400kg thrown at them
    If you fail it's not gonna have been by much that's why they are there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Again, everyone's first responsibility is to themselves. The guy had to make a choice; hope the spotters could help him out or go with what he knows. I can't see anyone compromising their own safety in that split second for fear of offending the spotters. And in fairness, "thrown at them" is an exaggeration; he jumps out from under the bar and the bar goes in almost a completely straight line downwards.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭OCEANIC FIZZY POP NINE

Mountain out of a molehole is all im seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Dumping isn't really an option for a low bar squat and I'd say it's just a case of habit kicking in and dumping the bar like he would normally.

My friend in Galway has just signed up for a gym programme with a local PT. He told her it was gonna be a personalised programme etc, which would be ideal as she has never gone to a gym or lifted weights before. As soon as she paid he sends her a 100page ebook, tells her to buy a barbell set and the following supps.

BCAA'S
    glutamine
    L carnitine tartrate
    Creatine
    Beta alanine
    Vit b12, b and c, zinc, msgnesium
    GABA
    L Tryptophan

Apparently there will be a private Facebook for the 30 girls signed up but that's it. 190 euro for some cookie cutter shiite he downloaded.

'One hundred and ninety' I'd am anagram of 'crock of sh*t'.

That said, it might help her get into it. Hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭dashoonage

My friend in Galway has just signed up for a gym programme with a local PT. He told her it was gonna be a personalised programme etc, which would be ideal as she has never gone to a gym or lifted weights before. As soon as she paid he sends her a 100page ebook, tells her to buy a barbell set and the following supps.

BCAA'S
    glutamine
    L carnitine tartrate
    Creatine
    Beta alanine
    GABA
    L Tryptophan

Apparently there will be a private Facebook for the 30 girls signed up but that's it. 190 euro for some cookie cutter shiite he downloaded.

Hello...can you provide more information about the cookies please?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭whippet

Wow!!! That's a bargain ... for the PT !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

JJayoo wrote:

BCAA'S glutamine L carnitine tartrate Creatine Beta alanine Vit b12, b and c, zinc, msgnesium GABA L Tryptophan

That honestly saddens me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

BCAA'S
    glutamine
    L carnitine tartrate
    Creatine
    Beta alanine
    GABA
    L Tryptophan

The only thing that annoys me is that she disregarded you and went to some snake oil spoofer.
    Doorstep yer man get a refund, and you coach her for the price of a slab of beer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Good few people in the gym today
    I guess we're all working off the hula hoops

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement