Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Have to second the Bulkpowders Vanilla - find it spot on, not too sweet which some of the vanillas can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Went with a BP order anyway to try it out, hopefully should be okay - ON is best I've had tastewise anyway - had PHD vanilla for a while and you'd nearly have a headache from the stuff

Will update with my thoughts anyway - got some multivits too, pretty good site, easy to navigate and seem to have a broad range of products

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭EmcD123

Ordered last Monday. Arrived on Thursday.

It must just be me having terrible luck then

• Registered Users Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

EmcD123 wrote: »
    It must just be me having terrible luck then

They probably think you have enough PRs and don't want to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

A coach from the German national team and one of his youth lifters were training in my gym today. He actually trained here for 6yrs while studying and stopped by for a few days as his lifter is doing a competition nearby this weekend. Was a serious lifter back in the day aswell, 160kg snatch and all.

Apparently my technique is pretty good, a few issues with my jerk (which is a consistent weakness for me) which he looked to fix but after 10~ months since my first snatch/clean and jerk, it looks fairly good which feels pretty good to know. It was also pretty interesting seeing his lifter who's not a whole lot stronger than me, just move so much more explosively than me with reasonable weights.

• Advertisement

They probably think you have enough PRs and don't want to help.

And theres still plenty more to come! they'll never stop me

Apparently my technique is pretty good, a few issues with my jerk (which is a consistent weakness for me) which he looked to fix but after 10~ months since my first snatch/clean and jerk, it looks fairly good which feels pretty good to know. It was also pretty interesting seeing his lifter who's not a whole lot stronger than me, just move so much more explosively than me with reasonable weights.

The explosiveness takes ages to get, your technique needs to be pretty dialed in for it.

Jerks are everyones weakness! theyre probably the hardest part of the olympic lifts.

EmcD123 wrote:
    The explosiveness takes ages to get, your technique needs to be pretty dialed in for it.

Yeah I dunno why but for some reason power snatches always feel fast and explosive compared to normal snatches. My lifts are about the same between them but I find that I emphasise on keeping as smooth a pull as possible more on regular snatches but I become slower as a result. Making them both fast and smooth will take time, patience and lots and lots of reps so I think.
    EmcD123 wrote:
    Jerks are everyones weakness! theyre probably the hardest part of the olympic lifts.

Yeah I always assumed I could Clean+Jerk a lot because my front squat is around 160-165, and I always stand up with no trouble in cleans, but my jerks just suck completely.

I reckon it's almost entirely down to my ****ty dip and drive as my push press is only slightly higher than my strict press.

The german coach and his weightlifter were in the gym again today and I had the awesome experience of watching him make a snatch pr of 120, which was a 1kg PR according to his coach.
    He posted the lift on IG shortly after

https://www.instagram.com/p/BNcYGCQgnGs/?taken-by=m._huber

The yellow plate-like things on the bar were actually part of the video analysis equipment they use to watch the bar path, speed etc. which was class to see aswell.

wow that guys quick, I love how quick he locks his elbows. Im a long way from that

• Advertisement

Yeah I dunno why but for some reason power snatches always feel fast and explosive compared to normal snatches. My lifts are about the same between them but I find that I emphasise on keeping as smooth a pull as possible more on regular snatches but I become slower as a result. Making them both fast and smooth will take time, patience and lots and lots of reps so I think.

Yeah I always assumed I could Clean+Jerk a lot because my front squat is around 160-165, and I always stand up with no trouble in cleans, but my jerks just suck completely.

I reckon it's almost entirely down to my ****ty dip and drive as my push press is only slightly higher than my strict press.

Im terrible at power snatches,always catching them too low. The speed on the snatch primarily comes from the pull-under part and how quickly you can reverse direction from pulling up to going down. So even people who pull really slowly can look really fast if they're aggressive enough when it comes time to pull under, Snatch High pull +Snatch complexes work really work to increase the power in the last part of the pull

I also warm up with muscle snatches to try and get my elbows to press out harder since it'll make it easier during the real thing

Ive given up on the split jerk,my power jerk is now significantly ahead of it. You should try doing moderately heavy jerk dips from a rack like 110-120%of your max jerk ,found this really helps

EmcD123 wrote:
    Im terrible at power snatches,always catching them too low. The speed on the snatch primarily comes from the pull-under part and how quickly you can reverse direction from pulling up to going down. So even people who pull really slowly can look really fast if they're aggressive enough when it comes time to pull under, Snatch High pull +Snatch complexes work really work to increase the power in the last part of the pull

Have you done/would you recommend tall snatches, where you just drop under the bar from a dead hang?

He was doing some yesterday with cleans, before he went heavier with hang cleans, and apparently they're excellent for getting low fast and pulling under the bar.

Have you done/would you recommend tall snatches, where you just drop under the bar from a dead hang?

He was doing some yesterday with cleans, before he went heavier with hang cleans, and apparently they're excellent for getting low fast and pulling under the bar.

Ive never done those,had to youtube them, they look like they would be great for that,they'd also be great for warming up your bar path since you'd never get it overhead if it was going forward. Different stuff works for different people though depending on what your exact issues are at that point, some stuff will only make specific issues you have worse, thats where a coach really helps

Annoying little sh*t knocked off the bar the other night when I was doing skullcrushers on a bench. Once, I can forgive.

So I finished the set and sat up to see where he was....when I spotted him trying to use a dipping belt as a powerlifting belt and was struggling to tighten it with the chain and keep it locked.

It kept distracting him by loosening...when he was doing lateral raises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Annoying little sh*t knocked off the bar the other night when I was doing skullcrushers on a bench. Once, I can forgive.

So I finished the set and sat up to see where he was....when I spotted him trying to use a dipping belt as a powerlifting belt and was struggling to tighten it with the chain and keep it locked.

It kept distracting him by loosening...when he was doing lateral raises.

Its the worst form of clumsiness.My other half cant seem to walk by my with out banging into me it pisses me off.If someone knocked into the bar i was lifting i would address it straight away,no need for that.

drdeadlift wrote: »
    Its the worst form of clumsiness.My other half cant seem to walk by my with out banging into me it pisses me off.If someone knocked into the bar i was lifting i would address it straight away,no need for that.

It was a relatively tight space so it can happen - it's not like the clowns who walk between squat racks when people are squatting and play 'dodge the moving bars'.

But the first time it happens you figure out a way to not make it happen again.

It was a relatively tight space so it can happen - it's not like the clowns who walk between squat racks when people are squatting and play 'dodge the moving bars'.

But the first time it happens you figure out a way to not make it happen again.

Dont you just love it when you unrack a heavy single and you can barely stand up with it and some idiot tries to go under to pick up a 2.5kg plate thats right under your bar when there's loads of other perfectly good ones all over the place

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Dont you just love it when you unrack a heavy single and you can barely stand up with it and some idiot tries to go under to pick up a 2.5kg plate thats right under your bar when there's loads of other perfectly good ones all over the place

Honest to God - it has happened me twice in the past month, and in one case I was struggling to rerack the bar after a very tough set and nearly hit a guy ducking in for a plate. He then had a go at me to watch where I was going :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,536 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

A good while back, I was waiting for someone to finish their set to get some blocks, so just waited nearby, staring at the ground. Yer man had stopped and had started keeping an eye at me through the mirror. I realised I happened to be staring near to where his phone was so he probably thought I was trying to nick it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Never thought she was going to make that. Shaking like crazy.

Ho-Lee Shīt

Controversial yet epic pun

Never thought she was going to make that. Shaking like crazy.

The squat looked easier than the walkout.

210kg at 47kg.

Unbelievable, Jeff!

The squat looked easier than the walkout.

Welcome to the Jeison Lopez Club: Where every step with the bar looks like torture, but the squat looks like piss.

Welcome to the Jeison Lopez Club: Where every step with the bar looks like torture, but the squat looks like piss.

In all of the possible scenarios you could think of when she started walking that out, actually making the squat probably only made it onto the list as an afterthought. Looked like she'd concertina under it.

In all of the possible scenarios you could think of when she started walking that out, actually making the squat probably only made it onto the list as an afterthought. Looked like she'd concertina under it.

Im pretty sure she's a 48kg olympic weightlifter who competes for chinese taipei. The hkgrip taipei instagram has photos of her, she's not even a powerlifter

Unless im wrong and im thinking of the wrong person:P

Im pretty sure she's a 48kg olympic weightlifter who competes for chinese taipei. The hkgrip taipei instagram has photos of her, she's not even a powerlifter

Unless im wrong and im thinking of the wrong person:P

That's her alright. Medalled in '08.

But she's entered PL comps as well so she's not like a weightlifter having a go at powerlifting, per se.

That's her alright. Medalled in '08.

But she's entered PL comps as well so she's not like a weightlifter having a go at powerlifting, per se.

Like when Toshiki Yamamoto unofficially set a new WR at his first PL meet last year. Pretty crazy to think about what he did, while being a fairly average weightlifter at the top level.

Went to a powerlifting competition today. I squatted 165 which is fairly crap considering I've front squatted 160. I want to do another one next year though and this time I'll spend more than 2 weeks doing back squats after having not done them for 8 months.

But enough about my average lifting. There was waaay cooler stuff that happened here.

Some guy -93kg benched 282.5kg equipped (but still crazy numbers). He went for 300 after but missed. Having looked at the IPF website, the WR is 305. Seriously strong guy.

Here's the clip I recorded:

Before that though, another guy from his team attempted a 400kg squat, after going 370,385. The lift was crazily intense to watch but one of the spotters could've nearly lost his hands after the squatter bailed. I cut the clip as the guy was screaming in pain (and nobody wants to hear that). I think he was alright afterwards though.

Here's the clip I recorded:

Any of the powerlifters have opinions on this? All I know is, it was intense **** to watch happen 10ft in front of me.

All in all it was a well-run meet. Things moved quickly but not too quickly so the full-power guys were wrecked. One thing I don't understand is why the equipped and raw lifters lifted alongside each other and no differentiation was made in the wilks calculations. I dunno if it's normal here, but I though PL meets always separated raw from equipped lifters.

Anyway, it was good fun and a cool experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

Anybody know of any decent gym in Rome for a once off session, bit of benching etc. Staying near the Pantheon. Normally I wouldn't give a ****e, it's just that I have a meet the following week!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement