Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Options
  • 13-06-2013 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭

Eat bigger meals less frequently, Works for me to stave off hunger.

Agree with this tbh.

Stuff myself at meal times and then dont even think about food for a long time.
    Eat bigger meals less frequently, Works for me to stave off hunger.

Doesn't work for me I'm afraid. Would be much easier if that was the case!
    Blacktie. wrote: »
    Anyone know if you can buy beef jerky or any of that kind of dried meat stuff in Ireland?

Jabula on Strand Street (off Capel Street) sell biltong, droewors, boerewors etc.
    Jabula on Strand Street (off Capel Street) sell biltong, droewors, boerewors etc.

Is it brand stuff they sell or homemade? If brand do you know the name of it?

Last time I was there they had Hunter's, Boks and Caveman Supersnacks (who have since gone out of business). Been a while since I've been so couldn't tell you exactly what they have now, they do have an online store if you wanna check.

Happy Friday everyone!

Would someone be able to answer this for me, please.

I bought coconut oil yesterday (for the first time) - Cocowel Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (tub) to be precise.

There was another type beside it that looked exactly like olive oil - can't recall the name.

1) Did I choose the right one?
    2) Can it be used for cooking almost anything?

anyone have any issues with myprotein website? It seems a bit glitchey on firefox. I tried to order 4 different flavours but they all showed up as the same in my basket. Then it keeps logging me out.
    ronanc15 wrote: »
    Doesn't work for me I'm afraid. Would be much easier if that was the case!

What's your total training volume?

and goals?
    Heat_Wave wrote: »
    Happy Friday everyone!

Would someone be able to answer this for me, please.

I bought coconut oil yesterday (for the first time) - Cocowel Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (tub) to be precise.

There was another type beside it that looked exactly like olive oil - can't recall the name.

If coconut oil can flow out of a bottle, it's probably crap. The good stuff is solid at room temperature. So yeah, you chose the right one
    Heat_Wave wrote: »

1)Yes
    2)Yes
    What do you guys recommend for high satiety foods.
    Soup & protein

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Here it is, the new OT thread.

Keep it clean, keep it classy.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

FIRST!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Hanley wrote: »
    FIRST!

Sucker punched by a ninja merge!

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Brian? wrote: »
    Sucker punched by a ninja merge!

ModW*nker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Hanley wrote: »
    FIRST!

You wish tubby!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

In relation to my goals, first stop is 10% BF. Working on improving my 3 big lifts at the same time (trying Hanley's RevFit methods on the dead and squat), have PRs to break for each of them.

Have plenty of protein, so no worries on that front.

On a side note Did a bit of Crossfit style training yesterday AM, a not so gentle reminder that not all forms of fitness/strength are interchangeable!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

In relation to my goals, first stop is 10% BF. Working on improving my 3 big lifts at the same time (trying Hanley's RevFit methods on the dead and squat), have PRs to break for each of them.

Have plenty of protein, so no worries on that front.

On a side note Did a bit of Crossfit style training yesterday AM, a not so gentle reminder that not all forms of fitness/strength are interchangeable!!

If you're dieting down then the unfortunate truth is your going to have to be feeling hungry a fair amount of the time.

Here's couple of hunger tips

2-3g of dl-phenylalanine can help lower hunger
    Hitting the fiber caps can also help, I recommend 3/4 a tablespoon of Psylium husk in 1 ltr of water.

Chewing gum.

Diet soft drinks, I'll catch flak for this but hitting some cans of coke zero can go along way to blunting carb cravings.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I wish I had to worry about going on diets, as they say I'm a ectomorph and really struggle to gain weight loose weight in a blink though.

Was considering trying one of the many weight gainers but have heard most of them just make you fat which isn't ideal either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

I wish I had to worry about going on diets, as they say I'm a ectomorph and really struggle to gain weight loose weight in a blink though.

Was considering trying one of the many weight gainers but have heard most of them just make you fat which isn't ideal either.

Have a homemade one and make sure you put healthy stuff in It.

If you're dieting down then the unfortunate truth is your going to have to be feeling hungry a fair amount of the time.

Here's couple of hunger tips

2-3g of dl-phenylalanine can help lower hunger
    Hitting the fiber caps can also help, I recommend 3/4 a tablespoon of Psylium husk in 1 ltr of water.

Chewing gum.

Diet soft drinks, I'll catch flak for this but hitting some cans of coke zero can go along way to blunting carb cravings.

Wouldn't agree that you have to be hungry a good deal of the time, but maybe thats a personal thing, it's just the days where I'm training twice that the hunger is showing the head in a big way. I think its probably my meal timing I need to work on aswell.

Will try the psylium husk too, cheers! Chewing gum defo makes me hungrier, stomach thinks its getting a bit of grub from all the chewing lol

• Advertisement

Have a homemade one and make sure you put healthy stuff in It.

That what I have been doing up until last week when I got sick was having a smoothie once a day with almonds, red skin nuts and powdered oats in it to bring the calories in it right up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Guys just going to be doing some squats today and was wondering what you think of the routine I've been doing for the last couple of weeks. I'm aiming to build up strength.

From the last day:

Normal Squats (Parallel)
    60kg x 5
    70 x 5
    80 x 5
    90 x 5
    100 x 5
    90 x 5

Front Squats (Ass to grass)
    40 x 5
    50 x 5
    60 x 5

Seated Squat Machine (I don't know the official name for it)
    It depends on the gym I'm on, I'm alternating between UCD and my local gym, but roughly:
    100 x 8
    150 x 8
    200 x 8
    220 x 8
    240 x 8

There's so many differing theories on sets and reps etc, but this one feels good! However I've been considering increasing the reps on my squats to 6 or maybe even 8.

Honestly I'm pretty god damn clueless ha, any thoughts appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

x-post from YLYL
    order-now-and-get-the-abspear-free.png

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

The last few weeks as part of my current diet I have been having 500g re-feeds on a Sunday. Every week I try to add in a little treat just to make things interesting. The treats I have had over the other weeks have been, low fat crisps, pop-tarts and pancakes. Now I am stuck for ideas for a nice treat. Must be low enough in fat and high enough in carbs...suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

DL Saint wrote: »
    The last few weeks as part of my current diet I have been having 500g re-feeds on a Sunday. Every week I try to add in a little treat just to make things interesting. The treats I have had over the other weeks have been, low fat crisps, pop-tarts and pancakes. Now I am stuck for ideas for a nice treat. Must be low enough in fat and high enough in carbs...suggestions?

Cake!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Went for pints last night, paying today. :(

Just made a batch of chocolate biscuit cake.

Went for pints last night, paying today. :(

Just made a batch of chocolate biscuit cake.

Tried to make biscuit cake a few weeks back and it was an epic fail.

Biscuit cake sounds nice, got the recipe by any chance? :).

Biscuit cake sounds nice, got the recipe by any chance? :).

With the way mine turned out, you're best waiting for googled eyes to reply :pac:

I used Rachel Allens recipe.

150g (5oz) good-quality plain Chocolate, chopped
    150g (5oz) Butter
    2 large tbsp Golden syrup ( I used honey)
    225g (8oz) semi-sweet biscuits, such as digestives, crushed
    25g (1oz) Hazelnuts or Almonds, toasted and chopped (optional)

1. Melt the chocolate with the butter and golden syrup in a large bowl sitting over a saucepan of simmering water on a low heat.

2. Stir in the crushed biscuits and nuts (if using) until well blended. Spread into a 23cm (9in) diameter round cake tin or a 20cm (8in) square tin, lined with greaseproof or parchment paper.

3. Refrigerate for a couple of hours until well set, or pop into the freezer for 45 minutes. Cut into 16 pieces.

I'm waiting on my good lady wife's workmate to bring in her sisters recipe. Very nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

You need to add in maltesers, crunchie & those tiny marshmallows, THEN it's biscuit cake.

Malteasers/Crunchie !!!! I knew something was missing from Rachels recipe

I'm not pushed on the marsh mellows in it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

Technically when you add marshmallow it's rocky road, not chocolate biscuit cake. The Odlums recipe is good, just make sure to use good quality chocolate, not Homecook, Cadburys, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Technically when you add marshmallow it's rocky road, not chocolate biscuit cake. The Odlums recipe is good, just make sure to use good quality chocolate, not Homecook, Cadburys, etc.

Pffft
    Technicalities

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

I thought rocky road had raisins as well? Anyway it all tastes good *wipes spit from phone screen*

• Registered Users Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Crunchies are bloody rotten,ruin any type of Biscuit cake....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

BM5ItIECYAA9JB2_zps93856728.jpg

Has anyone tried this yet? It's really really good. 22g protein.

Want!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Never seen it sold in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Discount supplments shops and fitness ireland? (smithfield) sell it apparently

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement