Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet.

https://twitter.com/BAMIrl_/status/977125310796914688

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Phen2206

Indeed the white cladding is going up, from bottom up, on the shaft now. Imagining it from the artist's impressions, I think it will be quite the showpiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭Blut2

Delighted to see them working so fast. It bodes well for whenever construction gets started on the new runway, hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Blut2 wrote: »
    Delighted to see them working so fast. It bodes well for whenever construction gets started on the new runway, hopefully.

Is that due to start this quarter or is that the tender process that's happening with construction to start in Q3/4?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

DY moving ARN/CPH and HEL to T2 from 27 April, OSL still showing T1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    DY moving ARN/CPH and HEL to T2 from June, OSL still showing T1.

I'm assuming OSL will move as well, would make zero sense to maintain a presence in both terminals for the sake of 1 route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Got a text from Norwegian yesterday saying that my flight to Oslo in May will be from Terminal 2.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Interesting, and I thought T2 was struggling for gate space/availability

• Registered Users Posts: 17,578 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Locker10a wrote: »
    Interesting, and I thought T2 was struggling for gate space/availability

Before 08:00 and during the early wave of transatlantics yes but what time are the Norwegian flights at. Mainly afternoon and evenings.

T2 has oodles of capacity outside of the morning period above.

S Gates will be used by them I suspect for most short haul. Most of their flights fall in peak T2 usage.

Moving from 100 to 400 is costly while there is not much room. S Gates would be cheaper than 100 gates because busing is involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 denis halpenny

Came through terminal 2 wednesday morning coming home from new york. Went to passport control and all 10 e gates closed. Anyone know why?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

Came through terminal 2 wednesday morning coming home from new york. Went to passport control and all 10 e gates closed. Anyone know why?

If you came off the first wave arrivals (the 5 am wave), half the pssengers are for Transfers and of the remaining half only about half that number are EU passengers (mainly Irish). In short the 3 officers needed to run 10 Gates can process more passengers either as non EU or in Transfers. As the loads increase for the Summer, I’d expect they will be open at 05:00.

It’s also shift change at 06:00

• Registered Users Posts: 23 denis halpenny

i see well have to say there was a huge queue i came in on the 08.45 flight. it took sometime to get through. Thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭davebuck

Are The various court cases now finished as regards the construction of the new runway as there’s a lot of delay between phase 1 which has cleared the site for the runway and phase 2 the construction of the runway?

davebuck wrote: »
    Are The various court cases now finished as regards the construction of the new runway as there’s a lot of delay between phase 1 which has cleared the site for the runway and phase 2 the construction of the runway?

Yes to the point that any further cases will cost massive amounts of money for the residents to fund. They lost the argument on costs for the last stage so that will have cost each one of the residents several thousand already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Yes to the point that any further cases will cost massive amounts of money for the residents to fund. They lost the argument on costs for the last stage so that will have cost each one of the residents several thousand already.

Did the objectors pay out of there own pockets or was someone covering there legal costs?

roadmaster wrote: »
    Did the objectors pay out of there own pockets or was someone covering there legal costs?

The application for costs was made by the residents and lost.

Who would be covering their legal costs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭roadmaster

The application for costs was made by the residents and lost.

Who would be covering their legal costs ?

You would never know you could have enivromental groups and an taisce types etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Noxegon wrote: »
    Figured general chat is the best place for this.

At the moment (18:45 Friday) there are eleven aircraft queuing up for take off. The new runway can’t come soon enough.

810pm there are six.

All of them 20 minutes "late" taking off, at the very least. One 30 minutes "late" another is an hour. The last one was probably late arriving... the others... just standard Dublin departure delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

810pm there are six.

All of them 20 minutes "late" taking off, at the very least. One 30 minutes "late" another is an hour. The last one was probably late arriving... the others... just standard Dublin departure delays.

The visibility is 900m and lowest cloud 200 feet. That may be a factor also.

• Advertisement

No. I've found in Dublin you never push back on time, certainly in my experience anyway. 20 minutes "late" is my recent average. In general I haven't been late on stand at the arrival airport so the timings are not too bad in the grand scheme of things but it still results in frustrated passengers.

Push Back punctuality has improved significantly over the last 2 years despite extra flights each year. Its typically 80-85% out of Piers 1-4 and had remained largely constant even with an extra 2-3 million passengers. I am sure there are timers when there are issues at DUB that cause delays but more often than not its slow boarding.

Aer Lingus overtook Ryanair as the most punctual airline at the airport largely because of FR assigned seating and baggage policies. Not sure who is top of the table this year but both are really focusing on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭trellheim

Figured general chat is the best place for this.

At the moment (18:45 Friday) there are eleven aircraft queuing up for take off. The new runway can’t come soon enough.

If there is only a single preferred departure runway why do you think this situation will change ?

GVHOT posted
    A simple google shows Dublin’s runway isn’t long enough to allow the application of this procedure. Previous lander needs to 2500m from the threshold which in Dublin is basically bravo 7.
    which I do not understand . Can someone clarify please.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

trellheim wrote: »
    If there is only a single preferred departure runway why do you think this situation will change ?

Because the other will take the landings?

Granted; that will not put a big hole in OP's 11 queuing to takeoff though. At the moment in the morning peak you can see the queue extending back a long way even without the arrivings (theres not that many in the early morn except the TA's having to be fitted in ) so I doubt an extra landing runway will deal with the issue.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

So if there's not a lot of arrivals, there will be nothing to prevent parallel departures from both runways, as long as there are no flow control restrictions into the UK airspace, which can limit the separation between flights getting airborne.

That will help reduce the wait time, but it won't reduce the ramp congestion issues that can cause backlogs of aircraft that have pushed back, started, but then can't get to the active runway. Solving that will be a lot more complex, and require some serious infrastructure to properly deal with it.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

So if there's not a lot of arrivals, there will be nothing to prevent parallel departures from both runways,

Apart from the planning restrictions we talked here about imposing a single preferred departure runway ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

trellheim wrote: »
    Apart from the planning restrictions we talked here about imposing a single preferred departure runway ? :)

Which will be managed by have one runway as departure only as that is the preferred departure runway, and the other one as mostly arrivals but with departures in the gaps as a mixed mode runway, as it is the non-preferred departure runway.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

It should come into the "management flexibility" that is allowed, even if all they do is put the jets on 28L and the turbo props on 28R, there will be ways round it.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭Jacovs

https://www.dublinairport.com/regulation-and-planning/regulatory/airport-cdm

Due to start trials this coming week and if succesful will be fully operational by october. All going to plan it should help reduce taxi times amongst other things.

• Advertisement

Which will be managed by have one runway as departure only as that is the preferred departure runway, and the other one as mostly arrivals but with departures in the gaps as a mixed mode runway, as it is the non-preferred departure runway.

I think that is not the definition of 'preferred' . As I understood it from the planning its LHR 09L 'non-preferred' i.e. you'll not be taking off from here unless its 9R is out of action, i.e. never during normal ops.

Advertisement