Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭embraer170

LXFlyer wrote: »
    Plenty of other airports use remote stands requiring bus transfers and indeed satellite terminals with airside rail/bus access. That's nothing unique to Dublin. Heck, even Zurich, one of the best designed airports around does it.

You are comparing the beautiful Zurich Dock E to the Dublin airport's latest shed?

Many airports do bus transfers, some even do them extremely well (Munich, Vienna, even some CEE airports) but the bus experience at Dublin airport is often shambolic: old/unadapted buses, too few of them, poor communication with the ground crew (leaving the bus sit in front of the aircraft for ages), etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,550 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

embraer170 wrote: »
    You are comparing the beautiful Zurich Dock E to the Dublin airport's latest shed?

Many airports do bus transfers, some even do them extremely well (Munich, Vienna, even some CEE airports) but the bus experience at Dublin airport is often shambolic: old/unadapted buses, too few of them, poor communication with the ground crew (leaving the bus sit in front of the aircraft for ages), etc.

No I’m not comparing the design of the terminals at all. I was commenting on the principle of being bussed to the aircraft/satellite as Trellheim was indicating it was indicative of poor planning.

Trellheim specifically mentioned being bussed to aircraft parked on remote stands, and in particular the EI Regional flights and seems to be rather upset about it. I don’t particularly think that using 4XX gates for an ATR is a particularly good use of capacity.

That was the comment that I was referring to and as per my previous post I used the example of Zürich as one where I’ve been bussed to Swiss aircraft parked on remote stands from the main terminal. By the sounds of things Trellheim wouldn’t be too happy about that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭trellheim

Meh you seem to think all I do is give out ; I'm happy to give people a well done when its deserved

This is specifically an airport infrastructure thread. I was using examples to point out why T2 is full and people have seized on the detail of both rather than the end result If we ended up in the shortsightedness of the planning we'd be here for another 300 pages

The report (PACE) above specifically mentions lack of aircraft stands and reinforces my point ;

Look back to when we had the sheds in T1 - pre the 100 gates; look at the utter chaos that was there before that. Now we are seeing temporary (ish) sheds again - are people really, genuinely, convinced that T2 is not full ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

trellheim wrote: »
    Meh you seem to think all I do is give out ; I'm happy to give people a well done when its deserved

This is specifically an airport infrastructure thread. I was using examples to point out why T2 is full and people have seized on the detail of both rather than the end result If we ended up in the shortsightedness of the planning we'd be here for another 300 pages

The report (PACE) above specifically mentions lack of aircraft stands and reinforces my point ;

Look back to when we had the sheds in T1 - pre the 100 gates; look at the utter chaos that was there before that. Now we are seeing temporary (ish) sheds again - are people really, genuinely, convinced that T2 is not full ?

Look at the biggest picture, yes lack of stands for around 2 hours in the morning.

T2 is not full, yes at peak times there are issues but its pretty normal in everything.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    trellheim wrote: »

Look at the biggest picture, yes lack of stands for around 2 hours in the morning.

T2 is not full, yes at peak times there are issues but its pretty normal in everything.

Yeah I’d agree, it’s lack of gates that’s the issue not the terminal itself being full. All the same it’s unfortunate from a planning perspective that this gate/stand issue has arisen so soon, less than 10 years after opening, glad there’s a plans to sort things out and hopefully a proper new pier will be built in the next few years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Photos of the new control tower are attached.
    Taken yesterday. A few different angles on the taxi out to Runway 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

KevR wrote: »
    Photos of the new control tower are attached.
    Taken yesterday. A few different angles on the taxi out to Runway 10.

Your just showing off that you got a go on an NEO:p:p:p

But in all seriousness, its rising quick.. I'm looking forward to it becoming part of the greater Dublin skyline

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Roughly how high will the new tower be? relative to the crane and what's there built now?

re. busses, I've been bussed 4/6 times I was in Schipol

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ax586

Roughly how high will the new tower be? relative to the crane and what's there built now?

re. busses, I've been bussed 4/6 times I was in Schipol

New tower will be 87 metres

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    At the rate its going up I'd say within the next 6 months.
    However when it becomes operational is a different matter.

Went by today Jesus bam are making some progress , I'd say they are nearly at height for the actual control area it self at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭roadmaster

For SAR helis

Who is actually building them is it CHC or IRCG. If it's CHC and they lose the contract in a few years would they simply sale on the base to the new contractor or what way does it work?

ax586 wrote: »
    How tall is the horizontal arm of the crane? for an rough comparison?

ax586 wrote: »
    How tall is the horizontal arm of the crane? for an rough comparison?
    Did you mean vertical or am I confused ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭plodder

Locker10a wrote: »
    How high is the horizontal arm? Or at what altitude does it reside, to use more aviationary lingo :)

plodder wrote: »
    Locker10a wrote: »
    How high is the horizontal arm? Or at what altitude does it reside, to use more aviationary lingo :)
    Oh I get you now

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭tb66

There is a lot of info about that crane in previous posts.Check from post #3017

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Highest point of crane is 164.8m (550ft) amsl according to Notams.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Highest point of crane is 164.8m (550ft) amsl according to Notams.

So around 90m.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Peregrine wrote: »
    So around 90m.

If the final height of the tower is 87m, the arm of the crane is going to be a lot more than 90m high.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭prunudo

https://twitter.com/IAApress/status/972081806773293058?s=19

According to iaa the tower is currently at 80m.

• Advertisement

Last Saturday the new tower was completely in the cloud. Is the Existing tower to be removed?

Last Saturday the new tower was completely in the cloud. Is the Existing tower to be removed?

No it won’t be.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

T2 Hotel gone back to tender.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Would the new tower be the tallest man made structure in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,109 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Doltanian wrote: »

Not even close, the Moneypoint towers are 218m (tallest free standing structures in Ireland, of which I can currently see flashing in the distance), compared to 87m the tower will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

No, there's a few cathedrals that are taller, and a whole bunch of chimneys, masts, and wind turbines, the Spire, Samson and Goliath, and some bridge structures.

Probably the tallest structure manned by a whole bunch of people though!

MJohnston wrote: »
    No, there's a few cathedrals that are taller, and a whole bunch of chimneys, masts, and wind turbines, the Spire, Samson and Goliath, and some bridge structures.

Probably the tallest structure manned by a whole bunch of people though!

It’s a building versus structure argument. It’ll be the tallest building on the island by 1.9m when finished. But it won’t be the tallest structure, that will be Strabane transmitting station at 305.5m. The argument will long rumble on as people will move the goalposts to have their nearest tallest. But for me as a structure with people actively working in it 24hrs a day at the top of it it’ll be the tallest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

I would say that the tallest manned structure in Ireland is currently the Crane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

It wont be the tallest manned structure, some cathedrals have spires 90M plus. However; it will have the highest occupied space, so once finished, unless your flying, the lads in ATC will be the highest people in the country.

This doesn't include NI where there is a building taller than the new tower.

Advertisement