Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which car is better to save up for?

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

You are commuting 114km every day w/o a car ?

Jeez :p

114km a day in a 15L/100Km car is about 17litres of fuel used a day (or about EUR27 a day)... that took 5seconds tops to figure out as Im not stuck in the 1950s (yes that is a petty snipe at that other thread EDIT: But not directly at you SG! :p).

A 12L/100km car (ie 540,740i) would cost about EUR21 a day
    A 10L/100km car (530i) is around EUR18 a day.
    A 6.5L/100km car (prolly realistic for a diesel in budget) is approx EUR11 a day.

Up to you how much you are willing to spend on fuel.

You could use my Calc to do these instead of working out btw:
    http://fuel.netcessible.com/FuelEuro/FuelEuro.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Ok let me do some math for ya.

114km = 72miles

72 x 5 = 360 miles a week just going to and from work @ 25mpg = 15 gallons or so which is roughly 75 litres @ 1.55 a litre for arguements sake.

Soooo thats €110+ euros a weke on petrol if you opt for the 645ci + guts of 40 a week on tax and you said yourself insurance was fairly hefty.

So thats guts of 200e a week just going to and from work +servicing/tyres and it never breaking down

Yup! I'd give up at 300e a week, but 200e a week is still bearable.

But yeah, the 320d would be about €80 less per week on fuel compared to the 645ci. And half the fun.

I'll check with a friend of mine (he does LPG installations here in Poland) and ask him if he's done any 545/645s at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Hey i can't help how my brain works :(

Hey i can't help how my brain works :(
    Lol I didnt even notice you did it all in imperial already.. holy $hit thats clearly more complicated! If you can do that, using Litres is no problem for you. :cool:

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Lol I didnt even notice you did it all in imperial already.. holy $hit thats clearly more complicated! If you can do that, using Litres is no problem for you. :cool:

Well, the 645ci with your calculator is about €150 a week on fuel alone. Ouch.

The 320d on the other hand is about €70.

I still like the 6 Series though. Maybe I should go down to the 630i or down the LPG road? :D

• Advertisement

Sobanek wrote: »
    Well, the 645ci with your calculator is about €150 a week on fuel alone. Ouch.

The 320d on the other hand is about €70.

I still like the 6 Series though. Maybe I should go down to the 630i or down the LPG road? :D

Or a 630i with LPG.. but thats another EUR1100 onto the capital cost for the car itself to account for and 630i's arent as cheap as 645i's to begin with. Mind you, the V8 is a better LPG candidate (more power, cheaper to buy, more basic injection system, older less fussed tech etc).

If you must go diesel, a 330D (or 530D, better again) would be cheaper to buy and miles nicer than the 4pot while not loosing your shirt on fueling costs.

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Or a 630i with LPG.. but thats another EUR1100 onto the capital cost for the car itself to account for and 630i's arent as cheap as 645i's to begin with. Mind you, the V8 is a better LPG candidate (more power, cheaper to buy, more basic injection system, older less fussed tech etc).

If you must go diesel, a 330D (or 530D, better again) would be cheaper to buy and miles nicer than the 4pot while not loosing your shirt on fueling costs.

Yeah, but then, I'd have a bit more left over from the tax + insurance :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Jaysus slow down there boss :P

1.0l corsas are where it's at and I'm a great promoter of these wonderful "cars" :pac:

But the 114km terrain might have some slight inclines!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭dingus12

I'm back again, been saving for this since Novemeber, great fun little affordable car, But the insurance is a nightmare, can't even get a qoute going as a named driver under my mums policy never mind in my own name, so to the OP you need to rethink what kind of car you want.

579267_10200151277800991_1722803842_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

dingus12 wrote: »
    I'm back again, been saving for this since Novemeber, great fun little affordable car, But the insurance is a nightmare, can't even get a qoute going as a named driver under my mums policy never mind in my own name, so to the OP you need to rethink what kind of car you want.

579267_10200151277800991_1722803842_n.jpg

Trust me, its a lot easier to insure 645i then ep3 civic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭dingus12

yea but the tax on a 645i compared to a civic is shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

dingus12 wrote: »
    yea but the tax on a 645i compared to a civic is shocking.

And what difference does that make if you can't get insured?

Isn't LM selling one ?

Pretty cheap too and last of the high revving european type r's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

hahaha didnt see this till now , this is my car in you opening post , and it will be up for sale shortly :D;)

P1010263.jpg

Haha, cool. Didn't know that - it's the first one that popped up after I searched for "bmw 645ci" :)

hahaha didnt see this till now , this is my car in you opening post , and it will be up for sale shortly :D;)

P1010263.jpg

Fine car it is too (was talking to you on BMW forums)

Your thread about owning it is really in depth (parts of it scared the crap out of me too)

Advertisement