Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which car is better to save up for?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

I don't really care about your finances to be honest; not my concern! so GREAT thread! :D

I'd have the 645i (GORGEOUS car, good taste man!) is that the actual one in the picture? I was looking at these myself - A black one. As for the interiors, Red/ White/ or Black leather - you really cannot go wrong, they're all stunning!

In joint second place i'd but the 996 and the CLS.

I don't really care about your finances to be honest; not my concern! so GREAT thread! :D

I'd have the 645i (GORGEOUS car, good taste man!) is that the actual one in the picture? I was looking at these myself - A black one. As for the interiors, Red/ White/ or Black leather - you really cannot go wrong, they're all stunning!

In joint second place i'd but the 996 and the CLS.

*** double post?... :confused: ****

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

heart.ico.gif this thread :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

I would be aiming for a black one alright ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Sobanek wrote: »
    YES :D

Oh lord
    If it is your first car.. go with an auld fiesta or something. Otherwise your beloved investment of a 645 will be dinged up within weeks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Oh lord
    If it is your first car.. go with an auld fiesta or something. Otherwise your beloved investment of a 645 will be dinged up within weeks!

Hahaha. Fiesta. lol2.gif

It won't.

Not owning a car ≠ Don't know how to drive a car

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

ALRIGHT GUYS

I have made a manly decision, and I'm choosing....

THE 645CI.

WHY:
    - More economical than M5
    - Easier to live with everyday
    - More modern than E39
    - Coupe instead of a Saloon
    - My dad likes it more :D
    - Still plenty of horsepower
    - Cheaper insurance

The M5 still will be on my "to get before I die" list, but for now, I think the 645Ci will be a very mad first car either way.

I will post here again as soon as I get the job, and will give you progress on my savings.

Thank you very much Boardsies. Definitely wouldn't have made this decision without ya all!
    Wiser choice I think, the engine is unstressed, so I'd be willing to bet the cost of repairing an M5 that it will not break nearly as often as an M5! Most M5's have had hard lives, and given that they're fairly highly strung in the first place, 15 years of hardship means busted wallets for current owners! Many 645i's have had a comparatively easy life!
    Oh lord
    What kind of driver were you??? The first time I touched off something accidentally with my car I probably had my license 3 or 4 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Hahaha. Fiesta.
    It won't.

Not owning a car ≠ Don't know how to drive a car

Agreed, I think my "first car" (as in 100% independently mine) was the Audi S4 (over 400bhp) but I had been driving for years beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

:eek:

A 645i shaped hole in a tree coming near you! :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Even though I'm not the biggest fan of the 645's looks. That's the one I'd probably have out of that list anyway! I would guess the M5 would make you cry with the bills it'll throw up.

• Advertisement

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    What kind of driver were you??? The first time I touched off something accidentally with my car I probably had my license 3 or 4 years!

I was a new one. Overly confident and overly ambitious.

I felt it was better to learn the limits of my spatial awareness in a car costing 500 than in one costing 10k

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

This thread has to be a windup...

21 years old, first car, minimum wage job, going back to college, just doesn't add up... :confused:

What about that other young lad on here who said he had a 535d :D

This thread has to be a windup...

21 years old, first car, minimum wage job, going back to college, just doesn't add up... :confused:

What about that other young lad on here who said he had a 535d :D

Me?
    Im picking her up tomorrow actually. Photos will follow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Me?
    Im picking her up tomorrow actually. Photos will follow

No, not you; there was some other Walter Mitty on this forum a few years ago with the username 535d or something similar and he used to ask loads of questions about the car, until he was eventually found out (with hilarious results!) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

No, not you; there was some other Walter Mitty on this forum a few years ago with the username 535d or something similar and he used to ask loads of questions about the car, until he was eventually found out (with hilarious results!) :D

That was bmw535d and the car in question was a Mitsubishi Evo.

We had a similar situation with some ape and a crossbred E92/E46 supercharged M3 in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

Would it not be cheaper to run a banger while working to get a years no claims? Your insurance will be cheaper when you get the car and you'd save on your 200/month transport.

I'm in college and its hard enough to keep a Punto on the road. I don't think you'll pull it off but I would love to be proven wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,529 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

We had a similar situation with some ape and a crossbred E92/E46 supercharged M3 in the US.

That was the thread that just kept giving.

@ OP, when are you looking to buy the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

To be honest man, it's a cool idea and I hate to sound like a prick, but buying a 645 as your first car, at 21, on €25k a year with the possibility of going back to college...it's silly and naive.

If everything goes perfectly then *maybe* you could do it for a year... but expensive cars can give expensive problems. Anything that crops up will break your heart. What if you tip it and need it repaired? Clutch goes? 4x high performance tyres will cost you half your months wages. That's just mental expenditure on one thing.

There are other things in life besides cars. What if you want to go away for a weekend, take a girl out, buy some clothes, go to the doctor etc... you'll be putting yourself under ridiculous pressure...

I hope it works for you and more power to you if you prove me wrong...
    (ps, get the M5!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭halkar

@OP, did you budget for speed tickets?
    I am sure you will probably lose your driving license in one year with any of these. Otherwise what is the point of having one of these monsters?

Maybe its time to wake up and smell the coffee.
    Get a micra :D

• Advertisement

There are other things in life besides cars.

Wrong
    What if you want to go away for a weekend

A 645i is a proven method of transport
    take a girl out

What better way to woo a female than in a 645i?
    buy some clothes

Drive to the clothes shop in a 645i

:pac:

You're right though!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

There are definitely two types of people on this forum, I just dont get why the kind that dont like buy fast cars are here at all. :p

I was a new one. Overly confident and overly ambitious.

I felt it was better to learn the limits of my spatial awareness in a car costing 500 than in one costing 10k
    I started driving a tractor at around 9, the car probably 12 or 13 around the house and reverse into the garage, which was a 90 degree corner up to the doors, and the only car in the household was my dad's who always bought brand new as he was on the road a lot for his job, so my ego was overshadowed by the fear of being torn a new ass, so spatial awareness was improved immensely!
    If I started in a €500 crap heap, I wouldn't have cared what I scratched. If I started in a 645i, you can be sure I would!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

I started driving a tractor at around 9, the car probably 12 or 13 around the house and reverse into the garage, which was a 90 degree corner up to the doors, and the only car in the household was my dad's who always bought brand new as he was on the road a lot for his job, so my ego was overshadowed by the fear of being torn a new ass, so spatial awareness was improved immensely!
    If I started in a €500 crap heap, I wouldn't have cared what I scratched. If I started in a 645i, you can be sure I would!

Sounds very similar to how I started driving, right down to a reversing accident.... :eek: Except I started my insurance on a €400 crap heap I had to assemble myself :pac:

OP I can't express how much I admire your attitude and balls to have a 645 as your first car, I take my hat off to you, why can't there be more people like you out there :D

Best of luck and you'll have to come to a meet in it someday! :cool:

dgt wrote: »
    Sounds very similar to how I started driving, right down to a reversing accident.... :eek:
    I think there's a graph that could be plotted showing the proportional relationship between spatial awareness while reversing and the validity of new arse being torn.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Same story with me, when I started 2 years ago I was learning on my moms new Clio and up until recently was driving a new Fluence. The potential to get torn a new ass definitely made my spatial awareness much better, bar of course that time when I crashed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

I think there's a graph that could be plotted showing the proportional relationship between spatial awareness while reversing and the validity of new arse being torn.

I had to source out another car to use it's quarter panel/bumper/tail-light and buy the paint.... At the age of 15 :o

I hope the OP did their homework and knows where to get spares, what common faults are and who can look after the car mechanically (better if it's diy :D )

Pfffftt!!! Reversing is piss easy, especially with reversing sensors:

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭halkar

horses-pulling-hummer-cart.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

I do admire your drive, however, I am of similar age to you, 23, I started working at 18 on a 22k salary. To an 18 year old this was masses amount of money, I had and still have minimum outgoings, rent 200, then motoring costs. I had like you a plan in place, In a year I would have 7k to spend while still having a life. I don't drink or smoke, this would be easy I said. WRONG! Money goes out of my pockets without me knowing it, I ended up getting a CU loan and buying a 5k car. 11 cars down the road I have realised that the true cost of a car is not the initial buying, it's maintenance, Fuel, tyres and little bits, have you priced m5 parts? Parts will break, suspension will need changing, I own an e39 530d, very reliable but still I have put a MAF sensor €250, rear arms €400, Map sensor €135, oil €80, service parts €150, that's doing the work myself, 255/40/17 decent rear tyres €130 each, all in the last 6 months, I spend 300 in fuel every month, then there is tax etc, this is on a 530d, M5 parts are eye wateringly expensive,

All I'm saying is even if you do manage to save up and buy it on that kind of income the first time a part goes you are up **** creek without a paddle, parts will need replacing. Have you seen the price of one disc for a m5? Or would you use non genuine muck?

I do not wish to discourage you but if you pull it off and manage to maintain an m5 to its deserve standards you are a better man than me and deserve a place on that superscimmers show.

Advertisement