Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which car is better to save up for?

Options
  • 11-05-2013 7:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I'm most likely dropping out of college in August since I want to pick a different course, but in the meantime, I'm going to get a job for a year.
    Now, I pretty much have a job guaranteed (friend of a friend) and should be able to save up around €15k by next year (I'm willing to spend €5k on insurance - really)

I'm a bit puzzled though, since there's so many wonderful vehicles out there for €10k.

(Before you ask, I checked the insurance for all of these vehicles, and while ridiculously expensive, still affordable once I save up)

First up:

1. The 2002 BMW M5 E39 - 5.0L V8, 400bhp. Hell of a car, for not a lot of cash.
    BMW-E39-M5-Business-Car+%25286%2529.jpg

2. The 1998, 996 Generation Porsche Carrera (Base Model) - 3.4L H6, 296bhp. Less powerful than the BMW, but unlike the M5, it's a real head turner, even after all those years.
    Porsche_996_Blue%20metallic.JPG

3. The 2004 BMW 645ci - 4.4L V8, 333bhp. One of my favourite GT cars ever. V8 is awesome too!
    P1010263.jpg

4. The 2006 Mercedes CLS350 - 3.5L V6, 272hp. Slowest out of them all, but most economical too. Looks great imo too.
    640px-Mercedes-Benz_C219_front_20080620.jpg

Update: 11th of May

5. The 2007 Volvo S80 - 2.5T I5, 200hp. Even slower than the CLS, but it's safe, practical, looks nice, and the I5 roar is awesome!
    d43864c90df075c94489ddbe4ca5ffe9558da2bc3c917946bed6058592e2bf05.jpg

6. The 2005 BMW 530d E60 - 3.0D I6, 218hp. Most economical out of them all, and after remap, develops 260hp.
    d43864c90df075c94489ddbe4ca5ffe94f10806bc5cdf0b9760a087ead8df4c4.jpg

7. The 2008 Lexus IS250 - 2.5 V6, 205hp.
    d43864c90df075c94489ddbe4ca5ffe984725b046b1bf0ee1be6bbddd5090ef9.jpg

If you have any more suggestions, let me know here!

PS. Yes, it's a real topic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,394 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd have the Porsche!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭ian87

M5 ftw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

ian87 wrote: »
    M5 ftw.

It's my sort of car as well :D But 15 MPG I might get from it is just depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Am I back in 2005 or something? :eek:

I'd have the M5 anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

You're taking the piss aren't you?

• Advertisement

T-Maxx wrote: »
    You're taking the piss aren't you?

I'm Polish. I'm mad.

I'm being serious. I don't know what is it with you people, but if I can afford it, I surely would go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

None!!

For the price of them cars,tax,fuel you could buy a Cessna 150/172 and fly every where :D

But id have in order Porsche - M5 - 645 - CLS350

Last 3 are every day cars per say and I have a S80 which I have to say are a very nice car!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

volvo all the way please

None!!

For the price of them cars,tax,fuel you could buy a Cessna 150 and fly every where :D

I didn't come here to ask for a sensible choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Porsche!

• Advertisement

Sobanek wrote: »
    I didn't come here to ask for a sensible choice.

But why drive when you could fly??

But why drive when you could fly??

I like to drive, not being driven :D

I like to drive, not being driven :D

But you can fly yourself?

I do.....and I like it better than droving my S80 of Bike :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I'm Polish. I'm mad.

I'm being serious. I don't know what is it with you people, but if I can afford it, I surely would go for it.

Can you afford it though? I don't want to judge you but from what I've read I honestly think you're out of your league.

But you can fly yourself?

I do.....and I like it better than droving my S80 of Bike :D

I don't like flying at all :P Even being flown. I thought about a pilot license once, but that's about it.

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Can you afford it though? I don't want to judge you but from what I've read I honestly think you're out of your league.

I'd be thinking I'm retarded 3 months ago as well, but if I get that job, I'd earn around 11 quid per hour, which means I'd be able to save around 1.1k per month (that's including my expenses)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

M5 easily. I think that porsche looks crap.

I don't like flying at all :P Even being flown. I thought about a pilot license once, but that's about it.

You can get your licence for 10-15 depending on how mean the flight school are :rolleyes:

You can buy a Cessna 150 for €20,000

So that's say €32,000 give or take.

With the cost of said cars and tax + insurance and service cost which will be a few thousand a year on them thing, y9ou better of getting to like flying!

If I stopped flying I could probably afford a 98 porsche but my S80 does the same job.

Anyway you cant wear Aviator glasses getting out of a car, look way better stepping out of a plane :D

M5 easily. I think that porsche looks crap.

Nooooo Porsche are gorgeous, an M5 is just a beefed up standard 5 series so its nothing special to look at!

The Porsche has its own style :cool:

I'd be thinking I'm retarded 3 months ago as well, but if I get that job, I'd earn around 11 quid per hour, which means I'd be able to save around 1.1k per month (that's including my expenses)

€11 per hour?? and your looking at cars that will cost that per half mile to run :confused:

My mates 08 M5 gets 15 mpg with his missus driving!

He gets weak when it needs tyres and a service and he is far from being short of a few quid!!

• Advertisement

€11 per hour?? and your looking at cars that will cost that per half mile to run :confused:

Once I get the insurance and tax out of the way it's alright :P

The M5 (according to mileage I'd do) is about 40 quid to run each day (with tax and insurance pre-paid).
    900 per month, which means I'll still have a handy €250-€350 each month for service etc.

Well tax will be €1800 or over.....you may get a Mortgage for you insurance :D

How about a Boxter S.....ok not a 911 but well within an €11 per hour job if you can live on feck all :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

If your going back to college in a year you'd be mad to buy any of them.

You can save for a year to afford the car and insurance and tax but what about the year after when your in college. You'll have the insurance and tax again and if you need to get any work done on the car your going to need major money.

Sorry but if going back to college is still in your plans you'd be stupid to go buying one of these.

Well tax will be €1800 or over.....you may get a Mortgage for you insurance :D

How about a Boxter S.....ok not a 911 but well within an €11 per hour job if you can live on feck all :p

Not a big fan of the pre-2005 Boxster. I'd rather get the 911 :P

So far, heart says M5, brain says 530d, mother says S60 diesel. :D

pippip wrote: »
    If your going back to college in a year you'd be mad to buy any of them.

You can save for a year to afford the car and insurance and tax but what about the year after when your in college. You'll have the insurance and tax again and if you need to get any work done on the car your going to need major money.

Sorry but if going back to college is still in your plans you'd be stupid to go buying one of these.

Going back to college is still an option :P Promotion probability is quite high in that company (for obvious reasons I won't say it's name), and besides - I'm not one of those dreamy kids who think that if they'll go to college, they'll earn €60k a year straight away.

The M5 (according to mileage I'd do) is about 40 quid to run each day (with tax and insurance pre-paid).
    900 per month, which means I'll still have a handy €250-€350 each month for service etc.

Its cost me 30 a day in the Petrol S80......

Tyres for that are gonna be 600+ for cheap ones...you looking at 9+ litres of all and then most parts may be main dealer!

Trust me I went thru this stage and I choose the flying for 2 reasons

1) I love it :D

2) A standard 520 or S80 etc. are still nice motors to cruise about in so my S80 does me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Sobanek, I admire your ambition, but honestly, you need to rethink your plan. These cars will still be there to buy when college is behind you.

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Sobanek, I admire your ambition, but honestly, you need to rethink your plan. These cars will still be there to buy when college is behind you.

But, but... I WANNA, I WANNA!

No, but seriously - I don't think that later will be a good time to buy these - I grow older everyday, I still want to get a bit crazy while I can :) Besides, I think it's in my genes since my dad's brother got himself a 4 year old 525i back in 1996 when he was 20. That was really crazy back then!

193 bhp-173 kg - Thats 1 hp per Kg!!!

190+ mph

M5 is limited to 155 :p

Faster than any of said cars, yes you may get wet but you would be home quicker :D

Tax is only €82 and service cost no where near them cars!

2010-BMW-S1000RRh.jpg

• Advertisement

193 bhp-173 kg - Thats 1 hp per Kg!!!

190+ mph

M5 is limited to 155 :p

Faster than any of said cars, yes you may get wet but you would be home quicker :D

Tax is only €82 and service cost no where near them cars!

2010-BMW-S1000RRh.jpg

Ahem, but I'd need an A licence :P That's gonna take ages - you need to have A1, then A2 and then A, correct?

Advertisement