Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which car is better to save up for?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Whats 08 S4 tax like anyway on the 4.2 litre before they changed to the V6 ?

It's either 1800 or 2400 depending on whether you're using the cc or co2 system.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Co2, seems to be 225g so sneaks in at 1200 euros

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

OP I think you should sit down with a real life adult, perhaps your mum or dad and discuss your plan with them.

54kroc wrote: »
    OP I think you should sit down with a real life adult, perhaps your mum or dad and discuss your plan with them.

Oh, I did. They have no objections, but they're not going to give me a single cent for my car/fuel/maintenance/tax/insurance etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭Photoshop

I have been interested in the S3 for a while.

For normal income people like ourselves Sobanek who are on 25 -35k, it's manageable.

2.0l road tax, 30mpg, ok insurance, standard enough maintenance.

With 265bhp, 4WD, 0-60 5.5 secs and 380nm it's fast enough, has good remapping potential

3483808891_2637e61b7a.jpg

VRT on a 07 is about 3k.

Plenty of good examples in the UK between 8 and 10k.

S3 vs 645ci.

http://www.zeperfs.com/en/duel4365-1169.htm

Fairly close performance wise.

• Advertisement

I think Revenue is going to charge much more than that. Remember - it's OMSP - I don't think the S3 is worth 7.5k in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

OP as a matter of interest - how old are you and what other cars have you owned?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

What about something left field like a Vx220 or Elise?

Agree that the E46 is a good suggestion.

Could also get a Megane 225.

T-Maxx wrote: »
    OP as a matter of interest - how old are you and what other cars have you owned?

I'll be 21 when buying the car, none whatsoever, but will have 4 years of named driver experience when buying the car.

I drive regularly, so it's not like I don't know what a car is.

....Prepare for the Fiesta 1.25 comments....

I know, I'm mad.

In regards to the insurance - xsdirect have no problem with insuring any of these. It's going to be €2,150 with a €1,000 excess, but still, at least it's something :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Sobanek wrote: »
    I'll be 21 when buying the car, none whatsoever, but will have 4 years of named driver experience when buying the car.

I know, I'm mad.

And people told me I was mad for getting a Saab??

I don't feel too bad now :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

I know, I'm mad.

In regards to the insurance - xsdirect have no problem with insuring any of these. It's going to be €2,150 with a €1,000 excess, but still, at least it's something :)

I thought most of the excesses on xs was €4000?

Jimdagym wrote: »
    I thought most of the excesses on xs was €4000?

The minimum is €1,000 now. This does raise the premium by about €600 per year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Not mad on the whole, but still entirely nuts for a 21 year old who'll have to fund it himself.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volvo/S40/T5-PREMI/34813663906358120/advert?channel=CARS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭ian87

This thread really isnt adding up to me. A bit too walter mitty. I've been watching the updates all evening and I had a look at the previous threads started by sobanek. 5 months ago he was asking what v8 car would he keep for himself in Poland, just to have. OP, Im sorry but I really find you hard to believe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭Photoshop

I think Revenue is going to charge much more than that. Remember - it's OMSP - I don't think the S3 is worth 7.5k in this country.

:P

3508pd0.jpg

ian87 wrote: »
    This thread really isnt adding up to me. A bit too walter mitty. I've been watching the updates all evening and I had a look at the previous threads started by sobanek. 5 months ago he was asking what v8 car would he keep for himself in Poland, just to have. OP, Im sorry but I really find you hard to believe.

Instead of having a v8 car in Poland, I want a V8 car here. People change their minds. The chicks won't go for the "I drive a Polo, but I got a V8 BMW in Poland" story :D
    The V8 car in Poland just didn't make economical sense - having a car that I will drive for only two months at most, while having to pay for insurance.

A Week ago I didn't know about XSDirect.
    5 months ago I wasn't even half way through my course, which I now know, I don't like so much.
    5 months ago I didn't know I'd be able to get a job soon.
    5 months ago I didn't know my father was going to work from June.
    5 months ago I didn't know owning a car in Poland only to drive it for two months in a year was a stupid idea.

Sorry dude, nothing personal but I think you are finding it difficult to differentiate real life with fantasy. I thought when I started working I'd be able to afford a 25k car on my salary doing similar maths to you. But I soon found out that real life gets in the way. Of course one could afford to buy and run something hugely expensive if we didn't have those constant things that pop up day to day that need to be paid for. A trip to the doctor and pharmacy after, an unexpected gift for a close friend or a child, invitations to social events you can't turn down, a speeding fine! I could go on.. Fact of life is these things are constant. And for some reason when you start working and earning a wage these unexpected costs get more common and more expensive.
    I appreciate your want for something exotic, big engined and fast sobanek, believe me I do, but I think a lower initial outlay on something such as a 2000 330ci or 325ci rather than a 10 grand m5 etc. I'm speaking from experience pal; I got a full time permanent job last year and I ploughed a good chunk of my money into a new car. While I can afford it, it's at the detriment of other things I'd like to do. I love my car, but I've decided a better fit is to sell it, release some money I've tied up in it and go back down the years to something else! Having a nice car under your arse is all well and good but you have to live too...

In fairness he asked us to pick a car not pick apart his finances and give him an auld talk about life.

If you can go for it, go for it, you won't regret having a nice car in your life and you may not get the chance again.

In fairness he asked us to pick a car not pick apart his finances and give him an auld talk about life.

If you can go for it, go for it, you won't regret having a nice car in your life and you may not get the chance again.
    True enough but he also broadcast his finances very early in the thread so it's not without merit. By all means sobanek, if you think you can do it go for it, but there are other options out there which could give as much pleasure in a car but at a fraction of the costs involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Instead of having a v8 car in Poland, I want a V8 car here. People change their minds. The chicks won't go for the "I drive a Polo, but I got a V8 BMW in Poland" story :D
    The V8 car in Poland just didn't make economical sense - having a car that I will drive for only two months at most, while having to pay for insurance.

A v8 is never going to make economical sense.
    But it will put a smile on your face....except at the fuel station!

• Advertisement

Obviously, it's nice to hear other people's opinions and experiences - maybe I'm not the only one out there?

I'll start saving anyway, maybe if I'll find something that I fancy, I'll go for it. Doesn't matter if it's an M5 or a 325i. If it's a good example, well maintained and I can afford it, I'll go for it.
    Real life work with my own expenses will be a good test to see just how much I can actually save (there's a tonne of other stuff I'd want - a new laptop, Creed Aventus perfume and more).
    I'll be saving up for 12 months - if I save up €13k - I'm good to go and will most likely pick an M5. I know these are very tough to resell since the customer base is really small, but I guess it can be sold. E46 325/330ci is much harder to sell (as proven by a friend of mine, who was selling his 330ci for over 8 months!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

young lads working all hours to run e39 m5's are why motoring forums should exist

if you don't get it you've nevder driven one

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭td2008

Probably go for the m5 myself, you'd want to have around 3k extra imo to spare just in case (not including tax , petrol or insurance)

ian87 wrote: »
    True enough but he also broadcast his finances very early in the thread so it's not without merit. By all means sobanek, if you think you can do it go for it, but there are other options out there which could give as much pleasure in a car but at a fraction of the costs involved.

I worked in a place beside a pub part time afew years back and saw dozens of regulars go into the pub every evening w/o fail and by the time im finishing up at 10pm or so they are sozzled and off the go home after no doubt downing €50 of drink a night and at the weekend same thing only their poor kids get stuck in the pub with them having a bag of crisps for dinner.

Irish people think that's acceptable and shurre paddy is great craic but if you start talking about a medium/large engined petrol engine they start losing their minds. If he budgets carefully he can handle it.

Be smart and get a credit union loan and not something stupid like finance/bank loan with ott payments and keep on top of servicing and mind the car and you will be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

If I was you I think I would go for the M5, it ll be very unique car indeed. :)

Sometimes I wonder is there any people out there that realize that there are people out there that don't drink and don't smoke and actually can afford to save money and own nice car like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

What cars have you driven OP? All well and good dreaming about a Porsche or an M5, but first step is drive them and see which you prefer.

Why not settle for something less powerful for now, if nothing else it'll give you something to look forward to when changing up. If you get the M5 now, where to next? Almost everything else will be disappointing. An E46 325/330 Ci maybe.

Or to test your petrol head credentials, get an Rx8 for 4k and use the rest to keep the oil topped up :)

PS. Don't get the S80, big underpowered boat of a car...

rocky wrote: »
    What cars have you driven OP? All well and good dreaming about a Porsche or an M5, but first step is drive them and see which you prefer.

Why not settle for something less powerful for now, if nothing else it'll give you something to look forward to when changing up. If you get the M5 now, where to next? Almost everything else will be disappointing. An E46 325/330 Ci maybe.

Or to test your petrol head credentials, get an Rx8 for 4k and use the rest to keep the oil topped up :)

PS. Don't get the S80, big underpowered boat of a car...

Only the 6 Series I'm afraid, but it was a positive experience overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

In fairness if the OP is looking at an M5, the RX8 is not in the same league.

Very few motors on the road for sub 50k (even used) that are in the same league as an m5.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Wheres My ForkandKnife

This thread should be renamed dreamers instead.I admire any lad who spends his money on a car rather than pissing it up against a wall or worse but its hard to take seriously that anyone could run the cars mentioned on €12 an hour and live.

If it was a year later and you were here talking about buying the car after saving the money it would be more credible.If you do manage it fair play to you but you will find as your income increases so will your expenses.

If you can do it maybe you should consider a career as a financial advisor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

Max Power1 wrote: »
    In fairness if the OP is looking at an M5, the RX8 is not in the same league.

Very few motors on the road for sub 50k (even used) that are in the same league as an m5.

It's in the same fuel consumption league though :)

Advertisement