Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which car is better to save up for?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

rocky wrote: »
    It's in the same fuel consumption league though :)

Perhaps, but it is not the same car type at all. The RX8 is a small sports coupe whereas the M5 is a high spec performance saloon.

I can see an M5 as an aspirational car that would deter me from other spending to save for - can't see the mazda having the same appeal (maybe that's just me though)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭rocky

That's the point, the rx8 will cost less than the M5, so you don't need to save as hard.

OP, I'd also look at 5 liter mercs, if not AMGs. There was a CLS 500 on donedeal for under 10k, if you replaced the exhaust to bring out the sound, it wouldn't be too bad...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Of the original list, IMO the 645i is the by far the best choice:

- RWD (if you are going to put in all this effort this is no brainer)
    - Cheap in Ireland (as in stupidly cheap, around 6k this time next year no problem
    - Part shared with the common E60 where applicable
    - Huge online enthusiast support for learning/fixing things
    - Solid engine, fast and economical for a V8
    - Its a V8.. and RWD. With some exhaust fiddling easy to make it sound as such too.
    - There is a chance you can find one with a 6sp manual (unlikely sadly)
    - Not going to be as reamed on insurance as the M5 or Porsche as its a GT
    - Decent availability, the M5 wont be
    - Its not an E46 (we could do with some more BMW variety around here ;) )
    - Its a coupe, again for the hassle you probably want your effort to result in some flash

I have the precursor to that engine in my 740i and its very very nice. The Merc has all those Merc reliability issues and is probably the wrong one anyone, the CL500 or CL600 are the peers of the list. The CLS is a fancy mans EClass (though it is nice). The 530d and Volvo S80 are trick answers I assume? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

This thread should be renamed dreamers instead.I admire any lad who spends his money on a car rather than pissing it up against a wall or worse but its hard to take seriously that anyone could run the cars mentioned on €12 an hour and live.

And why is that? I've always been good with numbers and they make sense. I'm still going to be 21 by then. No child, No wife, nothing to spend money on. Why not get something ridiculous and enjoy it while it lasts?
    OP, I'd also look at 5 liter mercs, if not AMGs. There was a CLS 500 on donedeal for under 10k, if you replaced the exhaust to bring out the sound, it wouldn't be too bad...

Except for the AMG, they're not too powerful, they're quite high on insurance and I don't think a CLS500 under 10k is going to be a good investment ;)
    The 530d and Volvo S80 are trick answers I assume? :D
    Just added a bit of sensibility to the list ;) Thanks for the advice. Obviously I do want to get a bit of flash for my buck, but I think the E39 is still quite an alright looking car. Although the E63 is much more modern, with iDrive, better audio, more comfort, better fuel economy and the V8 can sound good with the right exhaust as proven by a friend of mine. :D And I think, it could handle LPG (which would be a massive saving for me) unlike the M5.

What I'm worried about with the 6 Series is that it will be too big for me. I'm a midget (5' 7") and the 6 Series is a massive car (although it does have PDC front and rear which is useful)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Carnegie

I'd go for the 6 series. Far better looking than an M5, cheaper to buy and run, more luxurious, almost as fast.

I'm curious though how your accommodation and food only comes to 150 euro per month?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well, you cant expect anything else from me lads.

skyline-3qtr.jpg

If not this, the e39 M5 all the way.

Carnegie wrote: »
    I'd go for the 6 series. Far better looking than an M5, cheaper to buy and run, more luxurious, almost as fast.

I'm curious though how your accommodation and food only comes to 150 euro per month?

Provided by the kindness of my folks :cool:
    Accommodation and food is about 550 in total since I give my parents 400, and then spend around 150 myself :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I think if it were my money and I were considering a used m5, it would have to be an e39. I mean the next gen m5 just doesnt have the same "corr blimey" appeal as they would say in the uk.

Plus, much as I prefer autos especially in bmws, an e39 6 speed manual m5 is the exception that proves the rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

OP, if you think you can do it, go for it. Its not a life changing decision along the lines of "should I buy this house". You can always get rid of it in two months if it doesnt work out (maybe at a small loss), but at least you had those two months of pleasure. It seems like its going to be the m5 or 645. Both awesome cars. If push came to shove I'd be on the side of the M5 - Just two words of caution:

1) Whatever the "Advertised" fuel consumption is, you can ignore it, as I assume you are going to be driving it in a relatively sporty manner. I had a Mark V Golf GTI and never got anywhere near the claimed fuel consumption. It was one of the reasons I sold it afterwards - got sick of spending money on petrol. It was quite ridiculous, but then I did drive it hard. All the time.
    2) For the love of God be careful. That much horsepower to the rear wheels can lead to some scary ass moments... especially on wet roundabouts. I was caught out myself a few times in a fairly mundane automatic 520i. Thankfully no more damage than a bruised ego and screaming wife. ;)

Let us know your decision and post some pics ;)

Muppet Man.

Muppet Man wrote: »
    OP, if you think you can do it, go for it. Its not a life changing decision along the lines of "should I buy this house". You can always get rid of it in two months if it doesnt work out (maybe at a small loss), but at least you had those two months of pleasure. It seems like its going to be the m5 or 645. Both awesome cars. If push came to shove I'd be on the side of the M5 - Just two words of caution:

1) Whatever the "Advertised" fuel consumption is, you can ignore it, as I assume you are going to be driving it in a relatively sporty manner. I had a Mark V Golf GTI and never got anywhere near the claimed fuel consumption. It was one of the reasons I sold it afterwards - got sick of spending money on petrol. It was quite ridiculous, but then I did drive it hard. All the time.
    2) For the love of God be careful. That much horsepower to the rear wheels can lead to some scary ass moments... especially on wet roundabouts. I was caught out myself a few times in a fairly mundane automatic 520i. Thankfully no more damage than a bruised ego and screaming wife. ;)

Let us know your decision and post some pics ;)

Muppet Man.

I think that until I adapt to the power and RWD, I'll keep the traction control on and sport mode off :D

And you are correct, it's pretty much 645ci vs M5.

Reasonable choice vs Massive fun and possibly death :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Haha a 4.5 V8 = reasonable.

Overall i would say the 6 series would be a much nicer place to be and it's the one i would have.

Just get a custom exhaust system so it can roar.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4964736

Jesus now you are making me think about changing my car next year :p

Well it is more reasonable than the M5 anyways :P

I think I'm just going to get to that stage where I have €15k saved and then will wonder if I should get the E39 M5, E60 M5 or the E63 650i...

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

635ci or M5?????

Has to be the 635.
    Only 21 years old and driving a 5 series,most people will assume your car is an auld 520d with fake M badges...

THall04 wrote: »
    635ci or M5?????

Has to be the 635.
    Only 21 years old and driving a 5 series,most people will assume your car is an auld 520d with fake M badges...

645*

Well, that is until I put my foot down :D

WOOO! 1000TH POST.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Well good luck saving 15k anyway, best bet would be save 5k or so with your local credit union then get a 15k loan over 3-4 years.

Realistically and it might all make sense now saving that much will become almost impossible, took me guts of 6 months to save 3-4k and that wasn't easy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Porsche is nice, the CLS very nice, the M5 looks like a reps car. CLS is my winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Out of curiosity; how do you plan to get about for a year without a car?

ninty9er wrote: »
    Out of curiosity; how do you plan to get about for a year without a car?

The same way I did up until now - bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Sobanek wrote: »
    What I'm worried about with the 6 Series is that it will be too big for me. I'm a midget (5' 7") and the 6 Series is a massive car (although it does have PDC front and rear which is useful)
    Youve been in one already havent you? Its not a big car on the inside. I had a guy sit in my 8 series as he was wondering if it offered more space up front (which it does, but less in the rear to the point having 5cm legroom) as he was planning on a 6 series till he sat in it and realised his head was touching the roof. He was over 6ft, but not exceptional.
    THall04 wrote: »
    635ci or M5?????
    Has to be the 635.
    The opinions of people who confuse 520d's with M5's matter as much as the opinions of people that confuse a 635i with a 645i.

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Youve been in one already havent you? Its not a big car on the inside. I had a guy sit in my 8 series as he was wondering if it offered more space up front (which it does, but less in the rear to the point having 5cm legroom) as he was planning on a 6 series till he sat in it and realised his head was touching the roof. He was over 6ft, but not exceptional.

The opinions of people who confuse 520d's with M5's matter as much as the opinions of people that confuse a 635i with a 645i.

There is a difference between using the car everyday and just having a short 10 minute drive ;) It felt larger than the Volvo I currently use, but not as big as the E38.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

A supercharged Jag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

I believe him, and admire your large, voluminous balls sobanek.

I wasted thousands of euro on **** cars over the years. When I think about it, it makes me cringe, as I was in a similar situation to you, but I wasted it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Sobanek your posts sound exactly like me 5 or 6 years ago.
    I earned about the same as you do back then, maybe a bit less and I got a serious enough loan for my E38 when the banks were throwing money around. I was even stupid enough to get a "little bit extra" to pay the first years tax. Getting a loan to pay for motor tax, absolute madness when I look back!

Anyways I have to say I regretted the first few years having to pay it back. Subsequent years, I suddenly had to start finding €2500 insurance and €1200-1400 motor tax. Plus tyre bills, parts bills, eye watering fuel bills. And I was doing all the labour myself.

And whilst I got a loan and you're planning on saving, it's still big money when, as a poster mentioned above, other "life costs" suddenly start popping up. To me, there was an underlying uneasy feeling of having a really nice car when young, yet having nothing to fall back on if all goes tits up and spending such a colossal mount of hard earned income on a single item in your life.

I'd go with the 996 or the 645. :)

The question is - did you regret it? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭kitnan

M5 everytime!

ALRIGHT GUYS

I have made a manly decision, and I'm choosing....

THE 645CI.

WHY:
    - More economical than M5
    - Easier to live with everyday
    - More modern than E39
    - Coupe instead of a Saloon
    - My dad likes it more :D
    - Still plenty of horsepower
    - Cheaper insurance

The M5 still will be on my "to get before I die" list, but for now, I think the 645Ci will be a very mad first car either way.

I will post here again as soon as I get the job, and will give you progress on my savings.

Thank you very much Boardsies. Definitely wouldn't have made this decision without ya all!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

first car

:eek:

:eek:

YES :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

The question is - did you regret it? ;)

He says he regretted it in the second paragraph.

• Advertisement

Jimdagym wrote: »
    He says he regretted it in the second paragraph.

I was asking about the car, not paying off the loan :rolleyes:

Advertisement