Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which car is better to save up for?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

This thread has to be a windup...

21 years old, first car, minimum wage job, going back to college, just doesn't add up...

Yes, 21. Yes, first car. Since when is €12 ph and 45hrs pw a minimum wage job? AFAIK it's €8.65 and 40hrs?
    I don't know if I'll go back to college since I don't know what I want to do yet. I found my business course boring and just looking for a change. Maybe it'll be a part-time course. Who knows.
    Would it not be cheaper to run a banger while working to get a years no claims? Your insurance will be cheaper when you get the car and you'd save on your 200/month transport.

I don't want a banger though. I got 3 years as a named driver, which counts up as "1.5" years of NCB pretty much. It's cheaper with my NDE than with just 1 year of NCB!
    @ OP, when are you looking to buy the car?

Probably around September 2014.
    ...buying a 645 as your first car, at 21, on €25k a year with the possibility of going back to college...it's silly and naive...

It is, but it will work.
    If everything goes perfectly then *maybe* you could do it for a year... but expensive cars can give expensive problems. Anything that crops up will break your heart. What if you tip it and need it repaired? Clutch goes? 4x high performance tyres will cost you half your months wages. That's just mental expenditure on one thing.

I know, most likely I'll keep it for a year and move on to something even better.

There are other things in life besides cars. What if you want to go away for a weekend, take a girl out, buy some clothes, go to the doctor etc... you'll be putting yourself under ridiculous pressure...

I hope it works for you and more power to you if you prove me wrong...
    (ps, get the M5!)

I don't go anywhere for weekends. I don't have a girlfriend (a 645ci certainly would've changed that though! lol), clothes is one of the 150 quid a month things, and I usually stay healthy. I haven't been to a doctor in two years time now! I know stuff does happen, but **** happens. I don't think a single visit at the doctor's is gonna cost me €10k ;)
    Hopefully I do prove you wrong, mate! Thanks.
    @OP, did you budget for speed tickets?
    I am sure you will probably lose your driving license in one year with any of these. Otherwise what is the point of having one of these monsters?

I didn't get a single speeding ticket in my 2.5 year driving history so far :D If I do, it's only €80. I can live with that.
    The point? Well, Mondello's 5 miles away from my house, so... ;)
    OP I can't express how much I admire your attitude and balls to have a 645 as your first car, I take my hat off to you, why can't there be more people like you out there

Best of luck and you'll have to come to a meet in it someday!

You should hang around with more Poles then :D We'd starve just to drive nice cars (at least some of us ;) )
    I'll surely come to a meet once I get it, duh! :D
    I hope the OP did their homework and knows where to get spares, what common faults are and who can look after the car mechanically (better if it's diy )

Yes. I don't do DIY but I know where I can get things sorted with a 50% friend discount :D
    All I'm saying is even if you do manage to save up and buy it on that kind of income the first time a part goes you are up **** creek without a paddle, parts will need replacing. Have you seen the price of one disc for a m5? Or would you use non genuine muck?

There are huge costs involved with owning an M5 or a 645ci for that matter, but they don't break once a week!! If a friend of mine could pull off an M5 (just with cheaper insurance), then I surely can!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,075 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Go for it OP. The only thing I will say is that you might get stopped a lot, on suspicion of being a dealer. Young lad in a big car like that will turn everyone's heads and keep them talking.

beertons wrote: »
    Go for it OP. The only thing I will say is that you might get stopped a lot, on suspicion of being a dealer. Young lad in a big car like that will turn everyone's heads and keep them talking.

Who says I won't be one? :cool:

Yeah, I do realise that - the 645ci is not very conspicuous :P The local Garda gives feck all about stuff. Seen me run a red light (minimally, but I still did) didn't even look at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Ketron

Don't know if it has been suggested yet (skipped the mid part of the thread) why not consider an e46 m3 over an e39 m5?

Yes the tax is the same, but the performance gains over an m3 are marginal..(Not saying I wouldn't love an m5), but the running costs will be less, consumption will be less, less for maintenance, and you can be sure insurance will be less as well.

You have to bear in mind that out of all these cars, while their value has decreased substantially, their actual running cost and maintenance has not decreased proportionally.

Best of luck mate, just keep money in the kitty for running costs :)

Ketron wrote: »
    Don't know if it has been suggested yet (skipped the mid part of the thread) why not consider an e46 m3 over an e39 m5?

Yes the tax is the same, but the performance gains over an m3 are marginal..(Not saying I wouldn't love an m5), but the running costs will be less, consumption will be less, less for maintenance, and you can be sure insurance will be less as well.

You have to bear in mind that out of all these cars, while their value has decreased substantially, their actual running cost and maintenance has not decreased proportionally.

Best of luck mate, just keep money in the kitty for running costs :)

Too many E46s on the Boards, BMW communities and streets...

• Advertisement

And you take that as a bad thing? They are common because they are good :)

Well, the E63 is a bit out of the ordinary :)

Sobanek wrote: »
    Well, the E63 is a bit out of the ordinary :)

I did consider a 645, what made me have sense (after it was talked into me) is the fact that is an auto, I'd get bored of it quite quickly, any performance gains of being a nice V8 is lost on the weight of the car.

It is a GT, a sport cruiser more or less, and on Irish roads, the suspension won't hold up on a car that weight, and if you don't maintain it, it will handle like a boat in rough seas!! :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I did consider a 645, what made me have sense (after it was talked into me) is the fact that is an auto, I'd get bored of it quite quickly, any performance gains of being a nice V8 is lost on the weight of the car.

lol

It is a GT, a sport cruiser more or less, and on Irish roads, the suspension won't hold up on a car that weight, and if you don't maintain it, it will handle like a boat in rough seas!! :D

Auto = at a certain degree good - my left knee gets really sore in traffic jams :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

the 6ers are made from very light materials ketron, have a google for yourself ;)

Auto = at a certain degree good - my left knee gets really sore in traffic jams :(

I cant disagree, but each to their own. Just thought I'd give my two cents :)

the 6ers are made from very light materials ketron, have a google for yourself ;)

200kg heavier than an e46?? Just advice I was given, and to be honest the auto box swayed me in the direction away from them more than anything else, but each to their own.

I wish I could get it in a manual form... Who knows... 3 extra months and I can bring a manual 650 from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Bringing one from the UK would almost double the cost tbh.

The few under 10k euros on DD atm look ok and the auto transmission would suit the lazy unstressed V8, i would just get a nice custom exhaust system with a race cat or de-cat and listen to it roar

Straight pipes will be too loud I presume?

lol

??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

??
    The whole weight thing, "performance been lost to it" etc is just wrong. Its a V8, its got low down torque, all natural and high BHP (effectively higher than the M3 in reality vs paper spec). Its also not "heavy" as per the usual accepted norms.

My brother has an E46 M3 and he frequently regrets he didnt go for a 645i instead. The M3 needs lots of RPM to get its power rating, which it does willingly with lots of flair, but he (and me for that matter) prefers a fat torque spread with plenty of BHP to pass around. Which is what the 645i does in spades. Did you actually drive one?
    Straight pipes will be too loud I presume?
    Probably, but a more rational mod would be to remove the centre cross over and keep it stock. Or keep all stock except the backboxes (and put in Magnaflows or something). None of this will help BHP mind.

Also you dont need to get a 650i for a manual box, infact there were more 645i's in manual.. actually I dont think Ive ever seen the 650i in manual?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭dingus12

I am like you, 20 years old, hated college, left it, started working in Novemeber past, I earn 320 euro a week, It costs me roughly 100 euro a week including rent(cheap in donegal), and thats including all expenses, I have been saving HARD, I have not drank a drop in 8 months, Don't smoke, Don't own a car I share one (run around banger).

The only thing I have bought in 8 months is a share In a car transporter trailer (900) euro, and spent about 500 on Christmas presents. I've managed to save 3500 euro so far. It ain't gonna happen so easy OP. There was weeks I earned 590 euro aswell, It just melts, even when like me you don't waste money.

You would have it easier than me living at home but Id be surprised if you managed to save 9k in a year, with no social life worth talking about that is.

By all means go for it, My first car will be something exciting like a ep3 type R etc, which is where I thing you should start, It's no m5 but it will be fun and affordable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

@ OP, when are you looking to buy the car?
    Probably around September 2014.

sorry... but as a result of this answer; I'm thinking this whole thread has been made redundant.

Car prices are going to change in 15 months time. Taste and preference has a nifty way of changing aswell. Personal circumstances will change. etc. etc. Too many variables at play.

• Advertisement

sorry... but as a result of this answer; I'm thinking this whole thread has been made redundant.

Car prices are going to change in 15 months time. Taste and preference has a nifty way of changing aswell. Personal circumstances will change. etc. etc. Too many variables at play.

Even if idle fancy, its still better than the majority of tripe here recently; "which car (1.4max)?", "whats better for my 10mile commute, 1.6TDI or 1.9TDI?", "the hell my 320d isnt a sports car" etc etc.

Maybe, but I'll still be looking for at least a 3.0 petrol then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Sobanek, besides the fact that you are not considering in the mountain of expenses that come with any of the mentioned cars (they're not spanking new with a dealer warranty, they're used cars that will have the same niggles and needs for maintenance of any car of similar age), the biggest mistake you're doing is counting your money before you have it. It's a common mistake we all make right before we start working and get any kind of financial availability.

Once the money comes, there seems to be a mysterious paranormal phenomena manifesting itself and inexplicably burning most of the money in your wallet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Even if idle fancy, its still better than the majority of tripe here recently; "which car (1.4max)?", "whats better for my 10mile commute, 1.6TDI or 1.9TDI?", "the hell my 320d isnt a sports car" etc etc.

To some people the car is a tool to get around, from A to B. Other's like me couldn't afford anything more than a small car. So what if they can't afford/want something that you deem worthy?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

BX 19 wrote: »
    To some people the car is a tool to get around, from A to B. Other's like me couldn't afford anything more than a small car. So what if they can't afford/want something that you deem worthy?

I think he's moreso saying that this thread is a welcome break from the ones he mentioned, nothing to do with what he deems worthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I think he's moreso saying that this thread is a welcome break from the ones he mentioned, nothing to do with what he deems worthy.

That's fine! Still think OP is mad, near impossible to pull off but if he can :pac:

I'll have an additional 1.7k to spend anyways :D

I'd love to have the INDIVIDUAL AMARONE WOOD trim :)

It's not a necessity, but it looks gorgeous IMO: (E60 pic, couldn't find an E63 one)

htupza5j89paxzj1gq5h.jpg

No, wait, found one:
    media?id=184552626

I'll be honest, doesn't look as good on the E63 as it does on the E60.

Yes this.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I know this is going against your current plan, but would you not buy the best e39 non M you could afford, which you're probably talking less than 4/5 grand for. Like a 540i or something along those lines, and use what ever money you can spare for mods and parts? You'll still have a car faster than 95% of the cars on the road, and with the cash left over you can do any number of things to it to make it the best e39 in the country. And you'd save a boat load of money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I know this is going against your current plan, but would you not buy the best e39 non M you could afford, which you're probably talking less than 4/5 grand for. Like a 540i or something along those lines, and use what ever money you can spare for mods and parts? You'll still have a car faster than 95% of the cars on the road, and with the cash left over you can do any number of things to it to make it the best e39 in the country. And you'd save a boat load of money.

Excellent idea ;)

Advertisement