Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which car is better to save up for?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

And lets face it, modding and working on these cars is half the fun! You'd have no budget for that if you bought a 645 or the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Been reading this thread since it began but have yet to comment.

Sobanek, out of the list of cars you made I'd have the M5/645i just because they're awesome machines. I have been in both.

However, on a previous page a poster made a comment that, the mistake is counting the money before you have it. I was sort of in the same boat last summer, working after college 40 hours a week and making circa €400 a week. Money just drains away and even though I was always telling myself that I would like to have had €2k saved by the end of the summer, it didn't happen and I managed to get together about €800.

If I were in your situation with your potential income I'd look for a Alfa 166 V6 for €2k or the likes and drive it for a while before building up. Ensure that you can afford this and if you know you can, look to move on up.

We aren't here to pick apart your finances but they are a tad sketchy! I do admire your enthusiasm but even something like a cheap 530i would be a great car!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭rocky

166man wrote: »
    If I were in your situation with your potential income I'd look for a Alfa 166 V6 for €2k or the likes and drive it for a while before building up. Ensure that you can afford this and if you know you can, look to move on up.

Ha! he's Polish, german car or nothing !! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Why did people suddenly start making sense? :D

As much as I like the E39, the 540i is almost impossible to buy in this country! And if it was a 540i, I would love to have it in manual form :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Sobanek wrote: »
    Why did people suddenly start making sense? :D

As much as I like the E39, the 540i is almost impossible to buy in this country! And if it was a 540i, I would love to have it in manual form :)

Well you've got no shortage of time to find one:P

That's what I'd be doing anyway. You'd get the big BMW experience for a lot less cost. And you'd get your hands dirty at the same time:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

I'll have an additional 1.7k to spend anyways :D

I'd love to have the INDIVIDUAL AMARONE WOOD trim :)

It's not a necessity, but it looks gorgeous IMO: (E60 pic, couldn't find an E63 one)

htupza5j89paxzj1gq5h.jpg

No, wait, found one:
    media?id=184552626

I'll be honest, doesn't look as good on the E63 as it does on the E60.

Imo if you are serious about this you will need to be siting on a couple grand for stuff that comes up.

I only drive a hatchback and just serviced it there last week.

Oil was 90 quid
    Spark plugs 85 quid (cheapest that could be got from the UK even after 30e+ postage)
    Filters 50 quid+
    5.1 dot brake fluid 2l 45 quid

It all add's up and with 8 cylinders you will need more oil/plugs and thats w/o anything breaking + big bmw's love their brake pads.

The wood trim wouldn't be worth ****e to ya stuck on the side of the road :p

Allow 1.5/2k for the unknown

Oil was 90 quid
    Spark plugs 85 quid (cheapest that could be got from the UK even after 30e+ postage)
    Filters 50 quid+

Phew, that's a biggie! :P

Phew, that's a biggie! :P

All adds up when you paying 365 tax the week after and that's before you put a drop of petrol in

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Excellent idea ;)

Its my plan when I get a job. A nice, clean M-sport, preferably a 525.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

I only drive a hatchback and just serviced it there last week.

Oil was 90 quid
    Filters 50 quid+

Jaysus :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Jaysus :eek:

His prices with careful shopping could be beat even when applied to a 645i etc. Also Spark Plugs are like 60k+ mile items, I never understand when people use them as "costs to run a car", they are no more a recurring cost than replacing a fuel pump is in the lifetime of car ownership (per owner) and not actually that expensive anyhow.

I have a bag of 64 spark plugs, take them out of everything I buy and replacement them as a matter of course. Sometimes I buy different types to test, which at x8 or x12 per car adds up.. but its pittance compared to say fuel costs.

I can't believe people think these are major costs. It's not like I'm going to replace them everyday. Even a banger will require a lot of care - does that mean people that earn 2k a month don't drive cars because they can't afford them?

I can't believe people think these are major costs. It's not like I'm going to replace them everyday. Even a banger will require a lot of care - does that mean people that earn 2k a month don't drive cars because they can't afford them?

I'd say it's more of a case, if you run into a relatively serious problem, then it could see your car off the road for quite some time without the cash behind you just in case. Its not so much general service items, more the unexpected. That's all.

I'd say it's more of a case, if you run into a relatively serious problem, then it could see your car off the road for quite some time without the cash behind you just in case. Its not so much general service items, more the unexpected. That's all.

I'll use my mammy's car then :D

Service items/tyres(im guessing you don't want to run the expensive runflats) and possible mechanical failures just need to be budgeted in is all. But lets see how ya get on saving first hah ;)

No point putting the chicken before the egg

No point putting the chicken before the egg

Exactly. Once I get my savings done, I'll report.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

Who leaves plugs in for 60k? BMW "longlife" my hole, All of my petrol cars got new plugs every 15K miles, best safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

ShaunieVW wrote: »
    Who leaves plugs in for 60k? BMW "longlife" my hole, All of my petrol cars got new plugs every 15K miles, best safe than sorry.

Fo shizzle ma nizzle!

Because we all know how disastrous it is when a plug fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Fo shizzle ma nizzle!

Because we all know how disastrous it is when a plug fails.

:D

It would be a long limp home on only 7 cylinders

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

What exactly would be the disastrous consequences of a plug failing?

Long life plugs will last 60k no problem. It's just a waste of money changing them early.

• Advertisement

Well I dont (for other reasons) but that is the operational life of a Platinum plug.
    Nothing at all to do with "BMW Longlife".. BMW dont make spark plugs.. :confused: I took a set of Platinums out of a Subaru Forrester S-Turbo and I estimate they were in there over 80k, the electrodes were worn down and... they came out fine (well for a Scoobie, the socket positioning is absurd) and the car was running just fine with them all worn down. And that was a turbo 4pot.

2C254C46-50A6-4C36-8CB4-961C57F999F7-840-000000C79AB1F824_zpse16cad77.jpg

Thats the reason they are like 5x the price of basic Copper plugs, which is almost the service schedule you are applying. If you are doing this, you probably should just use Copper plugs and change every 10-12k.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

166man wrote: »
    Been reading this thread since it began but have yet to comment.

Sobanek, out of the list of cars you made I'd have the M5/645i just because they're awesome machines. I have been in both.

However, on a previous page a poster made a comment that, the mistake is counting the money before you have it. I was sort of in the same boat last summer, working after college 40 hours a week and making circa €400 a week. Money just drains away and even though I was always telling myself that I would like to have had €2k saved by the end of the summer, it didn't happen and I managed to get together about €800.

We aren't here to pick apart your finances but they are a tad sketchy! I do admire your enthusiasm but even something like a cheap 530i would be a great car!

The poster in question was me. I just speak from experience - I was the same, "when I'll start working I'll get this, that and these".

Then the day came, and the money would never be enough for anything. I did manage to have a nice car when I was living with my parents, but it was a 2.0, not a 5 liters V8. Now, renting an apartment and paying for bills and food, a 1.4 sometimes makes me wonder "do I really need it?".

Even when you have very little expenses and try to save, there's always something happening and burning your money.

I actually second the idea - the OP should get something a bit more on the modest side (if an Alfa V6 or a BMW 530 can be called modest) and see hows he gets on that :)

Depends on which car it was, 80k miles in a scooby? Just laziness there, its not that hard. Especially given the fact that detenation is a massive issue with them.I dont mind paying the extra to keep it right but as I said it depends on the car, the Gti's, s3 and scooby got platnium plugs and the normal cars just got run of the mill plugs from my local motor factors. But thanks for the advice.

Is everything an arguement in here, I never said Bmw make the plugs, I cant see why you would bring that up how does that make a difference?? neither do they make your oil but they still like to drag it out on their service schedule like VW.

The OP needs to buy a mk2 golf amd lash a ko4'd 1.8t into it :)

Is everything an arguement in here, I never said Bmw make the plugs, I cant see why you would bring that up how does that make a difference?? neither do they make your oil but they still like to drag it out on their service schedule like VW.
    Only brought up as the spark plugs were originally highlighted on a Focus ST and you responded
    Who leaves plugs in for 60k? BMW "longlife" my hole
    Some of the less savvy readers here will read that as BMW + spark plug problem.
    The working life of a spark plug has nothing to do with BMW and a Platinum will last 60k no problem in normal usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

Matt Simis wrote: »
    The working life of a spark plug has nothing to do with BMW and a Platinum will last 60k no problem in normal usage.

my sparks have been in there from new. 67k miles later and they're no cause for concern. If they ain't broke - don't fix 'em! - besides, there's enough money being spent on the car latley on new bonnet (some knacker threw a rock onto it), cleaning and polishing gear, and I have a feeling my front left disc may be warped.

Spark plugs can wait! :rolleyes:

Im just anal and silly I suppose, sorry I never meant that Bmw made them!

Sorry to here about your bonnet, some jealous scum out there cant afford there own car because they are the rest of inbreeding, have 6 toes and play the banjo.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭rocoso

m5 end of story......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

I know this is going against your current plan, but would you not buy the best e39 non M you could afford, which you're probably talking less than 4/5 grand for. Like a 540i or something along those lines, and use what ever money you can spare for mods and parts? You'll still have a car faster than 95% of the cars on the road, and with the cash left over you can do any number of things to it to make it the best e39 in the country. And you'd save a boat load of money.

M badges aren't too expensive on eBay either :pac:
    Max Power1 wrote: »
    Perhaps, but it is not the same car type at all. The RX8 is a small sports coupe whereas the M5 is a high spec performance saloon.

I can see an M5 as an aspirational car that would deter me from other spending to save for - can't see the mazda having the same appeal (maybe that's just me though)

Objection! Rotarymobiles have plenty of admirers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Brian wrote: »
    Objection! Rotarymobiles have plenty of admirers.
    +1

Advertisement