Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which car is better to save up for?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I'm too lazy to do the maths, but believe me at €11/h you can't afford any of those cars.

And still have enough left to live from.

I'd be interested to see your calcs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Sobanek wrote: »
    Besides, I think it's in my genes since my dad's brother got himself a 4 year old 525i back in 1996 when he was 20. That was really crazy back then!
    Not a bad choice and that's what I would get - a nice 525i or a 530i in the E39 form, possibly an estate. Just enough power, reasonable running costs, nice to drive, comfortable and practical. The M5 is over ambitious in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

T-Maxx wrote: »
    I'm too lazy to do the maths, but believe me at €11/h you can't afford any of those cars.

And still have enough left to live from.

I'd be interested to see your calcs though.

Sorry, I didn't write it properly - it's €12 per hour.

€12 per hour at 45 hrs per week (9 hrs per day work) = 12*45*4*12 = 25920.

25920 after deductions (taxes, usc etc.) = €22,130

22130 / 12 = 1845 per month

400 goes to my parents
    200 goes on transport
    150 goes for my expenses - don't need more. (Food provided, warm bed provided etc.)

1845 - 750 = 1095 (~1.1k)

1095 * 12 = €13,140 - should be enough for car + tax + insurance.

Then I can deduct the 200 for transport, so it becomes 1295 per month to spend on the car itself (fuel, services, tyres etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Your nett earning looks on the high side, but it might be right though. (Only €3790 tax etc?)

Anybody who can manage to live on €150/month deserves to drive a M5/Porsche.

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Your nett earning looks on the high side, but it might be right though. (Only €3790 tax etc?)

Anybody who can manage to live on €150/month deserves to drive a M5/Porsche.

Don't forget tax credits.

I had no problem living on €100 (including transport!) in 3 weeks time, so I'm guessing €150 in four weeks is ok.

Except for the salary, the rest is pure guesswork, so add/deduct €100 per month. Still, wouldn't be bad, and I'd be able to get a dream car. Just to get crazy, then to get the bills, then realise my mistake, then move on to something more sensible. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

If I was choosing I'd have the Porsche but I think your calculations are off. Based on your wage you'd be on the 20% tax rate, then you would need to pay prsi, paye and usc. To be honest I can't see you afford to keep one of those cars in the condition it needs to be kept on that wage but best of luck op

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Don't forget tax credits.

I had no problem living on €100 (including transport!) in 3 weeks time, so I'm guessing €150 in four weeks is ok.

Except for the salary, the rest is pure guesswork, so add/deduct €100 per month. Still, wouldn't be bad, and I'd be able to get a dream car. Just to get crazy, then to get the bills, then realise my mistake, then move on to something more sensible. :P

It's doable if you don't have a woman as well. They cost money (big time!!) and with an m5 or a Porsche you could become quite a proposition to some of the girls I know!:D

That said if you go back to college you'd most likely going to have to sell the car.
    If it was me if drop down the years, get a well minded luxurnomic and drive and insure that. There was a 02 cl500 that popped up on donedeal a few months ago for 2.5 k. It was at least 140k new and the ad claimed 184k.
    At least if you go back to college you wouldn't lose too much in depreciation.
    Also you'd still have some savings left over.

Trust me college aint cheap and having money in the bank is a god send.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

The Porsche and I agree 100%-still a beautiful looking motor and will age a lot better then most of the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

I say Honda S2000

• Advertisement

You can't polish a turd ..

glynf wrote: »

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Sorry, I didn't write it properly - it's €12 per hour.

€12 per hour at 45 hrs per week (9 hrs per day work) = 12*45*4*12 = 25920.

25920 after deductions (taxes, usc etc.) = €22,130

22130 / 12 = 1845 per month

400 goes to my parents
    200 goes on transport
    150 goes for my expenses - don't need more. (Food provided, warm bed provided etc.)

1845 - 750 = 1095 (~1.1k)

1095 * 12 = €13,140 - should be enough for car + tax + insurance.

Then I can deduct the 200 for transport, so it becomes 1295 per month to spend on the car itself (fuel, services, tyres etc.)

Using http://taxcalc.eu/ your net on €25920 would be €21866 (income tax €5184/USC €1134/PRSI €1037..Single tax credit of €3300) so you'd be down somewhat on your initial amount.

Personally I think you're madder than a box of frogs, that said I'd have an M5 any day of the week.

It's only a €25 difference per month...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

What?

I assume he's trying to say that an Octavia with a bodykit is still an Octavia,..

Indeed.

Well the octavia rs is essentially a golf gti with a bigger boot...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Fook it OP - if you can manage it go for it.

Fair fooks to you lad! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

How the hell is that Lexus on the same list as the first two ?

M5 or 645i would be my choice tbh.

But if i was myself buying something and fuel/tax wasn't an issue it would have to be a V8 merc or possibly a S4

My next car will be my "Stupid car" regardless, won't be for a couple of years yet though as im enjoying my T5 fun too much

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Having been in an e39 and a 6er the other night i would take the 645 for sure. so much car for your money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I'm Polish. I'm mad.

I don't know what is it with you people

LOL :D What's with (some) of us people is that they are Irish and think like Irish people when it comes to cars :pac:
    What?

That's polish as in like car polish, nothing to do with Polish people being turds :D

I don't see why people have to bring Sobanek's earnings into this. If anything, it's a fun thread so just have fun!

Sobanek - It'd be the M5 for me but by the time this idea becomes a reality, you would have the 335i as an option.

Problem with most people is that they don't like going too far back in years, even im awful for it tbh :(

When you are making payments on a car it's nice to see it's almost new atleast :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

You can buy a Cessna 150 for €20,000

So that's say €32,000 give or take.

With the cost of said cars and tax + insurance and service cost which will be a few thousand a year on them thing, y9ou better of getting to like flying!

Oh yeah because a Cessna light aircraft makes real sense if you want to pop down to Dunnes for a a litre of milk and tea bags. Or go virtually anywhere for that matter.

Sobanek your a mad man but fair play to you. My first car to get me on the road was a rattly bag of nuts and bolts Renault Megavan and it was no walk in the park getting going in that at the time....
    How the hell is that Lexus on the same list as the first two ?

I was wondering that too and even moreso the BMW 530D on the same menu as a BMW M5:eek:. They may have the same bodies but they are different machines entirely.

If I could afford any of the cars from the list it would need to be the BMW M5. Different strokes for different folks but I think the Porsche looks a bit pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Also, don't forget the 535d ;)

IS250, 530d and the S80 were added for a bit of sensibleness. :D

I think this video might have won me over:

The M5 is the most expensive, is the most expensive to insure and most expensive to run. But this says to me: screw this, mate, the M5 is a driver's car, and while most people will drive the brand new 520d, you'll smoke them in your 12 year old M5. :D

On another note: It's not about buying the fastest car, or the most economical one. I'm looking for the best driver's machine and the M5 fits the description. While my dad doesn't like the idea of an M5 (just generally, not only economically wise), I simply love to be able to bring 4 people on board in comfort and drive 150mph down the N7 (of course, that won't take place in the real world, but maybe once the M7 is empty, I'd bring the M5 out for a top speed run, just out of curiousity).

I think the M5 is the winner, and I'll start saving up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Why the fook are people talking about 'planes in a car suggest thread!?! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

If it was me I'd go for the M5.

You're a mad bollox I have to say:D

Just remember though, if you want to do anything like a holiday, have a breakdown etc you're screwed. I admire the ambition, but I would suggest aiming a little lower with the spending. That doesn't mean you will have any less of a car either, maybe just a bit older. There's also a world of difference between some of the cars mentioned - if I was in your position I'd be looking at an I6 E46 BMW.

Lol sorry Sobanek, should have emphasized that..polish as in shoe polish!:eek:

BTW, you should consider how easy/difficult it will be to sell on whatever you go for if you are only planning to keep it for a year.

Maybe something like an S4?

no-image-large.gif

Lol sorry Sobanek, should have emphasized that..polish as in shoe polish!:eek:

BTW, you should consider how easy/difficult it will be to sell on whatever you go for if you are only planning to keep it for a year.

Maybe something like an S4?

no-image-large.gif

No problem, glynf ;)

The S4 looks like a good choice as well, but then, I'd love RWD :) The Quattro isn't bad, but there's just something about Audi that I don't like.
    If it was me I'd go for the M5.

You're a mad bollox I have to say:D

Just remember though, if you want to do anything like a holiday, have a breakdown etc you're screwed. I admire the ambition, but I would suggest aiming a little lower with the spending. That doesn't mean you will have any less of a car either, maybe just a bit older. There's also a world of difference between some of the cars mentioned - if I was in your position I'd be looking at an I6 E46 BMW.

I know your point. I didn't go on a holiday in the past 4 years, and I don't think I really want to go much! I know, the M5 suffers from VANOS issues, so if that went wrong, it'd be a nightmare to get fixed. I had thought about the 330ci and the M3 (E46) as well, but they're more common than the M5 :)

I know I'm mad, this was sort of a thought that later became an idea. I mean - if I could afford it, why not just go with it? A year of driving an M3/M5/whatever I'd buy is much more fun than a year of driving an underpowered 1.4 golf let's say. I don't really have any day-to-day costs - what will I spend my money on? I'll give some to my parents to support them, I'll spend some money on booze, and that's pretty much it. Saving is a very reasonable option, and I can understand people that have suggested this to me, but at this stage of my life, I don't think I'll need to save up for anything except for a brilliant car.

• Advertisement

Whats 08 S4 tax like anyway on the 4.2 litre before they changed to the V6 ?

Advertisement