Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE & the property tax

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

SamHall wrote: »
    But you refused to pay a poll tax.

Like I've already stated - I fully expected to have to pay my poll tax and any accrued penalties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

alastair wrote: »
    Like I've already stated - I fully expected to have to pay my poll tax and any accrued penalties.

Well.....All of the homeowners who refuse to voluntary pay this lpt have been repeatedly told by govt and revenue that they'll forcibly take it from us regardless.

You've set the bar on criminality and taxation, so we're no less criminals than you are.

Welcome to the club.

Well.....All of the homeowners who refuse to voluntary pay this lpt have been repeatedly told by govt and revenue that they'll forcibly take it from us regardless.

You've set the bar on criminality and taxation, so we're no less criminals than you are.

Welcome to the club.

Sorry - unless I start claiming that I won't pay my taxes, we're in very different clubs. I'm 100% tax compliant. If you can't spot the difference, there's not much more I can do to help. The property tax is no more voluntary than any other tax you pay.

Sorry - unless I start claiming that I won't pay my taxes, we're in very different clubs. I'm 100% tax compliant. If you can't spot the difference, there's not much more I can do to help. The property tax is no more voluntary than any other tax you pay.

Was the poll tax (that you refused to pay) voluntary at the time?

I don't need help in spotting hypocrisy. Thanks for your concern though.

Was the poll tax (that you refused to pay) voluntary at the time?

I don't need help in spotting hypocrisy. Thanks for your concern though.

No it wasn't, but then I wasn't deluding myself that I wouldn't have to pay it just because I disagreed with it. This thread is filled with the sort of 'they can jump if they think I'll ever pay' nonsense - which does indeed offer a handy leap from protest action to unlawful activity to criminality. I was never in a position where I was breaking a law, or advocating doing so.

If you're acknowledging that you will indeed pay up in the end of the day, then you avoid criminal behaviour - but the hypocrisy is in pretending otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

gowley wrote: »
    does anyone else have a feeling that alastair is working as a spin doctor for one of the government parties

yep, you get them on all these threads. They are there to counterbalance the arguments so as that they are not a one sided affair.

(The Troika guys might be looking in, you got to keep them happy)

yep, you get them on all these threads. They are there to counterbalance the arguments so as that they are not a one sided affair.

(The Troika guys might be looking in, you got to keep them happy)

Which do you prefer - Bacofoil or the own brand stuff?

No it wasn't, but then I wasn't deluding myself that I wouldn't have to pay it just because I disagreed with it. This thread is filled with the sort of 'they can jump if they think I'll ever pay' nonsense - which does indeed offer a handy leap from protest action to unlawful activity to criminality. I was never in a position where I was breaking a law, or advocating doing so.

When you refused to pay a tax, you (by your definition) engaged in criminality.

You set the rule here, not me. We can do this all day if you like. You've said on this thread that
    Not paying your taxes is indeed unlawful - no harm in clarifying that fact.

You did not pay a lawful tax in the UK, you refused. By your logic, that's an open and shut case of unlawful behaviour.
    If you're acknowledging that you will indeed pay up in the end of the day, then you avoid criminal behaviour - but the hypocrisy is in pretending otherwise.

I will pay it when/if they forcibly take it from me. If hundreds of thousands like me take the same stance, it will be unworkable/unenforceable.

Don't try pretending otherwise. You only have to look at the huge numbers of non compliance for the hhc. How many got prosecuted there?

They (revenue and the govt) are still groping in the dark. I can play the waiting game for the next general election.

Do not kid yourself that fg will return to power.

When you refused to pay a tax, you (by your definition) engaged in criminality.

Nope - refusing to pay your tax is unlawful - at some point it may well become criminal activity if you continue to obstruct collection of those taxes and it goes to court.

I will pay it when/if they forcibly take it from me. If hundreds of thousands like me take the same stance, it will be unworkable/unenforceable.

The majority of your taxes are 'forcibly' taken from you - I don't see the system breaking down on the back of that reality. Glad to hear you concede that you'll pay in the end though.
    Don't try pretending otherwise. You only have to look at the huge numbers of non compliance for the hhc. How many got prosecuted there?
    None - because the revenue will be taking that HHC and the rest (200 euro in total) from July. Why bother with prosecutions in those circumstances?
    They (revenue and the govt) are still groping in the dark. I can play the waiting game for the next general election.

Do not kid yourself that fg will return to power.

You seriously believe that SF* will form a majority govt? Because FG, Lab, FF, and assorted others all support the property tax, or accept it's inevitability. :rolleyes:

*Assuming they would behave differently here than in NI - where they enforce a taxation system they claim to oppose.

Nope - refusing to pay your tax is unlawful - at some point it may well become criminal activity if you continue to obstruct collection of those taxes and it goes to court.

So you actually paid the poll tax so?

The majority of your taxes are 'forcibly' taken from you - I don't see the system breaking down on the back of that reality. Glad to hear you concede that you'll pay in the end though.

Yeah. Let them forcibly take it from us. I'll not do their work for them though.
    Time will tell.

None - because the revenue will be taking that HHC and the rest (200 euro in total) from July. Why bother with prosecutions in those circumstances?

Revenue still don't know who owns what/paid what. I don't envisage them untangling that puzzle before the next general election.

You seriously believe that SF* will form a majority govt? Because FG, Lab, FF, and assorted others all support the property tax, or accept it's inevitability. :rolleyes:

*Assuming they would behave differently here than in NI - where they enforce a taxation system they claim to oppose.

I never mentioned SF tbh.

FF have voiced opposition to the lpt. Wrong tax, wrong time is their slogan if memory serves me correctly.

You honestly don't think they'll engage in some form of vote buying in such a thorny issue?

Just like when rates were abolished lol.

• Advertisement

So you actually paid the poll tax so?

It collapsed before I had to. There was no subsequent obligation to pay it. But the poll tax was opposed by pretty much everyone except Thatcher herself - my local authority for instance was opposed to it, and didn't do much to encourage it's implementation.

Yeah. Let them forcibly take it from us. I'll not do their work for them though.
    Time will tell.

It'll be no bother for them, and there's the bonus of penalty payments.

Revenue still don't know who owns what/paid what. I don't envisage them untangling that puzzle before the next general election.

Best of luck with that strategy.

I never mentioned SF tbh.

FF have voiced opposition to the lpt. Wrong tax, wrong time is their slogan if memory serves me correctly.

FF introduced the property tax. You'd have to be pretty gullible if you think FF will do anything but continue to apply it.
    You honestly don't think they'll engage in some form of vote buying in such a thorny issue?

Just like when rates were abolished lol.

Rates were abolished at a time of economic growth, and in a context of the other parties also sharing electoral policies of abolishing rates. Quite a different set of electoral circumstances.

Which do you prefer - Bacofoil or the own brand stuff?

not meaning to derail the thread, so I will only bring this up once. I have a friend who worked for a senior FF TD's office during the last government. ( a job is a job as he said himself)
    He told me that part of his working day consisted of checking RIP.ie and Highland Radio obituaries so that he could alert his boss of any funerals that needed to be attended. They would also spend some time on boards.ie and politics.ie to argue in favour of government policies.
    So yes, there are people out there that do this, I heard it from the horses mouth.

*I didn't mean to accuse you of being one of them, so apologies.

not meaning to derail the thread, so I will only bring this up once. I have a friend who worked for a senior FF TD's office during the last government. ( a job is a job as he said himself)
    He told me that part of his working day consisted of checking RIP.ie and Highland Radio obituaries so that he could alert his boss of any funerals that needed to be attended. They would also spend some time on boards.ie and politics.ie to argue in favour of government policies.
    So yes, there are people out there that do this, I heard it from the horses mouth.

*I didn't mean to accuse you of being one of them, so apologies.

Mary Coughlan employed a horse to post on forums? That might explain the lack of positive posts relating to competancy in her job. A monkey now - there's the recipe for success.

The trioka don't invest one iota of interest in anyone's missives here - Mary's horse notwithstanding.

It collapsed before I had to. There was no subsequent obligation to pay it. But the poll tax was opposed by pretty much everyone except Thatcher herself - my local authority for instance was opposed to it, and didn't do much to encourage it's implementation.

I'm following your strategy. Hopefully the govt will collapse before its taken from me.
    (Cpa might speed is demise up)

It'll be no bother for them, and there's the bonus of penalty payments.

That may be true if it applied to me alone. Hundreds of thousands though? It'll take time.

Best of luck with that strategy.

As above.

FF introduced the property tax. You'd have to be pretty gullible if you think FF will do anything but continue to apply it.

As gullible as those who fell for fg and labours pre election lies?

Rates were abolished at a time of economic growth, and in a context of the other parties also sharing electoral policies of abolishing rates. Quite a different set of electoral circumstances.

An lpt should only be introduced at a time of economic growth.

Lot of hypocrisy from govt supporters on this thread.

We should have a property tax because every other country has one. ...
    We shouldn't raise corporation tax to match every other countries. ...

It goes on and on.

I'm following your strategy. Hopefully the govt will collapse before its taken from me.
    (Cpa might speed is demise up).
    Hope over common sense then. If you're relying on FF both forming a majority goverment, and having any intention of finding an alternative to the property tax, you're looking at some long odds.

That may be true if it applied to me alone. Hundreds of thousands though? It'll take time.
    The revenue isn't generally known for it's lack of persistence.

As gullible as those who fell for fg and labours pre election lies?
    More so, if anything.

An lpt should only be introduced at a time of economic growth.
    When it's less required?
    Lot of hypocrisy from govt supporters on this thread.

We should have a property tax because every other country has one. ...
    We shouldn't raise corporation tax to match every other countries. ...

It goes on and on.

I don't see anyone claiming we should have property taxes just because the other cool kids do. The benefits of a sustainable taxation system are rather more compelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The benefits of a sustainable taxation system are rather more compelling.

A sustainable taxation system is to be lauded, however people aren't idiots.

The scum who destroyed this country are still being rewarded from our taxes and our taxes are paying private gambling debts.

We need a sustainable taxation system, but it must go hand in hand with sensible spending of our taxes.

would it be fair to say that very many people now, do not trust the government, given their failure to deliver on their pre-election promises, and the very poor handling of an array of other issues.

How can they be trusted to implement the new property tax system in a fair and effective way?

Hope over common sense then. If you're relying on FF both forming a majority goverment, and having any intention of finding an alternative to the property tax, you're looking at some long odds.

I'll take my chances. I'd rather pay up with penalties when forced to, than pay up meekly, then not get a refund when the coalition collapses.

The revenue isn't generally known for it's lack of persistence.

Maybe they'll cut me a deal like Hegarty and Wallace?

When it's less required?

When people can afford it.

I don't see anyone claiming we should have property taxes just because the other cool kids do. The benefits of a sustainable taxation system are rather more compelling.

Search this thread, the proof is out there.

Zebra3 wrote: »

The scum who destroyed this country are still being rewarded from our taxes and our taxes are paying private gambling debts.

We need a sustainable taxation system, but it must go hand in hand with sensible spending of our taxes.

I'll refer you to the graph I posted earlier - the bank debt is only a small portion of our overhead. I'll also point out that the only lenders prepared to keep the country financed were very clear on which gambling debts we had to cover. Rock and a hard place for whoever happens to be governing this country.

would it be fair to say that very many people now, do not trust the government, given their failure to deliver on their pre-election promises, and the very poor handling of an array of other issues.

How can they be trusted to implement the new property tax system in a fair and effective way?

Your alternative to this would be what exactly? A FF-led coalition government? Would that reassure you?

• Advertisement

I'll take my chances. I'd rather pay up with penalties when forced to, than pay up meekly, then not get a refund when the coalition collapses.

No need to be meek - just rationale.

Maybe they'll cut me a deal like Hegarty and Wallace?
    Best of luck with that. Wallace hands over half his Dail salary to the revenue btw - you like the sound of that deal?

When people can afford it.
    If people actually can't afford it, they can defer payment, with interest mind. There's rather more whinging from those who can afford it, but would rather not have to.

Search this thread, the proof is out there.
    Links shouldn't be too difficult for you then?

I'll refer you to the graph I posted earlier - the bank debt is only a small portion of our overhead. I'll also point out that the only lenders prepared to keep the country financed were very clear on which gambling debts we had to cover. Rock and a hard place for whoever happens to be governing this country.

Your graph has all the credibility of a five year old crayoning something on their first day in school.

Your graph has all the credibility of a five year old crayoning something on their first day in school.

If you've any quibble with specifics, just point it out. The figures are accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

What's there to be one sided about?

It's a legal tax, pay it. Simples.

Last thing we should do is give air time to the soap dodgers.

A schnitzel eater is in favour of Irish people paying property taxes ??

Is that you Angela Merkel ??

If you've any quibble with specifics, just point it out. The figures are accurate.

The source.

The source.

Ronan Lyons. Credible economist. No argument with the figures then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

And herein is the crux of everything that's wrong with politics in this Godforesaken country. Who can trust a bloody politician? We have one who owes the VAT man €2M odd, another who get's his penalty points quashed, and then the one who owes the 2 M quid tells the one who had his points quashed that what he did was wrong??? We have a party leader who sinks his own party members to lickasré his coalition partner? We had a minister for 'finance' who never had a bank account??

Sensible spending of our taxes? These 'politicians' don't know the meaning of the phrase......oh they do, as long as it suits THEMSELVES!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

I take it you're opposed to all manner of taxation on the same basis then? And you're choosing to assert this belief though non-payment of taxes rather than at the ballot box?
    i pay my taxes dont have a choice doesnt mean i agree with it though. cant believe you have so many replies on this thread. hope my taxes arent paying for you to defend the property tax on public forums

Alastair...or can I now call You Mick ( short for michael noonan)? I despise Your thoughts, indeed find them arrogant and repulsive in the extreme.

HOWEVER, I also respect You for at least having the balls to lay Your cards on the table. Over this thread and the last 1 & half thread on the HHC ( which I was following) I have noticed a LOT of 'thanks' for the PRO posts by madcon.

Really, isn't it time madcon, YOU made a statement? I don't know how long you are on boards, but you have mailed a HUGE number of posts so far...FOUR, and ALL on basketball. I am not denyign You the right to do this, but surely, if you are endorsing the yes ministers, it would be the decent thing to at least lay YOUR cards on the table.

• Advertisement

A schnitzel eater is in favour of Irish people paying property taxes ??

Is that you Angela Merkel ??

You could be right RM, but I have never heard the Frau sprekken Engels....can she?:-)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement