Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE & the property tax

Options

Comments

Am Chile wrote: »
    I just checked my facebook news feed-this post came up on the protests around ireland page-alan shatters home was picketed yesterday by some protesters-in my view its just a pity more groups dont use their method of protesting at the moment.

I'm sure Alan Shatter and all Ministers are quaking in their boots at half a dozen people shuffling up and down on the footpath! What exactly were they protesting about? The picture was of an old ramshackle ruin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

darkhorse wrote: »
    Well, yeah, now that you mention it, through 30+ years of taxation of income.

Taxes contributed over the last 30+ years have long since been spent.
    SamHall wrote: »
    Income tax and vat doesn't cover those things then?

In part, yes, but not completely. Hence the need for a Property Tax to make up the shortfall.
    Didn't they say they'd take it from source for the hhc?

Not that I recall, unless you can provide links that show otherwise?
    I agree that 7% is extreme across the board. I'm married to an ex front line public service worker. I've seen her leave for work at six am and not get home until half eight pm completely worked to the bone. However if the money isn't there, what choice do the govt have?

As far as what this has to do with the property tax thread goes, less than 300, 000 workers rehected pay cuts from the government. The govt have now said they will have to introduce legislation to cut it across the board.

Double that amount of people (four times if you count 2owners per property) rejected the hhc.

If the govt gives in to the ps, homeowners will be asking why should they be treated differently than the home owners who refused to pay the hhc/lpt?

Most people refusing to pay the lpt are saying they can't afford it.

Most ps workers rejecting the cpa are doing so for the reasons that they can't afford it either.

The divide and conquer plan the govt had is collapsing. Much like the coalition itself.

I'd seriously doubt that people are refusing to pay because they "can't afford it". A certain percentage of people are just chancing their arm. Another percentage could afford to pay if they got rid of some unncessary luxuries, but are unwilling to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Talk about gullible.

All the new taxes are to pay for the private banking debt.

Troika getting the traitors in Dail Eireann to see how far we'll bend over.

No need for that.

The funds generated by the property tax will be ringfenced for local services. It's in the legislation. But hey, let's not facts get it in way of insulting each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

The funds generated by the property tax will be ringfenced for local services. It's in the legislation. But hey, let's not facts get it in way of insulting each other.

Who legislated for it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,893 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Am Chile wrote: »
    I just checked my facebook news feed-this post came up on the protests around ireland page-alan shatters home was picketed yesterday by some protesters-in my view its just a pity more groups dont use their method of protesting at the moment.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=170025643157090&set=vb.100004489661187&type=2&theater

I cycled by a protest on Saturday outside Dundalk. This picture does not do it justice, there were at least 6 other equally unattractive characters standing around. The reference to Dowdallshill is because it is the local cemetry.

http://talkofthetown.ie/2013/04/20/meanwhile-at-ballymascanlon-roundabout/

Who legislated for it?
    The Dáil.

What's with the daft rhetorical questions lately?

I cycled by a protest on Saturday outside Dundalk. This picture does not do it justice, there were at least 6 other equally unattractive characters standing around. The reference to Dowdallshill is because it is the local cemetry.

http://talkofthetown.ie/2013/04/20/meanwhile-at-ballymascanlon-roundabout/

I'd heard the Revenue had sent assessments out to some dead people, but I didn't expect them to get uppity about it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

In part, yes, but not completely. Hence the need for a Property Tax to make up the shortfall.

A third rate of tax and a marginal rise in Income tax would do the same job. Of course though, the high earner income tax might very well hit the politicians themselves, not to mention wealthy farmers......

Not that I recall, unless you can provide links that show otherwise?

I already posted a link earlier where Hogan threatened it.

I'd seriously doubt that people are refusing to pay because they "can't afford it". A certain percentage of people are just chancing their arm. Another percentage could afford to pay if they got rid of some unncessary luxuries, but are unwilling to do so.

Would you like to list some to me?

As for people who
    Another percentage could afford to pay
    Big Hogan could very well afford to pay his service charge in Portugal but didn't?

What makes him so special?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

The beauty about the property tax is not only the fact it can be deducted from your wages, welfare, or bank account, but the % of home value can be increased each year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

unncessary luxuries

i'd have to agree about this. i'd urge everyone to stop buying luxuries. think of the money you will all save in both the item cost and the tax you are paying to the state in smoking, drinking, new cars and buying useless sh1te you dont need. i started last September and have saved a small fortune.

Great idea DNC :)

I suppose you'll refuse to pay the new TV licence too?

New TV licence? What's that all about?

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    The beauty about the property tax is not only the fact it can be deducted from your wages, welfare, or bank account, but the % of home value can be increased each year.

That's great. Do we have to buy our own straps to conduct self-flagellation, or will they be provided?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

A third rate of tax and a marginal rise in Income tax would do the same job. Of course though, the high earner income tax might very well hit the politicians themselves, not to mention wealthy farmers......

Luckily the politicians and wealthy farmers tend not to be property owners, and thus avoid this form of taxation.

Oh... wait.

That's great. Do we have to buy our own straps to conduct self-flagellation, or will they be provided?

The rest of the civilized world would like to know why you're calling them masochists. Property tax is a progressive system of taxation, and impacts less on job/wealth creation than income taxes do - so it seems like a pretty sensible component of any sustainable revenue model.

Aside from that - it's pure awful stuff altogether!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

alastair wrote: »
    The rest of the civilized world would like to know why you're calling them masochists. Property tax is a progressive system of taxation, and impacts less on job/wealth creation than income taxes do - so it seems like a pretty sensible component of any sustainable revenue model.

yes but wouldn't you agree that the timing of the property tax bill is extremely bad? The dust hasn't settled yet after the property price crash. Property prices haven't bottomed out yet. Householders aren't ready to factor in yet another increment to their annual household bill. What would be wrong with giving people some breathing space until the economy picks up, as we are led to believe it will?
    The last thing the average household needs is more financial pressure, particularly when they are being told they are breaking the law if they don't comply. The government is lacking in basic empathy.

yes but wouldn't you agree that the timing of the property tax bill is extremely bad? The dust hasn't settled yet after the property price crash. Property prices haven't bottomed out yet. Householders aren't ready to factor in yet another increment to their annual household bill. What would be wrong with giving people some breathing space until the economy picks up, as we are led to believe it will?
    The last thing the average household needs is more financial pressure, particularly when they are being told they are breaking the law if they don't comply. The government is lacking in basic empathy.

Empathy usually takes a backseat to necessity. The deficit is a reality, and a pressing one - regardless of how nasty the medicine might taste. Not paying your taxes is indeed unlawful - no harm in clarifying that fact. Those who con themselves that they can wish it (the property tax) away are on a fool's errand, and all of those who claim that they've a formula for avoiding eventual payment are peddling snakeoil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

What makes him so special?
    Don't you know poor Phil's "circumstances don't allow for that at the moment". The same reason he couldn't afford to take a pay cut when Enda suggested that all FG should.

Empathy usually takes a backseat to necessity. The deficit is a reality, and a pressing one - regardless of how nasty the medicine might taste. Not paying your taxes is indeed unlawful - no harm in clarifying that fact. Those who con themselves that they can wish it (the property tax) away are on a fool's errand, and all of those who claim that they've a formula for avoiding eventual payment are peddling snakeoil.

blood cannot be extracted from a turnip/stone, law or no law.. regardless of who is peddling what

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

Those who con themselves that they can wish it (the property tax) away are on a fool's errand, and all of those who claim that they've a formula for avoiding eventual payment are peddling snakeoil.

Didn't you do this very thing with the Poll tax?

• Advertisement

blood cannot be extracted from a turnip/stone, law or no law.. regardless of who is peddling what

Luckily it's just money they need to access then. If you owe it, they'll get it one way or another. If you require wages, tax clearance cert, or the sale of your property, say goodbye to what you owe plus penalties.

Luckily it's just money they need to access then. If you owe it, they'll get it one way or another. If you require wages, tax clearance cert, or the sale of your property, say goodbye to what you owe plus penalties.

are you happy with this system then?

bgrizzley wrote: »
    Didn't you do this very thing with the Poll tax?

No I didn't. I fully expected to have to pay what I owed on the poll tax & penalties. The property tax isn't going to go the way of the poll tax - let's not pretend otherwise.

are you happy with this system then?

I'm happy that we've re-introduced a property tax into our system. It might not be my preferred system of property taxation, but that's another matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

No need for that.

And the money that previously funded local services from other forms of taxations goes to pay the banks' debts.

Gullible is right.

I'm happy that we've re-introduced a property tax into our system. It might not be my preferred system of property taxation, but that's another matter.

how do you mean we've re-introduced?

how do you mean we've introduced?

Maybe you hadn't noticed but the electorate voted in parties that supported property taxation as part of their electoral manifestos in a free and fair election?

We had a residential property tax in the form of rates until 1977. We had another residential property tax - applicable only to high income households, from '83 to '97.

Maybe you hadn't noticed but the electorate voted in parties that supported property taxation as part of their electoral manifestos in a free and fair election?

voted in parties that have u-turned on their position on property tax,
    "All Irish people believe that a man's house is his castle. It is morally unjust and unfair to tax a person's home [This tax] reminds me of a vampire tax in that it drives a stake through the heart of home initiative, and sucks the life blood of people who want to own their own home." Enda Kenny, 1994

Im away to bed.. nigh nigh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

its often quoted that the uk has a property tax. this pays for free refuse collection, free health care , free dental care , free school books etc etc. the difference is in ireland it is going to pay back the loans we owe that were caused by the incompetnce of the government and the highly paid bankers and developers. it is progressive if done in the right way. here its just another tax to bail out the muppets

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement