Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE & the property tax

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

The big big money is still in the private sector. If you limit PS workers to a maximum of €100K (SF policy) how can you ever hope to attract the sort of talent that pays themselves €6 million. Or €15 million in one case. Politics and public service are not vocations and I fail to see how Prime Ministers for instance or the American President should only be paid 1% or 2% of what these people get given the comparative responsibilities.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/topearning-irish-bosses-shared-almost-60m-in-pay-29210678.html

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/aryztas-killian-pockets-155m-29210685.html

If you think the politicians are doing a bad job would paying them a lot more be the way to attract people who could do better?

So you're against cutting the salaries of the public sector. Thanks for clearing that up.

290000 refusing to accept pay cuts needed as the govt can't afford to pay it abd the troika demand it are right.

600, 000 (possibly double as most homes are jointly owned) refusing to pay the hhc because they couldn't afford it or didn't agree with it, though govt need the revenue, and the troika 'demanded' it are wrong in your eyes though.

Lastly, as I've said before. Private sector employees get paid based on the performance of the individual and how well v the privately owned company is doing in business.

Our ps got increments, funded by the tax payers in the state.

The States bankrupt, so it's not exactly performing well.

Words fail me tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,892 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

SamHall wrote: »
    So you're against cutting the salaries of the public sector. Thanks for clearing that up.

290000 refusing to accept pay cuts needed as the govt can't afford to pay it abd the troika demand it are right.

600, 000 (possibly double as most homes are jointly owned) refusing to pay the hhc because they couldn't afford it or didn't agree with it, though govt need the revenue, and the troika 'demanded' it are wrong in your eyes though.

Lastly, as I've said before. Private sector employees get paid based on the performance of the individual and how well v the privately owned company is doing in business.

Our ps got increments, funded by the tax payers in the state.

The States bankrupt, so it's not exactly performing well.

Words fail me tbh.

You're ascribing an opinion to me there which I didn't express. And you are making up figures. 290,000 did not vote against CPA and you would have to know how many have paid the HHC to make the other calculation. Do you know?

Words didn't fail you but if they did I expect it would only be temporary tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

SamHall wrote: »
    For some, 7%, even 5% may be too much to give up.

Others however, won't even notice it (thinking of County council managers in €150k here) they should be cut by 30-50% imo.[/QUOTE]

One of those CC'managers' here in Kildare even gets a day out at the races next week....at the tax payers expense.

Utterly despicable!!!

You're ascribing an opinion to me there which I didn't express.

Sorry, but from where I'm sat it looks like you're actively defending the high levels of pay some of our ps employees enjoy.

If that's not the case, I apologise sincerely.
    And you are making up figures. 290,000 did not vote against CPA

So even less than 290000 can dictate to a government through a vote on taking a voluntary pay cut.

Pity the 600-800000 homeowners who refused the hhc weren't given the option to vote for a tax on their homes.

and you would have to know how many have paid the HHC to make the other calculation. Do you know?

I can only go by the govt figures. Last I heard it was 1000000 had paid.
    Words didn't fail you but if they did I expect it would only be temporary tbh.

What can I say? Someone needs to correct you from time to time. ;)

• Advertisement

"I can only go by the govt figures. Last I heard it was 1000000 had paid."

Last I heard, 1,200,000 had paid.

"http://www.irishtimes.com/news/revenue-to-pursue-400-000-over-household-charge-1.1365238

Local authorities are preparing to hand over a database to the Revenue Commissioners that will help identify almost 400,000 households who have yet to pay the household charge.
    New figures show almost 1.2 million – or 73 per cent – out of an estimated 1.6 million liable households have paid.

"I can only go by the govt figures. Last I heard it was 1000000 had paid."

Last I heard, 1,200,000 had paid.

"http://www.irishtimes.com/news/revenue-to-pursue-400-000-over-household-charge-1.1365238

Local authorities are preparing to hand over a database to the Revenue Commissioners that will help identify almost 400,000 households who have yet to pay the household charge.
    New figures show almost 1.2 million – or 73 per cent – out of an estimated 1.6 million liable households have paid.

I wonder just how they can hand over what they haven't a clue of?

Oh and btw...I am shaking in my feet at this 'threat'.:-)))

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    I wonder just how they can hand over what they haven't a clue of?

Oh and btw...I am shaking in my feet at this 'threat'.:-)))

I suppose you'll refuse to pay the new TV licence too?

I suppose you'll refust to pay the new TV licence too?

You ARE being VERY presumptious...

DON'T presume anything please!!!

It is interesting to see the Sinn Fein position on payment as reported by The Journal.

http://www.thejournal.ie/property-tax-tds-paying-boycott-866037-Apr2013/

** A Sinn Féin Spokesperson said: "[The] question about payment, or not, by individual TDs is hypothetical as the legislation to facilitate the collection of this unfair tax has been framed in such a way to take personal choice about its payment away from the individual."

Is this some new version of the Freeman of the Land concept where they think taxpayers should have a personal choice whether to break the law? A Sinn Fein Spokesperson here could tell me. I imagine if the law was framed so as to allow personal choice a lot of people would not pay.

But at least some of them have the honesty to acknowledge that anyone saying not to pay is just engaging in bluster.

Some Sinn Féin TDs who boycotted the household charge last year acknowledged that they would now be forced to pay that charge when it is added to their property tax liability. The majority who were contacted did not respond to queries.

Caoimhghín Ó Caoláin said that he was “minded to pay it on the basis that I have no option” while Pádraig Mac Lochlainn said that any public representative who said they would not be paying would be engaging in “bluster”, adding: “They will have to pay at some point.”

• Advertisement

MaryLou is 'minded' to pay it too. TD's have to have a tax clearance certificate to keep thier seat. It they don't pay, they are not tax compliant and can't get a tax clearance cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

TD's have to have a tax clearance certificate to..........

Yawn...........
    Michael Lowry admitted to evading tax and settled with the revenue for about €1.5m, how the fcuk is the man allowed to stand for election as a legislator when we have proof that he doesn't heed that legislation? Ahern was unable to produce a tax clearance certificate as required by the SIPO legislation, but that problem sort of went away, Michael Collins was another sitting TD who had set up a bogus company for the purposes of evading tax (his nephew now has the family seat), he stood down in 2007.

Are people just taking the piss in this thread? How many people paid the property tax in '96? Show of hands?

MaryLou is 'minded' to pay it too. TD's have to have a tax clearance certificate to keep thier seat. It they don't pay, they are not tax compliant and can't get a tax clearance cert.

Who cares about ML, or anyone else in Kildare Street for that matter? As far as I can see, it would appear get into Kildare Street, and you're on a different planet to the riff raff. Only exception for me is Róisín Shortall!

squod wrote: »
    Yawn...........

Are people just taking the piss in this thread? How many people paid the property tax in '96? Show of hands?

Seems all the govt trolls are doing their damndest to talk verbal diahhorea.

Isn't it amazing that when people offer different opinions to Le Dieux that they are Government trolls? Are we not allowed think for ourselves? Isn't that what democracy is about?

squod wrote: »
    Yawn...........

I wasn't liable, not very many people were. It was more like the property tax element of the proposed Sinn Fein Wealth Tax.

http://www.publicpolicy.ie/the-local-property-tax/

Residential Property Tax was due on valuable properties if the income of the owner exceeded a certain limit. The tax base was narrow and revenue yields were insignificant. The amount of households that were liable never exceeded 20,000 until a flat rate (as opposed to a proportion of valuation) was introduced in 1994. Despite the introduction of a flat rate only 1,500 more households paid the tax in 1994, less than 2% of the population, which resulted in roughly €16.5 million in revenue in the last two full years of operation of the tax (1995 and 1996).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Isn't it amazing that when people offer different opinions to Le Dieux that they are Government trolls? Are we not allowed think for ourselves? Isn't that what democracy is about?
    I'm afraid its the standard insult when there are no arguments left in the tank.

The tax clearance cert thing will force a lot of self employed people to pay the lpt, especially those who tender for state contracts, but it does make sense that you shouldn't be able to get contracts with the state if you aren't willing to pay the state's taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Phoebas wrote: »
    I'm afraid its the standard insult when there are no arguments left in the tank.

The tax clearance cert thing will force a lot of self employed people to pay the lpt, especially those who tender for state contracts, but it does make sense that you shouldn't be able to get contracts with the state if you aren't willing to pay the state's taxes.

It would make more sense if the state stood up for its citizens instead of making a corrupt foreign elite its priority. :rolleyes:

We know, you've already told us.

And I've already told you. I've a mind of my own. You couldn't be expected to copy politician's actions or the country would be in a n even bigger mess, Stubbs Gazette, Tax evasion, Drunk drivers, Motor tax evasion, even train fare dodging.......

It's a pity Phil Hogan wouldn't be 'minded' to pay his HHC (equivalent) in Portugal.

Liky you, Sam, I have a mind of my own. Be happy.

• Advertisement

Doesnt seem to stop some people sitting in Councils/Govt tbh. So why should Joe Public be worried?
    A VETERAN Fine Gael councillor detained by gardai on suspicion of drink driving said last night that he was "only a human being, who never said I was perfect".

Mr Hegarty -- who is an auctioneer by profession -- was also listed last month in Stubbs Gazette as owing €81,823 to the Revenue Commissioners.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/im-only-human-says-drink-drive-arrest-councillor-26897082.html
    A FINE GAEL Senator whose car was seized by gardai in Galway, has admitted to being "completely in the wrong" for failing to display a current tax disc.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/fg-senator-fidelma-healy-eames-admits-her-car-seized-for-no-tax-disc-26882732.html

Not forgetting this beauty, a bit dated but still relevant.
    THE disclosure by Fine Gael leader Michael Noonan that the party was forced to make a £111,000 tax settlement with the Revenue Commissioners was a last-minute panic decision, it can be revealed.

Mr Noonan has sought to claim credit for coming clean about Fine Gael's illegal under-the-counter cash payments to staff.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/fear-of-expos-forced-noonans-tax-admission-26248623.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

lol. the database? im tempted to phone them up with my details so they will have a name and address to put into it.:D

bgrizzley wrote: »
    lol. the database? im tempted to phone them up with my details so they will have a name and address to put into it.:D
    I think the database is of those who did pay the HHC, so the Revenue can work out who didn't.
    So if you got a letter from the Revenue about the LPT, but didn't register for the HHC, expect a further €200 LPT assessment from the Revenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

I think the database is of those who did pay the HHC, so the Revenue can work out who didn't.
    So if you got a letter from the Revenue about the LPT, but didn't register for the HHC, expect a further €200 LPT assessment from the Revenue.

sadly, i got neither, but the bin awaits. As with the last one the best way to handle this tax is to completely ignore it.
    inb4 the sky will fall in.

Yes it IS amazing, especially when You proers also do a lot of presuming - something You seem to be adept at.

Again, the govt trolls presuming. And yet again, they can't get their information correct. It's only €130 up to April 30, May 1 it goes to€200. But of course You knew that dv...just trying to stir the pot again, eh?:cool:

Again, the govt trolls presuming. And yet again, they can't get their information correct. It's only €130 up to April 30, May 1 it goes to€200. But of course You knew that dv...just trying to stir the pot again, eh?:cool:

Your goverment troll told you wrong. Fairly close though.

https://www.householdcharge.ie/default.aspx

In terms of incentivising compliance with outstanding liabilities the new Local Property Tax legislation (Finance (Local Property Tax) Act 2012) has introduced changes to how late payments penalties are calculated. In line with these legislative provisions the €130 charge that applies from 1 January 2013 will now remain capped at this level through to the end of April 2013. For May and June the charge will increase to €144 and €145 respectively. It should be noted that from 1 July 2013, any outstanding Household Charge will be increased to €200 and added to the Local Property Tax due on the property. In effect, the arrears of the Household Charge will be converted into LPT and collected through the LPT system. The Revenue Commissioners will pursue this additional liability when the LPT system is fully operational. Interest and penalties under the LPT system will apply to the additional €200.

Only a few weeks left to save €70. You heard it here first countless times.

Here - have one of these: (:o)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

I just checked my facebook news feed-this post came up on the protests around ireland page-alan shatters home was picketed yesterday by some protesters-in my view its just a pity more groups dont use their method of protesting at the moment.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=170025643157090&set=vb.100004489661187&type=2&theater

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement