Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Justice Minster Alan Shatter opinions on the man

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

What really sealed his entry into the league of cnuts for me was the remarks he made about the walkout.

Implying his wife would have been mistreated or disrespected by four men quietly leaving a room in a protest that went unnoticed in the room and only realised afterwards!

Childish and stupid, from someone so educated and experienced

not to mention insulting.

How does this help matters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

Your post seems very angry. Has Alan personally slighted you in some way?

But to answer your question.

You don't run one of the finest legal practices in the country by being a thicko. He is widely regarded as the best Family Lawyer in the country. He practically wrote the guide to family law (Family Law in the Republic of Ireland). He has penned more pieces of legislation than any other Irish politician, ever.

He's also been an important social reformer. He was a major campaigner involved in the lifting of the ban on contraception (I'll be thankful of that circa 3am tonight :) ). His firm was the first one to successfully bring an action against the church for an abused altarboy to receive compensation. Also an advocate for women's rights, he was successful in taking a case to end the discriminatory social welfare system for married women. He was the chairman of CARE (Campaign for Deprived Children), he was also chairman of the free legal aid centre in Crumlin.

I first remember him from the Gay Byrne show where he used to weekly take calls from the public and give them free legal advice. Basically, he's an all round good dude, who because of his background of wealth and success (and dare I say it, religion?) is viewed as being arrogant.

He's currently not flavour of the month, as he is taking on the emotive area of reducing garda pay and allowances. Its an impossible task. He has to find the money from somewhere, and there is no easy way of reducing people's pay without coming out the other end as a total douchebag. But fwiw, I think he's doing well.

Not laughing and joking about it would be a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

What really sealed his entry into the league of cnuts for me was the remarks he made about the walkout.

Implying his wife would have been mistreated or disrespected by four men quietly leaving a room in a protest that went unnoticed in the room and only realised afterwards!

Childish and stupid, from someone so educated and experienced

not to mention insulting.

How does this help matters?

Yes. He seems to be actually enjoying rubbing the Garda up the wrong way. It's as f he's on some type of revenge crusade, going out of his way to do so.
    No love lost i'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭strongback

You don't run one of the finest legal practices in the country by being a thicko. He is widely regarded as the best Family Lawyer in the country. He practically wrote the guide to family law (Family Law in the Republic of Ireland). He has penned more pieces of legislation than any other Irish politician, ever.

He's also been an important social reformer. He was a major campaigner involved in the lifting of the ban on contraception (I'll be thankful of that circa 3am tonight :) ). His firm was the first one to successfully bring an action against the church for an abused altarboy to receive compensation. Also an advocate for women's rights, he was successful in taking a case to end the discriminatory social welfare system for married women. He was the chairman of CARE (Campaign for Deprived Children), he was also chairman of the free legal aid centre in Crumlin.

I first remember him from the Gay Byrne show where he used to weekly take calls from the public and give them free legal advice. Basically, he's an all round good dude, who because of his background of wealth and success (and dare I say it, religion?) is viewed as being arrogant.

He's currently not flavour of the month, as he is taking on the emotive area of reducing garda pay and allowances. Its an impossible task. He has to find the money from somewhere, and there is no easy way of reducing people's pay without coming out the other end as a total douchebag. But fwiw, I think he's doing well.

I'm not angry I just don't see Shatter as "immensely intelligent".

With regards the solicitors practice was it not largely run by Shatters partner with Shatter being a career politician.

Divorce lawyers are about one step up from ambulance chasers when it comes to morality, ask anybody who has been through a divorce. Stirring up problems in a divorce or separation is money for old rope.

With the money he earned as a robber baron and solicitor he could afford to "give a bit back" to keep him in his Dail seat.

I don't really care that much about Shatter as he is no different than the majority of ministers this country has had. I do take a bit of an exception at him being described as "immensely intelligent".

He is also too close to Jewish issues to be making statements on behalf of the country in this regard. I remember when Clare Short became too vocal about Northern Ireland and her being taken aside by Tony Blair and muzzled on the issue, her family being from Crossmaglen made it too personal an issue for her to be commenting on.

Remember this man of "immense intelligence" penned the novel:

"Laura: A Novel You Will Never Forget”

What bugs me is the party political hacks. It's not possible to give an opinion without the thread getting hijacked by some political party goon.

You posted about Shatter in a very positive light and I posted in a negative way to counteract that. The real Shatter probably lies somewhere in the middle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

Shatter is in a psition where its impossible to make friends......espically because soom feel the guards should be wrapped in cotton wool and get paid 155million euros per minute because ireland is as dangerous as mexico

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

mikom wrote: »
    Can you smell the hypocrisy......

From the "Has Luke Flanagan's Dail Speech ensured his re-election" thread.

You said it, bub....

I see your attempt to point out that poster's blatant duplicity has not been addressed by him. How very predictable!

Some tools here feigning outrage over the harsh words being said about Shatter. They'll be in another thread engaging in the same kind of vitriolic attacks themselves tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

sfwcork wrote: »
    guards should be wrapped in cotton wool and get paid 155million euros per minute because ireland is as dangerous as mexico

And we'll often hear 'the Guards are out there putting their lives on the line every day for us' sound-bite as if they weren't getting quite well paid and are doing the job in one of the world's safest countries.

Do the guards have a tough job? Undoubtedly. Do they put their lives on the line every day? No more than a fisherman, scaffolder, farmer, deep sea diver etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

And we'll often hear 'the Guards are out there putting their lives on the line every day for us' sound-bite as if they weren't getting quite well paid and are doing the job in one of the world's safest countries.

Do the guards have a tough job? Undoubtedly. Do they put their lives on the line every day? No more than a fisherman, scaffolder, farmer, deep sea diver etc.

I'm not a guard, but give you a few hours having to confront and aggravate some of the biggest scumbags going and we'll see if you still feel the same.

The kind of people who slag off the Gardaí like this are generally the same people who put the earphones in, head down and pray to high heaven that the people the Gardaí have to deal with every working day of their lives don't say anything to them.

But yeah, catching fish is hard too...

leggo wrote: »
    I'm not a guard, but give you a few hours having to confront and aggravate some of the biggest scumbags going and we'll see if you still feel the same.

The kind of people who slag off the Gardaí like this are generally the same people who put the earphones in, head down and pray to high heaven that the people the Gardaí have to deal with every working day of their lives don't say anything to them.

That's nice.

Any particular point you'd like to make about what I posted?

I've already illustrated that there is a vast gap between the daily requirements of a Garda and a fisherman...and how people are easy to criticise but don't actually understand what they're criticising. And how they're not as quick to engage in the kind of jobs they so quickly dismiss...

...while quoting your post. What aren't you understanding here?

• Advertisement

What aren't you understanding here?

You took what I wrote and then went on a spiel that had no relevance to it. If there's anything factually incorrect about what I've written refute it.

Considering your post was entirely opinion, asking me to refute 'facts' is absolutely pointless.

But now that you mention it, apprehending a dangerous drug addict would almost definitely be more hazardous to your health than milking a cow. I don't think even farmers would describe what they do as 'life threatening'. Sure there are health hazards, but most jobs have health hazards. That doesn't make them 'dangerous jobs'. What a ridiculous opinion, completely devoid of any factual basis with which one could even begin to refute, to hold. You clearly have very little understanding of what you're criticising.

Is my post becoming clearer now or need I spell it out for you a third time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Family Law is nothing to be proud of in this country so I don't see how that is a plus for Shatter. Cases are held in camera so no prescent law is made. And unmarried fathers rights are almost non-existent other than they are expected to contribute maintenance IF the mother names him on the birth cert. [PHP][/PHP]

Considering your post was entirely opinion, asking me to refute 'facts' is absolutely pointless.

Ireland consistently places in the top 10 safest countries in the world. Fact.

Click on any number of these results from a search and you'll find Ireland in the top 10 safest countries routinely.

Policing is not a particularly life-threatening job (fact) so the 'putting their lives on the line every day' claim is spurious. It's self-evident that if people were putting their lives on the line every day there'd be a lot more fatalities.
    Most dangerous jobs

1. Fishermen
    2. Merchant seafarers
    3. Aircraft flight deck officers
    4. Railway lengthmen
    5. Scaffolders
    6. Roofers and glaziers
    7. Forestry workers
    8. Quarry and other mine workers
    9. Dockers and stevedores
    10. Lorry drivers

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2195847.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I see your attempt to point out that poster's blatant duplicity has not been addressed by him. How very predictable!

Some tools here feigning outrage over the harsh words being said about Shatter. They'll be in another thread engaging in the same kind of vitriolic attacks themselves tomorrow.

To quote the "tools".......... "that's disgusting".

Click on any number of these results from a search and you'll find Ireland in the top 10 safest countries routinely.

Policing is not a particularly life-threatening job (fact) so the 'putting their lives on the line every day' claim is spurious. It's self-evident that if people were putting their lives on the line every day there'd be a lot more fatalities.
    How many were killed deliberately?

...and why do you think Ireland is one of the Top 10 safest places in the world? You seem to be using a job well done by the Gardaí as validation for dismissing the difficulty level of their job.

Never mind the fact that danger is not the only reason that being a Garda is difficult: you are **** on by the state, **** on by your bosses, then **** on every day by the people you are forced to deal with. It is a thankless job and one that has traditionally drove those within it in this country to drink.

It's that lack of core understanding of the position that's undermining your argument. And no matter how much Deadliest Catch you watch or how many 11-year old surveys you can Google is helping your case.

(Never mind the fact that you are bringing up private enterprise in a discussion about public wages being cut...)

I would agree with the suggestion that being a Garda is a tough job as they deal with some nasty individuals and take a fair bit of abuse. There are also the anti social hours and the stress of being on the front line.

On the other hand the Gardai could do with spending a bit of time in charm school, when it comes to dealing with people they fall well short of the Bobby in England in that respect.

There's also a saying, in the country anyway: "Did you ever see a poor Garda?" It has traditionally been a position of power and influence. Some of the kudos and extra curricular opportunities may also have been curtailed in recent times.

Garda basic pay was never that great and it was the allowances and overtime that they relied on. In saying that cutting the pay is one thing but cutting the numbers does not make sense to me. Has there been a decision made to ignore gangland crime altogether?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

strongback wrote: »

On the other hand the Gardai could do with spending a bit of time in charm school, when it comes to dealing with people they fall well short of the Bobby in England in that respect.

Some of our gardai are very charming and not all bobbies are charming unless you know all of them personally.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

mikom wrote: »
    To quote the "tools".......... "that's disgusting".

Why always with the personal insults? It weakens your arguments.

• Advertisement

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Family Law is nothing to be proud of in this country so I don't see how that is a plus for Shatter. Cases are held in camera so no prescent law is made. And unmarried fathers rights are almost non-existent other than they are expected to contribute maintenance IF the mother names him on the birth cert. [PHP][/PHP]

Valid points.

However shatters influence on family law has been positive and reforming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Why always with the personal insults? It weakens your arguments.

And yet you have no problem labelling those who aren't happy with Shatter as angry, begrudging and of inferior intelligence. You appear to have a healthy dose of arrogance yourself.

Valid points.

However shatters influence on family law has been positive and reforming.

What if you happen to be a solicitor?

I said it a few pages back........... solicitors don't make legislation that takes work away from the legal profession.

And yet you have no problem labelling those who aren't happy with Shatter as angry, begrudging and of inferior intelligence. You appear to have a healthy dose of arrogance yourself.

I am not arrogant??!! Far from it!

Despite being very intelligent, highly qualified (MBA from thd London School of Economics) and from a family of wealth, rather than to take up one of the many employment opportunities I was offered, I chose to devote my time to charitable work in Guatemala. So I can't be accused of arrogance.

HondaSami wrote: »
    Some of our gardai are very charming and not all bobbies are charming unless you know all of them personally.

From the evidence I've seen on the ground there is no comparison between how the Bobby's and Gardai act in relation to dealing with the public. I've done my stint in the UK.

The Gard's policy was always to put the biggest ugliest sh1t kickers out on the front line to intimate people and crack heads. I have to laugh when I go to football matches and I see garda controlling the crowds with big scowls on their faces.

It kills me to say it but I remember being at Bill Clinton's public address in Belfast 15 years ago and being struck with how civilly the RUC went about their business of controlling a crowd in a potentially volatile situation. Obviously getting lifted off the street on the Fall's Rd by the RUC and ending up in Castlereagh might be a completely different experience though.

Despite being very intelligent, highly qualified (MBA from thd London School of Economics) and from a family of wealth, rather than to take up one of the many employment opportunities I was offered, I chose to devote my time to charitable work in Guatemala. So I can't be accused of arrogance.

Maybe during your high standard of education they didn't explain what the word arrogant means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

That's great. But you seem unable to accept that equally intelligent people might sometimes disagree with you. It was very arrogant to dismiss other's opinions as nothing but begudgery and an inferiority complex.

strongback wrote: »
    Maybe during your high standard of education they didn't explain what the word arrogant means.

Or the word "modest".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

The usual petty, nasty and sneering Irish begrudgery masked as social justice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Well in fairness I will admit I did not get educated in different languages.

However I can think on the spot I copied and pasted that Hebrew text below your name and put it into Google and this was one of the first images that came back.
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_6suDEPrHcSE/TCh4_7VIVCI/AAAAAAAAAVU/lv-wXGtgOlo/s1600/%D7%93%D7%91%D7%99%D7%A8+%D7%99%D7%94%D7%95%D7%93%D7%94+%D7%94%D7%9E%D7%9B%D7%91%D7%99.jpg
    I wont even ask you about the image next to your name.:rolleyes:

Edit what does that text say anyway?

יהודה המכב

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement