Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Justice Minster Alan Shatter opinions on the man

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Is he sneering though? Maybe people are a little over sensitive. In his defence I think he tells the truth, and avoids spin.

Impression is everything I suppose. He seems to me to be sneering.
    I heard him being interviewed regarding the Garda dispute and he even brought his wife into the mix in what seemed to me as an attempt to make 4 Garda walking out of a conference as an affront to her as well as him.
    It was later explained by someone else that Minister's wives never attend anyway.
    I honestly do think he has a sneering nature about him.
    How can he turn an entire Garda force against him?

His comments on several issues gave me the impression he was sneering or making little of the event, like the killing of the Turks on the relief ship. He stated that they had no business there. Yet we have sent relief to other war-torn regions and he backed that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

How can he turn an entire Garda force against him?

Very easy to do. Cut their numerous allowances, and you'll find out very quickly how nasty the GRA and AGSI spin doctors can be.

His comments on several issues gave me the impression he was sneering or making little of the event, like the killing of the Turks on the relief ship. He stated that they had no business there. Yet we have sent relief to other war-torn regions and he backed that.

Do you know what the biggest killer in Gaza is at the moment??

Its obesity and heart disease. People go on about it as if they were starving there. They are one of the most overweight nations in the world. The flotilla was an attempt the breach a naval blockade and to make a political point.

They had no business being there.

Very easy to do. Cut their numerous allowances, and you'll find out very quickly how nasty the GRA and AGSI spin doctors can be.

Its obesity and heart disease. People go on about it as if they were starving there. They are one of the most overweight nations in the world. The flotilla was an attempt the breach a naval blockade and to make a political point.

They had no business being there.

So they were shot in an attempt to prevent Palestinians from becoming fat.
    #You couldn't make it up :pac:

What about the legality of that naval blockade?

So they were shot in an attempt to prevent Palestinians from becoming fat.
    #You couldn't make it up :pac:

That's not what I said. But feel free to misrepresent me if it makes it easier for you.

That's not what I said. But feel free to misrepresent me if it makes it easier for you.

So why bring obesity into the argument at all then?
    Were these poor people not denied medicine and had to dig tunnels to get life-saving supplies into Palestine, or is that just makey-uppy too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

A bulldog, the Barristers hate the fact that he represents as council in the High Court (which your're perfectly entitled to do as a solicitor.) He's a troll. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Its obesity and heart disease. People go on about it as if they were starving there. They are one of the most overweight nations in the world.

http://apps.who.int/gb/ebwha/pdf_files/WHA65/A65_27Rev1-en.pdf

A few points from that
    • 70% of people in Gaza face food insecurity.
    • Restrictions on the importation of medical equipment means that people often go without proper treatment.
    • Restrictions on the movement of staff & patients make it difficult for people to avail of adequate treatment.
    • Israel retains control of all underground and surface water resources.
    • Settlers often vandalize Palestinian water infrastructure, contaminating wells and springs as well as destroying infrastructure and livelihoods.

It's incredibly disingenuous to make comment about causes of deaths without bringing context into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭TOMs WIFE

Shatter lost touch with reality that citizens want to feel safe in rural areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

TOMs WIFE wrote: »
    Shatter lost touch with reality that citizens want to feel safe in rural areas.

Everyone wants to feel safe, and Ireland remains a remarkably safe country in which to live. 62% of the population live in urban areas; areas that take up only 2.4% of the landmass of the country.

These population density trends, modern technologies and the small matter of having to make difficult decisions to cut that €12 billion deficit means that rural police stations had to close. As more people move to urban centres then decisions like this will continue to be made across education, health and justice.

Society changes, and the focus of government spending needs to change to reflect this. Even if we could continue to borrow money to fund such extravagances wouldn't make it a good idea.

Unless you'd be in favour of raising taxes to keep them open. Or cutting some other area. What would they be? And please don't give the boilerplate AH response of cutting politicians salaries. That will save sweet FA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

Sergeant wrote: »
    Everyone wants to feel safe, and Ireland remains a remarkably safe country in which to live. 62% of the population live in urban areas; areas that take up only 2.4% of the landmass of the country.

These population density trends, modern technologies and the small matter of having to make difficult decisions to cut that €12 billion deficit means that rural police stations had to close. As more people move to urban centres then decisions like this will continue to be made across education, health and justice.

Society changes, and the focus of government spending needs to change to reflect this. Even if we could continue to borrow money to fund such extravagances wouldn't make it a good idea.

Unless you'd be in favour of raising taxes to keep them open. Or cutting some other area. What would they be? And please don't give the boilerplate AH response of cutting politicians salaries. That will save sweet FA.

It's well known that shatter is not popular in his own party and its being said publically by Fine Gael td's not to mention labour TD'S, the problem is that Enda Kenny has little options in replacing him given the quality of TD's in this government

• Advertisement

It's well known that shatter is not popular in his own party and its being said publically by Fine Gael td's not to mention labour TD'S, the problem is that Enda Kenny has little options in replacing him given the quality of TD's in this government

So choosing a Minister for Justice and Defence should be a popularity contest?

Its not the prom King that they're electing.

Heard a report that FG are looking for a Junior Minister to be appointed to the post of dealing with Garda issues.
    It looks like many of his own see the difficulties with Shatter.

Have you any proof to back up a single thing said here?

That he isn't popular? FG is a large party, and I'm sure he's not flavour of the month with all of them.

Publicly said? I must have missed this.

It's the largest Government in the history of the State. Shatter is just the most suitable Minister of Justice. His knowledge and input into legislation over his many years of the Dáil is testament to this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 397 ✭✭Blahblah2012

Have you any proof to back up a single thing said here?

That he isn't popular? FG is a large party, and I'm sure he's not flavour of the month with all of them.

Publicly said? I must have missed this.

It's the largest Government in the history of the State. Shatter is just the most suitable Minister of Justice. His knowledge and input into legislation over his many years of the Dáil is testament to this.

Jeez..this site is riddled with pro government brainwashers and spin doctors. They're doing a fantastic job..of course.

Put up..shut up...and pay up!!!!!

Sad thing is he's probably the best of a bad lot!

Sad thing is he's probably the best of a bad lot!

Jeez..this site is riddled with pro government brainwashers and spin doctors. They're doing a fantastic job..of course.

More personal abuse. Perhaps you'd like to post on some of the points I've raised, as opposed to replying on hyperbole (riddled, brainwashers, spin doctors)?

How do we cut that €12 billion deficit, and how can Alan Shatter avoid having to make cuts, without that having ramifications for other areas such as education and health?

Or y'know, people with a grasp on reality who understand that we can't continue to borrow vast sums of money to pay our public servants.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

HondaSami wrote: »
    Don't worry about it OP he will soon be shifted/transferred to some other department.

I sincerely hope so as the man is single handedly destroying the Gardai in this country. He is arrogant beyond belief and is now acting like a petulant child with no regard to the damage he is doing.

CJC999 wrote: »
    I sincerely hope so as the man is single handedly destroying the Gardai in this country. He is arrogant beyond belief and is now acting like a petulant child with no regard to the damage he is doing.

How is he destroying them? Any examples? It's such an emotive word. Instead of cutting their pay and bringing about long-needed efficiencies to their working conditions what are the alternatives? Fire out a few there. I'm all ears.

• Advertisement

Or y'know, people with a grasp on reality who understand that we can't continue to borrow vast sums of money to pay our public servants.

It's the quality of the cabinet and government that's hard to stomach , they have no balls or imagination and are just puppets for the troika, they go from one cock up to another, they bemoaned the lack of spending during the Celtic tiger times in opposition and then Kenny states in Europe that we all went mad, guess who was helping drive it! Less of the lectures from Fine Gael sympathisers!

More personal abuse. Perhaps you'd like to post on some of the points I've raised, as opposed to replying on hyperbole (riddled, brainwashers, spin doctors)?

How do we cut that €12 billion deficit, and how can Alan Shatter avoid having to make cuts, without that having ramifications for other areas such as education and health?

Nothing personal. Was general. No exaggeration at all. Is clear as day to those who think for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭razorgil

Or y'know, people with a grasp on reality who understand that we can't continue to borrow vast sums of money to pay our public servants.[/QUOTE]

that's not the point. all govt. depts. are trying to save money/ cut spending. you don't see the rest of the govt. acting like complete prícks whilst doing so though. shatter's arrogance, and contempt for dialogue, separate him from his colleagues. enda should cull him before he takes over the asylum

To be fair..I would include yourself as one of the people i was talking about in my previous post.

Nothing personal. Was general. No exaggeration at all. Is clear as day to those who think for themselves.

Yeah duuuuude, you're a real freethinker. Not boxed in like the squares here defending the government.

Any ideas on how to plug the 12Bn a year deficit? Nothing detailed now, just some broad brush answers.

You wouldn't mind posting them would you?

I do some of that thinking stuff from time-to-time, but I've yet to think up of a suitable alternative as to how that massive hole in the public finances gets cut.

As someone who thinks for themselves I'm sure you have a few suggestions.

Yeah duuuuude, you're a real freethinker. Not boxed in like the squares here defending the government.

Any ideas on how to plug the 12Bn a year deficit? Nothing detailed now, just some broad brush answers.

Duuuude? U stoned or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Cut politicians and bankers pay ;)

And only politicians and bankers of course, that should do it.

You wouldn't mind posting them would you?

I do some of that thinking stuff from time-to-time, but I've yet to think up of a suitable alternative as to how that massive hole in the public finances gets cut.

As someone who thinks for themselves I'm sure you have a few suggestions.

Don't think too much now. It wouldn't suit your line.

• Advertisement

omahaid wrote: »
    Cut politicians and bankers pay ;)

And only politicians and bankers of course, that should do it.

We'll be out of this mess by Christmas! Why didn't we think of it before!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement