Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Justice Minster Alan Shatter opinions on the man

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭strongback

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Lol.

You could always debate with the guy, put your own point of view across.

I tried that when he asked for solutions but he didn't respond as my post did not directly use the the words Fine Gael. I seemed to have bypassed his Fine Gael search engine.

Youth unemployment and bad debt are costing us a large chunk of the €12 Bn and will continue to do so unless action is taken.

It's defeatist to say we can't influence our own destiny and the only options we have is to derelict the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

FYP.

Yes but particularly a Jewish one.
    I remember his comments on the murders of the Turks on the relief ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭John Mongo

I wonder how he felt about the U.S. using Shannon for taking through their rendition hostages?
    Could anyone see Shatter as Minister for Justice taking the U.S. to task?

Well, the Government would first have to disagree with what the US are doing for him to say anything.

Considering we have troops serving with ISAF, I can't imagine they disagree with them at all.

At 62 y.o. will Shatter retire with this government?

Surely he will have written all the legislation he needs to by then.

I'll be telling my son to study law. The solicitors will have their way for at least the next 30 years by the time Shatter is finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Sergeant wrote: »
    Disgusting comment.

It was a sarcastic comment, hence the :rolleyes: smiley. How you can call this a disgusting comment when there are people on here baiting on the fact that Shatter is a Jew.

Did his wife stay off the road when she was found guilty of drunk driving or was her ban reduced? Do you know the answer to this question?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

See, this is the problem. Now we have to speculate on his support for extraordinary rendition, Israel, US foreign policy, 1916 rising, the Chicxulub extinction event and whether Jews were involved, whether carrots should be in spaghetti bolognese or not etc.

Am oot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

What do you mean, particularly as a Jewish one?

What the fcuk has being Jewish got to do with his opinions on US foreign policy?

What the fcuk has being Jewish got to do with his opinions on US foreign policy?

Everything.
    Don't the Jews run U.S. politics.

http://www.ihr.org/leaflets/jewishlobby.shtml

Everything.
    Don't the Jews run U.S. politics.

Last time I checked Barrack Obama was a Christian.

Not to mention the fact that someone being Jewish doesn't lend themselves to being part of some hardcore neo-con hive mind.

Some of the most ardent critics of US foreign policy are Jews. Noam Chomsky springs to mind. He's speaking in Ireland next week, maybe you can ask him why he's not singing off the same Piyyutim as the rest of the Jews.

Of course being jewish has an effect on his own personal opinion in relation to foreign policy surrounding Israel and the middle east, same as a devout catholic justice minister being affected by the church or a prodestant one being affected by issues regarding the six counties.

• Advertisement

Last time I checked Barrack Obama was a Christian.

Not to mention the fact that someone being Jewish doesn't lend themselves to being part of some hardcore neo-con hive mind.

Some of the most ardent critics of US foreign policy are Jews. Noam Chomsky springs to mind. He's speaking in Ireland next week, maybe you can ask him why he's not singing off the same Piyyutim as the rest of the Jews.

How come the U.S. never takes Israel to task over the breaking of U.N. Sanctions then?

That's a disgusting website, and your linking to it reveals a lot about your character and motivations.

Anyway, getting away from the fact that he is Jewish,

He is a complete arrogant cnut, end of, possibly, who appears, according to this thread, giving Jews a bad name.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

Lads, its Mr Shatter himself who regularly brings up his religion and his support for Israel. If he didn't continuously mention it, most Irish people would not be aware of his background.

That's a disgusting website, and your linking to it reveals a lot about your character and motivations.

It is the first on the list I googled. (but continue to try and deflect)

Her is another

http://www.biblebelievers.org.au/ij_ch8.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

John Mongo wrote: »
    Massively cut from where in the DF exactly?

The Defence Budget for this year is 656 million, with another 35 million to be taken from the Defence Budget this year once CPA2 comes into play, so we'll call it 631 million, which has to cover everything from Defence procurement to soldiers pay.

In the past few years, on top of Budget reductions and obvious paycuts to serving soldiers, the organisation has reduced it's strength, closed a number of barracks, disbanded a number of Units, redeployed troops across the country to bring Units upto strength, implemented a complete re-org of the Defence Forces which included losing a full Brigade from the organisation. All of this came even after, while most of the Public Sector lost the run of itself during the boom years, the Defence Forces was continuing to cut numbers and encourage reform.

The DF met every target set for them, made the tough decisions and got on with it. Lads have literally been moved halfway across the country in a lot of cases, yet they got on with the job. The only upside seems to be that the Government has finally realised that there's not much more that the DF can give.

The idea that the DF should be "cut massively", while more money should be re-appropriated for the monster of inefficiency that is the HSE, is laughable.

Health is essential to every citizen of Ireland. We need a health service, even in the harshest of times. We don't need to send troops out on peacekeeping missions. The defence forces provide some essential tasks for the state (cash in transit protection, security in prisons etc) and should be funded adequately to do so. But only in a healthy economy should we, a neutral nation, lend our support to others by way of peacekeeping missions and the like. By the same rationale that you shouldn't buy a new car or keep Sky Movies if you can't pay the mortgage.

I'm not going to get into specifics since:

a) Neither you nor I have exact figures to hand of what's available, needs to be cut etc. So it's all just hypothetical and, thus, pointless. And,

b) This isn't what the topic is about. The pro-FG brigade asked for someone to post alternative theories as to how money could be cut instead of criticising, so I did. I knew someone would get pedantic and completely miss the point in doing so. The point of the post you quoted is that alternatives DO exist. I'm not a politician and whether the DF should or shouldn't be cut is another discussion for another day.

It is the first on the list I googled. (but continue to try and deflect)

Her is another

http://www.biblebelievers.org.au/ij_ch8.htm

"We greet you in the wonderful Name of our Lord Jesus Christ and welcome you to Bible Believers Website. Your fellowship is appreciated, we pray you will enjoy our services and recognize the present Truth—what Jesus is doing now......This Website serves those of like precious faith. Whosoever will receive the truth is welcome to feed his soul from the waters of the River of Life, proving all things personally in his own Bible. God is known by revelation, not debate"

Seems legit...

"We greet you in the wonderful Name of our Lord Jesus Christ and welcome you to Bible Believers Website. Your fellowship is appreciated, we pray you will enjoy our services and recognize the present Truth—what Jesus is doing now......This Website serves those of like precious faith. Whosoever will receive the truth is welcome to feed his soul from the waters of the River of Life, proving all things personally in his own Bible. God is known by revelation, not debate"

Seems legit...

Here's another
    http://thecasualtruth.com/story/unmatched-influence-american-jewish-lobby

I'm still missing what this has to do with Alan?

The fact that Jewish interest groups lobby the US govt (Like catholics, corn producers, pharma companies, gay rights and every other group you can think of), has sweet fcuk all to do with our minister as far as I can see. Unless you are trying to say that there is some international Jewish conspiracy that Alan Shatter is part of??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Yes I wonder who dragged the thread off topic?

What do you think of Alan Shatter and his attitude?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The fact that Jewish interest groups lobby the US govt (Like catholics, corn producers, pharma companies, gay rights and every other group you can think of), has sweet fcuk all to do with our minister as far as I can see. Unless you are trying to say that there is some international Jewish conspiracy that Alan Shatter is part of??
    No worries, it's just the usual anti-jewish conspiracy theorists out again.

Here's a poster they can (re) use
    http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/files/2009/11/Nazi_poster_Jew_Der_Sturmer_antisemitism_juutalaisvainot-bloodlibel_Wandering_Jew_propaganda_61.jpg

As a Jewish Minister for Justice he has shown that his sympathies lie with Israel especially in that incident where the Israelis killed the Turks on the relief boat even though he was not a Minister then.

He should not have commented on that at all in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

A Jewish person is under no obligation to comment on the state of Israel's actions.

Actually, if you refer to the comment where he fails to see the reason for the flotilla to Gaza - why send food to one of the most obese countries on the planet?

Dammit, now Im sucked in to one of these threads again.

Ranicand wrote: »
    Yes I wonder who dragged the thread off topic?

I have only brought up his religion in responses to others. I'd rather not discuss it, as I believe its a non-issue, but if people make vague leading statements about it, then I'll challenge them on it.
    What do you think of Alan Shatter and his attitude?

I believe I made it clear in my first post on this thread.

I think he is a fine politician. I think his track record in writing legislation speaks for itself. I believe him to be doing an excellent job in reforming the departments that he has taken charge of. I say this as someone directly affected by it. I admire his immense intelligence, work ethic and business acumen.

As for his attitude, I couldn't give a flying fook if people think him aloof, arrogant or supercilious. I have enough of the likes of Bertie who is 'a dowin ta eerth fella who loves nuttin more dan a pint of Bass and throwin' a few quid on da horses'. Give me competence over being a people person any day.

As a Jewish Minister for Justice he has shown that his sympathies lie with Israel especially in that incident where the Israelis killed the Turks on the relief boat even though he was not a Minister then.

He should not have commented on that at all in my view.

Presumably you're equally as critical of Eamon Gilmore who called for the Israeli ambassador to be withdrawn following the incident? Or every other shinner who actively lended support to terrorist organisations such as the PLO?

The man is a politician and is free to hold whatever opinion he wants, and is free to express them too. If people don't want to vote for him as a result, then fair enough, but he's not unique in being the first politician to express a view on an international incident. He seems to be the only one criticised for it though. Wonder why that is...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

biko wrote: »
    A Jewish person is under no obligation to comment on the state of Israel's actions.

I served a 3 week ban here for posting that Hollywood was Jewish controlled.

This is a fact that is 100% true and not in the realms of conspiracy.

I also said I don't like the content from Hollywood that is aimed at kids that promotes casual sex murder and drug use.

Now I posted this thread about Alan Shatter and my posts from a different thread have being quoted again and again on this thread.

The amount of baiting going on in this thread is shocking.

And as a moderator you might want to take a closer look at were the thread was dragged of topic with bating and offensive comments.

How about we try politicians who are intelligent and competent, even if they come across as arrogant and aloof to people less intelligent than them?

Presumably you're equally as critical of Eamon Gilmore who called for the Israeli ambassador to be withdrawn following the incident? Or every other shinner who actively lended support to terrorist organisations such as the PLO?

The man is a politician and is free to hold whatever opinion he wants, and is free to express them too. If people don't want to vote for him as a result, then fair enough, but he's not unique in being the first politician to express a view on an international incident. He seems to be the only one criticised for it though. Wonder why that is...?

Yes I am and if the "every other shinner" was aimed at me you are entirely wrong as I am not a shinner.

I believe that as a Jewish Minister for Justice he should refrain from commenting on any of the atrocities Israel is accused of because he has a closed mind. Was there not an occasion where he took an Israeli minister to the Dail and was accused of spouting propaganda. He should stay away from that and represent the views of our Government, not his own, in situations like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Ranicand wrote: »
    I served a 3 week ban here for posting that Hollywood was Jewish controlled.

This is a fact that is 100% true and not in the realms of conspiracy.

you mean controlled by people who happen to be of the jewish faith don't you?

i am a movie fan and i haven't noticed a religeous agenda in movies particularly

so fail to see your point

Shatter could be a Jedi for all i care on that subject but i doubt he could be less of a cnut!

Where has Alan Shatter demonstrated "immense intelligence"?

Shatter went to Trinity and the law society so that makes him a genius. Did he score top of his year or win any honours?

Where has he demonstrated "immense intelligence"?

He speaks with the right accent and looks down on the plebs. Other than that he looks like a run of the mill minister.

Cute as a fox he may be but I have seen nothing that suggests he is of "immense intelligence".

• Advertisement

strongback wrote: »
    Where has Alan Shatter demonstrated "immense intelligence"?

Shatter went to Trinity and the law society so that makes him a genius. Did he score top of his year or win any honours?

Where has he demonstrated "immense intelligence"?

He speaks with the right accent and looks down on the plebs. Other than that he looks like a run of the mill minister.

Cute as a fox he may be but I have seen nothing that suggests he is of "immense intelligence".

Your post seems very angry. Has Alan personally slighted you in some way?

But to answer your question.

You don't run one of the finest legal practices in the country by being a thicko. He is widely regarded as the best Family Lawyer in the country. He practically wrote the guide to family law (Family Law in the Republic of Ireland). He has penned more pieces of legislation than any other Irish politician, ever.

He's also been an important social reformer. He was a major campaigner involved in the lifting of the ban on contraception (I'll be thankful of that circa 3am tonight :) ). His firm was the first one to successfully bring an action against the church for an abused altarboy to receive compensation. Also an advocate for women's rights, he was successful in taking a case to end the discriminatory social welfare system for married women. He was the chairman of CARE (Campaign for Deprived Children), he was also chairman of the free legal aid centre in Crumlin.

I first remember him from the Gay Byrne show where he used to weekly take calls from the public and give them free legal advice. Basically, he's an all round good dude, who because of his background of wealth and success (and dare I say it, religion?) is viewed as being arrogant.

He's currently not flavour of the month, as he is taking on the emotive area of reducing garda pay and allowances. Its an impossible task. He has to find the money from somewhere, and there is no easy way of reducing people's pay without coming out the other end as a total douchebag. But fwiw, I think he's doing well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement