Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Justice Minster Alan Shatter opinions on the man

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Yes but Fianna Fail seem to be delighted with him.

..which is a bit much, considering that McDowell eejit they let in there. And P Flynn. P Flynn, for fecks sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Yes but Fianna Fail seem to be delighted with him.

Course they are, he's unpopular. Judging by the polls we'll have FF back soon. We'll be getting on the property ladder again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

He's doing something, he's getting a lot of negative press over it and he's not backing down. It's refreshing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

leggo wrote: »
    Totally irrelevant, to the point that I feel you should declare any conflict of interest here because you're pushing the exact FG party line by claiming that as a victory for party policies.

It was a clear sympathy vote for a by-election caused by tragic, extraordinary circumstances...which had a shocking voter turnout. It was, in nobody's language, a 'pat on the back' for FG. It was a shrewd political move by them to maintain their seat, that's the best I can say.

Explain the opinion polls then?

Totally irrelevant, to the point that I feel you should declare any conflict of interest here because you're pushing the exact FG party line by claiming that as a victory for party policies.

It was a clear sympathy vote for a by-election caused by tragic, extraordinary circumstances...which had a shocking voter turnout. It was, in nobody's language, a 'pat on the back' for FG. It was a shrewd political move by them to maintain their seat, that's the best I can say.

I have no relative, friend or acquaintance in any way part of the FG party, nor am I btw. Is there anything else you would like me to declare? Feel free to examine my posting history.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 10 cloudybins

humbert wrote: »
    He's doing something, he's getting a lot of negative press over it and he's not backing down. It's refreshing.
    Kudos to you sir. takes a brave man to stand against the mob.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Sergeant wrote: »

The fact that the party who has committed the biggest financial atrocity in the history of the state is creeping up on a government with a MASSIVE majority just a couple of years removed from said disaster? FF's comeback in the opinion polls speaks volume of the public mistrust for FG and Labour. Labour are just an easy fall guy for now. If FG were doing the bang-up job you seem to think they are, they'd pick up the Labour votes and have a massive lead. And I'm not even anti-FG, just saying what I see.

If anything, I'd say the story the opinion polls tell us is that the public is really, really stuck for options right now.

It was a clear sympathy vote for a by-election caused by tragic, extraordinary circumstances...which had a shocking voter turnout. It was, in nobody's language, a 'pat on the back' for FG. It was a shrewd political move by them to maintain their seat, that's the best I can say. Fianna Fáil, shockingly, were the true political victors of that by-election and Labour were the clear losers (there's your punishment for government policy; Labour was the fall guy). Fine Gael just pulled a fast one by entering Helen as the candidate.

And, I wouldn't have voted for a FG candidate and I definitely wouldn't have voted for a "dynasty" candidate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

omahaid wrote: »
    I had a quick look, deluded is the word the several online thesauri returned.

If you want to prostrate yourself before Shatter and glorify his intelligence as superior to your own then go right ahead. I have no intention of so I'll thank you not to bother attributing incorrect descriptions to me when you have no clue about me.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The poor turnout is a direct symptom of the politics we are getting in Ireland.
    Even with the unfortunate death of her father FG barely scraped the seat and the vast majority of the population stayed at home. I expected a landslide win.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

Any examples of what he is doing wrong? We live in one of the safest countries in the world. We do not have a crime epidemic, or any other sensationalist gibberish used to sell papers or TV3 shows.

This is all down to Alan Shatter is it? He had dealt with the situation in AGS badly, he comes across as a bully, he has to be right maybe he needs to choose his words more carefully.

The fact that the party who has committed the biggest financial atrocity in the history of the state is creeping up on a government with a MASSIVE majority just a couple of years removed from said disaster? FF's comeback in the opinion polls speaks volume of the public mistrust for FG and Labour.

If anything, I'd say the story the opinion polls tell us is that the public is really, really stuck for options right now.

What are the options? How would they restore the country to the level we expect without having to raise taxes or cutting service?

Ming Flanagan and Mick Wallace? A couple of layabouts sitting up in the peripheries of the chamber spouting the type of gibberish that belongs in a fantasy novel. Refunding the property tax like SF are suggesting?

History will record this government as one of the finest we have had.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

HondaSami wrote: »
    This is all down to Alan Shatter is it? He had dealt with the situation in AGS badly, he comes across as a bully, he has to be right maybe he needs to choose his words more carefully.

That is like the teacher telling the school bully, don't do it in the yard, do it behind the shed.

Seriously they haven't much competition, do you not think it's us the people who are taking most of the pain?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Seriously they haven't much competition, do you not think it's us the people who are taking most of the pain?

Us the people taking the pain, as apposed to what? Let the horses take the pain?

Us the people taking the pain, as apposed to what? Let the horses take the pain?

You don't think politicians and bankers should take more pain? It's no wonder we take everything so calmly in this country, it's the reason this government have walked all over us and I fcuking voted for them. :(

What are the options? How would they restore the country to the level we expect without having to raise taxes or cutting service?

Ming Flanagan and Mick Wallace? A couple of layabouts sitting up in the peripheries of the chamber spouting the type of gibberish that belongs in a fantasy novel. Refunding the property tax like SF are suggesting?

We're getting off-topic now, as I've said I'm not even anti-FG/Labour, just correcting some party propaganda being spouted.

For the record, my view of this government is that it's well-intentioned, getting results in some areas (returning Ireland to the bond markets, slowly but surely lowering unemployment etc), massively failing in others (HEALTH) and careless/heavy-handed at times in how they go about their goals. They lack a grand vision, though, and seem to be just plugging holes instead of creating a sustainable future. Do I believe they'll bring us back to competence? Yes. Bringing prosperity and a future we can get behind to Ireland? That's above them.

They're kinda like a football side who do well to get promoted to the Premier League, then the manager is completely out of his depth once they get there. No they won't be anywhere near one of the finest governments this state has ever seen (that's hyperbolic to the point that I can only assume that Good Friday pints aren't treating you well :pac:), but they might be a suitable stopgap at best.

But we're talking about Alan Shatter here. And he falls very much into the careless/heavy-handed category for me.

If you want to prostrate yourself before Shatter and glorify his intelligence as superior to your own then go right ahead. I have no intention of so I'll thank you not to bother attributing incorrect descriptions to me when you have no clue about me.

Why is someone being incredibly sharp and competent seen as such a negative attribute? Its as if us Irish have some kind of inferiority complex where we immediately begrudge and are suspicious of intelligent successful people.

I am glad to have a minister with a track record for writing legislation and success in the private sector in government. It doesn't make me uncomfortable to say he's a more intelligent man than I.

Pure ******* delusion :D:D:D
    They looked after their own just like Fianna Fail did.

Why is someone being incredibly sharp and competent seen as such a negative attribute? Its as if us Irish have some kind of inferiority complex where we immediately begrudge and are suspicious of intelligent successful people.

I am glad to have a minister with a track record for writing legislation and success in the private sector in government. It doesn't make me uncomfortable to say he's a more intelligent man than I.

I don't think anyone could question his intelligence, it's his manner that's wrong. He does not come across as a people person.

• Advertisement

You don't think politicians and bankers should take more pain? It's no wonder we take everything so calmly in this country, it's the reason this government have walked all over us and I fcuking voted for them. :(

Can you remember what the first thing that this government did when it took power? It was to take a voluntary pay cut, and it reduced the pay of all politicians. Honestly, I don't think people will be happy until a minister earns the same as barber. They work in incredibly high pressure, important jobs. If we hope to attract high calibre candidates to the position (such as Shatter) then the pay has to reflect the gravitas of the job.

As for the bankers. Yes I would like to see the shysters who ran the banks as their own personal slush funds locked up and stripped of their assets. But I am also sensible enough to realise that this is not going to fix the economy. Its an unrelated issue.

Ya, why can't we have public services like we had 7 years ago. That whole selling houses to each other, cheap credit and FF-led governments buying elections by bloating up the public sector.

It must be the reason why social democrats like Shatter and Burton are putting aside their principles to implement changes that will eventually return this country to sustainability.

Lots of utter drivel being spouted here tonight by honchos who have all the questions and none of the answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Where did I say intelligence or competence is a negative attribute? I think they are valuable assets. I am neither begrudging nor suspicious of Shatter.

I think he is arrogant and condescending and I think he is not doing a good job. And contrary to your earlier assertion, thst doesn't mean I'm less intelligent than him, or jealous of him, or anything else other than unhappy with him as a minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭strongback

I don't post here much but would I be right in saying there are a few party political hacks on this board. The guy Sergeant seems to have the sole purposes of countering any post that might be seen as anti Fine Gael.

Seems pointless getting involved if that type of spam is the norm.

Can you remember what the first thing that this government did when it took power? It was to take a voluntary pay cut, and it reduced the pay of all politicians. Honestly, I don't think people will be happy until a minister earns the same as barber. They work in incredibly high pressure, important jobs. If we hope to attract high calibre candidates to the position (such as Shatter) then the pay has to reflect the gravitas of the job.

As for the bankers. Yes I would like to see the shysters who ran the banks as their own personal slush funds locked up and stripped of their assets. But I am also sensible enough to realise that this is not going to fix the economy. Its an unrelated issue.

Yes i remember but it was not enough, i don't expect them to work for nothing but they expect me to work for less and less and you to i assume, we have all had pay cuts.
    I think they could cut some of the expenses, coming out telling us to take the pain this time it's the last paycut we will ask from ye, where does it stop?
    Cutting sunday pay and allowances for AGS is not fair, it's a hard job with tough unsociable hours.

Ya, why can't we have public services like we had 7 years ago. That whole selling houses to each other, cheap credit and FF-led governments buying elections by bloating up the public sector.

It must be the reason why social democrats like Shatter and Burton are putting aside their principles to implement changes that will eventually return this country to sustainability.

Lots of utter drivel being spouted here tonight by honchos who have all the questions and none of the answers.

The saddest part is, we're destined for it again :(

People won't give this government credit for balancing the books, and getting the country back on track. They'll listen to FF and SF-lite and be taken in with promises of increases in social welfare, property tax refunds, and reduced taxes.

The cycle will continue.

People won't give this government credit for balancing the books, and getting the country back on track. They'll listen to FF and SF-lite and be taken in with promises of increases in social welfare, property tax refunds, and reduced taxes.

The cycle will continue.

Even more lies than the last time then :pac:

The cycle will continue.

What did FG promise us? They all make promises until they get elected and then they forget. I will say FG have had a tough time in government which is not their doing.

There will be no refunds and anyone that thinks there will is mad.

The cycle will continue.

If that happens, though, it's their own fault. We forget that Irish people still grumbled all throughout 'the good times', yet they still re-elected FF at every general election. That's what Irish voters do: we moan then maintain with the status quo as long as our actual day-to-day problems don't last longer than our moans.

If FG don't get re-elected, it'll be down to a combination of their efforts missing the mark and not being able to reflect the positive changes they have made in their campaign. Not, again, because the public are less intelligent than them. Though they may feel it's the latter. And that's why that arrogant attitude is damaging.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

The cycle will continue.

They are puppets for the troika, they have no balls and no imagination, they really tackled the RTE saleries for example but then again they need RTE on their side! Nothing but broken promises and the same ****! When the Celtic tiger was in full flight all they did in opposition was bemoan that enough was not being spent or tax breaks given. People like you have short memories!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement