Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Justice Minster Alan Shatter opinions on the man

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Shatter is alright, country needs cleaning up and he's coming up with solutions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

hawkelady wrote: »
    LOL... You make it sound as if we are living in North Korea !!!!!
    You saying we shouldn't speak our views about auld Alan???
    Alan is a plank. Tell me your thoughts on Alan ......
    I beginning to think that most of the cabinet lurks around here the way some people are going on!!! Defend FG at all costs...
    People have the right to their opinion you know.

LOL

Happy Easter!

Not for a moment am I comparing Ireland with North Korea, and of course you are right , this is a democracy, where we have a right to free speech.

I am not defending Fine Gael, I am simply suggesting that we show respect to The Minister, and put forward criticisms in a constructive way.

People unloading their bile here serves no purpose in trying to generate constructive dialogue.

PS . My thoughts about Minister Shatter, have already been posted this evening if you wish to scroll back.

Thank you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Shatter is alright, country needs cleaning up and he's coming up with solutions.

You make it sound like he is Knightrider or something. A lone wolf, working on his own, to free Ireland from......ITSELF.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

omahaid wrote: »
    I think Shatter is going a fair job considering how unpopular it is. John O Donoghue never recieved as much vitriol as Shatter and Shatter seems to be reasonably honest in comparison.

O'Donughue got loads of vitriol, as did many FF politicians throughout the country, as Martin still gets and rightly so.

I read a Gerald Seymour book about Sobibor just over the last week. Beautifully written, so evocative and atypical.

Compare and contrast with the current situation. The exception has become the norm.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Augmerson wrote: »
    You make it sound like he is Knightrider or something. A lone wolf, working on his own, to free Ireland from......ITSELF.

To be fair that may be your opinnion, to which your are entitled. However it is not what the Poster said nor implied

• Advertisement

Augmerson wrote: »

Not at all

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

To be fair that may be your opinnion, to which your are entitled. However it is not what the Poster said nor implied

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/012/132/thatsthejoke.jpg

I'll get my coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭strongback

The Fine Gael hacks coming out of the woodwork are ridiculous in this thread. It's almost like low budget mind control.

strongback wrote: »
    The Fine Gael hacks coming out of the woodwork are ridiculous in this thread. It's almost like low budget mind control.

Have you managed to identify any Fine Gael hacks?

Perhaps you can advise please?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Yeh, not blindly slating the man = FG voter for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭stretchdoe

Madam_X wrote: »

Not blindly supporting the man = anti anything our government could possibly do/anti-semetic/jealous of his success and amazing intellect/malcontent/whatever else can be thrown at people deigning to criticise him on this thread.

Works both ways, doesn't it?

Au contraire,

You cannot believe, what you have said, really?

I am not slating the man, blindly or otherwise, I am not a FG supporter.

Yes as a member of the Conservatives I watch developments in Ireland with great interest.

I believe Mr Shatter is the finest Minister for Justice and Defence, Ireland has to date

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Shatter does come across as a bit aloof, but he does seem to be doing a reasonably good job (albeit where the job involves implementing cuts).

I don't really understand the level of hate he seems to attract. Or the obsession some people seem to have about his religion. In the 280 odd posts in this thread, only a handful are actually about his performance in government or his politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

stretchdoe wrote: »
    Not blindly supporting the man = anti anything our government could possibly do/anti-semetic/jealous of his success and amazing intellect/malcontent/whatever else can be thrown at people deigning to criticise him on this thread.
    Not disputing that. It's just the same line, "Oh well they're obviously FG supporters/lick-arses" always gets thrown out with zero evidence supporting it.

Not disputing that. It's just the same line, "Oh well they're obviously FG supporters/lick-arses" always gets thrown out with zero evidence supporting it.

So which party do you support? Is there a person in your mind whom you believe can do a better job than Mr. Shatter?

Phoebas wrote: »
    Shatter does come across as a bit aloof, but he does seem to be doing a reasonably good job (albeit where the job involves implementing cuts).

I don't really understand the level of hate he seems to attract. Or the obsession some people seem to have about his religion. In the 280 odd posts in this thread, only a handful are actually about his performance in government or his politics.

I don't recall anyone who criticised him here mentioning his religion in the context of his performance as Minister of Justice; if anyone did they'd be banned and rightly so.

There were a few who mentioned it, legitimately, i think, in the context of the argument, in terms of his outspokenness on the Israel/Palestine issue.

Other than that, if i remember, having read the thread a while ago, most mentions of his religion were people speculating that 'he'll be criticised purely because of religion', as the the one i'm replying to seems to fit, and an argument between two posters which had little to do with the topic of the thread at large.

And vice-versa.

I don't recall anyone who criticised him here mentioning his religion in the context of his performance as Minister of Justice; if anyone did they'd be banned and rightly so.
    What are you on about? :confused:
    I didn't say anyone did criticise him on those terms (although there were some that did link his support for Israel to his religion).

Au contraire,

You cannot believe, what you have said, really?

I am not slating the man, blindly or otherwise, I am not a FG supporter.

Yes as a member of the Conservatives I watch developments in Ireland with great interest.

I believe Mr Shatter is the finest Minister for Justice and Defence, Ireland has to date

Think you missed her point.

Her post was attacking those criticising him.

What are you on about? :confused:
    I didn't say anyone did criticise him on those terms (although there were some that did link his support for Israel to his religion).

You mentioned 'an obsession with his religion', and seemed to imply that that was something that those who criticised him in this thread had in common.

I disagreed. That's what i was on about/referring to.

Perhaps, i misunderstood your post.

If so, i apologise.

• Advertisement

You mentioned an 'obsession with his religion' as being a main feature of this thread.
    No I didn't. Why are you making shít up?

No I didn't. Why are you making shít up?

'Or the obsession some people seem to have about his religion'.

Are you serious?

Go back and read your post #284.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

He's currently being vilified by the media at the moment at the behest of Garda spindoctors. Seriously, a story about not allowing some mucker garda from up the country destroy his jacks??

He is one of the most competent politicians in the dail at present. He has a sharp legal mind. He has the courage of his convictions and is carrying out genuine reform of the justice system. His character is being assassinated at the moment in a vain attempt by the GRA and AGSI to keep the Gardai's inflated salaries intact.

I'm actually a little bit shocked at the solidarity that the gardai are receiving now that they've suddenly sprang into action. The boys in blue were no where to be seen when others salaries and conditions were being cut, or when people in the private sector were losing their job.

Also, not sure what his stance on Israel has to do with anything?

Though I must say the gardai and the far-left make unusual bedfellows....

How do You know the Garda wasn't a Dub?He could have been shooting up heroin in there.

'Or the obsession some people seem to have about his religion'.

Are you serious?

Go back and read your post #284.
    Are you?

Here's what I said in that post:
    I don't really understand the level of hate he seems to attract. Or the obsession some people seem to have about his religion.
    I didn't say or imply or suggest that it was a 'main feature of this thread' (which I notice you have now edited out of your own post).

So kindly don't misrepresent what I did say in the future.

Are you?

Here's what I said in that post:

I didn't say or imply or suggest that it was a 'main feature of this thread' (which I notice you have now edited out of your own post).

So kindly don't misrepresent what I did say in the future.

Oh, right.

You just threw it in there as an incidental, for whatever reason.

Had no meaning/you weren't trying to imply anything/make any point.

Forgive me for taking it up wrong.

This thread has become exceedingly tiresome.

Perhaps it is time to wrap it up as it really appears to be going around in circles

Think you missed her point.

Her post was attacking those criticising him.

Apologies, thank you for clarifying

Apologies, thank you for clarifying

No need to apologise to me. :)

Just took the liberty of pointing out what i thought she meant by that post.

Agree with your above post 100%.

This thread has gone away from the intended topic completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

LOL

Happy Easter!

Not for a moment am I comparing Ireland with North Korea, and of course you are right , this is a democracy, where we have a right to free speech.

I am not defending Fine Gael, I am simply suggesting that we show respect to The Minister, and put forward criticisms in a constructive way.

People unloading their bile here serves no purpose in trying to generate constructive dialogue.

PS . My thoughts about Minister Shatter, have already been posted this evening if you wish to scroll back.

Thank you.

Respect is earned, not just granted.
    Maybe if the Minister treated people properly and stopped speaking in a seemingly sneering manner it might help.
    He really does himself no favours with his style of interview.

• Advertisement

Respect is earned, not just granted.
    Maybe if the Minister treated people properly and stopped speaking in a seemingly sneering manner it might help.
    He really does himself no favours with his style of interview.

Is he sneering though? Maybe people are a little over sensitive. In his defence I think he tells the truth, and avoids spin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement