Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Justice Minster Alan Shatter opinions on the man

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Yeah, I had gathered that. Bit of cognitive bias going on there I reckon. I wonder if he'd be singing the praise of Shatter if major cutbacks were applied to our military budget tomorrow.

It's a fine example of that 'I'm alright Jack' attitude that Yitzhak et al have been decrying in a number of threads lately.

I'd rather not make this personal as you seem eager to do.

Suffice to say you are wrong though. You also will not find a single post in my history criticising barrack closures or cuts to the DF.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I'd rather not make this personal as you seem eager to do.

Suffice to say you are wrong though. You also will not find a single post in my history criticising barrack closures or cuts to the DF.

Well I'm not going to go dredging through your posts, and if what I say is wrong then I humbly apologise.. but I'm nearly certain I've seen you engage in discussion regarding cuts to the DF, and justify the costs of maintaining it in its current form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

Augmerson wrote: »
    He was in the Army.

Oh! Sweet Jesus!

Well I'm not going to go dredging through your posts, and if what I say is wrong then I humbly apologise.. but I'm nearly certain I've seen you engage in discussion regarding cuts to the DF, and justify the costs of maintaining it in its current form.

Apology accepted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Maudi wrote: »
    the crook gets the renovations paid for by the taxpayer.THEN has the cheek to CHARGE the same taxpayer again to look at it..i hope life is always as rosie for him......

You do realise that he is an extremely wealthy man, and that he must have become a politician because of some desire to contribute to the body politic, or a desire to bring about change? Being subjected to such levels of vitriol because of wanting to do so seems to have become part and parcel of the job.

Objective criticism is a very necessary component of a democracy. I'm a huge fan of that.

No Government does a perfect job, and the one we have at the moment certainly hasn't made all the right decisions. But it came to power during a period of extraordinary economic circumstances (FG seem to come to power having to clean up the mess left after FF populist governments). I very much doubt that liberals like Shatter and Burton are making these difficult and painful (but necessary) decisions out of some vindictive part of their personality that has suddenly came to light once they get into power.

But, as I mentioned in a previous post, objective criticism doesn't extend to passing comment on his in-laws, on his wife, on his appearance, on his religion, on his own personal wealth, or on his personality.

It also helps to be able to come up with some constructive and realistic alternatives to what he is doing at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Apology accepted.

Touché :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Sergeant wrote: »

It also helps to be able to come up with some constructive and realistic alternatives to what he is doing at the moment.

practising diplomacy would be a good start for him, i would ask for honesty but then you wanted realistic proposals......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 397 ✭✭Blahblah2012

No Government does a perfect job, and the one we have at the moment certainly hasn't made all the right decisions. But it came to power during a period of extraordinary economic circumstances.

The one we have at the moment have made little or no decent decisions in favour of the people of this country. They lied through their teeth to get into power and even at that, as I said before, they only got in to punish FF.
    They haven't even the decency to take a sizeable pay cut..only a Mickey Mouse one.
    I seem to remember seeing photos of Kenny playing golf with Sean Quinn..that was for the goodness of his health I gather..nothing to do with political donations or indeed something more sinister.
    All the major parties in this country are in bed with the same people that ruined this country. Is a simple fact of protecting the elite and riding the ordinary people.

A good indication of the success of the current government is the resurrection of FF. Says it all!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

A good indication of the success of the current government is the resurrection of FF. Says it all!!!

That reflects poorly on the electorate more than anything, tbh. Just goes to show how pea-brained and deserving of ministerial scorn the average voter is if they're seriously giving any consideration to electing Fianna Fail again after, what, two short years of a Fine Gael-lead coalition?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Maudi wrote: »
    the crook gets the renovations paid for by the taxpayer.THEN has the cheek to CHARGE the same taxpayer again to look at it..i hope life is always as rosie for him......

Sorry I am lost. What renovations? Who ? Where ? When? Why? How much? :confused:

Thanks

• Advertisement

The one we have at the moment have made little or no decent decisions in favour of the people of this country. They lied through their teeth to get into power and even at that, as I said before, they only got in to punish FF.
    They haven't even the decency to take a sizeable pay cut..only a Mickey Mouse one.
    I seem to remember seeing photos of Kenny playing golf with Sean Quinn..that was for the goodness of his health I gather..nothing to do with political donations or indeed something more sinister.
    All the major parties in this country are in bed with the same people that ruined this country. Is a simple fact of protecting the elite and riding the ordinary people.

It may be Easter Sunday, I don't think Fiana Failed have resurrected! FF got their answer in Meath last week!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

That reflects poorly on the electorate more than anything, tbh. Just goes to show how pea-brained and deserving of ministerial scorn the average voter is if they're seriously giving any consideration to electing Fianna Fail again after, what, two short years of a Fine Gael-lead coalition?

It is usually between Zig or Zag. No difference in these parties. FG are just carrying out FF policies now.

It may be Easter Sunday, I don't think Fiana Failed have resurrected!

They weren't that far behind in Meath east!

It does of course..but it also shows dissatisfaction with FG.
    Voting for either deserves scorn. The system needs to be changed.

It is usually between Zig or Zag. No difference in these parties. FG are just carrying out FF policies now.

No, they are carrying out the policies needed to return this country to economic independence (whilst being a member of the wider European fiscal union).

What are the alternatives?

No, they are carrying out the policies needed to return this country to economic independence (whilst being a member of the wider European fiscal union).

Once you believe it...is the main thing!

That's my point. There are no alternatives out there. It's either Zig or Zag.
    The policies FG are now carrying out are not the policies they were elected on.
    Fianna Fail should never be allowed back into power but FG are now their main election agents. Just look at the opinion polls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

FG got the country when it was in a mess that is a fact, right now they are just doing what Europe is telling them to do. Enda Kenny is not making any decisions nor will he in the future.
    They will not get reelected, we all know that, FF is sitting back ready to take it back again.

FF will be lucky to win a nice girl contest, never mind a general election.
    They are the reason Ireland is on its knees.
    FG have been making all the tough and unpopular decisions to clean up the mess left behind after The FF circus got booted out of town.
    Mr. Shatter and his colleagues have done a remarkable job in such a short space of time. Recently Ireland re entered the Bond market well ahead of schedule, certainly in the eyes of the International Community the present Government are seen to be doing an excellent job, which has been proven in recent weeks with the announcement of new jobs being created by multinationals.
    Mr. Shatter is part of that Government team. They never said it would be easy , but they are certainly going in the right direction.
    Anyone who is under the illusion that FF could win the next general election are seriously deluding themselves.

FF will be lucky to win a nice girl contest, never mind a general election.
    They are the reason Ireland is on its knees.
    FG have been making all the tough and unpopular decisions to clean up the mess left behind after The FF circus got booted out of town.
    Mr. Shatter and his colleagues have done a remarkable job in such a short space of time. Recently Ireland re entered the Bond market well ahead of schedule, certainly in the eyes of the International Community the present Government are seen to be doing an excellent job, which has been proven in recent weeks with the announcement of new jobs being created by multinationals.
    Mr. Shatter is part of that Government team. They never said it would be easy , but they are certainly going in the right direction.
    Anyone who is under the illusion that FF could win the next general election are seriously deluding themselves.

They're both useless and sorry excuses for representatives of the people. Shame on them.

• Advertisement

They weren't that far behind in Meath east!

Perhaps, but no prizes for second or third places in that race.

It does of course..but it also shows dissatisfaction with FG.
    Voting for either deserves scorn. The system needs to be changed.

What do you suggest?

They're both useless and sorry excuses for representatives of the people. Shame on them.

Can you elaborate ?

Perhaps, but no prizes for second or third places in that race.

I wouldn't rule out FF getting back in although I would hate to see it.
    The Meath vote was plainly and simply a sympathy vote.
    Don't kid yourself about that.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0223/369264-redc-sbp-poll/
    Fine Gael still the most popular political party.

A new Red C / Sunday Business Post opinion poll suggests Fine Gael is still the most popular political party at 28%, Fianna Fáil is suggested to be at 26%, Independents and others are at 18%, Sinn Féin is suggested to be at 16% and the Labour Party at 12%.

Broadly along the lines of the results in Meath East. This sympathy vote nonsense is nothing but a load of bitter claptrap.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0223/369264-redc-sbp-poll/

Broadly along the lines of the results in Meath East. This sympathy vote nonsense is nothing but a load of bitter claptrap.

Only 2% between them after they wrecked the country.
    Overdoing the austerity measure is costing FG big-time. Too much austerity too soon. The people need a break and FG need to designate money towards a jobs initiative.
    They are becoming the FF election agents.

HondaSami wrote: »
    FG got the country when it was in a mess that is a fact, right now they are just doing what Europe is telling them to do. Enda Kenny is not making any decisions nor will he in the future.
    They will not get reelected, we all know that, FF is sitting back ready to take it back again.

Enda Kenny will be seen as one of the finest Taoisigh we have had. I'm a massive optimist when it come to the future economic sovereignty of this country. In five years time Ireland will once again be one of the great small countries of Europe. Low corporate tax, educated workforce (Jobbridge being a massive component of this), English speaking.

As a part-time, but very engaged student of Modern Irish History, I must say we have a cabinet of truly engaged and receptive Ministers.

Can you elaborate ?

To be honest..this country is so bent..it's hard to know if it's possible. The elite get their way..and there's nothing can be done about it. The average person will always be a monkey licking its bosses bag

Sympathy vote, bull****!

Bitter Fiana Failed clap trap:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

Enda Kenny will be seen as one of the finest Taoisigh we have had. I'm a massive optimist when it come to the future economic sovereignty of this country. In five years time Ireland will once again be one of the great small countries of Europe. Low corporate tax, educated workforce (Jobbridge being a massive component of this), English speaking.

As a part-time, but very engaged student of Modern Irish History, I must say we have a cabinet of truly engaged and receptive Ministers.

I have nothing against Enda Kenny but don't think i see him in the same way you do. Five years is a very long time to wait and what suffering will we endure in the meantime.
    Unfortunately people will turn against FG because of all the cut backs, we all need someone to blame.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement