Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sim City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Merger

I'm just going to get the game on Friday, Couple more days of watching gameplay will do for me! =P Learning from others mistakes..besides from what I see I'll actually save money, its advertised as 49:99 in Argos. Unless anyone can highlight otherwise.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

G2Play have it the normal edition for €38.99 and the limited edition for €42.99.

Thats where I'll be getting it.

Damn you! It says its 38:99 If you buy today! Damn you!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭aaronsharkey

Is sim city out tuesday or friday

Friday is its European release date.

Good thing is that we will get to see reviews before pre-ordering or buying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭aaronsharkey

Do I need to pre order I dont know anyone else getting it and im sure there is no midnight release

Meh...I'm not going to be, I had though about it. But is it really worth it. I am going to buy the physical disk! Haven't done it for a pc game since buying the original simcity 2000!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,763 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Do I need to pre order I dont know anyone else getting it and im sure there is no midnight release

Only reason to preorder is you can get it cheaper from some places online right now

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

VinLieger wrote: »
    Nope thanks to annoying retailers crying over spilt milk UK origin accounts are locked till friday as well, think there might be ways around it though, remember people manging to do something when BF3 was out early elsewhere

They (we) used VPN, though not sure how it will handle sim city with it's online functions. You'll get access but they'll boot you off after an hour or two when they cop you are not from south korea (hint hint) while in bf3 this wasnt really a major issue, it might be a problem in sim city.

also lack of reviews???

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    They (we) used VPN, though not sure how it will handle sim city with it's online functions. You'll get access but they'll boot you off after an hour or two when they cop you are not from south korea (hint hint) while in bf3 this wasnt really a major issue, it might be a problem in sim city.

also lack of reviews???

Also might be a problem depending who you ordered off. I used green man gaming and i get the impression they wont be supplying codes till late thursday so might be a similar situation with other UK online orders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

BlitzKrieg wrote: »

also lack of reviews???
    Polygon gave it 9.5 http://www.polygon.com/game/simcity-2013/2630

ShaneU wrote: »

Polygon review

edit : damn you beating me to it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Hyzepher wrote: »
    The beta is a million miles away from what is available in the full game. you only got 1 hr in the beta - not enough time to see your city grow (become denser) and the changes you need to perform to make it happen

A larger city might seem a better thing but you don't really need it - especially with the other cities available in the region.

I think we'd all love to see the option of an unrestricted city but I don't think it will reduce the enjoyment of the game/

important to remember too, that the beta was massively sped up so you could fill the region in much less time. the actual version of the game will run much slower and require you to zoom in and concentrate much more on smaller neighbourhoods within your city to progress

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

'Sorry fans, but there are a lot of problems with the new SimCity' j.mp/Z1Ve4W

Ars technica aren't too impressed.

'Sorry fans, but there are a lot of problems with the new SimCity' j.mp/Z1Ve4W

Ars technica aren't too impressed.

Yeah reading it makes it seem like theyve walked into it expecting simcity 4.1 and are pissed that they might have to learn new ways to play as the systems now work completely differently

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

That Polygon review was crap. Gushing praise, little detail. I don't care that you'd sell a kidney to be able to play, I want to know what the game is like. The Ars review was a bit "this isn't SimCity 4.1!!!" but at least it talked about the meat of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

yup that review reads like a big long list of L2P complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

zuroph wrote: »
    important to remember too, that the beta was massively sped up so you could fill the region in much less time. the actual version of the game will run much slower and require you to zoom in and concentrate much more on smaller neighbourhoods within your city to progress

I thought that the new "cities" are already smaller neighbourhoods (given that they are a fraction of the size of the cities in the older games), hence the whole specialization stuff that wouldn't be in a proper city - does this mean that there's going to be neighbourhoods within neighbourhoods?

Gamespot reviewer urging caution due to losing cities from server issues

6oBg9co.png

Not so sure about my pre-order yesterday now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

6oBg9co.png

God. If only there was a way to sim a city on a secure environment that was under the user's control like, say, their local machine? Then you wouldn't be at the mercy of a third party's setup issues/reliability/continued agreement to host the content....

That would be great. Pity it's technologically impossible. I hear rumours that these "mainframes" and "dumb terminals" are going to be outclassed by something called a "PC" though. Sounds mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

6oBg9co.png

Yeah and, from the Ars Technica impressions this line has me worried; "Basically as soon as I hit 200K it starts going to ****. Which is weird, because SC2000 maxed out around 20 million, I think. SimCity 4 could have 8 million in a perfectly tuned city".

Might cancel my pre-order just to be on the safe side :/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

grizzly wrote: »
    Yeah and, from the Ars Technica impressions this line has me worried; "Basically as soon as I hit 200K it starts going to ****. Which is weird, because SC2000 maxed out around 20 million, I think. SimCity 4 could have 8 million in a perfectly tuned city".

Might cancel my pre-order just to be on the safe side :/

I had a city over 1m and it was fine

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I've decided not to pre-purchase and am going to wait it out, see when they are going to roll out larger cities, if they ever do. Everything is just shouting failure at it at the moment

Metacritic score sets at 90% after 6 reviews.

10/10 Eurogamer Sweden
    95% Polygon
    90% Gamesbeat
    88% XGN
    80% Gamesreactor Denmark
    80% Gamer.no

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭Sarn

I'm already suffering from buyer's remorse but for all the wrong reasons.

Got home this afternoon, decided to finally get rid of all the old post for the former tenants that has been building up over the past six months, 'Return to sender', 'Not known at this adress.' etc. (these people haven't lived here for several years now).

Checked in to this thread, decided to check my Sim City order from Amazon and noticed that after they had cancelled my order I had mistakenly re-ordered the DVD and not the digital download. :eek: Immediately went into my account to cancel it. Submitted it as it still hadn't shipped, only to get a mail a few minutes later to say that they couldn't stop it as it had just left.

Now I have my copy of Sim City on its way to Oregon, which is going to prove difficult to collect as 1) I live in Dublin and 2) the address doesn't exist. Lesson learnt, but at least somone else will get to write 'Return to sender, address unknown.' Strange coincidence or perhaps my subconscious is messing with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Sarn wrote: »
    I'm already suffering from buyer's remorse but for all the wrong reasons.

Got home this afternoon, decided to finally get rid of all the old post for the former tenants that has been building up over the past six months, 'Return to sender', 'Not known at this adress.' etc. (these people haven't lived here for several years now).

Checked in to this thread, decided to check my Sim City order from Amazon and noticed that after they had cancelled my order I had mistakenly re-ordered the DVD and not the digital download. :eek: Immediately went into my account to cancel it. Submitted it as it still hadn't shipped, only to get a mail a few minutes later to say that they couldn't stop it as it had just left.

Now I have my copy of Sim City on its way to Oregon, which is going to prove difficult to collect as 1) I live in Dublin and 2) the address doesn't exist. Lesson learnt, but at least somone else will get to write 'Return to sender, address unknown.' Strange coincidence or perhaps my subconscious is messing with me.

Why Oregon!?

GaintBomb doing a live quick look right now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭Sarn

No sales tax. Perfect for digital downloads, not so good for physical goods.

It'll be interesting to see how the servers handle things tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

is it jack black in the adverts or someone trying really hard to be him?

Advertisement