Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sim City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Kiith wrote: »
    If that is the plan, then that'll be the final straw regarding dlc for me. You can't take the core features of the game, remove them, and then add them as dlc at a later date. It would put any other bad dlc to shame, and would be an absolute disgrace.

I can only hope it's not the case.

They've kind of already crossed the line slightly with the whole "one theme for everyone, two extra themes for deluxe edition buyers." Now I'm not big into themes so it doesn't really bother me but I can imagine some aesthetically inclined players being pissed over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Kiith wrote: »
    I can only hope it's not the case.

*cough*

The Sims 3 list of expansion packs/extras
    The Sims 3: World Adventures
    The Sims 3: Ambitions
    The Sims 3: Late Night
    The Sims 3: Generations
    The Sims 3: Pets
    The Sims 3: Showtime
    The Sims 3: Supernatural
    The Sims 3: Seasons
    The Sims 3: University Life (Due in March, 2013)
    The Sims 3: Island Paradise (In development)
    Untitled The Sims 3 Time Travel Expansion Pack (In development)
    The Sims 3: High-End Loft Stuff (The Sims 3: Design and High-Tech Stuff in Britain)
    The Sims 3: Fast Lane Stuff
    The Sims 3: Outdoor Living Stuff
    The Sims 3: Town Life Stuff
    The Sims 3: Master Suite Stuff
    The Sims 3: Katy Perry's Sweet Treats
    The Sims 3: Diesel Stuff
    The Sims 3: 70s, 80s and 90s Stuff
    Untitled The Sims 3 Costume Stuff Pack (In development)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Green man gaming have a 20% off deal going right now for the limited edition which brings it down to about 42 euro, no idea how long for though

code is - GMG20-P4DLK-FKYRS

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

VinLieger wrote: »
    Green man gaming have a 20% off deal going right now for the limited edition which brings it down to about 42 euro, no idea how long for though

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83359946&postcount=6271

ShaneU wrote: »

Dont you need to use a US address and stuff for that?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I played this out in EA offices a few weeks ago. I can tell you that the map size in the beta is the map size in the final game - that's what I was told.

However, I found that it didn't really matter much. the game requires you to upgrade your city (road etc) in order to progress. So unlike other version where you grew the city to progress, in this version you grow by upgrades

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Do they send you a key or a disc?

grizzly wrote: »
    *cough*

The Sims 3 list of expansion packs/extras
    The Sims 3: World Adventures
    The Sims 3: Ambitions
    The Sims 3: Late Night
    The Sims 3: Generations
    The Sims 3: Pets
    The Sims 3: Showtime
    The Sims 3: Supernatural
    The Sims 3: Seasons
    The Sims 3: University Life (Due in March, 2013)
    The Sims 3: Island Paradise (In development)
    Untitled The Sims 3 Time Travel Expansion Pack (In development)
    The Sims 3: High-End Loft Stuff (The Sims 3: Design and High-Tech Stuff in Britain)
    The Sims 3: Fast Lane Stuff
    The Sims 3: Outdoor Living Stuff
    The Sims 3: Town Life Stuff
    The Sims 3: Master Suite Stuff
    The Sims 3: Katy Perry's Sweet Treats
    The Sims 3: Diesel Stuff
    The Sims 3: 70s, 80s and 90s Stuff
    Untitled The Sims 3 Costume Stuff Pack (In development)

I'm rather disturbed that that list is shorter than I thought it would be...

Hyzepher wrote: »
    I played this out in EA offices a few weeks ago. I can tell you that the map size in the beta is the map size in the final game - that's what I was told.

:/
    However, I found that it didn't really matter much. the game requires you to upgrade your city (road etc) in order to progress. So unlike other version where you grew the city to progress, in this version you grow by upgrades

I think my problem with a lot of what I'm hearing is, this sounds that as standalone game that it could be quite fun, but it doesn't fit that well for me beside its predecessors as an evolution of them. That we've had to wait for so long for a sequel is bad enough, that what we're getting looks so utterly different to what came before is rather jarring. I think I'll enjoy this game, but I worry that I'll play it and find that it really just doesn't match up well with the IP it's got tagged onto it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Dont you need to use a US address and stuff for that?

fake one

• Advertisement

grizzly wrote: »
    Do they send you a key or a disc?

Origin key

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

nesf wrote: »
    :/
    I think my problem with a lot of what I'm hearing is, this sounds that as standalone game that it could be quite fun, but it doesn't fit that well for me beside its predecessors as an evolution of them. That we've had to wait for so long for a sequel is bad enough, that what we're getting looks so utterly different to what came before is rather jarring. I think I'll enjoy this game, but I worry that I'll play it and find that it really just doesn't match up well with the IP it's got tagged onto it.

Well I suppose it was always going to be different given they completely redesigned the way the game works. But for me the changes are for the best. There is just so much control now that it makes the game more interactive.

There are some cool features that were not shown in the beta that i think most will enjoy and a very cool Challenge mode that is a kind of multiplayer "race to achieve something" kind of feature.

This game is setup for expansion packs so expect a lot to change over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

PC Gamer have a good write up about a hands-on they had with the full game. The fact that a serial killer can appear has me intrigued.

http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/simcity-hands-on-clever-beautiful-and-terribly-terribly-addictive/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

humanji wrote: »
    PC Gamer have a good write up about a hands-on they had with the full game. The fact that a serial killer can appear has me intrigued.

http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/simcity-hands-on-clever-beautiful-and-terribly-terribly-addictive/

Certainly makes me want to play it! The interaction between two cities you create are fantastic!

Mc Love wrote: »
    Certainly makes me want to play it! The interaction between two cities you create are fantastic!

Yeah thats gonna be fun allright, creating garbage cities to take all the crap from your posh cities, im more looking forward to the multiplayer dynamic where on a map of 16 nobody wants to touch the garbage or sewage

Well I suppose it was always going to be different given they completely redesigned the way the game works. But for me the changes are for the best. There is just so much control now that it makes the game more interactive.

There are some cool features that were not shown in the beta that i think most will enjoy and a very cool Challenge mode that is a kind of multiplayer "race to achieve something" kind of feature.

This game is setup for expansion packs so expect a lot to change over the years.

Eh, it's the Civ V problem isn't it? Most of the community wanted Civ IV with better graphics and a few enhancements. What they got was a redesign of some of the most basic elements to the Civ series. Civ V is a pretty good game but you'll not get quite a few people to admit that because it's not Civ IV 2.0.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Civ 5 had signficant issues aside from being different.

Here is a blog from Jon Safer the lead designer of Civ 5. He points out some of the successess and failures of Civ 5.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/JonShafer/20130218/186843/Revisiting_the_Design_of_Civ_5.php

Azza wrote: »
    Civ 5 had signficant issues aside from being different.

Here is a blog from Jon Safer the lead designer of Civ 5. He points out some of the successess and failures of Civ 5.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/JonShafer/20130218/186843/Revisiting_the_Design_of_Civ_5.php

Indeed. What I'm thinking of is the 1UPT people versus the stack of doom people on civfanatics and elsewhere. The move to 1UPT alienated a lot of people, now yes the tactical AI in base Civ V was **** which helped SoD side's argument quite a bit but a lot of people seemed to not think it was a true Civ game because it went 1UPT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭Julez

Anybody pre ordered this on any game key sites... here is a list of sites with prices, with cdkeyhouse being the cheapest at just under €30. Anyone used them before? Worth going for?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭andymurphy93

Julez wrote: »
    Anybody pre ordered this on any game key sites... here is a list of sites with prices, with cdkeyhouse being the cheapest at just under €30. Anyone used them before? Worth going for?

their worth it for the price but me and my mate have too difference experiences with them
    we both paid for 2 same games , 2 same type credit cards and yet his key was givin a day later were as i got mine within an hour :S their good though

• Advertisement

Julez wrote: »

Bought 1 game off them, but ive always got the dogey feeling off them, im going with the Amazon version for 34 euro

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'm in need of serious cheering up so I hope this is good.out next friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭Julez

their worth it for the price but me and my mate have too difference experiences with them
    we both paid for 2 same games , 2 same type credit cards and yet his key was givin a day later were as i got mine within an hour :S their good though

I don't mind waiting an extra day too much as long as I get it.
    Bought 1 game off them, but ive always got the dogey feeling off them, im going with the Amazon version for 34 euro

Yeah, I would have gone for the Amazon one too but I've already used the CAGROCKS code :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Can't figure out if I want it or not. Have bought 2k, 3k, 4 and rush hour but the online thing is a bit stupid IMO. It really sounds like they're going for the ridiculous amount of DLC content angle also. My laptop is also on the bottom end of the specs list so maybe will struggle a little.
    decisions decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭Sarn

After reading about it, I've finally gone and pre-ordered it this evening from Amazon. Given that it's been years since I've played Sim City, coupled with a desire to play something different for a while, I decided to go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Can't figure out if I want it or not. Have bought 2k, 3k, 4 and rush hour but the online thing is a bit stupid IMO. It really sounds like they're going for the ridiculous amount of DLC content angle also. My laptop is also on the bottom end of the specs list so maybe will struggle a little.
    decisions decisions
    The solution there, I'd say, is to hold off buying it. Firstly, you'll get to see what the reviews are like. And secondly, if they are (not sure why I put "if" there) going to release expansion packs, then after a while they'll release a game of the year edition or something like that, with the expansion packs included. And you may even have updated your PC by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Cant stop thinking about playing this game!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Bet you a tenner the servers will crash on launch day and nobody will be able to play anyway.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Bet you a tenner the servers will crash on launch day and nobody will be able to play anyway.

Don't jinx it :D

• Advertisement

Of course they will, this is EA were talking about, still i cannot wait to build my gambling/crime metropolis and then make a dedicated police city beside it that lends it police.... oh the possibilities

Advertisement