Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sim City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Well I've played the beta. But it looks great. Very simple to plan out areas and pretty intricate graphics, as in you follow people around and can see them ordering food in drive-throughs or heading into their office. There's loads of great detail in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Azza wrote: »
    My plan for this game.

I'm waiting for reviews of this game. If they are positive and come out before the games released I'll pre-order the Limited Edition from G2Play which is €20.00 cheaper than Origin, unless I see it cheaper elsewhere. Origin like Steam are too expensive to buy games from on the release date.

If the reviews don't come out till after release of the game but are still good, I'll just buy it from the cheapest possible source. What edition is the chepeast is irrelevant to me too. Its rare that the added content bonus is worth the additional cost to me.

Bad reviews = no buy.

Whether the game is dumbed down or reduced in scale from the orginal series doesn't matter to me because I haven't played them. It was the same thing for me with the X-Com and Devil May Cry reboots. I just feel like trying this game out because its a bit different from what I normally play and it looks good in previews.

The fact that it is on Origin does not bother me. I've had no serious issues with Origin in my 2+ years of use with it. Not without issues but I've had similar problems with Steam particualry in its first few years.

I don't mind DLC. They can make as much of it as they want and release it when they want. I'll judge the DLC on a case by case basis, factoring in reviews and its cost.

I rather they didn't use always online DRM. But if the games good, it won't deter me from purchasing it. Hopefully they patch it after it while to remove the requirement.

You've never played a sim city game? :eek:

Or xcom or DMC?

What is it you normally play?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Maxis say city size will be increased eventually.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/01/simcity-city-size-maxis/

There is a Q&A with Will Wright and the creative developer Ocean Quigley I think and if you listen to them, you will understand why the city size is the way it is, even WW is impressed with even though like most of us he questioned the size of the city area, but if it can win him over, surely the rest of us will be too!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Having though about it I'm not too bothered about the city size limits as I prefer to build smaller towns, but many of them throughout the region, all linked up well which this game seems more focused on. The lack of farm land to fill in the gaps is a bit disappointing though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Never really played a SimCity game, is there any objective beyond just building your city?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

quarryman wrote:
    You've never played a sim city game?

Or xcom or DMC?

What is it you normally play?

I've probably briefly played some form of Sim City game at some time or another but I don't recall much about it.

X-Com never really heard of them until the reboot previews.

Played DMC 4 and it didn't make much of impression. Not a genre that normally appeals to me. The fact that fans of the series hated the new one is what made it appeal to me. I thought if those idiots hated it, it must be good! :D

What I normally play. Well when I was young it was a mix of arcade games and at home I was a Mega Drive user, then PS1 and N64 games before moving over to PC in 97/98 and not really playing much consoles games since.

I think Half Life was one of the first PC games I played....I didn't like it much at first. But I think the games that got me into PC gaming where Rainbow 6 Rouge Spear, Unreal Tournament, Grand Prix 2, Command and Conquer, Total Annihilation and Age of Empires 2.

Nowadays I play all sorts of games, FPS, Third Person Shooter, Fighting Games, Combat Flight Sims, RTS, TBS, RPG, Racing games and football games and occasionally dabble with an MMORPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

danthefan wrote: »
    Never really played a SimCity game, is there any objective beyond just building your city?

yeah, but its quite sandbox – you'll find yourself setting lots of your own objectives. Bring down crime/build a stadium/afford to go green etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

grizzly wrote: »
    yeah, but its quite sandbox – you'll find yourself setting lots of your own objectives. Bring down crime/build a stadium/afford to go green etc.

I'm sure this says more about me than the game - but that doesn't sound too interesting to me tbh. Was interested but think I'll pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Civ 5 had signficant issues aside from being different.

Here is a blog from Jon Safer the lead designer of Civ 5. He points out some of the successess and failures of Civ 5.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/JonShafer/20130218/186843/Revisiting_the_Design_of_Civ_5.php

Wow. That whole blog really amounts to "here's how everything I did to civilisation was totally ****, buy my new game where I did all the things I should have done!"

Think I'll skip it mate.

I think Half Life was one of the first PC games I played....I didn't like it much at first. But I think the games that got me into PC gaming where Rainbow 6 Rouge Spear, Unreal Tournament, Grand Prix 2, Command and Conquer, Total Annihilation and Age of Empires 2.

If you played age of Empires, you'll find a lot in common with sim city. The gameplay mechanics aren't exactly the same, but the philosophy of long term planning, resourcing and expanding has the same sort of rewards structure.

Dig out a copy of 2000 if you can find one and run it in dosbox or xp mode. Best one of the series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Anyone else who ordered on amazon.com have their order disappear on them?

edit:

Amazon Tony on Reddit

"Hey guys,

I just saw this note and saw this issue (I was at comicon all day).

For 100% transparency here is the mistake that led to this issue. Note this was absolutely a mistake, and orders that were did not use CAGROCKS were cancelled as well.

On Thursday we learned that there would no longer be a pre-load for SimCity. In response I set up a mass mail to go out to every customer who had pre-ordered the game up until we found out there wasn't a pre-load anymore.

When I filed this request, I copy/pasted a previous request for a mass mail, in this previous request the words "also please cancel all of the attached orders" (we had an issue with a product previously that we had to cancel/refund orders on because the product never shipped).

So, when sending the email out, letting customers know there was no pre-load, we also cancelled all the orders.

Again, this was totally my bad.

Cheers, Tony"

"I'm figuring out if we can just re-place the orders for everyone who did not re-order already. I literally just got home so I have very little visibility into what's been worked on so far.

I'll update as soon as I have more information. Thanks for the patience and sorry for the hassle.

Cheers, Tony"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

If you played age of Empires, you'll find a lot in common with sim city. The gameplay mechanics aren't exactly the same, but the philosophy of long term planning, resourcing and expanding has the same sort of rewards structure.

Dig out a copy of 2000 if you can find one and run it in dosbox or xp mode. Best one of the series.

I think you meant to say they're completely different game types.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭Sarn

ShaneU wrote: »
    Anyone else who ordered on amazon.com have their order disappear on them?

Happened here as well. I've mailed Amazon regarding the issue as I used CAGROCKS on my order which was a one off code.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

It shouldn't be my responsibility to contact support because of one of their employee's mistakes, most of the responses I've seen they either don't believe you or "pass it on" to some other department, will probably buy elsewhere now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,763 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Yeah a "mistake" they blatantly did this when they realised how many people were using cagrocks for simcity

Is there a max number of cities you can play at once? Can you delete cities or do they expire after inactivity in public games?

I think you meant to say they're completely different game types.

No, I meant what I said. Both games revolve around building and planning towards self - set goals, over the long term, and dealing with any short term problems that the game throws (other civs invading / city disasters) at you in the meantime. Both involve resource management and similar matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭Sarn

ShaneU wrote: »
    It shouldn't be my responsibility to contact support because of one of their employee's mistakes, most of the responses I've seen they either don't believe you or "pass it on" to some other department, will probably buy elsewhere now.

All sorted here, they were very helpful, no messing around. They applied a $15 discount to my order, so in the end I saved 2c plus the $5 apology for my next order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

No, I meant what I said. Both games revolve around building and planning towards self - set goals, over the long term, and dealing with any short term problems that the game throws (other civs invading / city disasters) at you in the meantime. Both involve resource management and similar matters.
    Yes, in that they're both strategy games. That's like saying that apples and oranges are the same because they're both fruit...

Reekwind wrote: »
    Yes, in that they're both strategy games. That's like saying that apples and oranges are the same because they're both fruit...

To someone who hasn't played a sim city game, I think it's a reasonable analogy to make in order to recommend the game.

Of course, if you want to spend the rest of your life worrying about what sub category of game a particular title is you're more than welcome. Personally I've never understood the need to worry about what "type" of game I'm playing as my primary criteria is "is it any good".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Of course, if you want to spend the rest of your life worrying about what sub category of game a particular title is you're more than welcome. Personally I've never understood the need to worry about what "type" of game I'm playing as my primary criteria is "is it any good".
    Genres are there for a reason. If somebody asks for a good romantic comedy then I don't see the point in recommending Saw. It doesn't matter how good the latter is, a refusal to distinguish "type" makes the recommendation useless. Similarly, if I were to ask for a good F1 racing game, would you point me in the direction of FIFA on the basis that they're both sports sims and FIFA is pretty good?

The reality is that AoE has almost nothing in common with Sim City beyond the most base of strategy layers. You may as well have recommended Football Manager. Anyone who goes into Sim City expecting AoE, or something akin to it, will be disappointed. And that's why this is all worth stressing

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Got to love the internet ^^

Reekwind wrote: »
    Genres are there for a reason. If somebody asks for a good romantic comedy then I don't see the point in recommending Saw. It doesn't matter how good the latter is, a refusal to distinguish "type" makes the recommendation useless. Similarly, if I were to ask for a good F1 racing game, would you point me in the direction of FIFA on the basis that they're both sports sims and FIFA is pretty good?

The reality is that AoE has almost nothing in common with Sim City beyond the most base of strategy layers. You may as well have recommended Football Manager. Anyone who goes into Sim City expecting AoE, or something akin to it, will be disappointed. And that's why this is all worth stressing

But the poster wasn't requesting a recommendation for a particular *type* of game, just an opinion on whether they would enjoy this one. So, getting hung up on genres doesn't seem important in this particular case.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

Is the origin version of this out tomorrow or Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Merger

Friday for the Physical but I think from the website its tomorrow from what I can recall.

Merger wrote: »
    Friday for the Physical but I think from the website its tomorrow from what I can recall.

Nope thanks to annoying retailers crying over spilt milk UK origin accounts are locked till friday as well, think there might be ways around it though, remember people manging to do something when BF3 was out early elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Merger wrote: »

I'd say we still have to wait for the physical EU release date to play the origin version though, no?

Newaglish wrote: »
    I'd say we still have to wait for the physical EU release date to play the origin version though, no?

Exactly and since its always online connected over origin every UK/IRL origin account has to wait till friday

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Inquitus wrote: »
    It is an issue, I have played 2 rounds of beta on that size plot, as well as watched the yourthemayor broadcasts each day, I can't get over thinking thats not a city, its a big town!

http://letsallbemayor.com/en/event/city-in-the-shape-of

Its on live now.

The beta is a million miles away from what is available in the full game. you only got 1 hr in the beta - not enough time to see your city grow (become denser) and the changes you need to perform to make it happen

A larger city might seem a better thing but you don't really need it - especially with the other cities available in the region.

I think we'd all love to see the option of an unrestricted city but I don't think it will reduce the enjoyment of the game/

• Advertisement

Apart from your budget, isn't space one of the constraints that makes the game a challenge? Otherwise the interaction between housing/industrial wouldn't be an issue.

Advertisement