Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sim City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,911 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Kirby wrote: »
    So if I want to play it now, should I buy it on the american origin using a proxy? Will that limit me if I turn the VPN off at some point? I know the game is region free....but is origin?

Whats the best way to go about this..........

Honestly from what im reading i wouldnt want to play it yet, better off waiting for our launch when all the server issues have been hopefully ironed out, also only buy it off origin if you wanna get ripped of by 10-20 euro

nesf wrote: »
    From the release problems, I think the staggered release was probably a good idea here (even though them having published SWTOR should have given them the experience to do a global release).

Yeah but surely pre-loading would have helped? Also the whole idea of digital pre-orders is to give them an idea of demand and yet we still have to put up with this ****. Surely the Diablo 3 fiasco was warning enough

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

VinLieger wrote: »
    Yeah but surely pre-loading would have helped? Also the whole idea of digital pre-orders is to give them an idea of demand and yet we still have to put up with this ****. Surely the Diablo 3 fiasco was warning enough

Any idea why they cancelled the pre-load?

nesf wrote: »
    Any idea why they cancelled the pre-load?

No all the explanation ive seen was that its just didnt come together for some unexplicable reason

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Honestly from what im reading i wouldnt want to play it yet, better off waiting for our launch when all the server issues have been hopefully ironed out, also only buy it off origin if you wanna get ripped of by 10-20 euro

Yes but the american Origin has it for 60 dollars which works out at 45 euro. Don't think you will get it for much cheaper than that.

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »
    Yes but the american Origin has it for 60 dollars which works out at 45 euro. Don't think you will get it for much cheaper than that.

Got it off green man gaming for 41, theres other less reputable sites out there still offering 36 i think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

Pre-loading wouldn't help because the servers you download the game from are not the same servers you play the game on. The download servers are just static servers providing bulk data. The game servers have to maintain state and manage the gameplay itself. In some ways, pre-loading will actually make it worse as it means that everybody will try to come on-line at the same time, whereas if you only allow downloading the game when it goes live, then different people will actually start playing at different times, as the download arrives in at different rates.

Pre-ordering should've given them an idea about demand, but I would imagine EA are only providing enough server power to cater "normal" load, not "launch" load. While they should be able to scale up/down using cloud tech; looking at comments from the US they royally screwed it up.

Pre-loading wouldn't help because the servers you download the game from are not the same servers you play the game on. The download servers are just static servers providing bulk data. The game servers have to maintain state and manage the gameplay itself. In some ways, pre-loading will actually make it worse as it means that everybody will try to come on-line at the same time, whereas if you only allow downloading the game when it goes live, then different people will actually start playing at different times, as the download arrives in at different rates.

Pre-ordering should've given them an idea about demand, but I would imagine EA are only providing enough server power to cater "normal" load, not "launch" load. While they should be able to scale up/down using cloud tech; looking at comments from the US they royally screwed it up.

Yes but alot of problems have had to do with the game not unlocking for people who it should have due to the overload on origin

• Registered Users Posts: 14,842 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

For the record I've had the game running on eu server for 3 hours without any problems

ShaneU wrote: »
    For the record I've had the game running on eu server for 3 hours without any problems

Damn you :P

• Advertisement

Just got my key gonna go and **** with origin now

Origin name is VinLieger for anyone wanting to play

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,472 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Anyone know what this is going to be retailing for in Gamestop?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Do you think it'll run on this despite what it says?:
    :(http://www.systemrequirementslab.com says everything but the CPU is well over and the CPU should run it but fails on this, dunno why. it's dual core, 2ghz...

CPU
    Minimum: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better or Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.0 GHz or better
    You Have: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T6400 @ 2.00GHz
    You Have: 2.0 GHz

RAM
    Minimum: 2 GB
    You Have: 3.1 GB

OS
    Minimum: Windows XP/Vista/7
    You Have: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 32-bit
    WindowsClick here for the latest Windows drivers.

Video Card
    Minimum: ATI Radeon HD 2x00 or better /nVidia GeForce 7800 or better /Intel Series 4 integrated graphics or better
    You Have: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3670
    Video CardClick here for the latest Video Card drivers.

Features: Minimum attributes of your Video Card
    Required You Have
    Icon Pixel Shader version 3.0 4.1
    Icon Vertex Shader version 3.0 4.1
    Icon Dedicated Video RAM 256 MB 512 MB

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

It should run on low settings at medium-high res I'd imagine.

Meanwhile:
    h9AD0A3EA

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭aaronsharkey

Do you think that the game will be sold out in game stop

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

I asked about the price in Gamestop today and was told "Roughly 49.99". Whatever that means...

Does anyone know what will happen if my internet connection drops while playing the game? Do you get booted out?
    My connection has been pretty ropey lately and I have a feeling this will annoy me greatly.

Stmbled upon a wall in my current city, keeps telling me i need industrial which i have zoned for but when a plot starts building it just sticks at zero.
    Same with any residential zoning i do, the plot takes shape and then no buildings appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Morpork wrote: »
    I asked about the price in Gamestop today and was told "Roughly 49.99". Whatever that means...

Does anyone know what will happen if my internet connection drops while playing the game? Do you get booted out?
    My connection has been pretty ropey lately and I have a feeling this will annoy me greatly.
    Don't know for sure, but I heard you've got about 3 minutes of a grace period for the connection to pick up again before you crash out of the game.

Had to build a hospital right in the middle of my industrial zones as the everyone was complaining about germs. If the germs get too bad, the zombies come and goodbye population.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Had to build a hospital right in the middle of my industrial zones as the everyone was complaining about germs. If the germs get too bad, the zombies come and goodbye population.

I thought germs came from a polluted water table. Do germs spawn zombies? Cool. Also how do you fight zombies? Cops?

• Advertisement

Build a prison. That way, your survivors have somewhere to hide from said zombies. :)

Germs come from any kind of pollution.

My city

I can already see it's doublin in size!

I'll get my coat.....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I still don't like how small the cities are. Thats a bloody town :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Germs come from any kind of pollution.

My city

Damn. That's nice.

Polygon changed their review to an 8.0 because of the connection issues http://www.polygon.com/game/simcity-2013/2630

• Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

That is actually pretty restrictive... Imagine trying to put in a city size train terminus, quarter of the map would suddenly be under rails!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Bet you a tenner the servers will crash on launch day and nobody will be able to play anyway.

Looks like I was right for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Looks like I was right for the most part.

In other news, the sun will rise tomorrow and water will continue, as ever, to be wet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Anyone know where online you can pre-order for the mac? Everywhere seems to be PC only

EDIT: Nevermind. There is no official release date for the mac. That kinda sucks

Advertisement