Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sim City

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I have to say the flyovers and the airport both look fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

humanji wrote: »
    The solution there, I'd say, is to hold off buying it. Firstly, you'll get to see what the reviews are like. And secondly, if they are (not sure why I put "if" there) going to release expansion packs, then after a while they'll release a game of the year edition or something like that, with the expansion packs included. And you may even have updated your PC by then.

Of course the problem there is I don't have it then :(

I'll wait until it's out at least and the initial feedback rolls in I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Bet you a tenner the servers will crash on launch day and nobody will be able to play anyway.

Yeah, I guess it's a simple call to reduce costs. The first week everyone logs on and the servers will be 8 times as busy as they'll be for the rest of the year. Makes sence to let users drop instead of upping server setup.

As for DLC, I'm hoping most of it is little cosmetic packs and anything that has big gameplay effects can come in one bigger expansion later.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

grizzly wrote: »
    As for DLC, I'm hoping most of it is little cosmetic packs and anything that has big gameplay effects can come in one bigger expansion later.

i.e. what Paradox do which is perfectly acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,763 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

nesf wrote: »
    i.e. what Paradox do which is perfectly acceptable.

Exactly have no problem paying for their content as it doesnt come in drips and drabs and you dont feel like your being cheated out of stuff that should have been in the game, DLC done right

• Advertisement

VinLieger wrote: »
    Exactly have no problem paying for their content as it doesnt come in drips and drabs and you dont feel like your being cheated out of stuff that should have been in the game, DLC done right

I might be a bit strange but I've bought DLC spritepacks form Paradox for various games solely because I like how they handle DLC and I want to reward them for it/encourage them to keep it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

VinLieger wrote: »
    Even better than that, each major lump of DLC is accompanied by a hefty patch to the core game. So if you don't fancy playing as Vikings/merchants in CKII then you still get the improvements (for free) that the team have been making to the base engine

• Registered Users Posts: 17,763 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

nesf wrote: »
    I might be a bit strange but I've bought DLC spritepacks form Paradox for various games solely because I like how they handle DLC and I want to reward them for it/encourage them to keep it up.

I did the same, its a loyalty they deserve in my opinion, I have no feelings of loyalty to EA as they are constantly out to screw you rather than reward you for being their customer

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

My plan for this game.

I'm waiting for reviews of this game. If they are positive and come out before the games released I'll pre-order the Limited Edition from G2Play which is €20.00 cheaper than Origin, unless I see it cheaper elsewhere. Origin like Steam are too expensive to buy games from on the release date.

If the reviews don't come out till after release of the game but are still good, I'll just buy it from the cheapest possible source. What edition is the chepeast is irrelevant to me too. Its rare that the added content bonus is worth the additional cost to me.

Bad reviews = no buy.

Whether the game is dumbed down or reduced in scale from the orginal series doesn't matter to me because I haven't played them. It was the same thing for me with the X-Com and Devil May Cry reboots. I just feel like trying this game out because its a bit different from what I normally play and it looks good in previews.

The fact that it is on Origin does not bother me. I've had no serious issues with Origin in my 2+ years of use with it. Not without issues but I've had similar problems with Steam particualry in its first few years.

I don't mind DLC. They can make as much of it as they want and release it when they want. I'll judge the DLC on a case by case basis, factoring in reviews and its cost.

I rather they didn't use always online DRM. But if the games good, it won't deter me from purchasing it. Hopefully they patch it after it while to remove the requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Anyone know if you will be able to play offline like you can with Steam (football manager)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I have to say the flyovers and the airport both look fantastic.
    International airport

BEE_eRPCcAA6j4k.png:large
    Mc Love wrote: »
    Anyone know if you will be able to play offline like you can with Steam (football manager)?
    no

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

The huge cities on their own look out of place. I know this was a big problem with lots of people. Hopefully the modding community will sort it out.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭thelostboys23

Savage pic of the airport I really cant wait another week for this game to come out!!

dazftw wrote: »
    The huge cities on their own look out of place. I know this was a big problem with lots of people. Hopefully the modding community will sort it out.

Might be cool if towns appeared and your city as it grew. Out of bounds, but reflected how well you were doing.

I've not played Sim City since I had it on the snes! The interface always put me off other editions. Getting excited for this but hope it's not too much of a massive time sink.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Reviews are out tuesday ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

The fact that it's always online would lead me to believe that this won't allow any molding at all. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

The fact that it's always online would lead me to believe that this won't allow any molding at all. :(

I'm almost certain I read online it was being developed with modding in mind but wont come into play for a few months after release.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

I'm almost certain I read online it was being developed with modding in mind but wont come into play for a few months after release.

I read an EA person say modding would happen but nothing about the extent that we'll be able to mod (I can't imagine the depth of modding available in Sim City 4 to happen which is a real pity) or when it'll happen other than "not on release."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I played the beta, and the game is awesome, my only issue is, as others have said, I don't believe the plot is big enough. Personally I would like to have seen either a bigger plot, or the region cities being adjacent so you could create one huge metropolis from the 16 "cities". Its more like Sim Large County Towns!

That said I pre-ordered the deluxe edition a few weeks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

I'm hopeful that modding a larger plot size will be something that people can do pretty quickly and easily after launch.

That being said, what will all this Glassbox stuff and the engine processing every detail from people to vehicles to waste etc., I suspect the engine might get really sluggish when there's too much data and that's why they've limited the map sizes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

City building event starting at 5pm, 4 hours long

http://letsallbemayor.com/en/event/city-in-the-shape-of

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Inquitus wrote: »
    I played the beta, and the game is awesome, my only issue is, as others have said, I don't believe the plot is big enough. Personally I would like to have seen either a bigger plot, or the region cities being adjacent so you could create one huge metropolis from the 16 "cities". Its more like Sim Large County Towns!

That said I pre-ordered the deluxe edition a few weeks back.

Believe me the size of the plot won't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

ShaneU wrote: »
    City building event starting at 5pm, 4 hours long

Keeps buffering - nearly impossible to watch but it looks great!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Believe me the size of the plot won't be an issue.

It is an issue, I have played 2 rounds of beta on that size plot, as well as watched the yourthemayor broadcasts each day, I can't get over thinking thats not a city, its a big town!

Its on live now.

Had to turn it off. Those guys commentating were incredibly annoying.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Maxis say city size will be increased eventually.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/01/simcity-city-size-maxis/

Azza wrote: »

That'll be a long eventually if they're waiting on my father to upgrade his processor. :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

grizzly wrote: »
    Had to turn it off. Those guys commentating were incredibly annoying.

Stream was also laggy and unwatachable.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Azza wrote: »

Once they figure out a price plan.
    Stream was also laggy and unwatachable.

It ran great for me. But as said above, christ those guys were annoying. I got about 5-10 mins of it before I had to quit it.

• Advertisement

Once they figure out a price plan.

It ran great for me. But as said above, christ those guys were annoying. I got about 5-10 mins of it before I had to quit it.

Must be my internet connection then,how did the game look?good?

Advertisement