Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein TD Dessie Ellis linked to 50 IRA murders

Options
  • 28-12-2012 3:28pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A SINN Fein TD is believed to have been involved in 50 murders during the Troubles, new documents reveal.

Secret internal communications within the British government suggest that Dessie Ellis, then a member of the IRA, was forensically linked to the deaths in the Republic and in Northern Ireland.

And another communication dealing with Mr Ellis refers to him as a "leading PIRA" (Provisional IRA) member.

Mr Ellis, who is now the Sinn Fein TD for Dublin North-West, was sentenced to 10 years in prison on explosives charges in the 1980s.

He declined to comment on the newly released papers from 1982. "No, I won't be saying anything," Mr Ellis told the Irish Independent.

When asked if he disputed the claims, he said: "I don't want to comment on anything said by the Brits. I wouldn't be bothered."

More on this story: http://www.independent.ie/national-news/the-sinn-fein-td-who-is-linked-to-50-murders-3337801.html

This just shows what is wrong with Politics in our country. A Sinn Fein TD is linked with the murder of 50 people, and his response is that he 'couldn't be bothered' to respond. To think that a member of the Irish Parliament would respond in such a lackadaisical manor is absolutely disgraceful and downright appalling. Its an insult and brings the Houses of Government to a new low.

Furthermore, its worth noting that Dessie has confirmed that his membership in the IRA was ‘at the highest levels’ but that he wont be revealing any more until he leaves politics! This is just a long line of further insults to the Irish people.

Sinn Fein talk about corruption, dishonesty, and spin by the government. They lambasted James Reilly recently suggesting corruption, but wouldn't say it outside of the Dail privilege which protects them. They frequently attack the government of misleading and lying to the Irish people. Yet, their own party does just that while only sitting in opposition! Gerry Adams is frequently, as is their party members, linked with murders and the IRA at very high levels by a number of people 'in the know' but this is constantly denied despite the very strong links to the republican movement.

Their own party frequently protest about austerity measures, property tax and our country being dictated to by the EU/IMF. Yet only a few miles away in the same Country, they are in government implementing harsher austerity measures and harsher property taxes under the ruling thumb of the British Government - ironic in itself.

It just makes my blood boil. Is there an honest politician or party out there? If so, please stand up and be counted. To have a TD who has the privilege of being elected to represent Ireland and his constituency hold it with such disregard and to have a party hold the position with such disregard and contempt is an absolute disgrace. Yes, this and previous governments have mislead us and got votes that may not have gone that direction otherwise. Yes, we have a right to be angry and annoyed with our current government in many instances. But this is absolutely nothing in comparison to the contempt and disregard shown by Sinn Fein.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Sully wrote: »
    More on this story: http://www.independent.ie/national-news/the-sinn-fein-td-who-is-linked-to-50-murders-3337801.html

This just shows what is wrong with Politics in our country. A Sinn Fein TD is linked with the murder of 50 people, and his response is that he 'couldn't be bothered' to respond. To think that a member of the Irish Parliament would respond in such a lackadaisical manor is absolutely disgraceful and downright appalling. Its an insult and brings the Houses of Government to a new low.

Furthermore, its worth noting that Dessie has confirmed that his membership in the IRA was ‘at the highest levels’ but that he wont be revealing any more until he leaves politics! This is just a long line of further insults to the Irish people.

Sinn Fein talk about corruption, dishonesty, and spin by the government. They lambasted James Reilly recently suggesting corruption, but wouldn't say it outside of the Dail privilege which protects them. They frequently attack the government of misleading and lying to the Irish people. Yet, their own party does just that while only sitting in opposition! Gerry Adams is frequently, as is their party members, linked with murders and the IRA at very high levels by a number of people 'in the know' but this is constantly denied despite the very strong links to the republican movement.

Their own party frequently protest about austerity measures, property tax and our country being dictated to by the EU/IMF. Yet only a few miles away in the same Country, they are in government implementing harsher austerity measures and harsher property taxes under the ruling thumb of the British Government - ironic in itself.

It just makes my blood boil. Is there an honest politician or party out there? If so, please stand up and be counted. To have a TD who has the privilege of being elected to represent Ireland and his constituency hold it with such disregard and to have a party hold the position with such disregard and contempt is an absolute disgrace. Yes, this and previous governments have mislead us and got votes that may not have gone that direction otherwise. Yes, we have a right to be angry and annoyed with our current government in many instances. But this is absolutely nothing in comparison to the contempt and disregard shown by Sinn Fein.

I don't support Sinn Fein or the IRA at all, but Fine Gael started out as a terrorist organisation too. And Enda Kenny's responses to any of Sinn Fein's legitimate questions with 'ah sure you're just terrorists' is beyond pathetic. They are a legitmate political party with a growing presence in Ireland. It just shows how bad Kenny really is as a leader and also how poor his diplomatic skills really are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Zzzzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Paper never refuses ink as they say.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I'm not too concerned by his "not bothered" comment, but it's the negative attitude he appears to portray towards "The Brits" as he calls'em that I think is out of line. He should recognise his position as an representative of the Irish people, not just within Ireland, but to those outside of Ireland too. With Sinn Fein it's always as show of stepping forwards, but they never intend to do anything progressive that benefits Irish society at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

I'm not too concerned by his "not bothered" comment, but it's the negative attitude he appears to portray towards "The Brits" as he calls'em that I think is out of line. He should recognise his position as an representative of the Irish people, not just within Ireland, but to those outside of Ireland too. With Sinn Fein it's always as show of stepping forwards, but they never intend to do anything progressive that benefits Irish society at all.

Why did the Brits all of a sudden release these files?what are they tryin to achieve?

He was found not guilty in a British court of offences so that should be that.

Shinners should be relieved to know that there are several different classifications used when releasing documents from the Archives, 30 - to 100 years, depending on the risk of national security or international relations being compromised should the info be released too early.

Our children will read some real humdingers in the 2070s

Why did the Brits all of a sudden release these files?what are they tryin to achieve?

30 year archives are opened and released after 30 years, the events happened 30 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I'm not too concerned by his "not bothered" comment, but it's the negative attitude he appears to portray towards "The Brits" as he calls'em...

When he's talking about 'the Brits' I'd hazard a guess he's talking about the British security establishment (of the time) and not your average British person.
    Shinners should be relieved to know that there are several different classifications used when releasing documents from the Archives, 30 - to 100 years,

It's much more of a relief to the British and Unionists I can assure you. Reputations, privilege, pensions, freedom to walk the streets etc are at stake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

"I don't want to comment on anything said by the Brits. I wouldn't be bothered."

Really? Replace Brits with any other ethnic group/nationality/race and there would be uproar.
    To think that party wanted to elect someone as President to represent our country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

i presume this is some kind of sarcastic thread and people are feigning shock and disbelief.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

When he's talking about 'the Brits' I'd hazard a guess he's talking about the British security establishment (of the time) and not your average British person.

None the less he's sill tarring them all with that remark and could have simply said something along the lines of "I don't wish to comment." He made a point of stating "The Brits" with the negative punch it holds as a label here.

I made no comments aimed towards what those files disclosed nor what he was allegedly involved in with PIRA. It was solely on the disrespect shown by him to our closest international partner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

Do you condemn Mandela in the same way?
    This man was possibly linked to the murder of 50 people. He was neither convicted nor does there seem to be any conclusive evidence that he was responsible.
    How can we expect the people of Northern Ireland to move on when people like you in the republic are unable to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I wish people would just stop racking up our troubled past, its like picking of the scab on a healing wound.

The God damned state was born out of terror for crying out loud.

Leave the fecking past where it belongs and move bloody well on ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

"The Brits" doesnt mean British people and it never has. It means the British army, govt or security services.

As for the allegations, wow! Dessie Ellis was in the IRA? Well ride me sideways I never knew that.

Lets bear in mind too that despite "evidence" he was never charged over these murders and what he was charged with by the Brits he was acquitted of.

What a load of nonsense this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

30 year archives are opened and released after 30 years, the events happened 30 years ago.

Unless, of course, they implicate the british govt in various criminal shenanigans, then they stay nice and secret. But don't you fret about that

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Tony blair and george Bush are responsible for the deaths of far more people. Politicians responsible for murder are not confined to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

GRMA wrote: »
    "The Brits" doesnt mean British people and it never has. It means the British army, govt or security services.

As for the allegations, wow! Dessie Ellis was in the IRA? Well ride me sideways I never knew that.

Lets bear in mind too that despite "evidence" he was never charged over these murders and what he was charged with by the Brits he was acquitted of.

What a load of nonsense this is.
    You wouldn't be saying the same thing if it was a former loyalist paramilitary member who had killed 30 Catholics and been found innocent. Boards.ie would be alight with people saying the court system wasn't fair or the police were corrupt.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I haven't read this article, but on your point - should the past of politicians count for nothing? Are we supposed to treat everything as year zero and move on as if nothing happened before?

Shinners love dragging up the activities of the Blueshirts/Dev from the 1930s, nearly 100 years ago. I'm happy to leave that in the past because none of these people are alive. But there's no way I'm ignoring the past of any curent politician.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Hi Keith.

• Advertisement

What a load of anti sinn fein nonsense.

There arent harsher austerity measures being implemented in the north

Plus they are in a mandatory coalition with unionists their polar opposite socially and economically. They have no fiscal control to raise taxes etc. Its basically a talking shop.

However its part of the peace process and things are getting better all the time. Do you want SF to pull out of Stormont?

And everyone knew Dessie was in the IRA.

This is just a chance for people to display faux outrage and get the kicks in to SF without even pausing for a second to think that these allegations might not be true, that he was never charged over them when it would have served British interests and what he was charged with he was acquitted of

I get that. It's why I don't like how he said what he said.

It is disgraceful that terrorists are allowed to sit in the Dáil.

I think Eamon Gilmore was on the money asking SF where are the bodies buried. They sure do have a lot to answer for.

I am sure the the AH coven of SF/IRA cheerleaders will rush to defend Grizzly et al.

Really? :D

Thats workers party Eamon Gilmore? Ask him about the OIRA and his involvement with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Do you think that should be applied to e.g. Bloody Sunday though? It's not easy or even possible to just let go.

I get that. It's why I don't like how he said what he said.
    But the British call themselves Brits all the time? Daily Mail is full of it...

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    You wouldn't be saying the same thing if it was a former loyalist paramilitary member who had killed 30 Catholics and been found innocent. Boards.ie would be alight with people saying the court system wasn't fair or the police were corrupt.
    Even Kevin Myers doesnt pretend that loyalists and republicans were as bad as each other

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Hi keith :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Even Kevin Myers doesnt pretend that loyalists and republicans were as bad as each other
    What are you talking about?

• Administrators Posts: 53,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Looking forward to hearing the calls for a public enquiry from the mouthy minority within republicanism. You know, those ones who want the truth...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

No surreindeer

Poor pet can't stay away.

Advertisement