Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein TD Dessie Ellis linked to 50 IRA murders

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Seaneh wrote: »
    Then surely they would have been in jail by now?

Do you know more than the British criminal justice system?
    The dogs in the street know that Adams was in the IRA. Only a complete idiot or a sycophantic apologist would attempt to deny it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

dvpower wrote: »
    The dogs in the street know that Adams was in the IRA. Only a complete idiot or a sycophantic apologist would attempt to deny it?

They why wasn't he jailed for it? Seeing as the dog in the street knew it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Justice for their crimes.
    If justice isn't on the cards, at least they should crawl back under their stones.

Really? I was fairly sure you said you just wanted "the truth".

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

There is a difference though. He was obviously clever in evading involvement in crimes that led to him being found guilty of membership/other crimes.

As I've said I'm no fan of Sinn Fein at all, but Adams is possibly one of the few of them currently active with no criminal record from that time.

I used work with one of their convicted bombers from Derry. His mother regularly castigated McGuinness for his involvement to his face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

Pottler wrote: »
    I agree fully with your points in bold, the rest is just a matter of time passing.

Some reading for you and the other lad...

http://cedarlounge.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/good-old-ira-sf-publ-dept-1985.pdf

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    If the man on the street knows they were in the IRA then why weren't they convicted?
    That's pretty obvious. In order to stop these criminals from continuing their campaign of murder and mayhem, we've decided to pay the price of not perusing them.

That doesn't wipe away their crimes. Adams is still a terrorist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

That's pretty obvious. In order to stop these criminals from continuing their campaign of murder and mayhem, we've decided to pay the price of not perusing them.

But they had decades to get him before the peace process?

They even colluded in an assassination attempt on him

Nodin wrote: »
    Really? I was fairly sure you said you just wanted "the truth".
    That's right. Terrorists face up to the truth or crawl back under their stones.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I agree with you that Adams has supported a reign of terrorism in the past, not that he is a convicted terrorist though. I know I'm being very pedantic. Having worked with that guy who was a bomber I've no doubt Adams was involved, but legally he is clean.

I grew up in Portlaoise across from the prison in the 70's and 80's. Probably as close as you could come to living in NI at the time in the south. I remember the bomb scares, the extradition protests, Peter Robinson being jailed etc. I remember the protests around Ellis being extradited, and numerous other incidents.

Adams never featured, iirc McGuinness did a few times though.

GRMA wrote: »
    But they had decades to get him before the peace process?

They even colluded in an assassination attempt on him
    lol. I don't want anyone 'got'.

• Advertisement

Including RUC, MI5 and MI6 officers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

No, you stated
    Justice for their crimes.
    If justice isn't on the cards, at least they should crawl back under their stones

despite elsewhere saying
    Nobody is talking about charging anybody with anything.
    Just looking for the truth of the matter. Is that not reasonable and understandable?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82402644&postcount=42

I agree with you that Adams has supported a reign of terrorism in the past, not that he is a convicted terrorist though. I know I'm being very pedantic. Having worked with that guy who was a bomber I've no doubt Adams was involved, but legally he is clean.

I grew up in Portlaoise across from the prison in the 70's and 80's. Probably as close as you could come to living in NI at the time in the south. I remember the bomb scares, the extradition protests, Peter Robinson being jailed etc. I remember the protests around Ellis being extradited, and numerous other incidents.

Adams never featured, iirc McGuinness did a few times though.
    I get the distinction you're making between someone like Adams, who wasn't convicted, and Ellis, who is a convicted terrorist.

I'm pretty confident that Adams is a terrorist - its common knowledge and only messers would challenge it.

Nodin wrote: »
    That's right. The truth or back under the stone.

One or the other.

Including RUC, MI5 and MI6 officers?
    Yeah, that whataboutery too.

I get the distinction you're making between someone like Adams, who wasn't convicted, and Ellis, who is a convicted terrorist.

I'm pretty confident that Adams is a terrorist - its common knowledge and only messers would challenge it.

I am too, but by the laws of the Uk and Ireland he is not a criminal, Ellis et al are.

I can't understand how a bankrupt can't be a T.D. but a convicted criminal can.

Ergo I've a problem with all those from Sinn Fein who have such a conviction being in office, but not with Adams. Much and all as I despise the man and the past I believe he has had, he has never been convicted of any criminal offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

How many current, serving members of Fine Gael were in a terrorist organisation whose living victims are maimed or survived by still-grieving families and friends? None.

Sinn Féin has several. In addition to Dessie Ellis, they have

* Gerry Kelly (Sinn Féin MLA for North Belfast)
    * Paul Butler (former Sinn Féin MLA for Lagan Valley)
    * Pat Doherty (Sinn Féin MLA for West Tyrone)
    * Martina Anderson (former Sinn Féin MLA for Foyle)
    * Carál Ní Chuilín (Sinn Féin Minister for Culture, Arts and Leisure)
    * Martin McGuinness (Sinn Féin Deputy First Minster)
    * Gerry Adams (Sinn Féin leader)
    * Martin Ferris (Sinn Féin TD for Kerry North-West Limerick)
    While I loathe Sinn Fein and make no apologies for it, I equally loathe sloppy posting. Neither Gerry Adams or Pat Doherty have ever been convicted of any criminal offences or of belonging to any terrorist organisation. You might want to amend your post above?

The evidence that Gerry Adams was in the IRA is overwhelming.

* We have photographs from 1971 of Adams in uniform at an IRA funeral (complete with custom black beret).
    * We have the testimony of investigative journalists and writers such as Ed Moloney, Jim Cusack, Peter Taylor, Mark Urban, Richard English and Kevin Myers (who lived in Northern Ireland in the 1970s).
    * We have the testimony of British intelligence authorities.
    * We have the testimony of Irish intelligence authorities.
    * We have the testimony of several former IRA members (Anthony McIntyre, Brendan Hughes, Marion Price)
    * We have the testimony of American politicians like Mario Biaggi, who met Adams in the Europa Hotel in Belfast in 1979 and was told, by Adams, that an IRA truce was out of the question.

Really, the only evidence we have that Gerry Adams was not is his own testimony. Frankly, I think he is lying when he says he was never in the IRA.

As for Doherty, he's been named in the House of Commons as a member of the IRA Army Council. There's no smoke without fire.

I am too, but by the laws of the Uk and Ireland he is not a criminal, Ellis et al are.
    Convictions are one measure.

Actually committing crimes is another. It is generally accepted that Adams was an IRA leader and I accept that too. Even the most committed 'republican' will agree.

The evidence that Gerry Adams was in the IRA is overwhelming.

* We have photographs from 1971 of Adams in uniform at an IRA funeral (complete with custom black beret).
    * We have the testimony of investigative journalists and writers such as Ed Moloney, Jim Cusack, Peter Taylor, Mark Urban, Richard English and Kevin Myers (who lived in Northern Ireland in the 1970s).
    * We have the testimony of British intelligence authorities.
    * We have the testimony of Irish intelligence authorities.
    * We have the testimony of several former IRA members (Anthony McIntyre, Brendan Hughes, Marion Price)
    * We have the testimony of American politicians like Mario Biaggi, who met Adams in the Europa Hotel in Belfast in 1979 and was told, by Adams, that an IRA truce was out of the question.

Really, the only evidence we have that Gerry Adams was not is his own testimony. Frankly, I think he is lying when he says he was never in the IRA.

As for Doherty, he's been named in the House of Commons as a member of the IRA Army Council. There's no smoke without fire.

Agree with you 100%, however, they are the only two in the original list posted never to have been convicted of a criminal offence.

I have no doubt GA was very senior in the IRA etc, but claiming he is a convicted terrorist when he is not is just wrong, and actually leaves boards open to defamation claims.

I have the personal testimony of a convicted IRA bomber that Adams was involved, but in a court of law that's called hearsay.

Convictions are one measure.

Actually committing crimes is another. It is generally accepted that Adams was an IRA leader and I accept that too. Even the most committed 'republican' will agree.

But should we make being a convicted criminal something that precludes one from being a TD the subsequent purge would exclude Adams but get rid of Ellis

• Advertisement

But should we make being a convicted criminal something that precludes one from being a TD the subsequent purge would exclude Adams but get rid of Ellis
    Personally I think nobody should be precluded from being a TD. The people are sovereign, so if they want a convicted criminal to represent them then they should have it. I'd go even further - if a convicted criminal who was jailed was elected to the Oireachtas, the Criminal Justice system should facilitate them in carrying out their elected duties.
    But that's just me -I'm a bit of a liberal.

I do like to know exactly who my elected representatives have had a hand in murdering 'tho.

I do like to know exactly who my elected representatives have had a hand in murdering 'tho.

So he was convicted of these murders by the British justice system then?

So he was convicted of these murders by the British justice system then?
    Who are you referring to, Ellis or Adams?

Ellis is a convicted terrorist. Adams is a not convicted terrorist.

Personally I think nobody should be precluded from being a TD. The people are sovereign, so if they want a convicted criminal to represent them then they should have it. I'd go even further - if a convicted criminal who was jailed was elected to the Oireachtas, the Criminal Justice system should facilitate them in carrying out their elected duties.
    But that's just me -I'm a bit of a liberal.

I'm not as liberal as you.

I'd like to think our political representatives obey the laws of the land, so I'd get rid of those who don't pay the household charge and advocate not doing so, those convicted of any offence including traffic offences, those found to evade train fares, taking bribes etc.

You'd probably get rid of half the Dail in that case, but it can't be anything but a good thing.

Live a good life, and represent your people, don't expect us to respect you if you are unlawful if my opinion.

And I include Adams in that list of unlawful, along with an awful lot of FG/FF/Lab tbh/Independants to be honest.

Ellis was convicted in an ROI court.

I remember the protests when he was extradited.

Ellis was convicted in an ROI court.

I remember the protests when he was extradited.
    That's right.
    Ellis is a convicted terrorist, convicted in our courts.

That's right.
    Ellis is a convicted terrorist, convicted in our courts.

And imo he should not be in our Dail.

Both :)

Ellis was never convicted for those murders.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

What has this got to do with Dessie Ellis? :confused:

It's to do with the hypocrites in our government who pick and choose which mass murderers they are mates with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Why don't they stay up in the North in the Stormont talking shop. They've no business in our parliament. The fcuking windup of this country altogether would be them getting into government down here. I betcha Arthur Griffth would spin in his grave if he could see what his party has become.

Advertisement