Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein TD Dessie Ellis linked to 50 IRA murders

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

*News Flash*
    Convinced terrorist involved in terrorist activities....

FG and FF were terrorist organisations too, our country has a long tradition of our elected reps having killed people. On one hand we shoudl be looking froward, on the other looking back. AH you double standard again. Be it savory r not this is our history.

Where To wrote: »
    Hi Keith.
    Hi keith :D

Please do not attempt to identify other posters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Sorry:o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Sorry Sexy ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Sorry whoopsa, Keith Richards just walked past my kitchen window, I must have typed that in shock.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Confab wrote: »
    I don't support Sinn Fein or the IRA at all, but Fine Gael started out as a terrorist organisation too. And Enda Kenny's responses to any of Sinn Fein's legitimate questions with 'ah sure you're just terrorists' is beyond pathetic. They are a legitmate political party with a growing presence in Ireland. It just shows how bad Kenny really is as a leader and also how poor his diplomatic skills really are.

We all have a past and we put our hands up to it. But what the IRA did and continue to do isn't a patch. Sinn Fein is still very much active and very recent within the IRA, compared with very old history on Fine Gael.

While the Irish don't seem to particular like Kenny, he is very good at this job and holds the office with pride unlike his predecessors. He is widely liked and respected throughout Europe, unlike his predecessors. But, I completely agree that while I think jabbing Sinn Fein "We are not in anyway associated with the IRA and had no hand in their killings. Oh and none of us were that strongly involved despite what other members say" is appropriate, its not appropriate to keep going back the same all response each and every time they challenge because their policies don't hold up much when analysed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Madam_X wrote: »
    Do you think that should be applied to e.g. Bloody Sunday though? It's not easy or even possible to just let go.

I'll be honest with you ~ I don't expect or necessarily want any one brought to trail for those murder's.. Although committed by an army of occupation at the time.

The country was in conflict and sh*t happened on all sides.

The dogs on the streets know Widgery was a white wash and dragging it all up now is just political point scoring (as is this story).

Just as with Dublin and Monaghan I'd like to see it all left in the past, it benefits you, me or 99% of the people of this country nothing to keep dragging the past up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

awec wrote: »
    Looking forward to hearing the calls for a public enquiry from the mouthy minority within republicanism. You know, those ones who want the truth...

Don't need one matey, they had a trial. He was acquitted. :)

• Administrators Posts: 53,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Bambi wrote: »

Don't need one matey, they had a trial. He was acquitted. :)
    But sure all that has to happen is for people to express their unhappiness that they didn't get the result they wanted and well have another one.

Surely those within republicanism who love these public enquiries aren't going to show themselves up as hypocrites and remain quiet on this one?

I mean they want the truth...don't they?!

Has he been tried against all 50 cases? Has millions and millions been spent to build a case against him? Have Sinn Fein leaders been hauled in front of committees for questioning?

It's much more of a relief to the British and Unionists I can assure you. Reputations, privilege, pensions, freedom to walk the streets etc are at stake.

Yes, Skeletons galore!

• Advertisement

Wee Marty must be getting an awful sweat on him these days too.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭EURATS

At the end of the day it is a British intelligence document..and that is all it is. The British also had intelligence documents indicating Iraq had WMD and all other sorts of rubbish to suit their agenda and facilitate the invasion of Iraq/Afghanistan..amongst other things!!

There is no doubt however that FG/Labour will lite on this intelligence like flies on sh1te(as we have seen already) in order to once again deflect from their miserable performance in government and the broken promises and downright lies they used to get into power.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

EURATS wrote: »
    At the end of the day it is a British intelligence document..and that is all it is. The British also had intelligence documents indicating Iraq had WMD and all other sorts of rubbish to suit their agenda and facilitate the invasion of Iraq/Afghanistan..amongst other things!!

There is no doubt however that FG/Labour will lite on this intelligence like flies on sh1te(as we have seen already) in order to once again deflect from their miserable performance in government and the broken promises and downright lies they used to get into power.

It seems these 'downright lies' and 'broken promises' are getting the country back on its feet. But, hey, lets not let government bashing get in the way of more negative press towards them.

Anytime a negative spotlight goes on Sinn Fein, the same nonsense is trotted out each and every time. "Oh, its just to deflect attention". This is a standard release of document that happens every 30 years. Even when Wikileaks associated Sinn Fein with the Norther Bank Robbery, somehow it was the Government who ensured the information was released to the media. When it was their expenses and they were ripping us off, it was the governments fault (as Mary Lou said, sure, nobody stopped him!).

How about Sinn Fein just man up, be honest, and go out and tell the Irish people "We did it because we wanted to fight for our country. Innocent people died along the way, which we regret. Yes, X Y and Z were part of murders and bombings. We regret this and like other parties in this house, we are moving on from our horrible past and we condemn such atrocities and ask that the IRA and related splinter groups immediately cease." instead of "We did nothing wrong, we are completely innocent, its a conspiracy by the Brits and this government to deflect attention from their own failings".

Maybe than people will move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

Sully wrote: »
    It seems these 'downright lies' and 'broken promises' are getting the country back on its feet. But, hey, lets not let government bashing get in the way of more negative press towards them.

Anytime a negative spotlight goes on Sinn Fein, the same nonsense is trotted out each and every time. "Oh, its just to deflect attention". This is a standard release of document that happens every 30 years. Even when Wikileaks associated Sinn Fein with the Norther Bank Robbery, somehow it was the Government who ensured the information was released to the media. When it was their expenses and they were ripping us off, it was the governments fault (as Mary Lou said, sure, nobody stopped him!).

How about Sinn Fein just man up, be honest, and go out and tell the Irish people "We did it because we wanted to fight for our country. Innocent people died along the way, which we regret. Yes, X Y and Z were part of murders and bombings. We regret this and like other parties in this house, we are moving on from our horrible past and we condemn such atrocities and ask that the IRA and related splinter groups immediately cease." instead of "We did nothing wrong, we are completely innocent, its a conspiracy by the Brits and this government to deflect attention from their own failings".

Maybe than people will move on.
    So you are a blueshirt and are just using this to have a go at the opposition then, glad you revealed your agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭EURATS

Back on its feet?...give me a few minutes while I strap on a nappy before I p1ss myself!!

GRMA wrote: »
    So you are a blueshirt and are just using this to have a go at the opposition then, glad you revealed your agenda.

My politics was never a secret on Boards.ie and is known by many. :) But, while I support many of their polices and government actions - I don't support them all and have happily without hesitation made my feelings known when I disagreed. Just like the automatic response trotted out to Sinn Fein, I don't think is right.

But hey, lets just focus on me to deflect from the main point at hand eh? Anything to distract people from the failings of Sinn Fein.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I didn't even need to open the thread to know the link was from the ****ing rag that is the Indo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

This is just a chance for people to display faux outrage and get the kicks in to SF

There's many a thread started on AH which if truth be told, serve as little more than low-level political propaganda for the Shinners.

By page five or so, you can be pretty sure most threads concerning NI will descend into an all too predictable circle-jerk, inhabited almost exclusively by those of a republican bent - the same names, making the same arguments ad infinitum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

How exactly was he linked? Like did he pull a trigger or was he linked in the way Americans think they're Irish via they're aunties 15th cousin second removed sister's pet goldfish they saw in a picture once?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

My politics was never a secret on Boards.ie and is known by many. :)

You better argue about that(FG policy stuff) on the Household charge thread, they'll love you there ;)

Anyway, any bets this time next year we'll see another "document" released from 1982 stating sensationalist claims without any proof in a court of law?

• Advertisement

gurramok wrote: »

You better argue about that(FG policy stuff) on the Household charge thread, they'll love you there ;)

Anyway, any bets this time next year we'll see another "document" released from 1982 stating sensationalist claims without any proof in a court of law?
    Well, seeing as they are released on a yearly basis... :rolleyes:

Brilliant how this is all dismissed out of hand because it doesn't suit the Sinn fein agenda. In fact brilliant is the wrong word, pathetic is more apt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Ah yes those secret internal communications, it must be true, all of it.

Well, seeing as they are released on a yearly basis... :rolleyes:

Brilliant how this is all dismissed out of hand because it doesn't suit the Sinn fein agenda. In fact brilliant is the wrong word, pathetic is more apt.
    f the British had the forensic evidence how come he wasnt charged, and how come he was acquitted of what he was charged of?

Your ilk are glossing over this.

Indo is a rag, and this is simply throwing muck at the wall

f the British had the forensic evidence how come he wasnt charged, and how come he was acquitted of what he was charged of?

Your ilk are glossing over this.

Indo is a rag, and this is simply throwing muck at the wall
    My ilk? Elaborate on that one.

Has he been acquitted of all 50 murders? If not, why don't we spend millions getting to the bottom of it so we can have the truth. Do the victims not deserve to know the truth in this case? If not, why not?

My ilk? Elaborate on that one.

Has he been acquitted of all 50 murders? If not, why don't we spend millions getting to the bottom of it so we can have the truth. Do the victims not deserve to know the truth in this case? If not, why not?
    Why wasn't he charged? If there was such convincing forensic evidence.

The British covering things up for him? How kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Ah yes those secret internal communications, it must be true, all of it.

Its official name is a ''dossier'' and it is no more than that .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

We all have a past and we put our hands up to it. But what the IRA did and continue to do isn't a patch. Sinn Fein is still very much active and very recent within the IRA, compared with very old history on Fine Gael.
    So you don't think the people of Northern Ireland should have moved on then?

Why wasn't he charged? If there was such convincing forensic evidence.

The British covering things up for him? How kind.
    Obviously haven't got the evidence yet, but we should spend millions on a public enquiry to get the evidence right? So we can get the truth? You are all for the truth, are you not?

Still haven't elaborated on my ilk either.

Obviously haven't got the evidence yet, but we should spend millions on a public enquiry to get the evidence right? So we can get the truth? You are all for the truth, are you not?

Still haven't elaborated on my ilk either.
    People with the same attitude/opinion as you obviously.

What do you mean "haven't got the evidence"? This is from 82, he was extradited a decade later. Plenty of time to charge him if they have such evidence that they can say he was involved with 50 murders.

They didn't charge him because they didn't have any evidence, this is obvious. Do you disagree?

Unless you think the British have covered this up like they did with Bloody Sunday and the murder of Patrick Finucaine?

• Advertisement

People with the same attitude/opinion as you obviously.

What do you mean "haven't got the evidence"? This is from 82, he was extradited a decade later. Plenty of time to charge him if they have such evidence that they can say he was involved with 50 murders.

They didn't charge him because they didn't have any evidence, this is obvious. Do you disagree?

Unless you think the British have covered this up like they did with Bloody Sunday and the murder of Patrick Finucaine?
    Is there evidence they covered up the murder of Finucane? If there is why hasn't anyone been charged? They've had plenty of time.

Why are there calls for an enquiry there?

Why do you think the Finucane family are entitled to an enquiry to get the truth and the families of these 50 victims aren't? What makes them more deserving? Why do you support burying the truth in this instance? Why don't you feel we solid spend millions on this one to get to the bottom of it, with the leaders of Sinn Fein and all other such groupings being hauled in for questioning and cross examination?

Advertisement