Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein TD Dessie Ellis linked to 50 IRA murders

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Confab wrote: »
    I don't support Sinn Fein or the IRA at all, but Fine Gael started out as a terrorist organisation too. And Enda Kenny's responses to any of Sinn Fein's legitimate questions with 'ah sure you're just terrorists' is beyond pathetic. They are a legitmate political party with a growing presence in Ireland. It just shows how bad Kenny really is as a leader and also how poor his diplomatic skills really are.

The point brought up in this post alone is worthy of not only a whole thread but a whole reflection of Irish history.

Where do we draw the line between "The Provos since the 1960's/70s" and the movement that a lot of boardsies grandparents were involved in in the guise of the "Old IRA".

So killing "Brits" in the 1920's was ok but doing so in the 1960's/70's/80's wasn't?

Why?

(I'm not stating a case for either scenario, and I realise the paradigm has shifted, but it's the "why has the paradigm shifted?" that I'm asking.

It makes more sense that, today it's not ok to kill Brits because the Nationalists in the North have a chance of equality, but in the 1960's, they had no chance of such, so why is there still such a difference between 60's/70's and, say 20's/30's?

Now the people in the North have a reason to be peaceful and try the political route, but the difference between the 60's and the 20's both South and North was much, much bigger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Biggins wrote: »
    Shush...

FG and Labour supporters alone don't want to hear or read the above.
    They just wish to gain another opportunity to get a dig in which might claw them back some support!

Yup, running around spewing any old hysterical bullsh*t.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Read above.

LINK

I'm well aware of the IRA apology. But that doesn't take away from Sinn Feins links which are being denied. And Dessie refusing to spill the beans until he leaves politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Yup, running around spewing any old hysterical bullsh*t.

Yeah hysterical. There are men in the Dáil who approved or who personally carried out the murder of children and aren't even man enough to admit it now because it would hurt their election chances. But god help you if you took a couple of grand in bribes to rezone a field somewhere...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

latenia wrote: »
    Yeah hysterical. There are men in the Dáil who approved or who personally carried out the murder of children ........

...the IRA deliberately targeted children? This is news to me. You've some more information about the incident?

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    ...the IRA deliberately targeted children? This is news to me. You've some more information about the incident?

I apologise. It's not their fault children were in a shopping centre on a weekend afternoon-there's no way they could have foreseen that.

I apologise. It's not their fault children were in a shopping centre on a weekend afternoon-there's no way they could have foreseen that.

So you're retracting your statement that "There are men in the Dáil who approved or who personally carried out the murder of children "? Good stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Sure they only set out to blow up some litter bins :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

War is a dirty business

So you're retracting your statement that "There are men in the Dáil who approved or who personally carried out the murder of children "? Good stuff.

Sarcasm? Exploding a bomb outside a McDonalds on a Saturday afternoon is targeting children. End of story. This would have been approved by Adams or McGuinness or both of them.
    About 30 minutes later, at about 12:25,[6][7][8][9] two bombs exploded on Bridge Street in Warrington. The blasts happened within a minute of each-other.[6] One exploded outside Boots and McDonalds, showering fifty children in the restaurant with glass,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrington_bomb_attacks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It wasn't a war. It was out and out criminality.

It wasn't a war. It was out and out criminality.

Ireland was invaded by GB, they took the country by force. The Irish fought back where there were British troops. That makes it a war.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Offy wrote: »
    War is a dirty business

Yeah right, could you imagine if that was Cameron's response to the Bloody Sunday or Finucane families.

Rascasse wrote: »
    Yeah right, could you imagine if that was Cameron's response to the Bloody Sunday or Finucane families.

You mean the murders that have been covered up for decades? So what do you call those cover-ups?

Sarcasm? (..........)_attacks

I'm sorry, but lets back track here a second. You stated "There are men in the Dáil who approved or who personally carried out the murder of children ". Are you saying that the IRA deliberately targeted children?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

So Charlie Flanagan is pushing and pushing.

I'd like to see Fine Gael / Labour politicians from the 1970s face questions from an independent truth commission about having let the Dublin and Monaghan bombers walk away scot-free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Border-Rat wrote: »
    Free state hypocrisy rage is strong in this thread.

When Republicans treat the south which such disdain as shown in this particular comment i genuinely wonder why they even have any support down here.

I'm sorry, but lets back track here a second. You stated "There are men in the Dáil who approved or who personally carried out the murder of children ". Are you saying that the IRA deliberately targeted children?
    Children and adults - they didn't discriminate when they placed a bomb outside a McDonalds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Yes they did Nodin. They bombed outside McDonalds, a place targeted(like the bomb) at children.

Your defence of the murderous scum is appalling.

I'm British and not afraid to apologise for atrocities carried out by our forces, why can't you condemn yours?

dvpower wrote: »
    Children and adults - they didn't discriminate when they placed a bomb outside a McDonalds.

What was said was quite specific.

• Advertisement

Ahhhh so if they target children AND adults its ok?

Here's what they said:
    IRA wrote:
    Responsibility for the tragic and deeply regrettable death and injuries caused
    in Warrington yesterday lies squarely at the door of those in the British
    authorities who deliberately failed to act on precise and adequate warnings

So, according to the IRA, they didn't target anyone at all. It was all the Brit's fault. Any normal person wouldn't buy this line of horse**** 'tho.

summerskin wrote: »

It happens in war, thats the way war is and getting angry about it changes nothing. SF are heroes in Ireland. Have you seen Anglia's Ashs? Thats what school in Ireland is like, the Brits are our enemy, the prods are our enemies and why is that? History is why.
    PS that history is still been written, stop writing it and maybe we will stop cheering on SF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

If we apply that logic to Bloody Sunday, since the Paras believed they were targetting IRA gunmen then surely thats ok as well. Im sure we'll all agree that neither were.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

"Brits" and "Prods". Says it all.

dvpower wrote: »
    Here's what they said:

So, according to the IRA, they didn't target anyone at all. It was all the Brit's fault. Any normal person wouldn't buy this line of horse**** 'tho.

Any normal person would have taken the threat seriously and not let their people get killed when they could have been saved but the Brits like to make martyrs even if it is women and children. As I see it the Brits that gave no warning were to blame as much as the people that planted the bomb.

Offy wrote: »

It happens in war, thats the way war is and getting angry about it changes nothing. SF are heroes in Ireland. Have you seen Anglia's Ashs? Thats what school in Ireland is like, the Brits are our enemy, the prods are our enemies and why is that? History is why.
    PS that history is still been written, stop writing it and maybe we will stop cheering on SF.

Anglia's Ashs? Is that Alan Partridge's new show?

As for the rest of your post, utter fücking búll****.

Anglia's Ashs? Is that Alan Partridge's new show?

As for the rest of your post, utter fücking búll****.

and yet we are on what page?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

SF heroes? :pac::pac::pac:
    Heroes to who?
    This thread is bringing some strange people out from under rocks.

• Advertisement

galwayrush wrote: »
    SF heroes? :pac::pac::pac:
    Heroes to who?
    This thread is bringing some strange people out from under rocks.

Hard to answer that one without knowing the names of everyone that votes for them.

Advertisement