Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grandouet

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dk6dk6

Fair enough. I will continue to post any relevant info I get here. I'm not on to them everyday or anything. I heard last nighy that their head lad there Corky, has had a massive ew bet on binocular after he schooled Friday. Maybe that set alarm bells ringing on Betfair and may have caused the drift. He idolises Binocular and Captain Conan seemingly.

Grandouet did work well Friday morning tho. A lot beetter than Monday when he got within 2L of Simonsig over 10f i think It was. But they're all of the opinion if Simonsig was in the champion hurdle he'd win easily. I actually have an antepost bet done on Simonsig for the champion hurdle from November on their advice. He didn't take to fences at all in the begining and they were going to go back over hurdles with him. But they gave him a week off and it worked a treat. Anyway that bet is long gone now but I suppose what i'm saying is that after his layoff he still worked ok with simonsig. He would have needed that run badly.

On Friday morning he worked much better and had a little blow after it which leads them to believe the 2 runs should put him bang there. They were pleased with him after yesterday. He is normally a very good work horse. Obviously the lack of a recent run is a concern but thats why they got 2 gallops into him at home. That's what I know. He didn't have a leg fall off or work terrible to cause that drift as some lads on twitter claimed.

After we see what Simonsig will do in the arkle that bit of work even last monday might look very good.
    Would you back grandouet at this stage pal, can't help but feel he's a standout eachway bet and I just can't believe Henderson fancies binocular over him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭ste2010

dk6dk6 wrote: »
    Would you back grandouet at this stage pal, can't help but feel he's a standout eachway bet and I just can't believe Henderson fancies binocular over him.
    I have say I've put probably my largest bet of the festival on grandouet..the fact NH suggests binocular has a better chance says it all to me..grandouet is obviously not ready OR NH is doing a grade A binocular style bluff and is lumping onto grandouet himself an his chronies.

I have no faith in him winning on Tuesday now after seeing that post about sandown.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Theborderfox81

dk6dk6 wrote: »

He's definately a standout ew bet all right. I have him done a few times to win at bigger prices. Up to the setback which caused him to miss a bit of work he was electric at home. He got back working again and I suppose they were a bit suprised as to how much he needed it. Friday was much better and he took a nice blow after it. Maybe that's where the doubts coming in. Taking a blow after his work. Two ways to look at it I suppose. Firstly time's run out for him or secondly that blow after a good gallop will put him bang on. My fella there thinks it should put him spot on. He cant have gone that far backwards in a matter of weeks. As regards Binocular, think the ground might be a bit more of a hinderance to him than Grandouet. I've lost too much on Binocular every time he's worked well at home to take heed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

I'm gonna say this now so in not accused of aftertiming but this thread is the same as the Hidden Cyclone thread, fair play to Huntley for starting it, horse obv has potential and he nailed his colours to the mast.

It's descended into farce the last month, people saying they are confident he can win, people making him there biggest bet of the festival and such comments.

The fact is the horse has ran once in 15 months, has historically not run well fresh, has been the subject of a big betfair drift and his claim to fame is a Punchestown juvenile grade 1 and an open grade 2.

He is stupidly short on what he has done. How this thread got so big is beyond me. He has exactly zero chance imo of winning this champion hurdle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭SRFC

^ +1

Just to add if the CH was ran on tuesday at Leopardstown id make HF a 1/3 shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I'm gonna say this now so in not accused of aftertiming but this thread is the same as the Hidden Cyclone thread, fair play to Huntley for starting it, horse obv has potential and he nailed his colours to the mast.

It's descended into farce the last month, people saying they are confident he can win, people making him there biggest bet of the festival and such comments.

The fact is the horse has ran once in 15 months, has historically not run well fresh, has been the subject of a big betfair drift and his claim to fame is a Punchestown juvenile grade 1 and an open grade 2.

He is stupidly short on what he has done. How this thread got so big is beyond me. He has exactly zero chance imo of winning this champion hurdle.

He finished ahead of last year's Champion Hurdle winner lto.
    Beaten 2 lengths by the current 2nd fav. Giving weight.
    He certainly isn't stupidly short. It's a fair price.

Zero chance!!!! That's a ridiculous statement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭SRFC

Hendersons assistant or whoever he is on the live preview there just said if he was to have only one entry for the ch it would be binocular not grandeout,im tempted to have a few quid on grandeout now with all this negative talk about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

If I had 2 horses in a race, both really well fancied. And was asked to pick one, I'd tell you the one I didn't fancy as much!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

What live preview?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Overthelast

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    What live preview?

http://cheltenham.olbg.com/preview/stream.php

Edit: BTW, the quality of the stream is shaight

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Huntley

It is easy to totally discount a horse when everything seems to have gone against him.

The horse has plenty of untapped potential, that is the exact reason why Mullins has said that he fears him most. I expect him to run a good race but off a slow pace his chances are significantly diminished. He essentially needs to win his race before the business end of proceedings. A fast pace that he can live with that would make others suffer like last year and he can be delivered late. A slower pace simply brings all those other horses that would be tapped for toe back into the mix and he will more than likely be outstayed.

I won't lose faith now and will probably back him anyway, but to win a Champion Hurdle you need things in your favour.

Geragthy's ATR Blog. Nice positive update on Grandouet

BARRY GERAGHTY
    GRANDOUET AND SIMONSIG PITCH PERFECT FOR THE FESTIVAL ROAR

Well, it’s here now and although this is my fifteenth Cheltenham Festival, I’ve never felt a bigger buzz than the one I’ve got at the moment.

I was going around the house singing on Monday morning before I got the afternoon flight. I know it’s all about the horses but from a personal standpoint I’m relieved to be going there in one piece and not carrying any knocks or little injuries – I'm 100%.

People ask me if I’m nervous but that’s not the right word to use. Excited, yes, but on the build up to that first race I’ll be very focused and nerves won’t be a thing. If I felt there was one creeping in then I’d soon brush it away.

My eye will be completely on the ball, you can’t be anxious and can’t let a “what if?” enter your head.

Also, I’ve been very close to the team at Seven Barrows in their build-up and I’ve seen and felt just how well they are – I’m very happy with their well-being.

The Stan James Champion Hurdle (3.20) is the big one on the opening day and I’m expecting a top-class performance from GRANDOUET.

He handled testing ground very well when we were second to Zarkandar in the International Hurdle at Cheltenham in December. We were beaten a couple of lengths but were trying to give the winner 4lb which isn’t the case now.

Although I haven’t ridden him at home recently I have seen him work and school and couldn’t have been any happier with the way he’s performed.

I’m expecting to be right in the action at the last and I have no doubt that he’ll fight his way up the hill.

But although it’s a small field it’s got plenty of quality with last year’s winner in place, Rock On Ruby, and the beaten favourite, Hurricane Fly.

It’s interesting that the reigning champion has blinkers and I’m not sure what to make of that but I’m sure that the one all of us have to beat is Hurricane Fly.

He didn’t have a clear run going into last year’s race and they weren’t happy with him but it’s all gone very smoothly this time.

And I’d also put in a good word for Binocular, the 2010 winner was fourth last year and looks an absolute picture at the moment but he’d appreciate better ground than he’s likely to get on the opening day.

The Racing Post Arkle Trophy Chase (2.05) is a really fascinating match up between my horse, SIMONSIG and the super-tough Overturn and it is one I’m relishing.

At this stage I'm really pleased with my lad both in terms of what he’s achieved over fences this season and how he is in himself right now.

Although he won last year’s Neptune over 2m 5f he’s fine over two miles over fences and he’s won on the type of ground he’s going to get in this.

I have a lot of respect for Overturn but I don’t think softer ground is going to play to his strengths and might make him vulnerable given his style of racing. Although people are saying that he had a higher rating than Simonsig over hurdles but they should remember that he was only a novice last season so never got a chance to show his full potential – he could have been in the Champion Hurdle field.

All being well, he’s going to take a lot of beating.

I start the Festival with RIVER MAIGUE in what I believe is the best William Hill Supreme Novices' Hurdle (1.30) that I can remember.

On the plus side, I’ve been getting rave reviews about how this lad has been performing and his well-being since his last run at Ascot when he was second.

He’s had a chequered run through the season and I was very impressed with him when he won at Kempton over Christmas but he definitely didn’t run to form at Ascot. Even allowing for the moderate pace, it still wasn’t him at anywhere near his best; he just didn’t give me the feel that he has in the past.

I’d be very hopeful of a top-class run but, as I said earlier, this is the best renewal of the Supreme in my time.

What My Tent Or Yours did in the Betfair Hurdle was unbelievable and his rating emphasises that. In any normal year, Jezki would be at the top of the market which tells you something because he’s destroyed everything put in front of him. Jessie Harrington was always going to have him fresh and fired up for the day. He's also a massive player.

And Un Atout is a horse that I’m mad about. I love the way he goes about the job and looks like he’s been coping with heavy ground but would appreciate better. He has the potential get involved too - it’s possible that you’ll be seeing a preview of next year’s Champion Hurdle!

I’m on J P McManus's second string in the JLT Specialty Handicap Chase (2.40), QUANTITATIVEEASING with A P going for Nadiya De La Vega but I’m hopeful of a decent performance.

I’d have been happier if the ground had been better because those conditions are suit him. But he does seem to be coming to himself and he has now dropped to 1lb lower than when we were last successful.

Like all the races here, this is extremely hard to call and I’d have respect for Our Mick who might be on a very handy mark.

My last ride of the day is UNE ARTISTE in the OLBG Mares Hurdle (4.40) when she has the difficult task of dethroning the reigning queen, Quevega.

However, I’m going into this with a very positive approach because once again you’ve got to take it on trust as to how the favourite is because we haven’t seen her since last April.

Her record is there in front of us but she’s a nine-year-old mare and nothing lasts forever and I feel that Une Artiste is on the way up and improving.

She loves this trip and the softer ground and is good at the track. She’s a good bit smarter than she was a year ago when she won the Fred Winter.

I haven’t been on her recently but I’ve see her perform at home and I’d be more than happy.

Lets hope we get a good start on the first of four fantastic days. My next blog will go online late on Tuesday night with my views on Wednesday, when I am set to partner Sprinter Sacre in the Queen Mother Champion Chase.

8/1 grandouet, fantastic each way price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

Huntley wrote: »
    It is easy to totally discount a horse when everything seems to have gone against him.

The horse has plenty of untapped potential, that is the exact reason why Mullins has said that he fears him most. I expect him to run a good race but off a slow pace his chances are significantly diminished. He essentially needs to win his race before the business end of proceedings. A fast pace that he can live with that would make others suffer like last year and he can be delivered late. A slower pace simply brings all those other horses that would be tapped for toe back into the mix and he will more than likely be outstayed.

I won't lose faith now and will probably back him anyway, but to win a Champion Hurdle you need things in your favour.

I would be disappointed if you lost faith in him now, 8/1 is a massive price and with the Powers offer it looks a real decent bet.

To be honest I would be surprised if it's as slow a pace as people seem to think, Zarkandar, Rock On Ruby or Countrywide Flame could all make it to improve their chances.

If Hurricane Fly doesn't get wound up at the start he will take all the beating.

Anyway good luck with Grandouet.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Huntley

hucklebuck wrote: »
    I would be disappointed if you lost faith in him now, 8/1 is a massive price and with the Powers offer it looks a real decent bet.

To be honest I would be surprised if it's as slow a pace as people seem to think, Zarkandar, Rock On Ruby or Countrywide Flame could all make it to improve their chances.

If Hurricane Fly doesn't get wound up at the start he will take all the beating.

Anyway good luck with Grandouet.

I haven't lost faith in his ability, I'm sceptical about him running to the best of his ability considering the conditions. If he can win a Champion Hurdle when everything seemingly has gone against him I would be pleasantly surprised.

I've no doubt he will run a decent race however.

I agree about HF but don't have that feeling of assurdness. I'd be happy to see him win but wouldn't back him personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

Inspite of the poxy weather my opinion hasn't changed, I would be very surprised if the first three aren't Zarakandar, HF and Grandouet.

As to the order it's purely down to how the race is run.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Just backed him at 9/1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

Wont be having a bet in the big one as have anti post for small money Cinders And Ashes.Just to put an extra stone on the back of Grandouet he is napped as the banker of Cheltenham by the worst tipster in history "tipping girl".An interesting stat I recently heard ,98.6% of professional tipsters lose their patrons money.The stick test was carried out at 10pm around the winning post and it went in very easy"very holding,tacky ground".The ground will not be heavy but I think good moving horses will struggle.Cheltenham to go ahead 35 mins late.

Geragthy just on ATR there. Positive. HF the one to beat. Said Simonsig beat him by 2L yesterday week but beat him by 10L before the international in December Said that wouldn't be the case on course. Simonsig not a good horse to make comparisons to either.

• Advertisement

Geragthy just on ATR there. Positive. HF the one to beat. Said Simonsig beat him by 2L yesterday week but beat him by 10L before the international in December Said that wouldn't be the case on course. Simonsig not a good horse to make comparisons to either.
    I honestly think he's a cracking bet at the prices now pal. Like I've said if anyone can name an 8/1 shot with a better chance of being placed this week than grandouet then I'd like to hear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

bit of cash for Grandouet on Betfair

Come on Grandouet.

Very strong now, 8.2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Ouch

Pity, would have been very interested to see how he'd have fared there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Awful shame. He looked to be cruising along nicely.

Robbed of a certain place I reckon.

Gutted. We'll never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Overthelast

Did he get up?

• Advertisement

That's jumps racing unfortunately, would be very interesting to see how he could have finished up the hill off the strong (almost suicidal pace). Tbh I think HF would have won but surely Grandouet would have been in the 3 unless he blew up

FWIW seeing how heavily backed he was that's probably unlikely through fitness but he was lit up very early

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement