Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grandouet

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

That's jumps racing unfortunately, would be very interesting to see how he could have finished up the hill off the strong (almost suicidal pace). Tbh I think HF would have won but surely Grandouet would have been in the 3 unless he blew up

FWIW seeing how heavily backed he was that's probably unlikely through fitness but he was lit up very early

We'll never know now but I think Grandouet would have been putting HF under the most pressure out of any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Theborderfox81

I'm sick. He moved like a dream. I think he'd have gone very very close.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭SRFC

Dont think he'd have gotten anywhere other than 2nd,to beat hf it would have been the performance of a lifetime.

Gutted too. Thought he was going very well.

But they are there to be jumped.....

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GALWAYINDOOR

Do paddy powers give money back on him ? With hurricane fly winning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Do paddy powers give money back on him ? With hurricane fly winning

They will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

He's been on the floor a lot for a hurdler hasn't he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Overthelast

NH horses can fall. It's the nature of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Huntley

No complaints but would have been interesting to see had he got around. Don't think he would have beaten the deserving winner however.

Need to look at the sectionals but on first glance I think they may have gone faster then last year, which ultimately led to the horses up front suffering in the end. HF never looked the winner until the bottom of the hill, a more sustained pace would have been more beneficial a la 2012. He definitely doesn't want that searing gallop though, struggled to race with it until they came back to him, which I suspect was a pace collapse from going too fast.

It would have been a travesty for Zarkandar to win a Champion Hurdle. Ultimately he was just too slow.

Rock on Ruby ran a gallant race and showed he was no fluke winner in 2012. I suspect it was a searing gallop that collapsed, need to look at sectionals to confirm but that was my first impression.

Think Grandouet could go chasing next year. A heartbreaking horse to follow though. May never get to realise his full potential at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

I presume Grandouet stood up after his fall?

• Advertisement

Yeah, pretty sure I saw him galloping down the track when they were coming down the hill.

NH horses can fall. It's the nature of the game.

I understand that, but he's been on the floor 3 times now in his short career, once maybe no his fault. It's unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Theborderfox81

Listening to some here the horse was extremely lucky to make it to the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Close this thread....it's much ado about nothing now!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Arctic89

Huntley wrote: »
    No complaints but would have been interesting to see had he got around. Don't think he would have beaten the deserving winner however.

Need to look at the sectionals but on first glance I think they may have gone faster then last year, which ultimately led to the horses up front suffering in the end. HF never looked the winner until the bottom of the hill, a more sustained pace would have been more beneficial a la 2012. He definitely doesn't want that searing gallop though, struggled to race with it until they came back to him, which I suspect was a pace collapse from going too fast.

It would have been a travesty for Zarkandar to win a Champion Hurdle. Ultimately he was just too slow.

Rock on Ruby ran a gallant race and showed he was no fluke winner in 2012. I suspect it was a searing gallop that collapsed, need to look at sectionals to confirm but that was my first impression.

Think Grandouet could go chasing next year. A heartbreaking horse to follow though. May never get to realise his full potential at this rate.

Surely he's not a good enough jumper to go chasing? Or do you think he might show more respect to a fence than he does to hurdles?

Don't know if I agree with your assessment of his chances if he had have completed though. He might not have had enough for Hurricane Fly, but I'd have been very surprised if he was behind Rock on Ruby and I thought he was travelling very sweetly before he fell.

Arctic89 wrote: »
    Surely he's not a good enough jumper to go chasing? Or do you think he might show more respect to a fence than he does to hurdles?

He fences his hurdles. Has the attributes of a chaser, plenty of size and scope there.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dk6dk6

U laughed at his form compared to zarkanders and said he had zero chance, be honest if he stood up he would been 2nd at te very worst and personally I believe would have won. Was cruising when he came down but jumping is part of the game.

Close this thread....it's much ado about nothing now!
    Why would we do that?

The lads going on about match bets with zarkandar will have done their dough today should have taken ye up on it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

dk6dk6 wrote: »
    U laughed at his form compared to zarkanders and said he had zero chance, be honest if he stood up he would been 2nd at te very worst and personally I believe would have won. Was cruising when he came down but jumping is part of the game.

We'll never know. He was very keen early & had skyed a few hurdles. If there were fitness doubts as well (the way he was backed suggests there may not have been) he may have folded coming up the hill, or at least not have had as much left to get past RoR. RoR is as game as they come, I don't think you can say he definitely would've done anything

I'm hoping he travels to Punchestown. Fry said after the race if RoR runs again he goes there too. As will HF I assume all being well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭ste2010

We wil see at punchestown raging he never got to run his race. Nicer price awaiting

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

At the time he came down I thought he was looking like the winner(Hurricane Fly looked in trouble at that stage though) but it's hard to know what would have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭ste2010

If that's him with no prep then hurricane fly has another horse to be concerned about

ste2010 wrote: »
    We wil see at punchestown raging he never got to run his race. Nicer price awaiting

Whatever his chance today backing him or anything to beat Hurricane Fly in Ireland is throwing good money after bad.

Give it up lads this thing wont be winning any grade ones,hes living off that grade 2 international win against overturn and brampour ffs,he has never beaten zarkandar anytime they've met and today shows he zarkandar is no good,well beaten into 4th today,excuse after excuse for the horse just admit defeat lads he's a decent hurdler no world beater and very fragile,I mean sam winner destoryed him one time and where is he running this week? in a handicap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I'm sick. He moved like a dream. I think he'd have gone very very close.

I think it's a big leap of faith to say he wouldve gone very close. He traveled like he always does, and he's not found much at times in the past. That was not far past halfway either, way too early to say. If he had never fell before then maybe this could be seen as a hard luck story. However, he's hit the deck in the past, and hurdling is a huge part of the game as shown by the winner. Might make a decent chaser but times running out. I'd be very surprised if he got past HF in Punchestown, but I do hope he comes over

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭droidman123

wonder what price he was in running just before he came down? anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

ste2010 wrote: »
    If hurricane fly is 1/2 , rock on ruby is 4-1 and grandouet is 7-1 in the rabobank what's your state of play?

All over HF. He's a 1/3 shot, 6/1 the other pair

We'll never know. He was very keen early & had skyed a few hurdles. If there were fitness doubts as well (the way he was backed suggests there may not have been) he may have folded coming up the hill, or at least not have had as much left to get past RoR. RoR is as game as they come, I don't think you can say he definitely would've done anything

I'm hoping he travels to Punchestown. Fry said after the race if RoR runs again he goes there too. As will HF I assume all being well
    Just my opinion would have been 2 nd at worst and honestly believe he would have won because dey wer almost all at it when he came down.

• Advertisement

SRFC wrote: »
    Give it up lads this thing wont be winning any grade ones,hes living off that grade 2 international win against overturn and brampour ffs,he has never beaten zarkandar anytime they've met and today shows he zarkandar is no good,well beaten into 4th today,excuse after excuse for the horse just admit defeat lads he's a decent hurdler no world beater and very fragile,I mean sam winner destoryed him one time and where is he running this week? in a handicap.
    Stop talking constant ****e please, you're notorious for it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement