Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA 2k13

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Must be up to 10 users now?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Think I may head into the city tomorrow and pick this up. Anyone know the likely cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Very frustrated with the game. Half way into a game vs the CPU. 100% of their points are in the paint. I switched my defensive strategy to be "lock down paint" and it hasn't made a difference at all. They seem to dribble by me at will. On the occasions where they don't dribble, none of the CPU cuts to the basket are tracked and it's a pass into an unmarked man for an easy layup. Four times my AI defense has given away fouls from layups resulting in 3 point plays, which is incredibly frustrating. Get the value out of the foul, block the shot or don't contest it, anything but give them another easy 3 point play.

Zero offense rebounds, 100% of points given away in the paint and not being able to get near the basket myself is a bad, bad combination. I can't even get next or near the paint as the CPU tracks my dribbles with pinpoint accuracy. Completely restricted to long range jumpers.

I'm dreadful at this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Rooney10 wrote: »
    Very frustrated with the game. Half way into a game vs the CPU. 100% of their points are in the paint. I switched my defensive strategy to be "lock down paint" and it hasn't made a difference at all. They seem to dribble by me at will. On the occasions where they don't dribble, none of the CPU cuts to the basket are tracked and it's a pass into an unmarked man for an easy layup. Four times my AI defense has given away fouls from layups resulting in 3 point plays, which is incredibly frustrating. Get the value out of the foul, block the shot or don't contest it, anything but give them another easy 3 point play.

Zero offense rebounds, 100% of points given away in the paint and not being able to get near the basket myself is a bad, bad combination. I can't even get next or near the paint as the CPU tracks my dribbles with pinpoint accuracy. Completely restricted to long range jumpers.

Get to the 3 point line
    Stop
    Press right on the D-pad
    Press B to get (insert player name) to post up
    Pass into post
    Back down player
    Points in the paint

Think I may head into the city tomorrow and pick this up. Anyone know the likely cost?

€39.99 new in Gamestop I think.

How are you defending? I find the best way to defend is to pick a guard and stick to him, he is your assignment and let the CPU take on the CPU in the paint. If you go around switching players you get a second or so delay in the switch and the CPU can breeze past. So stick to a man and try to contest every shot. Another thing you can try is defensive assignments, before the game you press Start for lineup and start again for defensive assignments, if they have players you know are going to cause trouble, set whoever is guarding them to "play tight" both on and off ball, they should have less space.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Must be up to 10 users now?
    13 atm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Carroller

If we're doing a second season with all involved we should start over with a new draft so everyone can be more involved with how they manage their team and what players they pick!

Yeah I don't mind doing another draft, it's half the fun anyway! We'll tackle that obstacle when we come to it, but at this point does anybody have any suggestions thoughts on how the league is being run? Everything ok?

Also, anyone thinking of joining don't be put off by doing another draft, if you join now you can get some good practise in and have a good chance of making the playoffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Just won my first game there against the warriors :)

A draft for the next season would be fun alright, I wouldn't have much idea of who to pick though :pac:

Yeah I don't mind doing another draft, it's half the fun anyway! We'll tackle that obstacle when we come to it, but at this point does anybody have any suggestions thoughts on how the league is being run? Everything ok?

Also, anyone thinking of joining don't be put off by doing another draft, if you join now you can get some good practise in and have a good chance of making the playoffs!
    Whether we continue on or have a new draft I don't mind either way,I would literally draft the exact same squad again if I was in the same position.

Everything A-ok league wise,good job Mikey.I do wonder how people are finding the fixtures,like is the game speed too fast/slow/just fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Got it, only played one game so far against a buddy. Can't defend for ****, or do anything really. Its was really fun, can't wait to put more time into it.

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    Whether we continue on or have a new draft I don't mind either way,I would literally draft the exact same squad again if I was in the same position.

Everything A-ok league wise,good job Mikey.I do wonder how people are finding the fixtures,like is the game speed too fast/slow/just fine

I wouldn't let autodraft take two PG's with my 2nd and 3rd picks this time!!! :p

Nah seriously my team is nearly perfect.

The only thing I regret is missing my first two picks! Would have never chose a C as my first pick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Betty Swallocks 83

Im having serious problems with my connection. Im getting disconnected almost every game I play. Eircom are awful. Will see how I get on for another few games but might have to knock the league on the head as Its driving everyone mad.

Damn, my game against the Spurs got simmed. I was looking forward to a user game as I've had 7 or 8 CPU games so far (at least I got my first user game a few mins ago anyways).
    How are you defending? I find the best way to defend is to pick a guard and stick to him, he is your assignment and let the CPU take on the CPU in the paint. If you go around switching players you get a second or so delay in the switch and the CPU can breeze past. So stick to a man and try to contest every shot. Another thing you can try is defensive assignments, before the game you press Start for lineup and start again for defensive assignments, if they have players you know are going to cause trouble, set whoever is guarding them to "play tight" both on and off ball, they should have less space.

Yep, I usually just pick one of the guards and stick with them. Doesn't seem to be clicking though.

Is it best not to contest some shots? Like clear dunks/layups? I usually end up giving the foul away and the guy ends up finishing the shot.

A new draft would be great. The Trail Blazers have a pretty good team. I doubt I can pick a better one because I don't know a lot of the players, but I'd say the fantasy draft is one of the best parts of the season.
    Im having serious problems with my connection. Im getting disconnected almost every game I play. Eircom are awful. Will see how I get on for another few games but might have to knock the league on the head as Its driving everyone mad.

Connection seemed ok for our game. A little laggy, but nothing ridiculous. Are you getting disconnected from xbox live every 20 mins or so? There are 3 timers you can change so you only get disconnected every 3 hours which is more reasonable. I had Eircom before, and it used to drive me bat sh*t crazy. Alternatively you can connect any cheapish router to the Eircom modem and it'll solve it.

Loki we need to play that game soon before it'd gets dimmed when you around? It'll prob be simmed before tonight!!!

I thought I was getting a hang of the game last night. I was beating the Pistons by around 15 points or so at the end of the third quarter. It was the first game I felt sort of comfortable in.....

Then in 4th I shot 14% from the field and barely held on :o

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭raze

Stay closer to the hoop than the man you're guarding. If you have three defence positioning arrow showing on the icon of the player you're controlling you can afford to be far enough away for two arrows to be showing. If they try to drive past you use combinations of LT, RT with right stick and left stick. Move freely until the contact comes, when you're touching your man hold LT to auto contest the shot, keep holding it to foul. If there's no shot and the dribble is still live release LT immediately and tap RT to reposition closer to the hoop again. If holding both LT and RT for better lateral movement on defence use the right stick in the direction your opponent is likely to go to get a better first step to keep up with him (don't guess wrong on this).

If you're run off a screen switch control to whoever is closest until you've stopped the movement of the ball - then prioritise fixing your defensive rotation (switching back defensive assignments without leaving anyone open too long). You need some help defence, but switching will cause mismatches and easy points.

Don't rely on giving your team instructions. AI coaches give their own instructions at time outs, your defensive strategy only works until the next stoppage of play.

Simple instructions like lock down the paint do work, but after the next timeout the CPU will go to the outside shot because it's more open, or you'll have substitutions that break your one to one match ups. A balanced defence always works better than a focussed one.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭raze

There is a key thing that makes defence much easier - under controller settings in options you can adjust a slider for defensive assistance. This should be zero. All it does is make it take longer for your player to react to the direction you press on the left stick. It doesn't provide any actual assistance, it slows you down.

Also, you don't want to leave auto contest shots set to on. Much better to set it to "Intense-D". If you contest everything then all someone has to do to get by you is pass and pump fake, your player will set their feet to attempt to block and then they can run by you. Much better to keep control, and intense d just means you'll still be able to leave the CPU to time the block attempt by holding LT. You won't get many blocks unless you're much taller because your player doesn't jump like when you press Y, but you'll make most players miss and you can contest the rebound.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,081 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Carroller wrote: »
    Loki we need to play that game soon before it'd gets dimmed when you around? It'll prob be simmed before tonight!!!

ah i can play after the football if it's not simmed? Will go on now if there's a rush though?

• Advertisement

I'm due to play Bobcats and Celtics so give me a shout if you see me online and want some easy wins :pac:

(edit: king0sh - Nuggets)

Liam O wrote: »
    ah i can play after the football if it's not simmed? Will go on now if there's a rush though?

Only home from work not sure if its been simmed yet but can you do 11

Anybody else getting the "Failed to communicate with server" error?

Looks like bad news. Basically this is a problem with 2K, where nobody can access the league, could be for a day, could be for a week, could never get back in.

On my other franchise this also happened, it took about 5 days. Now, I could be over-reacting and it could just be a problem for me at the mo (actually just checked and its the same for Carroller), but it looks the exact same, so if that's the case, I'll give it a week from today (Thursday) and if it's not back by then we'll scrap it and start a new one. If it takes more than a few days then games will be simmed that we cant get back, so hopefully we get it back asap.

****ty situation I know, but not much we can do.

As long as we can keep a user-ish active association going I'm happy!

Yep I had that problem tonight too.

Is it that ppl can't log into the league or that they can't play games within the league?
    I can log in alright,no games to play though bar the trailblazers.
    So when would suit you Trailblazers?

Must be back working now so because last night I couldn't log in to the league at all.

Liam o your hardly around in the next 3 hours :P we have less than 4 hours to play our match

Ah cool it must be back. Good news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Penguins Haooo (Thunder) are you around to play our game?

Advertisement