Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA 2k13

Options
  • 05-10-2012 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

Anyone seen a good price for this? bricks and mortar preferrably, wouldn't mind picking it up tonight or tomorrow. Can't see it for PC anywhere, I thought Steam would have it, so I will have to go PS3 instead.

54.99 on Smyths website. If anyone sees a price for it in Tescos or Xtravision, could ya post it here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,484 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Nba 2k is always hard/expensive to get on release. If I see it cheap il let ya know. Im gonna wait for the new year when play will end up selling it for 20 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

€50 in GameStop I seen

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭raze

I've seen it around the €50 mark - €49.99 Gamestop Stephen's Green, €47.99 HMV Grafton.

I picked it up yesterday and got the All Star DLC - I must have been wrong to think that was only if you'd pre-ordered it.

Balls, I said I wouldn't get it this year as Fifa 13 would keep me going but Chris Smoove has done it again and made me want to get it! The new signature skills sound class and it seems My Player is actually fun this year as it just frustrated me the last few years. Legends training camp is class as well. Mad to try it now but so broke.

How's everyone finding it so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭danwhite88

Do places still take trade ins? Have 5 or 6 games that I don't use that would look to trade in for this.

• Advertisement

danwhite88 wrote: »
    Do places still take trade ins? Have 5 or 6 games that I don't use that would look to trade in for this.

Yupp, you could ring hmv, gamestop and xtravision and ask them for prices as they can greatly vary sometimes. Then go with the place who will give you most credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Nba 2k is always hard/expensive to get on release. If I see it cheap il let ya know. Im gonna wait for the new year when play will end up selling it for 20 euro

This. I'm gonna do this.

How's everyone finding it so far?

It's average. The single player has quite a few minor issues, not worth complaining about on their own, but they all add up because you'll see them every game. But, there's been one patch already and more will come.

However, online is the worst I remember in the last three games - nothing has been improved so all the cheap tactics of yesteryear are back, with worse lag.

I'm enjoying the game and a lot of things might get better, but I played 2k11 and 2k12 for twelve months apiece - and this one as it stands will probably drop out of the rotation in a lot less time.

Thanks Raze, did you play much My Player? The worst thing I found about previous ones were how your team mates were awful, could barely make a layup and other poor AI actions. Also, if you don't use icon passing, it was too easy to throw a bad pass. Videos I'm watching people say these are all improved but still not sure. If I get this, I'll be trading Sleeping Dogs to get it which I really don't want to get rid of. hhhmmmmm

did you play much My Player?

Nope, haven't started a MyPlayer mode as of yet. The passing has changed a bit - the bounce pass has pros and cons (holding LT/L2 as you pass), very easy to throw a bad pass into the post, but potential to give a good pass if there's movement in the lane. I haven't played enough to be any way effective at judging when to use it.

The icon passing is a bit better (note, not improved) in you can't make severe adjustments to where the other player will receive the ball, especially if they're not currently moving - but AI players don't make a beeline for the paint so passing on the break is more effective.

However, the whole game feels skewed toward fast break - as if every team is set up to ignore transition defence and storm up the court as early as possible, to the detriment of boxing out, defensive rebounding. It can get very, very boring defending a fast break and forcing a bad shot from the other team when that's only half the battle because the loose ball isn't rebounded and you watch an easy second chance point go in because the AI doesn't want anything to do with winning possession.

On the positive side, the plays teams run seem to be more fluid. Some plays feel broken if they're not run with the appropriate timing - but if you screw them up and have it set to auto-call the offense then it goes straight into a different play. AI players look like they have to work to come off off-ball screens, and the timing of passing is more important and more interesting/rewarding because icon passing has been tweaked.

AI teammates on offense make a habit of going under the basket and waiting a second for a pass if you dribble to the elbow - and it's almost glitchy how easy it is to beat any AI team by only doing that because the AI always fails to properly contest the quick shot if you time the pass correctly.

All in all, the game is worth the price of admission - lot of fun to be had, and it's usually pretty hard to find a few weeks after release. Also the price doesn't drop enough - 2k12 is €30 second hand in HMV Grafton St now, so the new one could be full price until after Christmas, until it's out of stock essentially.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info Raze, I think I'm gonna trade a game and get this today.

Got this and gave My Career a lash. Made My Player, and gave the Rookie Show case a go. At the end of the 1st half, my PG had no points, no steals, no assists and one rebound. I missed every shot, even wide open mid range! My jump shot looked really awkard so maybe I picked a bad one but there was no shot indicator to tell me if it was my fault or my rating, better turn that on.

The new shot/dribble stick is a balls to get used to, I kept shooting when I wanted to dribble and vice versa. I quit out of it and will practice a bit first before starting My Career!

Also, I can't find a camera I am comfortable with. I usually use 2K, run up court on attack and the camera flips on defense but the flip is very annoying, had to turn it off and spent a lot of the game trying different angles.

Anyone here recommend a good camera?

Got this and gave My Career a lash. Made My Player, and gave the Rookie Show case a go. At the end of the 1st half, my PG had no points, no steals, no assists and one rebound. I missed every shot, even wide open mid range! My jump shot looked really awkard so maybe I picked a bad one but there was no shot indicator to tell me if it was my fault or my rating, better turn that on.

The new shot/dribble stick is a balls to get used to, I kept shooting when I wanted to dribble and vice versa. I quit out of it and will practice a bit first before starting My Career!

Also, I can't find a camera I am comfortable with. I usually use 2K, run up court on attack and the camera flips on defense but the flip is very annoying, had to turn it off and spent a lot of the game trying different angles.

Anyone here recommend a good camera?

I'm having the exact same problem.

The timing of the jump shot is definitely different than last year.
    Last year I found the perfect release was at the highest point, now it seems to be a fraction of a second after as you're coming back down.

I think I've scored around 10 points in 5 games and most were free throws.
    I'm getting some assists and rebounds alright, but like every other year I give my opponent so many easy scores whereas on attack I'm bumping into players left, right and centre. I still can't get my head around how to actually defend properly.

Had/having the same problems with the new controls as well, trying to adjust to using square as holding L2 is just too awkward.

As for the camera I've always used a side view(for both modes), I think this has always been to my detriment as anyone who has tips videos on Youtube seems to use the behind the shoulder view.
    I just don't like the look of it, but might just give it a go :(

I was reading other people having the same problems with the jumpshot and apparently the 'Steve Nash' jumpshot works best. When you release at the highest point, it should go in most times even though the indicator says its an early release. I'm gonna try it tonight and see. Also reading other people complaining about the 2k camera this year and how Turbo Camera works better.

I picked an Athletic PG, like last year but his shooting stats are abysmal, 50's and low 60's but my overall rating 80. Bit high for a rookie I think. I might make another guy and pick Shooting PG.

I saw a NBA2K My Life facebook app as well that you perform actions in it like stupid farmville but gives you VC to use in NBA 2K13. Theres an IOS app that gives you VC as well.

I just tried that facebook app and got 550 VC. This will come in very handy building up VC when I'm not at home

https://apps.facebook.com/nbamylife/

Alright, went through the tutorials (it says to use square for all shooting drills) and then gave the Rookie Showcase another go with my athletic PG. Completely different story this time. Finished witha 'Good' B rating with 6 points and 14 assists. Got drafted to the Mavs at 17th pick, hopefully I can take Kidd's empty slot fairly fast.

I prefer the shot stick but will stick to the square button for the time being. Your team mate AI is much better this year, they actually make lapyups after you give an assist. Fifa 13 officially got dropped!

Alright, went through the tutorials (it says to use square for all shooting drills) and then gave the Rookie Showcase another go with my athletic PG. Completely different story this time. Finished witha 'Good' B rating with 6 points and 14 assists. Got drafted to the Mavs at 17th pick, hopefully I can take Kidd's empty slot fairly fast.

I prefer the shot stick but will stick to the square button for the time being. Your team mate AI is much better this year, they actually make lapyups after you give an assist. Fifa 13 officially got dropped!

I've switched camera since my last post and it definitely has its advantages.

I'm going to hazard a guess and say it's the stock camera for most players because: it makes carrying the ball as the PG easier and you don't give as many wayward passes around the perimeter.
    You are slightly impeded when trying to pass out after a collapse though but the pros outweigh the cons.

I'm doing pretty well now, I usually get around [6 points, 4 rebounds, 8 assists, 1 steal] give or take each side of those figures.
    Scoring is still a problem though I've upped my mid range to 79 and even with the poor release its starting to drop.

My main issues with the game are long term and have been there since 11.
    It reminds me of clubs in FIFA with the other team using an AI ANY ( in that the AI doesn't fall for any fake shots, or body movements etc) I just can't get any clear as day open shots.
    The AI tracks you everywhere while you're running around getting bumped all over the place.
    Reverse the roles and the AI can just duck in the back for an easy pass and finish.
    It's extremely frustrating getting penalised for the AI scoring when it can score any time it chooses.
    Whereas when I'm on attack with my PG I just can't get an opening to drive to the basket.

It's a bit of a catch 22, in FIFA you can flat out avoid playing the AI as the online will suffice.
    That's not really an option here for a few reasons(lack of teams to pick since people won't move past 2nd ranked, people can grief easier I had a lad pause and use replays for his entire 2:40 countdown timer yesterday :rolleyes:, gulf in class can be far bigger).

So you're kind of forced to make use of the offline modes, but scoring the same shots each time can get a bit boring, I'd love to see the AI mess up on defence just like I do. :(....

And finally...one thing I'm REALLY hating.
    The play vision when I'm not the PG does NOT work.
    Every single game I've to turn it back on even though it says in the main menu settings I have it done.
    I also have the CPU ''run plays'' so when I'm moved to SG for Rondo I should be seeing icons on the ground like in previous instalments.
    I might be able to get some open looks if they weren't broke

I have the exact same problem with Play Vision. I turn it on and make it Full vision instead of lite but I can't seem to save the options. I tried this in the main my player menu as well and can't seem to save the options. Apparently 2K are aware of it and gonna fix it but I don't know how official that is.

Yeah, the AI is too good on offense plus it's very hard to defend. My first nba game, I was marking Kobe, what an absolute balls. He was pulling off incredible shots and I could barely string a play together. Also the Offensive rebounds really really need to be fixed by 2K. My C and PF both under the basket and jump for a rebound and some one on offense always seems to beat them to it and make the basket. I have found skill moves as PG to be effective as I have gotten past a few guys using it but I'm usually not expecting it to happen and don't finish properly because I try to shoot with the stick instead of square.

Much preferred the old skil move system but a lot of people prefer the new one, I spose it just takes getting used to.

One thing tho, I have given up what my grade score is and enjoying the game more. I play better as well when not worrying about what i'm doing to improve my grade.

That facebook game is well addictive and nice to earn some VC as well.

I have the exact same problem with Play Vision. I turn it on and make it Full vision instead of lite but I can't seem to save the options. I tried this in the main my player menu as well and can't seem to save the options. Apparently 2K are aware of it and gonna fix it but I don't know how official that is.

Yeah, the AI is too good on offense plus it's very hard to defend. My first nba game, I was marking Kobe, what an absolute balls. He was pulling off incredible shots and I could barely string a play together. Also the Offensive rebounds really really need to be fixed by 2K. My C and PF both under the basket and jump for a rebound and some one on offense always seems to beat them to it and make the basket. I have found skill moves as PG to be effective as I have gotten past a few guys using it but I'm usually not expecting it to happen and don't finish properly because I try to shoot with the stick instead of square.

Much preferred the old skil move system but a lot of people prefer the new one, I spose it just takes getting used to.

One thing tho, I have given up what my grade score is and enjoying the game more. I play better as well when not worrying about what i'm doing to improve my grade.

That facebook game is well addictive and nice to earn some VC as well.

I don't mind having to turn it on each game but it's grinding me when it doesn't work at all when I'm not PG, I'm just moving around like a headless chicken getting bumped trying to find some space.

I can beat a user with the skills and sometimes even find a small bit of space against the AI, but I can't breeze past before a second player comes so I'm always forced to dish it off whereas Rondo can just run it the whole way through for a lay up. My speed and quickness are both 88-89 so that should be enough to get by the odd time :(

I tried the app after you posted it but I quit it after about 2mins, wasn't for me. Plus I saw no option to link it to my PSN.

Anyway if you want an easier way to get VC the quickest way is to do an offline 1v1 blacktop game.
    I saw it in one of Smoove's vids.
    Pick Richardson and Young(no scrolling needed) and just shoot straight away with Richardson, then just let Young score.
    You'll get to 21 in a minute or two and get 150.
    The problem with that is you can't do a rematch for another 150(the two times it gave me nothing) and sometimes when I quit out and go straight back in I just get 10 the next game. So what I do now is play a career game then quit out and get the 150.

I'm loving it overall but not sure how much of that is to do with switching my camera angle.
    I've only skipped to one Key game and have played through the rest only quitting out once whereas in previous years I was skipping a lot and quitting games regularly when going poor .
    The AI are much improved in terms of scoring as it used to wreck my head in previous year when a good AI player would consistently miss on my assists. I'm not sure did this improve over time as I never actually finished a season before.
    But from the off this year I'm getting plenty of assists from Garnett and Bass(we don't really have a 3 pointer to hit on the perimeter though so most assists are from those two as Rondo never shoots from even mid range)

• Advertisement

Yeah, last year I didn't even finish a season with the amount of rage quitting I was doing. This year is less frustrating as the AI can actually finish layups, thank God for the big score you get for assists. I will def try that blacktop if i'm stuck for VC.

I went back to using 2K camera and found it good to now and keep it to running up the court on offense and down the court on defense, no flipping needed but I have to manually reverse it after the first half.

There is and ios and android app (only released on android last 2 days) that is free and gets you vc. Looks much better than the FB app but doesn't work on my galaxy ace. I'd say give it a go if you have a good phone

mynba2k

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

hows this game online? thinking of trading in fifa 13 for it
    havnt black nba 2k game since 08 ha

saiint wrote: »
    hows this game online? thinking of trading in fifa 13 for it
    havnt black nba 2k game since 08 ha

I certainly would never advocate buying one of these games to play solely online.

I'm not saying that from the POV of someone who likes playing the AI in general, I play 100% of my FIFA hours online and would find it awful boring playing it against the AI.

But you can get good play time out of NBA against the AI. I don't know what the difference is, but playing the AI in football just feels far more cheap and repetitive.
    The difference with the online is, you need that unpredicatable factor in football playing a real user.
    Whereas in 2K, if someone is playing like a complete chump and just shootings 3s all game or driving with Lebron, you can be powerless to stop it even knowing their exact course of attack.

So online can be pretty headwrecking.
    You'll have games where you trounce someone to an early quit, and others where you get hammered, some where you're playing the proper basketball but losing to someone who spams the same move while you're missing open shots since you don't know your players jump shot timing(every player is dfferent, so you somewhat need to practice with a particular team or you'll lose off the bat with them).

There's a pretty steep learning curve with this game.
    They did improve the training camp in that you can now pick out a particular part, skip to it and repeat it as much as you want(last year you would have had to do the whole bunch. So in post play, there might be 16 moves and you'd to start at 1 and work up only getting one attempt if succesful. And in 2011 there was no tutorials at all) but there's a lot to take in and the best way to get used to it would be through playing MYPLAYER(especially if you're not 100% sure of what/where and when to do it with each position) using play vision to get a feel for what works in a play and what not to do.
    Sadly playvision is broke on the PS3 at the minute so when you're not the PG you're left just wondering around looking for space with the AI tracking you like...well AI.

So all in all I wouldn't recommend on buying it for online only.
    Unless you want to play with the same team where you can learn their jump shots and put up with opponents mainly playing like idiots or repeating the same offensive play(last year towards the end of the year everyone was picking the Celtics... three players who could shoot 3s, was impossible to make the 3 of them and contesting a shot is extremely hard in this game, even when you know its coming).
    When you do find an opponent online who wants to play properly(use all the players on the court) and the game's close.... it's far better than any online game of FIFA, just sadly it's hard to find.

Gilberto, you sound like someone who would be good to play against :) If you ever see me on, send me an invite (if you are on ps3) and i'll give ya a game. Like Fifa, I stick to offline even though all the lads said I should be playing online, but that spamming like you mentioned above would wreck my head and would only want to go back to My Career.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭blaa85

It's €20 on the PC from zavvi. Looks like free delivery. I'll be grabbing that when I get home.

Gilberto, I never played the Association mode, is that multiplayer as well? I know it's that you manage a team but can you also play the games?

Gilberto, I never played the Association mode, is that multiplayer as well? I know it's that you manage a team but can you also play the games?

It's the thing the lads done on here for the Xbox last year. You can have a fantasy draft as well.
    Probs better to have more than two but the Career mode is a bit of a mess now without playvision.

Ya you play alright, you can just set it up that the AI does most of the managing, and anyway you'd only really play for one season so scouting/contracts wouldn't be a big issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Didn't get a chance to pick this up when it came out at the start of the month. Was planning on picking it up off amazon, but it's over 50 euro on there. Picked it up on zavvi for 46 euro just a min ago, hopefully should be here for Friday. I loved NBA 2k12 , we had a great association mode going on this for a while, Paully D, Mikeyt086, LargeTacoFries and many more. Can't wait to get this now, with the season starting in less than a week!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

buyer95 wrote: »
    Didn't get a chance to pick this up when it came out at the start of the month. Was planning on picking it up off amazon, but it's over 50 euro on there. Picked it up on zavvi for 46 euro just a min ago, hopefully should be here for Friday. I loved NBA 2k12 , we had a great association mode going on this for a while, Paully D, Mikeyt086, LargeTacoFries and many more. Can't wait to get this now, with the season starting in less than a week!

Yeah shame that fizzled out. My Raptors made the final 4!

I'll be getting this when the price drops in Jan/Feb/March, although I still play my My Player from 2K12.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Yeah shame that fizzled out. My Raptors made the final 4!

I'll be getting this when the price drops in Jan/Feb/March, although I still play my My Player from 2K12.

My Knicks went into the playoffs as top seeds in the east, but lost a game 7 final 4, but by then everyone had stopped playing

Advertisement