Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youth Defence must be feeling desperate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Yeah let's force a woman to have a child she doesn't want. I'm sure that kid will have a great life.

Whatever happens I'm just thankful there are other countries I can go to if I ever need an abortion.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭NotForResale

If you dodge consequences boy or girl (for that matter) you are going to do yourself more damage in the long run,eventually it will catch up with you,and you will have to learn about consequences,lets just say if somebody keeps getting abortions or doesnt practice safe sex a lot,a consequence such as stds could rear its ugly head.

what does that have to do with it? do you think we should not deny this choice to people because you think most of them will be abusing it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭rockclover1

People will abuse choice,and will use it for every little mistake,which is wrong.If everyone tommorrow decided to have an abortion in ireland there would be no future irish for example.I dont think a small island like ireland is ready for abortion.In the UK there is a huge population,so abortion doesnt put a dent in the people generated economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭NotForResale

If everyone tommorrow decided to have an abortion in ireland there would be no future irish for example.I dont think a small island like ireland is ready for abortion.In the UK there is a huge population,so abortion doesnt put a dent in the people generated economy.

You should have qualified with us at the start of this debate that you are a complete idiot so we could be aware of we where dealing with. Just because someone has an abortion doesn't mean they wont have children later on in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,496 ✭✭✭✭28064212

People will abuse choice,and will use it for every little mistake,which is wrong.If everyone tommorrow decided to have an abortion in ireland there would be no future irish for example.I dont think a small island like ireland is ready for abortion.In the UK there is a huge population,so abortion doesnt put a dent in the people generated economy.
    Same old nonsense arguments, eh christmas? Good to see you learned from your mistakes. I'm curious, do you understand how percentages work?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Seriously Rockclover your arguments are very underdeveloped. If everyone decided to have an abortion?! What if everyone decided to have a baby tomorrow? How would our economy fare?

I'm not having kids. I'm in a committed relationship, I'm in my 30s. We use contraception always. I don't want to get pregnant and I dont want to have to be put in a position to decide on having an abortion either. Having abortion available here would not affect me in the slightest unless I became pregnant, in which case I would have better care and less complications if I chose an abortion. I think most women who are pro-abortion-availability in Ireland are the same. They are not going to abandon all pretence of birth control overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Huh? If we allow abortion in Ireland everyone will have an abortion but they allow it in the UK and everyone doesn't? Is that seriously your argument?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

What's this? Youth Defense lying to make themselves look more popular? Madness! Why, what unprecedented occurrence shall be next? Rain falling up? Cats chasing dogs?

What a despicable, odious organisation.

jhegarty wrote: »
    You calling it desperate lies because they are quoting the Garda figures ? :confused:

Is it that they are miss quoting the Guards ?

The Gardai are obviously against abortion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭rockclover1

do you understand how percentages work?

Do you understand how numbers work,a percentage is a portion of a population,populations vary by cold hard numbers not percentages.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Im not a christian [...]
    And, christmas2012, I'm running for pope when Ratzinger hangs up his boots.
    [...] you should be old enough to face the responsibility that comes with that.
    You were recently banned from this forum. You can post under this new login for the moment, but one whiff of prior behavior, and you'll be back on holiday.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

You calling it desperate lies because they are quoting the Garda figures ? :confused:

I'm not calling anything anything

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'm sorry but thats some of the dumbest fcuking reasoning I've ever heard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

krudler wrote: »
    I'm sorry but thats some of the dumbest fcuking reasoning I've ever heard.
    Yes but don't you see, a percentage is just a portion of a population, and our population is a proportion of a percentage of the UK's, so we can't handle abortions yet, only a percentage of them in proportion of our population to the percentage of the UK, then you get to accidentally the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

To be fair, I used to work on O Connell Street and just about every march in the country went past the window, and I've never yet seen a Garda estimate yet published that was an accurate reflection of the crowd, regardless of the protest in question.

I don't know if it's a conscious political thing or just playing it safe or what, but they do it consistently. I know putting an exact figure on stuff like that isn't easy, but they're almost always under by hundreds, sometimes even thousands. I've no idea or theories why.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

rockclover/christmas2012 gone for his chips.

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

The plot thickens.
    Gardaí said they were reluctant to put a figure on the number of people who attend protest marches but confirmed to TheJournal.ie that an estimated 2,500 people had taken part.

http://www.thejournal.ie/pro-choice-march-dublin-2-615912-Sep2012

So where did Youth Defence say they got their figure again...? And where, indeed, did the Irish Times get theirs?
    Less than 1,000 people joined the 'March for Choice' in Dublin this afternoon in what had been billed as the first major mobilisation of pro-choice activists ahead of the publication of a major report examining how the Government should deal with the abortion issue.

http://www.thejournal.ie/pro-choice-march-dublin-2-615912-Sep2012/#comment-636043

How curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

It's all fun and games until you go onto Youth Defence's page and see that one of your friends is a fan...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

There's nothing youthful about the vast majority of YD's supporters... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Well no wonder they're getting desperate, if they don't recruit a few young'uns before winter, there may not be a Youth Defence left come spring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

2,500 is probably about right - less than the 5000 claimed by the organisers.

BTW, the overwhelming psychological evidence is that
    1. most women do NOT experience post-abortion guilt or other negative consequences, and
    2. the negative consequences for women who are forced to go through the pregnancy against their wishes are enormous for both mother and child.

I'll try to look for the actual studies if anyone is interested, but the Psychological Society of Ireland did a review of the evidence some years ago and these were their findings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I've a few comments on their page. They deleted one, which was so mundane I'm a bit confused as to why they'd bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

King Mob wrote: »

Good old IT, if they were still on D'Olier St, they could have looked out the window! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Politics was good, a hundred years ago. Today, politicians have no ability to solve any problems because they're not students of behavior, they're not students of agriculture, oceanography, they know nothing about the factors that operate the world. So, they say things that people like to hear, and that gets them elected. Now scientists, on the other hand, are not concerned with public approval. What they do, even if everybody on Earth believed the Earth was flat, they would say, "You're wrong. This is the evidence we have to support the fact that the Earth is round." But they don't say, "It's a little round and a little flat." That's politicians.

Earth 2.0 - Coming soon

Jacque Fresco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Lantus wrote: »
    Politics was good, a hundred years ago.
    Today, politicians have no ability to solve any problems because they're not students of behavior, they're not students of agriculture, oceanography, they know nothing about the factors that operate the world. So, they say things that people like to hear, and that gets them elected. Now scientists, on the other hand, are not concerned with public approval. What they do, even if everybody on Earth believed the Earth was flat, they would say, "You're wrong. This is the evidence we have to support the fact that the Earth is round." But they don't say, "It's a little round and a little flat." That's politicians.

Earth 2.0 - Coming soon

Jacque Fresco

And has that to do with the topic?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Lantus wrote: »
    Politics was good, a hundred years ago.
    Sounds like Mr Fresco may not have talked to any of the soldiers who fought in the First World War which, coincidentally, started the same year he was born.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

YES, they misquoted the Gardai. The figures they actually gave were between 1,500 and 3,000. Can't be bothered directing you to a link for that. Look at the bleedin pictures and then tell me it's not a lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Obliq wrote: »
    YES, they misquoted the Gardai. The figures they actually gave were between 1,500 and 3,000. Can't be bothered directing you to a link for that. Look at the bleedin pictures and then tell me it's not a lie.

The Gardai changed the figures later. See the quote from the Irish Times on the first page.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Thousands for sure. I'd say under 2,500 though, looking at the film. Still a good turnout in a country for an opinion that has been so jaundiced by the EXTREME lack of support at government level and other public representation facilities.
    http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/09/29/how-many-were-at-the-march-for-choice/
    Disgusted is not the word for how I feel about RTE and the Irish Times today. Any march this size should be reported (fairly, btw) on, and we have all be severely let down, particularly by RTE, who didn't air one bit of the march. I am due to pay their licence fee this week. Feel like taking THEM to court over it - if they won't represent my view in the slightest....what use are they exactly?
    And The Indo. Fullscreen capture 30092012 124055.jpg

Advertisement