Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youth Defence must be feeling desperate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Obliq wrote: »
    Thousands for sure. I'd say under 2,500 though, looking at the film. Still a good turnout in a country for an opinion that has been so jaundiced by the EXTREME lack of support at government level and other public representation facilities.
    http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/09/29/how-many-were-at-the-march-for-choice/
    Disgusted is not the word for how I feel about RTE and the Irish Times today. Any march this size should be reported (fairly, btw) on, and we have all be severely let down, particularly by RTE, who didn't air one bit of the march. I am due to pay their licence fee this week. Feel like taking THEM to court over it - if they won't represent my view in the slightest....what use are they exactly?
    And The Indo. Fullscreen capture 30092012 124055.jpg

The Sindo do have a piece on it. A paragraph long, buried in the "other news" section.

Edit: Link

Not even any mention of numbers, just "A pro-CHOICE group took to the streets of Dublin yesterday in a protest march."

(I have no idea why "choice" is in all caps…)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

The Sindo do have a piece on it. A paragraph long, buried in the "other news" section.

Edit: Link

Not even any mention of numbers, just "A pro-CHOICE group took to the streets of Dublin yesterday in a protest march."

(I have no idea why "choice" is in all caps…)

Cheers, yeah I saw that. My screenshot shows the feedback from the "Unlike Youth Defence, I trust women to decide their lives for themselves" facebook page, highlighting what DID make the Indo homepage online. Muslims marching on Google offices IS newsworthy I'm sure, but so is the Pro-choice march. I remain disgusted.

Tomorrow morning, bright and early, I'm getting onto the BAI about it. "Members of the public may also complain to the Compliance Committee of the BAI if in their opinion there has been a breach of the Code of Programme Standards, the General Advertising Code and the Code of Children's Advertising. The codes and
    information on how to complain are available on the BAI website (www.bai.ie)or from
    the following addressclick here.
    The Broadcasting Complaints Commission is administered by The Broadcasting
    Commission of Ireland. The Commission's address is:
    Broadcasting Complaints Commission,
    2-5 Warrington Place,
    Dublin 2.
    Telephone: (01) 644 1200 "

The only part of the code that I can see as having been breached (since it WASN'T AIRED) is misuse of "(c) anything which may reasonably be regarded as causing harm or offence, or as likely to promote, or incite to, crime or as tending to undermine the authority of the State, is not broadcast " under the Code of Practice for the Handling of Complaints. I'm full sure they'll wriggle out of it, or indeed, dismiss me totally, but APPARENTLY, "RTÉ exists to provide quality public service programmes on radio and television. The
    public pays a licence fee to receive these services. The standards we set for ourselves can be found in our RTÉ's Programme Standards and Guidelines 2008 "

http://www.bai.ie/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/Broadcasting-Act-2009.pdfBroadcasters — Duties, Codes and Rules
    39.—(1) Every broadcaster shall ensure that—
    (a) all news broadcast by the broadcaster is reported and
    presented in an objective and impartial manner and without any expression of the broadcaster’s own views,
    (b) the broadcast treatment of current affairs, including
    matters which are either of public controversy or the subject of current public debate, is fair to all interests concerned and that the broadcast matter is presented in an objective and impartial manner and without any
    expression of his or her own views, except that should it
    prove impracticable in relation to a single broadcast to
    apply this paragraph, two or more related broadcasts may
    be considered as a whole, if the broadcasts are transmitted within a reasonable period of each other

Anybody know anything about the BAI? If it wasn't broadcast (the basis for my complaint), I assume I can't say it's unfair?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Youth Defence have deleted all my comments and blocked me from their facebook page, despite the fact that all I did was reply to their post quoting the IT article and say that the figures had been updated. I understand why they wouldn't want to entertain people mocking pro-lifers, but why just blanket delete anything resembling a different opinion? It's pretty sad, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    It's all fun and games until you go onto Youth Defence's page and see that one of your friends is a fan...

I just did exactly that. There's always one....
    Youth Defence have deleted all my comments and blocked me from their facebook page, despite the fact that all I did was reply to their post quoting the IT article and say that the figures had been updated. I understand why they wouldn't want to entertain people mocking pro-lifers, but why just blanket delete anything resembling a different opinion? It's pretty sad, tbh.

Because they are trying to portray that their opinion is the majority one and do their best to hide the fact that there is opposition. Hence the photo in their page of a few people gathering before the march in an attempt to make it look significantly smaller.

I must say I am quite disappointed with the media's lack of coverage for the march. The Indo's coverage was paltry to say the least. I seem to recall them giving a two page spread to a pro-life protest of some description not long ago.

I saw this while on YD's facebook page:
    384562_10151251542792363_1064724434_n.jpg
    Damn them blocking the window!!!

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »
    I must say I am quite disappointed with the media's lack of coverage for the march. The Indo's coverage was paltry to say the least. I seem to recall them giving a two page spread to a pro-life protest of some description not long ago.

It's shameful and depressing. I nearly cried last night and this morning on realising there was no coverage at all. My English boyfriend actually couldn't believe it, and got up to check b4 I did so he might have some good news for me?....no chance.

He wondered why so few turned up to march, for this as well as other issues such as the banking crisis. I explained that if you consider that England has 56 million people and 150,000 people approx turned out for the poll tax marches. I don't do maths but for a country of 4,000,000 people, 2,500 approx seems like a similar percentage (someone else do the math?). There will always only be a small percentage who will ACTUALLY turn up to protest/march in support of, but I think we held our own eh?

Grrrrr:mad: SO ****ING MAD. The powers that be getting my licence fee are getting an earful off of me tomorrow.

They've brought those posters to Galway?

Oh, now I'm pissed.

They've brought those posters to Galway?

Oh, now I'm pissed.

Ha! Why, was it fine till you could see it?! Not trying to get yer back up, but this is ongoing, all over the country, and you're only pissed NOW??? https://www.facebook.com/groups/106559509488937/ Galway Pro-Choice have been discussing this for a while now - not much we can do but complain to bus eireann.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

You can continue to mock them. Mockery is a wonderful tool against the ridiculous and the self-righteous.

Sarky wrote: »
    You can continue to mock them. Mockery is a wonderful tool against the ridiculous and the self-righteous.

Yes, but right now I feel more like breaking heads than mocking. What is wrong with us people that we can take more of this ****e? :confused:

• Advertisement

Ha! Why, was it fine till you could see it?! Not trying to get yer back up, but this is ongoing, all over the country, and you're only pissed NOW???
    No, of course not. I was making a "not in my backyard" style joke. But it is extra annoying to see it right in front of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Yes, but right now I feel more like breaking heads than mocking. What is wrong with us people that we can take more of this ****e? :confused:

Thats the baby-killer in ye, wanting to get out.

It's a well known fact that the yearly seal clubbing up in Canada is done by well disguised frustated pro-choice Irish women who need to let out their killin urges.

It's shameful and depressing. I nearly cried last night and this morning on realising there was no coverage at all.

I'm curious as to why the media here seem afraid to cover the pro-choice side. Are they afraid they might upset a few aul wans or something? Or are they in cahoots with YD?
    Heck, the anti-Youth defense protest at the Dail in July got no coverage at all either.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭lynchieboy

What was the idea of bringing babies in buggies to a pro abortion rally? seems a bit strange to me, I cant make the link?

lynchieboy wrote: »
    What was the idea of bringing babies in buggies to a pro abortion rally? seems a bit strange to me, I cant make the link?

Couldn't find a sitter I'd imagine.

Pro-choice =/= anti babies in general.

I'm curious as to why the media here seem afraid to cover the pro-choice side. Are they afraid they might upset a few aul wans or something? Or are they in cahoots with YD?
    Heck, the anti-Youth defense protest at the Dail in July got no coverage at all either.

I don't know Galvasean. If there was a 'miserable' smiley, I'd use it. I'm getting onto RTE tomorrow to get an explanation (and because I don't expect any answer, probably the BAI as well). I'll put it to Geoff at http://geoffsshorts.blogspot.ie/ - he's the man for the job :)

It's my theory that it's not newsworthy while there's no danger of government actually doing any legislating for our rights. Therefore they won't rock the boat. Coverage of the pro-YD side is not controversial in that nobody will go crazy over it. And that includes us. I imagine we are too civilised to make an impact.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You mean it's NOT a baby killing protest? Where I can bring my unwanted babies to be killed for free, or to be exchanged for the iPhone 5?

What's strange? I'm out and out pro-choice and I'd have brought my kids if I hadn't the childcare. My eldest boy (14) said to me the other day when I told him he'd be at his Dad's for sure on Saturday cos I was going to the March for Choice - " I only found out in school recently that there's no abortion in Ireland, WTF??". It hadn't come up before as part of our 'sex education talks', where he goes "Aw, MUM, I KNOW ALREADY", so I can't be said to have influenced him on being pro-choice. To him, as a child of the 2000's, it stands TO REASON that women should have the right to decide on having a child or not. And he got really mad when I said I've been marching for this since I was his age.
    People pass on their beliefs/ideals/learning to their children. Look at Catholic people putting their children through first holy communion and wonder is it strange (from an objective viewpoint) that their children are told they are sinners when they're 8yrs old.

You mean it's NOT a baby killing protest? Where I can bring my unwanted babies to be killed for free, or to be exchanged for the iPhone 5?

I was on a train today and overheard a woman say to her offspring, "if you don't shut up you're going in the bold bin!"
    Perhaps we can avail of said bin?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

[...] overheard a woman [...] "if you don't shut up you're going in the bold bin!"
    Must be the non-religious version of the sin bin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

who says parents can't be pro-choice? why do people assume that anyone pro-choice never wants or already has kids?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

krudler wrote: »
    who says parents can't be pro-choice? why do people assume that anyone pro-choice never wants or already has kids?

Coz everyone pro-choice is a proto-baby murderer of course.

It is rather odd that women of the "pro-life" persuasion seem the most ardent believers in the notion that other women will rush to the opportunity to 'kill de babiez' en masse. Would it be part of the same phenomena that sees the most vociferous voices against the young women seen on "Embarrassing Irish Nightlife photos" come from their own gender? (Which is a depressing phenomena, in this day and age).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I think it's from the same troubling corner of the human condition as "If we didn't have the Ten Commandments, what would be out there to stop me murdering literally everyone!??!"

I think it's from the same troubling corner of the human condition as "If we didn't have the Ten Commandments, what would be out there to stop me murdering literally everyone!??!"

Other than the fact that I'm just getting too old and hefty to catch the bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Nodin wrote: »
    Other than the fact that I'm just getting too old and hefty to catch the bastards.

Buy the new iPhone and advertise on Adverts for €300, collection only. They'll come to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Thousands for sure. I'd say under 2,500 though, looking at the film. Still a good turnout in a country for an opinion that has been so jaundiced by the EXTREME lack of support at government level and other public representation facilities.

Here's a link to a video of most of the march passing the O'Connell Monument at the bottom of O'Connell St.

(To whoever put the red sashes on the angels there - Congratulations! They looked brilliant!)

That's ok RTE, we'll do your job for you.......;)

557862_10151098155159226_125155030_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,382 ✭✭✭✭Penn

That's ok RTE, we'll do your job for you.......;)

557862_10151098155159226_125155030_n.jpg

"Unfortunately no one from RTE was there to report due to the controversial nature of this issue."

What the c*nting f*ck kind of bullsh*t nonsense is that? Is that real? I actually feel like complaining to them about that. That's ridiculous.

Fine, it's controversial. But no reporter would be somehow forced to join the protest. Whether you agree with what happened or not, your job is to report the news. Not sending someone out to report on it simply because it's "controversial" is effectively silencing the debate. What happens if there was ever a referendum on the issue? Not report on it because it's "controversial"?

Smells like anti-abortion bias to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Penn wrote: »
    Is that real?
    Eh, no. I think Obliq made it themselves.
    Penn wrote: »
    Smells like anti-abortion bias to me.
    About RTE not touching the issue with a bargepole? Yes, yes it does.

Advertisement