Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - Browser Extension

• 15-09-2021 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,034 ✭✭✭✭ 28064212

The Boardsie Enhancement Suite browser extension is an (unofficial) set of modifications designed to improve the desktop browsing experience on Boards. It is an upgrade from the userscript I previously provided. All script features exist in this extension.

Extension homepage: https://github.com/28064212/boardsie-enhancement-suite - includes screenshots, documentation, and source code

Features

• Full-width display
    • Dark mode settings
    • Keyboard shortcuts
    • Thread previews on hover
    • Full list of thanks under all posts
    • Category drop-down menu

See screenshots here

Installation

The extension is not yet available on the native browser extension sites. A future release will be, but for now it requires a manual install. This is a once-off step, updates are provided automatically (according to your browser's settings).

Firefox

1. Simply click https://github.com/28064212/boardsie-enhancement-suite/releases/latest/download/boardsie-enhancement-suite.xpi and confirm installation

Chrome

1. Download the latest .zip release at https://github.com/28064212/boardsie-enhancement-suite/releases/latest/download/boardsie-enhancement-suite.zip, and unzip it somewhere on your PC (note that the unzipped files will need to stay in place after installation, so choose somewhere permanent)
    2. In Chrome, open your "Extensions" page (Settings => More tools => Extensions, or go to the URL chrome://extensions)
    3. Enable "Developer mode" (top right)
    4. Click on "Load Unpacked" and select the folder you unzipped the files to

Edge

1. Download the latest .zip release at https://github.com/28064212/boardsie-enhancement-suite/releases/latest/download/boardsie-enhancement-suite.zip, and unzip it somewhere on your PC (note that the unzipped files will need to stay in place after installation, so choose somewhere permanent)
    2. In Edge, open your "Extensions" page (Settings => Extensions, or go to the URL edge://extensions)
    3. Enable "Developer mode" (bottom left)
    4. Click on "Load Unpacked" and select the folder you unzipped the files to

Notes

This is unofficial, so things may break occasionally as Boards make changes to the site itself. Updates to the extension will be made as quickly as practicable.

Feedback (either here or on Github) is welcome 🙂

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using post-migration Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and a dark mode setting)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭ Supercell

Fantastic, installed in Firefox and loving it, thanks for your hard work!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,490 ✭✭✭✭ GBX

Just tried installing on Chrome and I am getting an error - highlighted lines from the code ?

Unrecognized manifest key 'browser_specific_settings'.

"browser_specific_settings": {

"gecko": {

"id": "[email protected]",

"update_url": "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/28064212/boardsie-enhancement-suite/master/updates/updates.json"

}

},

• Registered Users Posts: 10,034 ✭✭✭✭ 28064212

That's just a warning, it should still install and all the features will be available. Let me know if that isn't what happens

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using post-migration Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and a dark mode setting)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,490 ✭✭✭✭ GBX

Installed and working ok. Thanks

Gah, I was wrong about updates being installed automatically, that only works on Firefox. Chrome and Edge need to be updated manually. Instructions:

1. Download the latest .zip release
    2. Unzip the contents to the same folder that the extension is currently installed in, overwriting any existing files
    3. In your browser, open the Extensions page
    4. In the Boardsie Enhancement Suite section, click the Reload button

To follow new releases, you can either bookmark this thread, or set up "Watch" notifications on Github for the repository

v0.1.5 has been released, but it has no impact other than to fix the warning @GBX highlighted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,187 ✭✭✭✭ Hotblack Desiato

Working great - thank you - really makes much better use of the screen "real estate" - but noticed one odd thing, the list of thanks under each post doesn't appear in threads in the soccer forum, i.e. you have to hover over the thanks button to see the names.

Could this be anything to do with Soccer being under "Home - Groups" not "Home - Discussions" ?

Edit: viewing thanks is now not working for me on non-soccer threads where it was working earlier this afternoon, maybe Boards changed something...

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

"12 pages in and it still needs to be explained to some posters why this guy ended up where he did. It probably explains why so many gobshites get elected in this country."

The Soccer one is due to it being a "group" instead of a "category", it's on the toFix list.

However, the thanks list should still be working elsewhere. Are you signed out of Boards by any chance? Some of the features only work when logged in

v0.2.0:

• User menu - removes the broken native menu when hovering over usernames in threads, replaces it with a working one
    • Related to above: User history feature - hover over username, then click "View all posts", or you can go directly to https://www.boards.ie/discussions#bes:28064212 (replacing 28064212 with username you're looking for)
    • Fix for false "double-post" appearances when commenting

Known issues:

• User history only shows comments, doesn't include discusssions started by user (TOFIX)

To update:

• Firefox - just use the built-in extension update checker
    • Chrome/Edge:
      1. Download the latest .zip release
      2. Unzip the contents to the same folder that the extension is currently installed in, overwriting any existing files
      3. In your browser, open the Extensions page
      4. In the Boardsie Enhancement Suite section, click the Reload button

Just updated to the latest one. Still no thanks visible without hovering I'm afraid. Also a new bug - the thread OP's name appears as dark blue text on a dark blue background - it used to be white text on a dark blue background.

Opera (with Chrome extensions support) on Windows 10

"12 pages in and it still needs to be explained to some posters why this guy ended up where he did. It probably explains why so many gobshites get elected in this country."

Strange. What version? I just installed a fresh copy of Opera 79.0.4143.22 (also Windows 10), installed the extension (download zip, unzip, open Extensions => Developer Mode => Load Unpacked), and everything appears to be working fine (except in groups like Soccer).

Any possibility you have any other conflicting extensions installed, or custom CSS applied using something like Stylus? Or is it possible you still have the old userscript version installed through Violentmonkey/Tampermonkey?

• Advertisement

I've just updated Opera to 79.0.4143.50, uninstalled the enhancement suite, reinstalled it again, and it's back working as it was before. I have Stylus installed but it's turned off. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,426 ✭✭✭ CrowdedHouse

Just came across this. Installed on Firefox, looks good - Thank you

Seven Worlds will Collide

Thanks! 🙂

But... ummm... I don't think that emoji means what you think it means (or else that was some seriously deadpan sarcasm)

LOL Sorry - new specs required!

v0.2.1 - setting to allow you to turn sticky header back on (off by default, press 's' or click gearwheel in title bar to access settings menu)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭ Hodors Appletart

Great stuff, as usual!

Works great on my desktop but on my laptop running Firefox the home page looks like the below, is there anyway I can adjust a setting somewhere ? , my screen resolution is 1366x768, thanks.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Thanks for the bug report, pushed a fix for that now (v0.2.2)

Awsome stuff can confirm its fixed indeed, thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,276 ✭✭✭✭ ohnonotgmail

One issue I have found is that the Boards.ie header at the top of the page doesnt stay in place, it scrolls with the rest of the page.

• Advertisement

By design - I hate sticky headers 🙂

However, if you press 's' or click the settings icon in the top right, you can turn the sticky header back on

• Registered Users Posts: 37,276 ✭✭✭✭ ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭ xtal191

This is great, thanks a lot for your effort

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 59,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Wibbs

This is bloody brilliant. Many thanks.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭ xtal191

This page isn't showing up properly for me, cant see the left hand side https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058154018/amazon-bargains-no-chat-no-referral-links-see-op/p35

Anyone else having that problem?

Not just you, same here. Probably just a CSS fix needed, will take a look

That's odd - same for me. OK when add on disabled (Firefox)

v0.2.4 - fix for "first post" after back-end changes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,893 ✭✭✭✭ Ads by Google

The changes in the image make search work and the changes are in the url. You should add this to the extension so it's automatic.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement