Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youth Defence must be feeling desperate

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

March4choice page:
    Ignore the desperate lies being tweeted by panicky pro-lifers - this really is a HUGE turnout. #march4choice

Few more than 800 there lads I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭NotForResale

bluewolf wrote: »
    March4choice page:
    Ignore the desperate lies being tweeted by panicky pro-lifers - this really is a HUGE turnout. #march4choice

They revised it 2YjmR.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

they r count gud

I had a look on their FB page, pretty sad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

I've said it elsewhere and I'll say it here too: this really couldn't have happened without Youth Defence. If YD hadn't put up those obnoxious, misleading, emotionally manipulative posters, this movement would have been without its catalyst.

they r count gud

I had a look on their FB page, pretty sad

they seem to be having a little panic now, a lot of them are saying "but the rally for life is still bigger!" :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭rockclover1

So what if the rally for life was bigger,what did they do a headcount for both on the days they were dated?

Doubful.

Im not a christian but would not be pro abortion or soley anti abortion,but i think abortion for all is a dreadful idea btw..abortion for all??abortion for every little mistake,although i do agree with abortion for lets say those who bear a life that is somewhat retarded or incompatible with life.But on abortion for all,i just completely disagree with it.

If youre old enough to have sex,you should be old enough to face the responsibility that comes with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

i do agree with abortion for lets say those who bear a life that is somewhat retarded or incompatible with life.

So basically you see mentally disabled people as less human. Noice.

So what if the rally for life was bigger,what did they do a headcount for both on the days they were dated?

Doubful.

Im not a christian but would not be pro abortion or soley anti abortion,but i think abortion for all is a dreadful idea btw..abortion for all??abortion for every little mistake,although i do agree with abortion for lets say those who bear a life that is somewhat retarded or incompatible with life.But on abortion for all,i just completely disagree with it.

If youre old enough to have sex,you should be old enough to face the responsibility that comes with that.

christmas2012, it's nice to have you and your extremely convoluted views back. :)

P.S. Youth Defence's Facebook page makes for some great reading; watching them fail to rationalise the fact that they had inferior numbers to an opposing march is, frankly, brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 xperi

what about a ectopic pregancy , if thats not terminated then the mothers life is in danger, or a baby thats died in the womb are they not grounds for a termination ?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

So if you're old enough - or not as the case my be - to get raped, you also must 'woman up' and face the 'responsibility that comes with that?'

You see what happend there? This is the kind of thing you can expect when you make clumsy and stupid generalisations about a very complex series of issues.

• Advertisement

Facing responsibility for some people includes abortion.

Wonderfulname,NO.I dont see them as less human,but they are harder work than lets say having a regular baby,if i suspected i had a child that was somewhat retarded,i would abort mission,sorry to say if that hurts your feelings.But it is just what i would do,and i have the freedom of choice to hop on a plane,(not telling irish authorities what im up to)and get it over and done with.With our without my 'partner',i would do it in a second,no afterthoughts about it,i wouldnt even flinch about it.The aftermath of having an abortion would be difficult-and it is a painful procedure,but yes i would do it in a second and have no regrets about it..

I know a woman with a disabled child,now teenager,she is extremely difficult,she has autism and some other intellectual disablity,she also has cerebal palsy.And she is very challenging curses,shouts,wants to be indulged all the time by parent,and it is hard on her,even her husband of 15 years walked out on her recently,there is only so much grinning and bearing you can do,before it gets to you,she is honest about it,she wished she never had that child,and i think it is a far more honest and unprenetious reaction to have.Obviously she would never say it to her child,but when she gets old,she wonders how things will go,i mean that child can never never reproduce and have healthy offspring or get married etc..

She will never have grandchildren,and when she gets old and infirm she will have to give her away,and she cannot afford it..

Its even more of a burden for her than lets say having a 'regular child.'

In response to bluewolf:
    Facing responsibility for some people includes abortion.

abortion is seen as a way out,little do girls realise they can get stung by it,its a very upsetting experience,there is no aftercare for abortion when you get on that plane to england,there is nothing organised for the girl who gets it,and its not a pain free or risk free procedure.

Please read what i said;i stated if you are old enough to have sex(by sex i mean consensual sex),you should be old enough to face the consequences
    So if you're old enough - or not as the case my be - to get raped, you also must 'woman up' and face the 'responsibility that comes with that?'

Please.Stop putting words i never said in my mouth.Refrain from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Irish Times say low turnout
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0929/breaking25.html
    ess than 1,000 people joined the 'March for Choice' in Dublin this afternoon in what had been billed as the first major mobilisation of pro-choice activists ahead of the publication of a major report examining how the Government should deal with the abortion issue.

Organisers had predicted that several thousand people would gather for the march which left the Spire in O’Connell Street at 2pm ahead of a gathering at Merrion Square.

However, Garda said that closer to 500 people had showed up for the event. .

Bad grammar AND bad reporting

efb wrote: »

500? they must have just taken some tweet from some of the "prolifers" online and ran with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Please read what i said;i stated if you are old enough to have sex(by sex i mean consensual sex),you should be old enough to face the consequences

Yes, and as Bluewolf rightfully pointed out, having an abortion is a consequence some people face, just not the consequence you personally want them to face.

But this whole 'you have to face the consequences of your actions' thing is bollox anyway, it's like saying 'if you have sex and contract Chlamydia you should not be able to avail of the medical treatment for that, as well... if you're old enough to have sex you're old enough to face the consequences'.

it's like saying 'if you have sex and contract Chlamydia you should not be able to avail of the medical treatment for that, as well... if you're old enough to have sex you're old enough to face the consequences'.

Well then that person obviously isnt practicing safe sex,ie no fluid exchange sex,its their choice their risk unfortunately for them.Im not saying that people should not take anti std medication,im not advocating that at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Well then that person obviously isnt practicing safe sex,ie no fluid exchange sex,its their choice their risk unfortunately for them.Im not saying that people should not take anti std medication,im not advocating that at all.

No it's not clear the person wasn't practicing safe sex, as with the prevention of pregnancy, the prevention of STD's through the use of a condom is not 100% effective.

I know you're not actually advocating people should not take anti-std medication, that's the whole point... your viewpoint is inconsistent, and as such, you should probably re-examine it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

xperi wrote: »
    what about a ectopic pregancy , if thats not terminated then the mothers life is in danger, or a baby thats died in the womb are they not grounds for a termination ?

YD claim ectopic pregnancy treatments aren't abortions. So that's that cleared up.

• Advertisement

Its not inconsistent,i maintan if you are old enough to have sex,you should be old enough and mature enough to face the consequences be it if you did not use a condom,stds can be a risk,if you did not take the pill,pregnancy can be a risk.If you cannot see that or agree these are the risks you are taking then you are not mature enough to have sex.Life isnt consequence free.

Those are risk factors you have to be aware of before having sex,whether you know this person or not.

Sex is not 100% safe but condoms are effective and if used properly can be a good barrier to pregnancy and stds alone.

Just because you argue condoms arent 100% doesnt mean people should not use them,they can be gotten free at any family planning clinic or red ribbon aids house.

They should be considered regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Its not inconsistent,i maintan if you are old enough to have sex,you should be old enough and mature enough to face the consequences be it if you did not use a condom,stds can be a risk,if you did not take the pill,pregnancy can be a risk.If you cannot see that or agree these are the risks you are taking then you are not mature enough to have sex.Life isnt consequence free.

Those are risk factors you have to be aware of before having sex,whether you know this person or not.

Sex is not 100% safe but condoms are effective and if used properly can be a good barrier to pregnancy and stds alone.

Just because you argue condoms arent 100% doesnt mean people should not use them,they can be gotten free at any family planning clinic or red ribbon aids house.

They should be considered regardless.
    One of the quite well known consequences is that your child may be born with a severe disability.

I don't understand why thou allow one and not the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Doubful.

no abortions, except for retarded kids, gotcha.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

March4choice page:

You calling it desperate lies because they are quoting the Garda figures ? :confused:

Is it that they are miss quoting the Guards ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

ie. if a girl gets pregnant, she should have to have the baby to teach her a lesson. That'll show 'er.

no abortions, except for retarded kids, gotcha.

Having a retarded child is a lot of care and can give you a near nervous breakdown,imagine what a mother and father has to go through to learn the grave news that their child may have some form of disability?Its devastating,they know that child will NEVER,never grow up and have a 'regular' life,never be able to get a job,or have a healthy child.They will never be grandparents,they will always have to worry about saving extra money for extra special needs for child care costs and also for care for their later years,even teen and young adult life they will have special needs.It can break up marragies polarise siblings and do so much damage,thats the reality of it.And anybody that says its just like bringing up a regular child is delusional or decidedly ignorant.

ie. if a girl gets pregnant, she should have to have the baby to teach her a lesson. That'll show 'er.

Stop putting words in my mouth i never said,thought or expressed in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

That 500 figure simply isn't true. Don't really have an axe to grind either way but I was coming through town on my way into work and waiting for a bus on Nassau Street as the march passed. It took five minutes for it to pass me totally and I'd be pretty sure there was at least 3,500 and closer to 4,000 people there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Stop putting words in my mouth i never said,thought or expressed in any way.

That's exactly the spirit of your thought process - girls should have avoidable consequences imposed on them, because life is not consequence free.

• Advertisement

That's exactly the spirit of your thought process - girls should have avoidable consequences imposed on them, because life is not consequence free.

Are you trying to imply im some sort of mysoginist?Because i can tell you im not.

If you dodge consequences boy or girl (for that matter) you are going to do yourself more damage in the long run,eventually it will catch up with you,and you will have to learn about consequences,lets just say if somebody keeps getting abortions or doesnt practice safe sex a lot,a consequence such as stds could rear its ugly head.

Or if you try to get pregnant in later life you might find you cant,and you might regret those abortions.

Its not an easy procedure to go through either,and i think it is very irresponsible to advocate it as the way,or make it synonymous with womens rights,its not synonymous with womens rights,bodily integrity starts with one life,not with two,i will say there are certain circumstances i would happily abort..As having a child with special needs is more costly than the 'average' child which would be costly also.

Im not saying my views are flawless there are exceptions that i would personally choose abortion,ie if it was a danger to my life,or retarded.

Advertisement