Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Embarrasing Moments In Shops

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Vomit

Embarrassing moments--saying 'see you soon' to the cashier. Also, not knowing whether to say 'thanks' or 'thank you' and ending up saying 'thanks you' :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Was at the cd section in Tesco once, the wife was beside me. I drop my hand on her arse only to hear an "excuse me". The wife had walked away and another woman was standing beside me. I wanted the ground to swallow me up.

Once in a tesco in london, i was walking through the auto doors and they didn't open. walked straight into them knocking one off its runners. was so shocked- had to pull the door open and keep walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

I once went into a shop to ask about getting a pair of boots made, as my favourite boots had fallen apart and I wanted something that would last. So I went in and said:
    "Would it be possible to get a pair of boots made with pvc or some fake leather?"
    The man I asked responded:
    "Emm.. This is the Irish Civic Trust"

Now THAT was embarrassing!

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭wobzilla1

Arpa wrote: »
    I do that all the time. Uusally go for a "cheers" or "thanks a million", sometimes it comes out as "cheers a million".

This one's not shop related but still relevant.

Some new guy started in the office, I think he's Danish or something. He's really quiet and keeps to himself.
    Anyway, one day he came over and asked me if he could take the chair beside me.
    I turned around planning to say "Go ahead" but for some reason decided to say "Fire away".

I ended up turning to him with a big smile and saying "Go away".
    He just turned around and walked off looking at the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

wobzilla1 wrote: »
    This one's not shop related but still relevant.

Some new guy started in the office, I think he's Danish or something. He's really quiet and keeps to himself.
    Anyway, one day he came over and asked me if he could take the chair beside me.
    I turned around planning to say "Go ahead" but for some reason decided to say "Fire away".

I ended up turning to him with a big smile and saying "Go away".
    He just turned around and walked off looking at the floor.

Your words make baby Jesus cry :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

Back when I was a young lad I worked a summer in Crazy Prices. My aim was to save up enough money to buy an Amiga computer and play Leisure Suit Larry Flimbos Quest. I used to work outside on the trollies a lot. It was great because you'd usually get a shiny fifty pence peice tip if you took the shooping to some old dears car and helped her put it into her boot.

But one day a woman came up to me and said "I can't get my pound coin out of the trolley! It's broken!!!". So I rambled over to the trolley bay to see if I could help. There was her trolley - full with shopping - rammed back into the other trollies in the trolley bay. I just remember looking at her and back at the trolley and repeating that whilst saying nothing. Then she copped it and went bright red.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

My 2 and a half year old has just got over a bout of stomach illness which led to a bit of a loose ar$e as well. We're potty training her at the moment too, so last week was lots of cleaning and changing as she tried to cope with the illness and the training. All going well, until we're out shopping and she kept saying "Daddy touch my bum", over and over. I've never been so embarrassed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Hagar the Nice.

Last Christmas I went into my local post office,it was choca block naturally but I had to post a parcel.
    Anyway I noticed a young chap make his way to counter number 7 and as he's handing over his letters he then proceeds to pick his nose in full view of everyone and out comes this HUGE greeny Gilbert.
    This old dear prods me and said 'Did you see that dirty pig.'
    Tbh,I couldn't stop laughing and to make matters worse he tried to shove it under the counter whilst shuffling for cash to pay for his letters but his Gilbert was still stuck to his finger and his face was as red as the morning sun,poor fella got some amount of stares,thankfully I got booth number 2.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Hagar the Nice.

Was at the cd section in Tesco once, the wife was beside me. I drop my hand on her arse only to hear an "excuse me". The wife had walked away and another woman was standing beside me. I wanted the ground to swallow me up.

Once in a tesco in london, i was walking through the auto doors and they didn't open. walked straight into them knocking one off its runners. was so shocked- had to pull the door open and keep walking.
    Try Specsavers mate. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

A colleague of mine witnessed this, and told us at work:

In a cake shop/cafe....

The parents, their kids and their grandmother are sitting at a table eating, and the youngest kid is about 3 or 4, and wants to go to the bathroom. So one of the parents goes to bring the kid, "No, I want granny to bring me", so the granny brings the young girl to the toilet.

A few minutes later they emerge, and sit back at their table, and the little girl yells "I did a wee wee but Granny did a poo poo"

I'm sure there was some embarrassment there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    A colleague of mine witnessed this, and told us at work:

In a cake shop/cafe....

The parents, their kids and their grandmother are sitting at a table eating, and the youngest kid is about 3 or 4, and wants to go to the bathroom. So one of the parents goes to bring the kid, "No, I want granny to bring me", so the granny brings the young girl to the toilet.

A few minutes later they emerge, and sit back at their table, and the little girl yells "I did a wee wee but Granny did a poo poo"

I'm sure there was some embarrassment there.

Repost!! :pac:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80865513&postcount=133

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

In one of those euro shops with kids and hubbie, pretty busy and my hubbie asks cashier, "how much is this"?
    I broke me sh*te laughing as cashier tiredly said 1 euro.
    Hes also asked for a cheeseburger with no cheese.

In clothes shopping with little one and I spotted a lady with an amputated arm, queue me trying to get little one away as fast as possible but I was too slow, look mummy, that lady has no arm and shes not dead.
    I ran.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Hes also asked for a cheeseburger with no cheese.
    Along with a leg of fish, a breast of chicken with no nipple and a family box without the father?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Not in a shop but earlier today in a hotel in Edinburgh I had gone to collect something from my parents room on the 4th floor and was heading back to my room on the 2nd floor. I got into the lift and 2 women got in too. I told them to go ahead first to the ground floor as I was going up to the 4th. They looked at me weirdly but said nothing.

We arrived at the ground floor and they got out and I pushed the button for floor 4 arrived on 4 and got out of the lift and was walking to what I thought was my room when I realised it was floor 2 my room was on. I got back into the lift chuckling and pressed 2. The lift moved and then the doors opened and I got out as a family got in. I walked around the corner and realised I was on floor 3.

I walked down the stairs to my floor coming into the lift lobby as the dad and child of the family got back into the lift laughing coz they had gotten off at my stop instead of the ground floor.

Just typed all that and realised its not that funny but hey am drunk in a hotel I. Scotland so who cares. :-D

^^ A masterpiece of non-storytelling! :pac: The tension builds so much, with absolutely no conclusion.
    And the bit at the start about the two ladies, and the weird look they gave you, which had no relevance to the story whatsoever (but I thought it would, adding to the tension even more!)!
    And the final conclusion letting the reader know that it's not that their brain is broken, it was just a shíte story! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

face1990 wrote: »
    ^^ A masterpiece of non-storytelling! :pac: The tension builds so much, with absolutely no conclusion.
    And the bit at the start about the two ladies, and the weird look they gave you, which had no relevance to the story whatsoever (but I thought it would, adding to the tension even more!)!
    And the final conclusion letting the reader know that it's not that their brain is broken, it was just a shíte story! :D

???
    I loved the scene were the lift moved and the doors opened just as he was walking out and a family was walking in. Simply hilarious and somewhat reminiscent of Buster Keaton in the classic movie 'Parlor, Bedroom and Bath'. Excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Working in Dunnes in Limerick last Christmas on the til, a woman comes up with a trolley and presents a bottle of bacardi.. its 9:55 so she asks me "is it ten o'clock yet, is it okay to buy that?"..
    As it was so busy i struggled to hear her & for some reason thought she said "I've ten of them in the trolley, can you scan them all with that one".. i oblige without question..
    Her bill comes to over €300 instead of a mere 100.. but by the time I'd realised my mistake the clock had gone past ten..
    Computer wouldnt allow me cancel anything to do with alcohol..
    Woman to her credit saw the funny side while i almost fainted.
    Got marching orders an hour later..
    Felt horrible ever since..

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mirostones

Met a friend in Cork city centre.

He had bought a takeaway coffee for me. All good except it had no sugar in it and I wanted some. So I went across the street to the cafe and asked the man behind the counter for some sugar.

He looked at me with the most bemused expression you could possibly imagine. For a few seconds, he just said nothing. Then he looked down, shook his head and smiled. But it wasn't a nice smile, it was more a smile that said "who is this feckin' eejit?". Then without saying anything he just put a bowl of sugar cubes on the counter and walked away.

I didn't know why he reacted in this way to what I thought was a perfectly normal request. It all became clear when I met my friend outside and he explained that he had actually gotten that cup of coffee from a completely different place, in fact the place I went into didn't even do takeaways. So I had just inadvertently waltzed in there expecting them to give me some sugar for a cup of coffee a cup of coffee that was clearly from a totally different cafe. His reaction suddenly became a lot more understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

face1990 wrote: »

I knew I had posted it before, but didn't know what thread (definitely didn't think it was the same thread), it would have taken me ages to find that.

Weren't you a busy little bee Face!

I might post it again in a few 100 posts, see if anyone notices :pac:

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    I knew I had posted it before, but didn't know what thread (definitely didn't think it was the same thread), it would have taken me ages to find that.

Weren't you a busy little bee Face!

I might post it again in a few 100 posts, see if anyone notices :pac:

I had read through the whole thread just the night before and that was one of the more memorable stories! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

this happened to my sister... last december she was in dublin city centre doing her xmas shopping. she had a slight cold and wasn't feeling very good but presents had to be bought. surprisingly everybody was very nice to her, shops staff, cashiers etc... after long day she got a bus back home, and even on the bus everybody was smiling at her and being nice, it had to be xmas mood she thought until... she got back home and looked at the mirror... that chilly december day she was wearing navy leather gloves she bought couples days ago. navy dye was running like mad leaving marks on everything she touched, especially the skin of her face. what she told me was "you wouldn't believe me how many times you touch your face during the day without noticing it..." her being sick resulted in her continuously touching face around the nose and her loose hair constantly needed to be pushed back behind her ears... at the end half of her face was this greyish-blue color, no wonder she looked like her make-up had gone very bad and everybody smiled at her but didn't say a word...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Working in Xtravision, a little girl and her mum were in to get a video. They were browsing around for a while and the girl started to look uncomfortable;

"Mam I need to do a poo"
    "Wait a few minutes until your dad gets here"

A few minutes pass, no sign of the dad and I'm putting empty boxes back on the shelf beside them.

"Are you okay?" says the mum
    "I just did a few rippers, I'm okay"

Had to run out to the back and laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

When the girl says "I am just gonna count this out nowww..." and her eyes divert me down to the biggest bosoms

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Kettleson wrote: »
    ???
    I loved the scene were the lift moved and the doors opened just as he was walking out and a family was walking in. Simply hilarious and somewhat reminiscent of Buster Keaton in the classic movie 'Parlor, Bedroom and Bath'. Excellent.

Am a she not a he! :D

Sorry about that rambling mess last night but it was funny to me.

The look on the women's faces was coz we had all gotten into the lift on the 4th floor and I said I was wanting to go to the 4th floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Witchie your story reminded me of when I was in hospital for a good while. You see all lifes stories pass by you.

I was in the lifts on a regular basis and one time this poor wee woman was in there huggin her son (he was about 11 or 12 years old in his pyjamas) and she was very emotional saying she loved him and for him to be good and not to worry, and that she missed him and that he'd be home soon etc and she was awful weepy. And he just kept silent and nodded his head once or twice.

And I'm thinking this wee fecer is playing it cool with his mum and won't even say good bye to her or nothing. And I was going to word him but I'm glad I didn't. Turned out he was in to get his tonsils out.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

A work colleague's partner told me this story today.. He used to work as a cashier in a branch of Petworld, and saw a small guy and his mum coming up to the counter, and he was carrying a big bag of dog nuts on his shoulder. The cashier said "well aren't you the great little man for helping your mammy" When the big of dog nuts were hoiked up onto the counter, it became apparent the the little boy in question, was in fact a dwarf......

bleedin morto, Joe.

I left my baby behind me in a shop. In my defense i was only 18 and he was two weeks old and i was only gettin used to lugging a baby around with me. I was sittin in my grans having a coffe and she suddenly asks " wheres the baby". I raced round to the shop and there he was in his little baby holder yoke up on the counter and the girls working there roaring laughing at me, it was a tad embarrassing alright. hes 14 now and i havnt ****ed up since

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

On the first day of my first ever job(tills at a large supermarket) and my manager was just showing me how to set it up for myself and how the cashbox works, like how much money I would get for it at the start of each shift and all that. She was finished explaining everything and I was ready to start, there was already a queue forming at my till, so she tells me to put the cashbox into the compartment for it. It was really heavy and I couldn't get a grip on it from under so I grabbed the handles on top - of course it wasn't locked or anything - all the money crashed out, very loudly and went everywhere, and a lot of the change stuck to the magnet part of the thing that takets the security tag off bottles. The manager was less than impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭cuana

I left my baby behind me in a shop. In my defense i was only 18 and he was two weeks old and i was only gettin used to lugging a baby around with me. I was sittin in my grans having a coffe and she suddenly asks " wheres the baby". I raced round to the shop and there he was in his little baby holder yoke up on the counter and the girls working there roaring laughing at me, it was a tad embarrassing alright. hes 14 now and i havnt ****ed up since

Which reminds of a story! My cousin has twins so while out shopping one day she can't find her son in the shop she starts to panic runs out into the shopping center screaming his name looking for him after a few minutes of searching she finds him only to then realize she'd left his sister behind him in the shop :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

daithi1970 wrote: »
    A work colleague's partner told me this story today.. He used to work as a cashier in a branch of Petworld, and saw a small guy and his mum coming up to the counter, and he was carrying a big bag of dog nuts on his shoulder. The cashier said "well aren't you the great little man for helping your mammy" When the big of dog nuts were hoiked up onto the counter, it became apparent the the little boy in question, was in fact a dwarf......

bleedin morto, Joe.

This post gives me a weird feeling in my tummy!

Super cringe! I'm actually squirming for the guy :D

Advertisement