Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Embarrasing Moments In Shops

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭IK09

I was visiting the missus a while back when she was working in Carlow. It was a friday night and she was sick. I was headed to the petrol station to get some condoms. But being such a sensitive boyfriend i said id pick her up something to make her feel better...other than condoms.

So im at the window ordering through the glass to this fella runnin around the shop to get the condoms, when i roar in the window "sure ya might aswell gimme a litre of raspberry ripple ice cream, and some chocolate sauce while yer there", i hadnt noticed the group of young lads that had started queuing behind me. The whole lot of them just started roaring. it was pretty funny. as i was leavin i turned to the young lads, gave a wink and said "stay in school lads"

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Steodonn

Posted this before, but feck it.

In the Centra at the corner of Moore St and Parnell St in (Dublin) town, queuing at the deli for a roll. Junkie-type bloke in front of me is next up but refuses being served by the black girl making the sambos. In fact, he insists that the white bloke who's restocking the lettuce etc. is the one that will serve him.

The poor black girl is a bit stunned and says, "What did you say?" He replies, "I said, i don't want you going NEAR me roll, i want him to make it". By this stage, most of the shop is deathly silent and staring over wondering whats gonna happen next, including the big black security guard.

The white bloke behind the counter notices that something is up, so turns and asks what the story is. The junkie says, "I want a ham and cheese roll, no butter, but i want you to make it. Not her". The deli-guy says "why?", and your man replies:
    "Cos she's ****e at making rolls"!!! The whole place lets out a collective sigh of relief, and i couldn't help but think that it was US who were the one's being discriminatory, as every one of us expected him to be some sort of racist

I had similar thing with a new Arab girl at a deli I used to get lunch at. She was terrible at making rolls everything would start falling out so I used to try and time it so I got the other girl who was Irish. Never said anything if she ended up making my roll for fear of looking racist but she got the hang of it after awhile so it wasn't a issue for long

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Plankton1 wrote: »
    Another time, when I was a teenager, we were bag packing as a fundraiser. I went to put a woman's box of tampons into a plastic bag when i somehow dropped it and the box opened, tampons spilling everywhere, I nearly died scrabbling round on the ground to pick them up.

Do they make men's tampons now too? :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Do they make men's tampons now too? :eek:

The box of tampons belonging to some woman :p

I'm still bemused at the spare underwear one :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

bluewolf wrote: »
    The box of tampons belonging to some woman :p

I'm still bemused at the spare underwear one :confused:

Aw, that makes more sense.

Do all women carry spare knickers in their handbag? I've never done this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Aw, that makes more sense.

Do all women carry spare knickers in their handbag? I've never done this.

I never have either. Never heard of it before!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

First time shopping for clothes in Tokyo. Go into the changing cubicle (small shop, so it opened straight out on to the shop,not a changing room), take off my jeans, then realise that one of the shop assistants is urgently saying something to me in Japanese from outside the curtain.

I poke my head out, and upon realising I can't speak Japanese he just keeps repeating "shoes" at me. I had to get dressed again and go out to try figure out what he was on about. I thought he was saying I shouldn't have bare feet inside the cubicle, but I was actually wearing those skin coloured socks so I kept pointing at my feet and saying "socks". This exchange of "shoes" / "socks" went on for about 2 minutes to the confusion of everyone else in the shop before I finally understood.

Turns out you're not supposed to wear your shoes into the cubicle, but take them off and leave them outside. Felt mortified going up to buy the trousers afterwards :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

Sometimes I have to take my grandmother out and she always gets into a fight with someone. Recently I took her to the supermarket. she took a trolley, filled it up and we went to the till. she unloaded all of her shopping and then pushed the trolley away in the direction of the trolley stands, forgetting she'd need to load her shopping up afterwards. So while we were paying, the queue filled up behind us. At the end my grandmother looked around for her trolley, forgetting she'd gotten rid of it. She turned round to the woman behind us in the queue, saw that the woman had a trolley and assumed she'd stolen ours. My grandmother roared at her in front of everyone, "You've pinched my trolley, you cheeky moo!" The woman began to protest her innocence, not knowing what my old one was on about. I found another trolley, loaded up our stuff and began to drag my grandmother away, the whole while my grandmother was still shouting at the woman, "You're a cheeky moo! get your own bloody trolley!"Everyone was staring at us like we were the scum of the earth.

But the worst is if I ever have to get in a taxi with her, she always starts a fight with the driver. Last week we go a taxi to the shops and the driver took an ever-so-slightly different route from the one she's used to. she began yelling at him, accusing him of driving a longer way to increase the fare. she was yelling things like "Where are you going? You're driving us all over the moon!" The whole journey from start to finish took less than five minutes, but as we pulled up to the shops, she yelled at the driver "If you'd gone the right way we would have been here half an hour ago!" :confused: The driver turned round, really confused and said "half an hour ago?" He obviously thought he was dealing with a total lunatic. He'd only driven us one short road out of our usual way, but my grandmother claimed, in all seriousness, that he'd driven us all the way "to Totnes and back" before taking us to the supermarket. Totnes is three towns away from where we were and he took us nowehere near it.:confused:

Should you not bring her to the doctor or something, alzheimers maybe? :(
    Forgetful and angry sounds like it

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DwightSchrute1

This happened to my girlfriend's sister when she was shopping with her mother. While the mother in law and my girlfriend were at the checkout, her sister ran up to them handing them a packet of jellies which she wanted them to buy for her..it turned out that they weren't jellies, but fruit flavoured condoms!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

She goes to the doctor all the time, if she had anything they would have picked it up by now. Anyway she's always been the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

I got a very panicky text from my Girlfriend who had gone shopping while I was left at home... it went something along the lines of:

"I NEED HELP URGENT! SPORTS SHOP CHANGING ROOM NOW!"....

Her phone wasn't answering and I got over there not knowing what was happening and honestly expecting the worst.

Went into the shop - up the changing room stalls ... she opened the door in a state of half undress bright red.

She tried on a sports bra that was too small and was completely stuck and badly needed help extracting herself from it.

To make matters worse there was only male staff in the store that early in the morning so she couldnt ask for help - they really must have been wondering whats going on and why she was in the cubicle for 20 mins shuffling around.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭hawkeyethenoo

was in new york when i was about 15, went into footlocker with my mam and sister. saw these pair of black nike runners. called over the black sales man who was walking around enthusiasticly helping everyone to ask for the runners in my size. he then shouted out loudly THOSE ARE WOMENS MAN and the whole shop starting looking at me as if i was some freak who wanted a pair of womens runners. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭lachin

was in new york when i was about 15, went into footlocker with my mam and sister. saw these pair of black nike runners. called over the black sales man who was walking around enthusiasticly helping everyone to ask for the runners in my size. he then shouted out loudly THOSE ARE WOMENS MAN and the whole shop starting looking at me as if i was some freak who wanted a pair of womens runners. :(

Great story...glad I stayed up to see that!

Smidge wrote: »
    I've just read that now and sweet mother that is some twisted stuff.
    Punching people in the face as part of sex now????:confused::eek:

*hangs head and weeps*

You could knock a tooth out. :eek:

That should be renamed the Urban Myth Dictionary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

The time when i had an armful of shopping (too lazy to get a basket) and dropped a knorr quick lunch.
    Instant reaction was to stick my foot out.

Drop kicked it at the back of one of the shop assistants heads. That wasn't awkward at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Candie wrote: »
    You could knock a tooth out. :eek:

That should be renamed the Urban Myth Dictionary.

Eh it wasn't a sex act thank you:mad:

Would have eased the pain somewhat though:(
    :pac:

Eh it wasn't a sex act thank you:mad:

So you say Worzel :)

I once walked into a mirror in a department store, and apologized loudly to my reflection :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Candie wrote: »
    So you say Worzel :)

I once walked into a mirror in a department store, and apologized loudly to my reflection :(

People will think we are in lurve :D
    And btw your reflection is lovely, no need to apologise to it:D

All the same though, punching your partner during sex??

As they say in Dublin........
    "Do wha, die tryin"

People will think we are in lurve :D
    And btw your reflection is lovely, no need to apologise to it:D

Haha! Likewise :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭markomuscle

I have a lot including a Father Ted scenario involving getting lost in a ladies underwear section.

Once at a Tesco self checkout I was day-dreaming and the screen said 'Amount due' or something, I assumed that was the amount of change I was about to receive, I waited for a while and was getting frustrated at my 22p not falling out, I gave up hope and so I walked out and I was followed by a couple of security guards calling after me, I then realised that I hadn't read the screen properly and I actually owed 22p, I then had to spend 10 minutes with the security guards giving them my details and explaining the situation, i'm surprised I wasn't handcuffed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

I have a lot including a Father Ted scenario involving getting lost in a ladies underwear section.

Tell me about it. That awkward moment when you look up and find the store security watching you masturbate into the frilly red knickers.
    Oh how we LOLLed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

A few years ago, I went into the local hairdressers to get my hair done for my debs.

Walked up to the counter and said to the "Hi, I'm booked in for a wash and blowjob"

She looked at me weird and I was thinking, what the fcuk is this wagon's problem!?

Only when I was lying looking up at the ceiling while she washed my hair did I realise what I said. Turned bright red, didn't say a word to her as she dried my hair and haven't gone back to that hairdressers since.

I've read the whole thread but THIS one got to me the most.
    I was not only laughing but I was snotting and coughing and crying.
    Thank you.:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

When the cute little boy in the stripey trckpants says non too discretely "jaysus, some amount of weirdoes in heyore mah" to which mother in the very same type slacks replies "gawwwd i know, tell me abouhr ih..."

BFF? they seemed to have found some common ground. can only have dreamt a relationship with my mother like that even if much, to the detriment of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I have social phobia/anxiety so every moment I spend in any shop is embarassing and awkward to me,even if nothing normal folk regard as embarrasing happens.

It's a pain in the arse,though I do save money,just by avoiding going into them as much as is humanly possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

I have social phobia/anxiety so every moment I spend in any shop is embarassing and awkward to me,even if nothing normal folk regard as embarrasing happens.

It's a pain in the arse,though I do save money,just by avoiding going into them as much as is humanly possible.

That's just a confidence issue. maybe in tandem with being in the wrong place, at the wrong time much like myself I mean it's hardly inspiring surrounded by paired off people who are winding down and their children. And that's all well be taken for, if this keeps up -

it's only apprehension. borne out of a malaise, fcuk diagnoses. I mean I'm crazy as they come but I certainly wouldn't admit to it

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

IK09 wrote: »
    I was visiting the missus a while back when she was working in Carlow. It was a friday night and she was sick. I was headed to the petrol station to get some condoms. But being such a sensitive boyfriend i said id pick her up something to make her feel better...other than condoms.

yeah "sensitive " ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

Years ago I was walking down Grafton St. and noticed that a clothes shop had a '30% off sale' on Levi's Boot-Cut jeans.
    I strolled in the door and made a bee-line for a table piled with jeans with a 'sale' sign hanging over them, grabbed a pair in my size and headed for the dressing room.
    The jeans were poorly cut, pinched a bit and despite being my size seemed far to tight, so thinking to myself, '30% off because they're shyte' I peeled them off and headed to put them back....

...that's when I realised that the men's department was actually upstairs......morto!

And to make matters worse there was a female sales assistant standing there with a grin on her face asking me, 'is there anything I can help you with?'
    Naturally I just muttered something non-commital about 'just looking' and bolted for the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

I remember condoms fell out of my wallet once when I was paying for something at a wee local shop. That was mortifying. You should have seen the look on yer woman's face. She was a real holy Joe.
    That was ages ago but the opposite happened recently in Sainsburys.
    I went up to the till with a big bottle of whiskey, a 24 pack of cider and a big box of condoms. The girl at the till was in her early 20s. "I see you have a nice evening planned," she said and the two of us just burst out laughing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

conorhal wrote: »
    Years ago I was walking down Grafton St. and noticed that a clothes shop had a '30% off sale' on Levi's Boot-Cut jeans.
    I strolled in the door and made a bee-line for a table piled with jeans with a 'sale' sign hanging over them, grabbed a pair in my size and headed for the dressing room.
    The jeans were poorly cut, pinched a bit and despite being my size seemed far to tight, so thinking to myself, '30% off because they're shyte' I peeled them off and headed to put them back....

...that's when I realised that the men's department was actually upstairs......morto!

And to make matters worse there was a female sales assistant standing there with a grin on her face asking me, 'is there anything I can help you with?'
    Naturally I just muttered something non-commital about 'just looking' and bolted for the door.

How did you manage to pick up your size when women's sizes are done differently, size 8/10/12 as opposed to 32/34inch waist?

Advertisement