Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Embarrasing Moments In Shops

Options
  • 12-09-2012 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭

was in the euro shop with my father in law yesterday getting some chocolate and bits and bobs. prior to going in we were having a chat about hill walking (which the father in law is passionate about) and he mentioned that he needed vaseline for his and his wifes feet to reduce friction

anyway, we proceed to the till where he tells the girl 'i need this for me and the wife to reduce friction', and just stands there without batting an eyelid.
    the poor girl went purple and i couldnt stop laughing while at the same time trying to get him out of the shop. i was very embarrased for him.
    i should point out that my father in law is very innocent when it comes to innuendo and didnt for a second realise what he said

so, what are your tales of embarrasing moments in shops?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

Isn't this a slightly altered version of a current thread??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Face Licker

I licked some guy in the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭bleepp

I was in Centra at the weekend buying a big county flag for the final, I was in again the next day and the girl at the till asks did I put the flag out?
    I said I did, but had an awful problem getting it up..few in the queue were giggling away..

anyway up Mayo!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I slipped on some spilled liquid, caught the fall somehow, but crashed into a shelf

• Registered Users Posts: 11,027 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I parked my "boy-racer" car outside the local shop once. Went in just to buy something and the daggers I was getting from the shop keeper were unreal. Now what I was wearing what could be deemed as "scumbag" attire (I was just home from work and slipped into a tracksuit for comfort), but I felt offended.

Joke's on him though because as the shopkeeper followed me out the door making sure I wasn't shoplifting his precious store, apparently some old lady in the shop at the same time fleeced his till!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I was once caught with my trousers round my ankles at the self-service checkout.

I'd never seen one before, how was I to know?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

A few years ago I was in Spar getting Sunday morning papers when the old lady in front of me drops her purse and change scatters everywhere.I tell her I'll collect the change and bring it out to her in the car. All fine until I realise the extent of the scatter and have to get down on my hands and knees to get the last few euro ( wouldn't have done it if it was my own but when it was someone else's I didn't want to leave it.) Suddenly an ex teacher in the queue recognises me and starts a big loud oration to the guy behind the counter about what a "great girl" I was in school. So if everyone wasn't already looking at me crawling around they certainly were now.I was completely embarrassed to the point of hardly being able to respond as she's reeming out my leaving cert results to the shop. Then she asks me "you went to college didn't you? And what are you doing now?" to which I responded " picking up change".

Only afterwards when she'd left I realised she and everyone else watching had meant me to respond with my career or something. Total humiliation.Like things were bad but they weren't THAT bad.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

OP if that is true that is brilliant LOL :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

A few years ago I was in Spar getting Sunday morning papers when the old lady in front of me drops her purse and change scatters everywhere.I tell her I'll collect the change and bring it out to her in the car. All fine until I realise the extent of the scatter and have to get down on my hands and knees to get the last few euro ( wouldn't have done it if it was my own but when it was someone else's I didn't want to leave it.) Suddenly an ex teacher in the queue recognises me and starts a big loud oration to the guy behind the counter about what a "great girl" I was in school. So if everyone wasn't already looking at me crawling around they certainly were now.I was completely embarrassed to the point of hardly being able to respond as she's reeming out my leaving cert results to the shop. Then she asks me "you went to college didn't you? And what are you doing now?" to which I responded " picking up change".

Only afterwards when she'd left I realised she and everyone else watching had meant me to respond with my career or something. Total humiliation.Like things were bad but they weren't THAT bad.:(

Hey, you gave her the right answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

About 10 years ago I went to the counter of a shop to buy a tin of pop (can of coke) and reached into my pocket, took out a chunk of shrapnel (change) and plopped it on the counter, among the coins was a big olde nodge (cannabis lump) and the lady behind the counter just opened her eyes really wide staring at it, I just said sorry and sheepishly scurried out of the shop with my red face and drink.
    Took me about 2 years to gather up the courage to ever go back into the shop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Shane St. wrote: »
    OP if that is true that is brilliant LOL :D

on my sons life

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Gotya

Was in a shop. I often go into for small things. As the fella working there was handing me my change,
    he said "now, there you go and don't forget your cigarettes "
    I meant to say "lovely yea"

but i said "love ya"

Talk about awkward. I said goodluck and ran outta the place, the poor fcukin fella working didn't know what to think or say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

I parked my "boy-racer" car outside the local shop once. Went in just to buy something and the daggers I was getting from the shop keeper were unreal. Now what I was wearing what could be deemed as "scumbag" attire (I was just home from work and slipped into a tracksuit for comfort), but I felt offended.

Joke's on him though because as the shopkeeper followed me out the door making sure I wasn't shoplifting his precious store, apparently some old lady in the shop at the same time fleeced his till!

I remember that advert :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭rebel89

This is brilliant! Dying laughing here!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

He didn't see the innuendo in that !!?

Ive never come across such a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I went down the deli in my local shop recently and saw two men sitting down at a table near by. Turned out it was Bono and a mate. I rushed over and asked Bono's mate to take a pic of me and Bono, to which he duly obliged, to be fair. I thought he looked a bit odd as he wore a funny hat.

It was only when leaving the shop, was it pointed out to me that Bono's mate was in fact the Pope, I was morto.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

I went down the deli in my local shop recently and saw two men sitting down at a table near by. Turned out it was Bono and a mate. I rushed over and asked Bono's mate to take a pic of me and Bono, to which he duly obliged, to be fair. I thought he looked a bit odd as he wore a funny hat.

It was only when leaving the shop, was it pointed out to me that Bono's mate was in fact the Pope, I was morto.

Micky you're fair witty these days!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

Micky you're fair witty these days!:D

I thought Mickey was playing some Mod mischief and had merged the threads!

Feck sake! :pac:

EDIT: Suppose I'd better make an actual contribution now-

Some time last year I was inside in a GAME shop and I spotted a pair of "Turtle Beach" headphones for my XBOX (think really, really high spec headphones!), and the price written in marker on them was €14.99. My eyes nearly popped at the knock-down price!

Straight away I grabbed up the box and made a bee line for the counter. Got to the counter, where I could barely contain my excitement at the bargain I'd just picked up! The guy behind the counter scanned it anyway and to my absolute horror, €114.99 flashed up on the till! :(

I just stood there slack jawed for a minute before I slipped my card back into my wallet, muttered "emm, no, I won't be taking them thanks...", the walk of shame as I returned the headphones to the shelf that just HAD to be off down what now felt like the furthest, darkest corner of the shop, and then having to walk ALL the way back up through the shop again to get out the door... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

I was in Tesco in Jervis one sunday morning, hardly anyone there. I only went in for a few things, didn't bother getting a basket, and after about 10 mins I had my arms full, of stuff I didn't even come in to buy. On the top of the pile there was a yoghurt balancing, and of course it fell, I envisioned it falling to the floor, opening and creating a huge mess, so I thought I'd "break the fall" with my foot...

My leg had other ideas. What was supposed to be a gentle "foot catch" was instead a mighty kick, yoghurt went flying and hit the corner of the bread stand and exploded. Yoghurt... everywhere.

Morto. :o

*Edit: oh just to explain, I was just after finishing a 15K cycle... my legs were a little jittery!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

i had to take a bar out of my pocket at the checkout today and pay for it

son: are you buying the bar?

me: what bar?

son: that bar (points at my pocket)

me: did you put it there?

son- no , you did!

- embarrassing-i could hear someone laughing behind me

dunno how the fu#k it got there
    -didn't give out to him after anyhow
    these things happen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

Rigol wrote: »

Ive never come across such a man.
    You shouldn't be comming across any man you will make god angry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Skinfull wrote: »
    I was in Tesco in Jervis one sunday morning, hardly anyone there. I only went in for a few things, didn't bother getting a basket, and after about 10 mins I had my arms full, of stuff I didn't even come in to buy. On the top of the pile there was a yoghurt balancing, and of course it fell, I envisioned it falling to the floor, opening and creating a huge mess, so I thought I'd "break the fall" with my foot...

My leg had other ideas. What was supposed to be a gentle "foot catch" was instead a mighty kick, yoghurt went flying and hit the corner of the bread stand and exploded. Yoghurt... everywhere.

Morto. :o

*Edit: oh just to explain, I was just after finishing a 15K cycle... my legs were a little jittery!

That was so funny , :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

This wasn't embarrassing for me As I was an onlooker but...

Was in Dunne's one day, making my way down the main isle past all the clothes to do a bit of food shopping.

As I got a bit closer I could see the manager, superviser and a few assistants looking rather disgusted and puzzled. The manager was making slow movements, his head darting all around.

Then an assistant came along with a bucket, and as she set up her cleaning gear I took a look down to see a big sh!t in the middle of the isle and smear marks taking off from it all the way out of the entrance.

It was by far the amusing thing I've seen in a shop. What's even stranger is that none of the customers gave a cr@p (bar one) , didn't even bat an eyelid! Just carried on about their business like it happens all the time.

Still puzzles me to this day as to who did it and why!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

smear marks taking off from it all the way out of the entrance.

Ironically I almost shat myself laughing at that!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

who the fuck would do a pony right in the middle of a supermarket?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

Walking around Abercrombie & Fitch years ago when I was in NYC on a family holiday....with my Dad. He tends to shout really loudly when loud music is playing. He was roaring his head off telling me about the "young wans saying 'What's Up' every 2 mins" Moaning about the dim lights, and typical Dad fashion, giving off about the price of everything.....really loudly.

On the same holiday, we were in a small Bose store, my Dad can't not touch anything, he set off about 6 Bose Docks at full volume, and he couldn't turn them off again, the whole shop was looking, staff getting rightly pissed off. He then put on a pair of a pair of the Noise Cancelling headphone and roared at the top of his voice, "How much are these yokes, they're really comfy" I just ripped the headphone off him marched him out, I felt like the Dad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

who the f[SIZE="2"]u[/SIZE]ck would do a pony right in the middle of a supermarket?

I would've said "somebody who didn't give a shìt!" but clearly- they did! :pac:

Fúck it I'll read that post again when my ribs stop hurting from laughing so much! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭girlonfire

This thread is hilarious!

I sometimes think mannequins are real people and get a fright. That's about the height of the embarrassment

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

More embarrassing for my dad than me.

We were in ASDA one day, I would've been about 8, my brothers 5 and 2. Somehow, we get separated from Dad after running around the aisles.

My brothers are freaking out, and I lead them over to the customer service counter and tell the assistant we've lost Dad. A minute later she puts out an announcement, 'Could Mr Brummysdad please come to customer services, where your children are waiting for you'. Cue my dad running over, bright as a tomato with embarrassment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Thatsfootball

In a book shop a few years ago (as a child, with my sister and decided I'd release gas of epic proportions. Little did I know the gas was as strong as it turned out to be.
    So there I was lookin at calculators :o when this fierce noise is ballooned through the small shop. Then a girl I know looked around the other side and just laughed at me. In desparation I blamed my sister and ran away :cool:
    Good times! :D

Advertisement