Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android-Driven Petite PC €57.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Dothehustle

Should be getting it tomorrow .. Is there any way to control it from ur android phone ????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Are these the 1gb versions or the 512mb ones you're getting? I'm getting tempted by them now...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Vego wrote: »
    need a forum on this for say sky go does it work and rotation lock some of my apps opening sideways etc

Rikomagic MK802 Forums
    Should be getting it tomorrow .. Is there any way to control it from ur android phone ????

You can use Droidmote.

Scroll down this thread to post #4 from Andy Kirby and it has all the links you need.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

http://www.rikomagic.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=96&sid=3261c22c2965b97e24fea6c22e359dbe

MK802II.jpg
    The Rikomagic MK802 II will feature much improved connectivity including 3 USB sockets (2 x micro and 1 x standard) and a full size HDMI plug which extends from the end of the device to allow easier connection to displays. Full specs are not 100% clear yet but the fundamentals (Allwinner A10 SoC) will stay the same.

This new version is expected to arrive some time in September and there is already talk of a Dual Core device which we are very excited about

More information will hopefully be available soon and as always will be posted here first!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

The problem with the new design is having the weight of 3 usbs and a power cable hanging out the back of a monitor could cause damage to the HDMI slot. There needs to be Bluetooth and a battery, then it would be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

Received my z802 this morning, after a brief stop over in customs. I've only gotten as far as the customized Android boot logo so far.

Doesn't seem to want to boot :-/

Also tried registering on at zero-devices.com which doesn't seem to work either. I dunno if it's safe to flash an mk802 firmware on it.

Looks like I'm screwed.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Anyone for Street View working on this ? I've used allwinner mod to spoof it as a Xoom but street view ain't showing in the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Simi wrote: »
    Received my z802 this morning, after a brief stop over in customs. I've only gotten as far as the customized Android boot logo so far.

Doesn't seem to want to boot :-/

Also tried registering on at zero-devices.com which doesn't seem to work either. I dunno if it's safe to flash an mk802 firmware on it.

Looks like I'm screwed.

Nah, never!

With Android its hard to screw it up, try re installing it, full guide on the ricomagik.co.UK forums, can't link now on my phone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Not sure if it has been mentioned already but found another product similar to the MK802 called the Oval Elephant (strange name I know). Supposedly the first one of these devices Linux (Linaro) and xbmc will be ported over.

http://www.ovalelephant.com/p-2062-mini-pc-android-linux-linaro-a10-chip-1gb-ddr3-ram

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭Nollog

Chet T16 wrote: »
    Are these the 1gb versions or the 512mb ones you're getting? I'm getting tempted by them now...

I done got the 512 version. It's p. good.
    Lubuntu works great, even though I couldn't find a usb keyboard for it.
    Android is fine too, just doesn't feel right without touch to me. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

Fieldog wrote: »
    Nah, never!

With Android its hard to screw it up, try re installing it, full guide on the ricomagik.co.UK forums, can't link now on my phone...

Different manufacturer. Dunno if it's safe to flash their firmware on top.

I emailed both the supplier and manufacturer. Neither has gotten back to me yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Hmm, I think I might wait for the next iteration of this product. It does seem cool though.

Dual core would be brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Just ordered one of these as a bit of a birthday treat, I was looking at getting a nexus 7 tablet either so effectively I've saved €150 to spend elsewhere.

It'll be interesting to compare it to the Pi

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭cuculainn

ED E wrote: »
    Step 1. Have Smart Tv
    Step 2. Plug into said smart tv and connect HDMI
    Step 3. Have smart tv "running" android.

Am I getting this wrong or would one of these devices not eliminate the need for a smart tV?

If you have a "non" smart tv with just a USB/HDMI connection, would hooking this thing up sort of turn it into one? or am I missing something?

The main reason this isn't a replacement for a smart tv is the awkwardness in controlling it. There's a lot to be said for being able to use a proper remote control and have things just work.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭TheTurk1972

I wonder can you buy a remote control unit that you could just plug into it.

The main reason this isn't a replacement for a smart tv is the awkwardness in controlling it. There's a lot to be said for being able to use a proper remote control and have things just work.

From a price point of view though you could probably buy a decent LED tv for half the price of a smart tv.
    if you used this piece of kit would you get the same functionality as a smart tv with just a little less user friendliness?

I haven't seen the functionality of any smart TVs but I'd imagine they are pretty limited.

You can control one of these really well ( or a laptop with Windows) using a phone or tablet and your dumb TV will be considerably smarter than an over priced smart TV

groom wrote: »
    I haven't seen the functionality of any smart TVs but I'd imagine they are pretty limited.

You can control one of these really well ( or a laptop with Windows) using a phone or tablet and your dumb TV will be considerably smarter than an over priced smart TV

Yeah so thats what I was wondering.....could I save a bucket load by getting a regular LED and some thing like one of these....???

I have no interest in 3D tv so I think I might be better off going down this road.....

Would you be even better off hooking up a regular PC to a Dumb tv than getting a smart tv

• Advertisement

groom wrote: »

Lots of "Smart TV's" I have looked at aren't very smart at all, in particular I looked at the Samsung line up and it varies from model to model whether they have a web browser included or not, you have to go to the high end models to get the browser.

Even at that lots of web content rely on there being an app available to be able to play.

IMO these types of devices are miles better than having a smart TV.

Some device running droidmote is definitely a good solution as a remote control. I haven't gotten around to it yet but I have finally got a good reason to install android on my touchpad.

I don't tend to watch much TV at this time of year but hopefully by the winter they will have XBMC fully sorted and I will finally put the MK802 to good use.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Do-more wrote: »
    I don't tend to watch much TV at this time of year but hopefully by the winter they will have XBMC fully sorted and I will finally put the MK802 to good use.

Thats done already... looking forward to trying it out myself!

http://xbmc.org/theuni/2012/07/13/xbmc-for-android/

Access wrote: »
    Thats done already... looking forward to trying it out myself!

http://xbmc.org/theuni/2012/07/13/xbmc-for-android/

It's still not fully sorted yet to the best of my knowledge, no hardware acceleration for the Mali GPU in the MK802 and various other things still broken but they are working on it and as I said hopefully it will be all sorted and running smoothly within a few months.

Rikomagic also released the Rev. 2 firmware last week but managed to break various features which were working in Rev. 1.

CM9 is now also available for the MK802.

I haven't searched for the best price but I did have a mail from aliexpress which had MK802's for US$62 so prices are dropping already.

I would suggest though that anyone thinking about buying one of these to hold off for a while as a mark 2 version is coming soon and there are also various other A10 based mini PC and Google TV devices popping up at the moment.

Without fully polished software being available yet you are as well off to take your time and see how things pan out in the Autumn.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

http://www.ibood.com/ie/en

has the MK802+ for €69.95+€12.50

At least it is the 1Gb version but this is obsolete already.

The MK802 II is already shipping and available from around US$66 from Aliexpress sellers or £59.99 from Cloudsto in the UK (but this is still shipped direct from China with DHL so you will get stung for customs charges).

The version that ibood are selling is around US$55 on Aliexpress now which is around €45 so even with customs charges it will be a lot cheaper than the ibood price.

invest4deepvalue.com

Have had mine about a week now. Droidmote is excellent with it. Has worked great so far as a torrent box / media player.

One annoyance is when the occasional app goes into portrait mode. Rotation Lock (came with it) doesn't seem to stop all apps rotating or else I'm not using it properly.

Occasionally the screen blacks out for a second but it hasn't happened while playing content yet.

I'm getting this to extend it - Polaroid 32 GB CL10 micro SDHC

Generally very happy with it. Would well recommend it with Droidmote

Do-more wrote: »

At least it is the 1Gb version but this is obsolete already.

The MK802 II is already shipping and available from around US$66 from Aliexpress sellers or £59.99 from Cloudsto in the UK (but this is still shipped direct from China with DHL so you will get stung for customs charges).

The version that ibood are selling is around US$55 on Aliexpress now which is around €45 so even with customs charges it will be a lot cheaper than the ibood price.
    That just seems to be a refresh rather than the 'proper' mkII that was talked about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Sconsey

I have one of these on pre-order, the controller looks good....

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2028163448/equiso-smart-tv-turn-any-tv-into-a-smart-tv

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Can a 1TB drive filled with 1080p HD movies be connected to this? Will they playback on the TV without any stuttering lads?

Thanks,
    M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

madmoe wrote: »
    Can a 1TB drive filled with 1080p HD movies be connected to this? Will they playback on the TV without any stuttering lads?

Thanks,
    M

Yes.

Advertisement