Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android-Driven Petite PC €57.99

Options
  • 19-05-2012 9:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭

Saw this posted on lifeofandroid and thought it looks pretty sweet to be honest.

1_600x450-580x380.jpg

Description

This is the MK802 computer-in-a-stick, a Chinese designed and built memory stick sized embedded computer, available in both full-sized USB and micro-USB formats, with a built-in 4GB of flash storage, a 1.5GHz AllWinner A10 processor, 512MB of RAM and, of course, preloaded Android 4.0.
    The latest in a line of highly fashionable (and desirable) PC-in-your-pocket embedded systems, this mini miracle follows the likes of the Cotton Candy and the widely press-covered Raspberry Pi, and despite the waiflike weight of just 200g, comes Wi-Fi enabled and can even output 1080p videos through HDMI thanks to a MALI400 GPU.
    Sold out but new batch on the 10th June. You need to pre-order also and may take a number of weeks for delivery as it is China.

Flood doors will open now since the Raspberry PI and for €57 I think this is a bargain. You may even get Linux on this with an SD card.

DIRECT LINK TO SITE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

That's pretty amazing I didn't know these even existed. How do you hook them up to a monitor?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Sync

That's pretty amazing I didn't know these even existed. How do you hook them up to a monitor?

They support HDMI :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

I think you'd plug it into a HDMI port on a tv/monitor & the USB port of a keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Question is, could you put ubuntu or some other form of linux on it ? It looks like it would beat the raspberry PI on the basis its faster, packaged and comes with its own Storage memory

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭webels

Among other things this could make a good netflix player. Android netflix app is quite good. These can only get cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Was gonna post this last night, and got lazy, yeah it's pretty good. Windows 8 and Linux can both be installed on it.

It's nearest competitor the Cotton Candy is €189. Youtube Video

Small Article Comparing the two
    Unless you're lucky enough to live in Scandinavia, you'll have to wait till the end of summer to get your Cotton Candy fix. Aching to nab yourself a computer-on-a-stick before then? If you're willing to step down in specs, the Chinese-made MK802 could be the PC in your pocket. For $74 (versus $199 for the Cotton Candy), this 7-ounce device gives you a 1.5-GHz Allwinner A10 CPU, 512MB of RAM, 4GB of storage and, like the Cotton Candy, Android 4.0. FXI's version, on the other hand, packs a dual-core 1.2-GHz Samsung Exynos processor, and while the MK802 offers an HDMI port, the Cotton Candy includes an HDMI connector. The MK802 is slightly bulkier than its sweetly named competitor (3.5 inches vs. 3.1), but that Android logo on the front does wonders for its design cred. AliExpress.com is currently selling the MK802 with free shipping to the US -- click the source link for a gander.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

AntiRip wrote: »
    You need to pre-order also and may take a number of weeks for delivery as it is China.

I can't see the pre order option link on the website. How do you pre order?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭Alkers

Where does it get its power from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Where does it get its power from?

A power adapter. Input 5V2A :eek:

Def 24/7 downloading machine ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Scary stuff alright, but are these yokes just mobile phones with the screen and battery and a few other gubbins taken out ????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭Alkers

AntiRip wrote: »
    A power adapter. Input 5V2A :eek:

Def 24/7 downloading machine ;)

So it needs it's own plug also? Quite a bit more to carry around if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I think this should sadly get an expired tag, Its sold out until June according the website already. I'll be watching it though, seems that the lads in China have paid attention the massive interest in raspberry PI.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Was there a pre order button earlier? Doesn't seem to be one now.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Yeah. Even pre orders seem to have been closed now :(

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Surely this will suck as your TV isn't touch screen.

jayteecork wrote: »
    Surely this will suck as your TV isn't touch screen.

It has bluetooth & usb so u can connect keyboard and mouse.

Also u can get apps in googleplay store to use ur phone or tablet as touchscreen remote control

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Am I correct in thinking that this is essentially a Google TV box shrunk down to the size of a memory stick?

Assuming you don't need the ultra portability of this thing (if you don't count the keyboard, mouse, charger and cables) then are you not just as well off with a Google TV box?

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Do-more wrote: »
    Am I correct in thinking that this is essentially a Google TV box shrunk down to the size of a memory stick?

Assuming you don't need the ultra portability of this thing (if you don't count the keyboard, mouse, charger and cables) then are you not just as well off with a Google TV box?

Linky?

This seems to be back again on pre-order.

Here's another seller on Aliexpress who appears to have stock but it might be wise to contact them and check delivery times.

[Edit] Just asked the seller via the live chat if they have stock, will update when & if I get a reply.

[Edit 2]
    Pisen Chang(2012-05-23 01:19:53)
    you can make order now , i will send order on 3 workdays after aliexpress assure your payment

Pisen Chang(2012-05-23 01:20:05)
    i think on Friday or Sunday will send your order

So I asked- (2012-5-23 10:23:12)
    OK Thank you, you are sure that I will not have to wait weeks for the despatch?
    Pisen Chang(2012-05-23 01:23:17)
    yes
    Pisen Chang(2012-05-23 01:23:25)
    dont worry it

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭guessaname

Hi,

I recently bought an Android box somewhat similiar to this

http://www.lillicotch.com/Blog/2011/12/03/if-you-are-thinking-about-connecting-your-tv-to-the-web/

I'm unable to watch most of the videos on youtube as it never loads them. It tries to load the videos for ages and at last says "format may not be supported".

If you are planning to buy this Android PC make sure that it open the videos properly.

Cheers

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

guessaname wrote: »
    Hi,

I recently bought an Android box somewhat similiar to this

http://www.lillicotch.com/Blog/2011/12/03/if-you-are-thinking-about-connecting-your-tv-to-the-web/

I'm unable to watch most of the videos on youtube as it never loads them. It tries to load the videos for ages and at last says "format may not be supported".

If you are planning to buy this Android PC make sure that it open the videos properly.

Cheers

Android 2.2...that explains that anyway.

This looks awesome, I was hoping to buy a raspberry pie, but this might be a better option!

I've ordered one from the link in my post #21 anyway, will report back whenever I get it.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭mcw92

Would this be good to hook upto my TV and watch Sky player and such? Would it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

dont want to sound all old and whatever but....did you ever think you'd see the day? a computer in your palm. god bless those tech guys around the world

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭guessaname

Android 2.2...that explains that anyway.

This looks awesome, I was hoping to buy a raspberry pie, but this might be a better option!

Sorry my device is Android 2.3 Gingerbread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,022 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

mcw92 wrote: »
    Would this be good to hook upto my TV and watch Sky player and such? Would it work?

Well it will not support the actually sky player website as that is Silverlight driven, but it should work with the sky player app, how good that would be on a tv, im not sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Well it will not support the actually sky player website as that is Silverlight driven, but it should work with the sky player app, how good that would be on a tv, im not sure!

I've read that HDMI out streaming is disabled in the app.
    XDA might have a way to renable such feature tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Does anyone know if this would support playback of matroska videos with embedded subtitles?

• Advertisement

jArgHA wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this would support playback of matroska videos with embedded subtitles?

It has Android 4.0 on it so basically any app in the googleplay store will work, just like phone or tablet. MX Player or BSPlayer will play any file you throw at it with subtitles support.

Advertisement