Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android-Driven Petite PC €57.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Do-more wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that lots of the orders have been delayed.

If you do a search on aliexpress for "MK802" you will find a lot of sellers for these now including the 1Gb versions last time I looked there were some sellers claiming to have them in stock and showing a picture of a full box of them, not sure if those sellers are any more reliable than the one I ordered from.

My tracking is showing that mine arrived in Stockholm airport yesterday, but as we have a bank holiday here tomorrow I doubt I will see it before Thursday or Friday.
    Just got home to find the notice in the door to pick up the package at the post office. Will have to wait for herself to come home and take the kids before I can tip in and get it.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Happy days, should be fun. You weren't caught for duty so maybe?

Happy days, should be fun. You weren't caught for duty so maybe?

Just picked it up now, no duty, he had it marked as a gift (mini IPTV) value of $30, no docket inside, it's a pretty small jiffy bag so shouldn't attract too much attention.

He sent an adaptor for the power supply as well.

No mention of MK802 anywhere just "Android 4.0 Mini PC".

I have to go to some do in the school tonight so won't get much of a chance to play with it immediately.

This is my first android device so don't expect much of a review! But if anyone has any samples they want me to try and play with it pm me a link.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

I use Premotedroid to control my Windows7 laptop using my Desire. It works over wifi. What could you use to control this gadget in the same manner?

Is there anyway of getting around requiring an actual keyboard and mouse out of the box?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

ordered mine today cant wait till next month :D

• Advertisement

so what would you actually use this for, apart from a gadget that is cool for a few days...?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Connecting it to a Tv and using it as a computer. Use it for Netflix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Jet Black wrote: »
    Connecting it to a Tv and using it as a computer. Use it for Netflix.

Having it as a 24/7 torrentbox, newgroups, sickbeard, etc. Using Plex as a streaming box, xbmc. Using AerTv/Filmon apps as your tv. Basically turning your tv into one of those smart tv's. Endless possibilities. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Here is a video from some Oz company selling them. Looks pretty good no?

Seems a bit too jittery for my liking, a 1080 vid you could forgive but going into the menu list should be smooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

Managed to convince the woman to allow me get me this for my Birthday (where did it all go wrong?).

Anyway, any recommendations for a cheap mini HDMI and Keyboard/Mouse? Also, for the USB port, would there be much latency if a small USB hub was connected, and would those cheap bluetooth dongles run on android?

• Advertisement

Didn't get to do much with it yet, but from the settings the one I have got is a AK-MINI-PC-002

Can see anywhere in the settings to tell me how much RAM is installed but I guess its 512Mb.

I plugged in a Logitech wireless mouse and it picked it up straight away. Then tried an unpowered usb hub with the mouse and a Dell keyboard and they are both working fine.

Youtube and RTE player working fine on it but haven't got BBC iplayer to work yet.

[Edit] Have tried installing iplayer and ITV player apps but neither will install as the compatibility check fails coming up with "unknown device".

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

I plugged in a Logitech wireless mouse and it picked it up straight away. Then tried an unpowered usb hub with the mouse and a Dell keyboard and they are both working fine.

Youtube and RTE player working fine on it but haven't got BBC iplayer to work yet.

[Edit] Have tried installing iplayer and ITV player apps but neither will install as the compatibility check fails coming up with "unknown device".

Cool, does it have the google play store installed or is it some other third party "market"? Hoping once other peoples start arriving there will be loads of hacks, mods, and custom firmwares floating around in a few weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭powerstation

Thanks for the mini-review. Have you tried installing the Netflix app? What about Angry Birds? :D

Didn't get to do much with it yet, but from the settings the one I have got is a AK-MINI-PC-002

Can see anywhere in the settings to tell me how much RAM is installed but I guess its 512Mb.

It appears to be Google play store but I'm an android virgin so not 100% sure.

Angry birds is pre-installed but I didn't try it yet. Will try installing the Netflix app later.

How do you kill processes from running? There is 15 -18 running the whole time which is hogging the ram.

Haven't figured out how to see what hardware is installed, gpu, ram etc. How do I do that?

It sure needs a custom rom pretty dreadful interface out of the box.

I'd imagine that having a remote app on your phone would be the way to go because trying to use the os designed for a tablet with a mouse is a pain.

invest4deepvalue.com

I could be wrong but if you go to settings>Applications>Running services. The bottom should show a line graph of Used and Free Mb of Ram. Added together, this is the Ram.... correct me if I'm wrong here.

It appears to be Google play store but I'm an android virgin so not 100% sure.

Angry birds is pre-installed but I didn't try it yet. Will try installing the Netflix app later.

How do you kill processes from running? There is 15 -18 running the whole time which is hogging the ram.

Haven't figured out how to see what hardware is installed, gpu, ram etc. How do I do that?

It sure needs a custom rom pretty dreadful interface out of the box.

I'd imagine that having a remote app on your phone would be the way to go because trying to use the os designed for a tablet with a mouse is a pain.

Custom roms should be on the way soon. I'm sure lots of developers picked up one of these. In the mean time check out the multitude of launchers available in the play store. I'm sure you'll find one to your liking.

As for the ram, if you feel like it's slowing down the device a task manager might improve things. Plenty of those in the market too. Still waiting for mine to ship. Can't wait! :-)

Have you tried installing the Netflix app? What about Angry Birds? :D

Netflix wouldn't install due to failing the compatibility check.

It is Angry Birds Space that is pre-installed on my one.

It's definitely Google Play store that is running on it.

I hope the developers are working on some roms for it so the app access will be improved.

I imagine that all this thing is, is the gubins from a cheap tablet without the screen, I'd imagine that as they ramp up production and a number of different manufacturers are competing for sales the price should fall to $50-$60.

invest4deepvalue.com

Can you sideload apps? Download the apk from a website and load onto card and then install onto phone / petite pc... Might be worth a shot?

Netflix wouldn't install due to failing the compatibility check.

Hmm, there's youtube videos showing it running. Maybe they're running different software, or just lying. Could be the resolution of the display you have it linked to?

There are netflix apk's with the compatibility check disabled floating about on xda, but I think the netflix app forces an app update now, which restores the compatibility check.

You'll need to uninstall any previous version of netflix and clear market data before installing any of them though, or you'll hav the same problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Reddit link discussing loads of options for streaming media and remote controls

Lifehacker tutorial not specifically around the mk802 but could be useful.

Here is a video of it running (slowly) Ubuntu and instuructions how to http://liliputing.com/2012/06/how-to-run-ubuntu-linux-on-the-mk802-74-pc-on-a-stick.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

This looks really good. Many thanks to the OP. :)

Does anyone know where you can get the 1GB version though? I am only really interested in that one.

amazon.com have it for 70 bucks delivered

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Link for Amazon? I can only find it @ 156 Sterling.

Jaden wrote: »
    Link for Amazon? I can only find it @ 156 Sterling.

http://www.amazon.com/OEM-SYSTEMS-COMPANY-MK802-Android/dp/B0086DVDCW

Currently unavailable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Having problems with the seller at the moment. The tracking number he sent me a week ago is invalid which leads me to believe he just marked as dispatched and sent me the number he is going to use. Emailed him last night and he's blaming the post office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

any word on the next shipment ?

• Advertisement

Yea, I had problems with the Aliexpress seller I had, I think the same as one of the posts earlier cancelled on Monday, can't get them.
    However I had the Amazon one ordered too just in case (showing as unavailable alright now) and that is down for dispatch on the pretty large window of June 25, 2012 - Wednesday July 11, 2012.
    We will see....

Advertisement