Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android-Driven Petite PC €57.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I haven't tried it yet, But how does Sopcast fair on it?

Linux or Android version.

http://www.sopcast.com/download/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

We have a little flatscreen with a HDMI in the kitchen, this might be the jobby for quick browsing and whatnot...

What would the deal with Customs be when its getting sent over?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I got mine delivered via an post registered mail and didn't get an customs charge.
    It was marked as something else for about $5 though... :p

Don't think others have been so lucky,,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Hi guys looking to get one of these for mainly streaming content from a NAS Drive and external HD.

Is the playback smooth ..

Also which website is the best to buy from , seen a few and I don't know which one is the real deal

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭cwboy

Was thinking of one of these for a Tv in the front of a school.

Just need it to run powerpoint like slideshows of school activities or display information for parents.

What do people think or is there a better alternative?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

cwboy wrote: »
    Was thinking of one of these for a Tv in the front of a school.

Just need it to run powerpoint like slideshows of school activities or display information for parents.

What do people think or is there a better alternative?

Thanks

This one - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056743804

Delivered for €55.71.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I've done some more research on the various Android sticks, if you want it for XBMC then currently the only ones which have hardware acceleration support are those based on the AmLogic AML8726M family of chips. This is because this is the chip used in the Pivos Xios media player and it is Pivos who are helping financially with the development of XBMC for Android.

The cheapest such stick I have found so far is the A22 from Pandawill which is US$55 inc. delivery and a basic IR remote control.

I am going to wait a bit more however as Geniatech who are the OEM manufacturers of all the Pivos media players have recently launched the ATV120 dual core stick so it should be widely available in the near future.

They have also launched the ATV1200 dual core media player which has an Ethernet port and component and optical audio.

Again these should be widely available soon under various different brand names. I expect futeko.com in the UK to have them before long.

The only other concern now is that Android XBMC is still very beta with some stability issues and incompatibilities with some add ons. But hopefully things will improve substantially in the coming months.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

zerks wrote: »

Anyone ordered from that site before? Was gonna get the MK808 dual core for 50 but might just go with the MK802 for 30

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Anyone ordered from that site before? Was gonna get the MK808 dual core for 50 but might just go with the MK802 for 30

Loads of people have ordered the tablet in this thread from McBub I don't re-call anyone saying they had a problem, they all seem to go smoothly.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Would this do the same job as WD TV Live?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Do-more wrote: »
    I've done some more research on the various Android sticks, if you want it for XBMC then currently the only ones which have hardware acceleration support are those based on the AmLogic AML8726M family of chips. This is because this is the chip used in the Pivos Xios media player and it is Pivos who are helping financially with the development of XBMC for Android.

The cheapest such stick I have found so far is the A22 from Pandawill which is US$55 inc. delivery and a basic IR remote control.

I am going to wait a bit more however as Geniatech who are the OEM manufacturers of all the Pivos media players have recently launched the ATV120 dual core stick so it should be widely available in the near future.

They have also launched the ATV1200 dual core media player which has an Ethernet port and component and optical audio.

Again these should be widely available soon under various different brand names. I expect futeko.com in the UK to have them before long.

The only other concern now is that Android XBMC is still very beta with some stability issues and incompatibilities with some add ons. But hopefully things will improve substantially in the coming months.

I too hope XBMC gets sorted, seems like its made for these things

Someone just posted this on another thread.....

..so maybe not so good.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭frankmul

http://www.rikomagic.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2284
    There may be a new version due for release shortly
    Model# MK802 III

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Someone just posted this on another thread.....

..so maybe not so good.

I ordered a tablet from McBub & had no problems,payment was via paypal.Shipping takes up to 3 weeks though so be aware if you do order anything it won't arrive in a couple of days.
    Thinking of ordering one of the mini pc's but might hold off for the latest version.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Took the plunge and ordered the MK808 after doing a bit of research and seeing that most of the bad reports about them are about them spamming fora. Worked out at just over €50 delivered. Going to hook it into my AV Receiver and use it to play FLAC audio and different types of HD media. (If it ever comes and doesn't blow up as soon as I plug it in :o)

Tazz T wrote: »

No, that's the 1gB Ram version of the original MK802 which are selling for about $30odd from China and you can get the remote for about $20.

If you order them separately you shouldn't get caught for customs so in total you are looking at around €45 or less direct from China, but you would be better off in any case going for one of the newer dual core sticks.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Certainly not the bargain they claim it is. There is no set of circumstances I can think of where the set up they are selling would cost >€200, as they claim.

They don't say what version dongle it is, but I am assuming the worst, as is usually the case with these 'bargains'. In that situation, you could get all that is offered here, direct from China, and including VAT/import duty, for less than the bargain price quoted here.

Are there any dual core ones out yet? I was holding out for this - http://www.futeko.com/products/MP00041.php

• Advertisement

Are there any dual core ones out yet? I was holding out for this - http://www.futeko.com/products/MP00041.php

It depends what you want it for.

If you want it for XBMC then make sure what you go for supports hardware acceleration like the one you have linked to from futeko. Any of the Allwinner or Rockchip based devices currently don't support hardware acceleration in XBMC although it looks like they are close to reverse engineering them to do so.

I emailed futeko just yesterday asking about the MyGica ATV1200 which is a dual core box with XBMC support and good audio connections. They said it hasn't gone into production yet but they should have it in about a month when it does.

Having previously bought a 1st. gen MK802 and being sorely disappointed with it I am going to wait until the ATV1200 is out and has been well reviewed before I buy one.

invest4deepvalue.com

Cheers for the info. I'll wait for the one above.

Or what about this? XBMC capability?

http://www.mcbub.com/item/New-Arrival-MK808-Android-4-1-Dual-Core-1-2GHz-1GB-8GB-HDMI-1080P-WIFI-3D-Mini-PC-152447/

Nope, that has the Rockchip RK3066, what you are looking for is something with the Amlogic 8726-M chip family preferably the Amlogic 8726-M6 or Amlogic 8726-MX which are the dual core versions or the Amlogic 8726-M3 which is the fastest of the single core versions. I think the firmware must also support XBMC hardware acceleration so you need to specifically look out for that also.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

Took the plunge and ordered the MK808 after doing a bit of research and seeing that most of the bad reports about them are about them spamming fora. Worked out at just over €50 delivered. Going to hook it into my AV Receiver and use it to play FLAC audio and different types of HD media. (If it ever comes and doesn't blow up as soon as I plug it in :o)

I have a couple of these and they are crackin'

Unbelievable little things

• Registered Users Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭mada999

is the a/v in sync? I bought the ug802 and there is an issue with a/v being out of sync when playing videos...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

No, that's the 1gB Ram version of the original MK802 which are selling for about $30odd from China and you can get the remote for about $20.

If you order them separately you shouldn't get caught for customs so in total you are looking at around €45 or less direct from China, but you would be better off in any case going for one of the newer dual core sticks.

Was tempted to go with that Pigsback deal,but dont know a whole pile about these things.Can someone recommend a better value device with keyboard etc?I presume dual core would be better/faster?If someone could post a link,that would be brilliant.Thanks!

Edit-http://www.mcbub.com/cheap-wholesale/mk808/
    How about this?Would it be good for general surfing,netflix etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

Bought it to use as a movie/Netflix/music/surf box. Planning on buying a nice TV for the bedroom and hooking this up to it.

My stick arrived today (MK802 II). It was filthy in the box. Not sure why. I was playing about with it, and stuck a 2.4ghz logitech wireless keyboard and mouse on it. No issues. It can be a bit sluggish at times. Took a good 30-40 seconds to load up, which gave me a fright, thinking it was a dud.

No issues connecting to the wireless or installing apps from the play store. Installed Angry birds space. Ran like a dream. No lag whatsoever. Installed Netflix...not so lucky. When I click it, it starts up fine, or appears to, as in the screen goes black for a brief moment as if its working but then just jumps back to the home screen. No warning or errors. Any ideas?

Aside from this, and the occasional sluggish behavior its pretty slick. Well worth the 38 something delivered. (I did buy a 16gb microdSD from memoryC too, which brought it up to nearer 50). It comes with miniHDMI to HDMI cable, power cable, mini usb to USB cable, usb 4 port hub (massive and ugly).

Anybody any fix for the netflix issue, would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

D
    Bought it to use as a movie/Netflix/music/surf box. Planning on buying a nice TV for the bedroom and hooking this up to it.

My stick arrived today (MK802 II). It was filthy in the box. Not sure why. I was playing about with it, and stuck a 2.4ghz logitech wireless keyboard and mouse on it. No issues. It can be a bit sluggish at times. Took a good 30-40 seconds to load up, which gave me a fright, thinking it was a dud.

No issues connecting to the wireless or installing apps from the play store. Installed Angry birds space. Ran like a dream. No lag whatsoever. Installed Netflix...not so lucky. When I click it, it starts up fine, or appears to, as in the screen goes black for a brief moment as if its working but then just jumps back to the home screen. No warning or errors. Any ideas?

Aside from this, and the occasional sluggish behavior its pretty slick. Well worth the 38 something delivered. (I did buy a 16gb microdSD from memoryC too, which brought it up to nearer 50). It comes with miniHDMI to HDMI cable, power cable, mini usb to USB cable, usb 4 port hub (massive and ugly).

Anybody any fix for the netflix issue, would be much appreciated.

Did you clear down to factory settings before getting started?
    You could try installing logcat to pull the system logs and see if the Netflix throws any errors when it crashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

gerryk wrote: »
    D

Did you clear down to factory settings before getting started?
    You could try installing logcat to pull the system logs and see if the Netflix throws any errors when it crashes.

No Just installed straight out of the box. I'll download logcat and see what is says. Thanks.

Edit: Logcat says Multicast has died, and also, SL_RESULT_FEATURE_UNSUPPORTED... what could that be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,631 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

as this is running jelly bean, does it support flash at all?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Advertisement