Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skangers on RTE news now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

old hippy wrote: »
    I disagree. That's far too simplistic. What he did is unforgiveable but you have to dig deeper and find the cause of such behaviour.

You can do that at the same time as they serve life in prison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

I have been viciously beaten and worse in the past. Severe head trauma, resulting in a decade of seizures, living in fear and compounding a life of depression already underway.

I hated it. I still hate it. But it also made me see beyond the black and white dogma offered up over these pages.

But I don't hate those who visited violence on me. Rather, I wanted to understand what leads to that kind of mindset.

dude,sort me out.i just need a little bud of what your smoking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

prinz wrote: »
    You can do that at the same time as they serve life in prison.

I'd rather be proactive than reactive. Stop the cycle and all that.

I'd rather be proactive than reactive. Stop the cycle and all that.

Right so we let these lads go with a slap on the wrist, and we'll stop the next head kicking murdering scumbags.... apparently. How about, and this might just blow your mind, we appropriately punish the killers, and try to stop it from happening again?

deco nate wrote: »
    dude,sort me out.i just need a little bud of what your smoking.

I'm sure you can buy a pack of marlboro lites in most newsagents, even in these desperate times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I have been viciously beaten and worse in the past. Severe head trauma, resulting in a decade of seizures, living in fear and compounding a life of depression already underway.

I hated it. I still hate it. But it also made me see beyond the black and white dogma offered up over these pages.

But I don't hate those who visited violence on me. Rather, I wanted to understand what leads to that kind of mindset.
    How zen of you.
    Sorry to tell you this but some people are just cünts. There is no excuse for what these guys did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Right so we let these lads go with a slap on the wrist, and we'll stop the next head kicking murdering scumbags.... apparently.

....he never suggested that, nor did he refer to sentencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,510 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I disagree. That's far too simplistic. What he did is unforgiveable but you have to dig deeper and find the cause of such behaviour.

You are aware they said that they started beating this poor man up for a "buzz". He stamped on his head and a man lost his life. No remorse was shown. If thats not badness i dont know what is. Someones home life doesnt come into it in this case. There is no excuse.

Right so we let these lads go with a slap on the wrist, and we'll stop the next head kicking murdering scumbags.... apparently. How about, and this might just blow your mind, we appropriately punish the killers, and try to stop it from happening again?

Less of this "we" business, please. I'm not in your little circle jerk of mob justice.

Less of this "we" business, please. I'm not in your little circle jerk of mob justice.

Yes of course, a life sentence in prison for the wanton needless muder of a total stranger for no other reason than for the buzz is "mob justice" now. Tell you what, give them a lollipop instead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

How zen of you.
    Sorry to tell you this but some people are just cünts. There is no excuse for what these guys did.

no,not that.

stoned:D

You are aware they said that they started beating this poor man up for a "buzz". He stamped on his head and a man lost his life. No remorse was shown. If thats not badness i dont know what is. Someones home life doesnt come into it in this case. There is no excuse.

There may be no excuse, as you put it. But there may be reasons as to the cause of this man's behaviour patterns.

Simply calling him out as bad or a scumbag doesn't cut it.

Yes of course, a life sentence in prison for the wanton needless muder of a total stranger for no other reason than for the buzz is "mob justice" now. Tell you what, give them a lollipop instead.

Very poor. Try harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

You were suggesting rather more than that earlier, as were others.

Very poor. Try harder.

All I've advocated on the thread is a life sentence. So how am I in a "circle jerk of mob justice"? Either you are saying a life sentence equates to mob justice or you haven't a clue what you are on about..

What sickens me is the lust for violent retribution. It's almost like my 70s schooldays all over again :rolleyes:

All I've advocated on the thread is a life sentence. So how am I in a "circle jerk of mob justice"? Either you are saying a life sentence equates to mob justice or you haven't a clue what you are on about..

And how am I handing out slaps on the wrists and lollipops?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

All I've advocated on the thread is a life sentence. So how am I in a "circle jerk of mob justice"?

I think without speaking for anyone here that old hippy was referring to the sort of people who were wishing death, torture or rape on these three, who are undoubtedly scumbags.

I understand why people do it but I do agree it's not a constructive or useful response to anything.

And how am I handing out slaps on the wrists and lollipops?

You stay sitting on the fence then like a good chap.

Millicent wrote: »
    I think without speaking for anyone here that old hippy was referring to the sort of people who were wishing death, torture or rape on these three, who are undoubtedly scumbags.

I understand why people do it but I do agree it's not a constructive or useful response to anything.

A "like" isn't enough here. Thank you, Millicent.

• Advertisement

I think without speaking for anyone here that old hippy was referring to the sort of people who were wishing death, torture or rape on these three, who are undoubtedly scumbags..

..and yet I was in the circle jerk of mob justice? Does not compute.

You stay sitting on the fence then like a good chap.

Which is it, lollipops, slaps, fences or supporting murder? Make your mind up, a chara.

Which is it, lollipops, slaps, fences or supporting murder? Make your mind up, a chara.

Good man. You haven't actually contributed anything in terms of fair punishment whatsoever on the thread. If that's what gets you off go for it. Don't be suprised when other people have the courage to take a real stand.

..and yet I was in the circle jerk of mob justice? Does not compute.

I wasn't saying that you were. Apologies if it came off that way.

I wasn't saying that you were. Apologies if it came off that way.

No worries, it wasn't you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

There may be no excuse, as you put it. But there may be reasons as to the cause of this man's behaviour patterns.

Simply calling him out as bad or a scumbag doesn't cut it.

And if the reasons are poverty, childhood abuse, drug abuse....what then.

Many people go through such things and don't end up committing acts of barbarism.

One of our basic rights as humans is the right to be able to live without fear. Anyone who takes it upon themselves to take this basic right from anyone has to pay a price for it.
    There are consequences for every action we choose to take in life. A bad start in life simply can't be used as a get out of jail card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Put dem in de jail , den blow up de jail , den build a new jail and blow up dat jail too .

Datll fix 'em

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭alphanine

I have no problem paying for them to be behind bars and prevented from jumping up and down on some other head. Better return on the money than using it to pay them Jobseekers etc no questions asked and a state pension and leave them continue to be a danger to society.

We can sit here talking about rehabilitation all you want, but I don't think any of the three in the present case are deserving of even the chance to be rehabilitated.

A cost benefit analysis would suggest that it's probably cheaper to the tax payer to keep paying the scum social welfare. What would these people be like if they didn't receive 'help' from the decent tax payers in the country? Crime would be through the roof. But keeping them in jail for longer costs the tax payer even more which we can't afford to do.
    Simple equation: Generous social welfare + no abortion = exponential scum bags.

alphanine wrote: »
    A cost benefit analysis would suggest that it's probably cheaper to the tax payer to keep paying the scum social welfare.

There's more to life than cost/benefit. To think that as a society we would rather pay them to live free on the outside as opposed to in a small empty cell after what they put that man through because of a cost analysis sickens me. The tax payer deserves to be kept safe from scum like that. If it takes more money so be it.

• Advertisement

And if the reasons are poverty, childhood abuse, drug abuse....what then.

Many people go through such things and don't end up committing acts of barbarism.

One of our basic rights as humans is the right to be able to live without fear. Anyone who takes it upon themselves to take this basic right from anyone has to pay a price for it.
    There are consequences for every action we choose to take in life. A bad start in life simply can't be used as a get out of jail card.

It can't but at the same time it's useful to get to the root of bad behaviours than to simply retaliate without giving any thought to rehabilitation.

I am in the odd position of having come through the other side of some very bad shit in my past and who can sort of empathise with people who are scummers. I'm not proud of it but I can honestly say that with a few more influences/bad events, I may have ended up going down a very bad road. I'm not a bad person at all but there were times when I honestly could have done someone very bad harm if provoked.

A bad start in life shouldn't be a get out of free jail card but understanding what landed someone in jail in the first place and working to fix that is what we, if we want to be thought of as a society worth having, need to do.

Anger and retribution is easy; change and rehab is not.

Advertisement