Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC On-Demand (was RTÉ Player etc) [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Im fed up waiting for the on Demand to work so I'm going to move to sky now that they are doing half price.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

chris.o wrote: »
    Worst digital product roll out in history...
    What would you say are the top 5 worse digital rollouts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I'd presume it was this one and the four previous UPC rollouts:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

i honestly dont see the point of on demand if it is not regularly updated, hopefully upc will surprise us soon:)

I'd presume it was this one and the four previous UPC rollouts:D
    He's here all week folks! :)

• Advertisement

RTE slot now added to On Demand. Three seasons of Naked Camera currently there.
    Poirot and adventures of Sherlock Holmes added to UK Favs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Would be great if RTE added Bachelors Walk or Paths To Freedom to their OD content.

They won't though,it will be seasons of garbage like Republic of Telly or that fat annoying lady who dresses up as stereotypes show.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭michaelduignan

Why is RTE player on UPC so different to RTE player on RTE website??

The UPC version has hardly any material except soaps and late late show.

e.g. "Hell on Wheels", new series on RTE, is available on website but not UPC version. As well as all sports.

Are UPC working on beefing up content?

Why is RTE player on UPC so different to RTE player on RTE website??

The UPC version has hardly any material except soaps and late late show.

e.g. "Hell on Wheels", new series on RTE, is available on website but not UPC version. As well as all sports.

Are UPC working on beefing up content?

It's down to rights issues. It's what RTE is letting UPC have.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 chris.o

I just got off the phone with UPC's "loyalty department" who said they will have it rolled out by...

Wait for it...

Christmas!

They raised my bill this month by €2.63... They increased their overall fee and increased their non direct debit charge.

• Advertisement

Would be great if RTE added Bachelors Walk or Paths To Freedom to their OD content.

They won't though,it will be seasons of garbage like Republic of Telly or that fat annoying lady who dresses up as stereotypes show.

I'd love to see Bachelors Walk and Paths To Freedom again. Maybe some stuff from The Live Mike from years ago.

Killinaskully and Trivia added to RTE comedy slot. I'd say there'll also be a Drama section and we can expect Raw and the Clinic and to be on the way. Netflix just signed the same deal. Looks like UPC will be getting the same.

By the way for all those wondering about when OD and other issues... there's a new talk back forum for UPC here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1546

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shane.

release date for on demand in dublin 12 is december 1st for those who dont have it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭steveLFC24

shane. wrote: »
    release date for on demand in dublin 12 is december 1st for those who dont have it yet

Cheers for that mate, saved me the hassle of ringing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 WoodenShoe

shane. wrote: »

I am thinking of somewhere in the beginning of October....

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Flip Flop

Just noticed that both the Good Wife and Blue Bloods have disappeared from the US Boxset selection. Very annoyed about this as I was only 2/3 through Season One of Blue Bloods and both shows weren't meant to expire till December 31st.:mad:

WoodenShoe wrote: »
    I am thinking of somewhere in the beginning of October....

wanna bet money on that!?! 1st dec mate

Flip Flop wrote: »
    Just noticed that both the Good Wife and Blue Bloods have disappeared from the US Boxset selection. Very annoyed about this as I was only 2/3 through Season One of Blue Bloods and both shows weren't meant to expire till December 31st.:mad:

Nurse Jackie gone as well. it might be temporary especially if, as you mention, the shows are not meant to expire till end of Dec.

UPDATE ON BOX SETS. Noticed on Twitter that some people were complaining about the missing box sets. Apparently it's a tech hitch and they'll be back ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I was one of those who complained on twitter. Fair enough they were quick to get back. Didn't say a tech issue though, just they were having issues with them and hope to be sorted soon

Dodge wrote: »
    I was one of those who complained on twitter. Fair enough they were quick to get back. Didn't say a tech issue though, just they were having issues with them and hope to be sorted soon

Tech hitch was my assumption based on the replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bodan

There is a message up on UPC on demand, that "due to essential maintenance, this service is not available until 7am, we apologise for any inconvenience."

maybe the tech hitch was more serious than anyone thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Just as I was about to check for Homeland, ondemand is down :-(

Just as I was about to check for Homeland, ondemand is down :-(
    I doubt Homeland will be on RTE player.

Eamo71 wrote: »

It's not on the UPC RTE Player but confirmed yesterday it would on the RTE Player (which it is http://www.rte.ie/tvplayer/ie/show/10058491/).

Which begs the question, why are there two RTE Players? Why is the UPC one not getting everything?

Eamo71 wrote: »

It's not on the UPC RTE Player but confirmed yesterday it would on the RTE Player (which it is http://www.rte.ie/tvplayer/ie/show/10058491/).

Which begs the question, why are there two RTE Players? Why is the UPC one not getting everything?
    It's a good question one that many people seen to be asking. Rights issues tend to get in the way of UPC's player not showing GAA and other sport. But Homeland and other Imported stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Its not just the UPC player it isn't on the iphone/ipad app either. Nor is any of RTE's sporting content

So their rights permit streaming via their website to laptops, which could in the case of apple, airplay to the TV or be connected by cable.

What is the difference between this and UPC? Doesn't the UPC feed just pull down the same video from the same CDN as the website? You would think RTE would have rights for 7/21 day catch up online regardless of the client, UPC OnDemand is IP based, our media boxes are just another client.

What's next, rights based on browser or OS version?

So their rights permit streaming via their website to laptops, which could in the case of apple, airplay to the TV or be connected by cable.

What is the difference between this and UPC? Doesn't the UPC feed just pull down the same video from the same CDN as the website? You would think RTE would have rights for 7/21 day catch up online regardless of the client, UPC OnDemand is IP based, our media boxes are just another client.

What's next, rights based on browser or OS version?

Jesus, don't encourage Apple!! ;-)

just had another update from upc in relation to on demand at my address, seems 1st dec for d12 was incorrect and it is now sometime next year!......oh well!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

What is the difference between this and UPC? Doesn't the UPC feed just pull down the same video from the same CDN as the website?

Nope, the adverts are played as separate videos online, whereas the UPC version has no commercial adverts, but incorporates a single trailer as part of the same video as the show. This means the videos for the UPC version are actually of slightly longer lengths than on the website.

Advertisement